|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the the narrator's friend say artists in Prague will moan about?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The totalitarian state.
(c) Lack of funds.
(d) The Czech youth.
2. Who offers the narrator and Utz snacks?
3. How does Utz want to use the money he has in Switzerland?
(a) To buy a car.
(b) To get out of Czechoslovakia.
(c) To buy more porcelain.
(d) To bribe the government.
4. What part of Prague do Utz and the narrator spend their afternoon strolling through?
(a) Mala Strana.
(c) Stare Strana.
(d) Vaclavske Namesti.
5. What does a Golem have in his mouth or across his forehead?
(a) A strip of metal.
(b) An iron rod.
(c) A strip of plastic.
(d) A steel rod.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Orlik suggest he and Utz flee to?
2. What is the name of Utz's servant?
3. What does Marta drink at breakfast?
4. What color carnations does Urlik place on Utz's coffin?
5. In what country does Utz say he still had money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the communist state divert people's attentions from the Christian rituals of Utz's funeral?
2. Where does the golem legend have its roots?
3. Why does the narrator's friend send him to meet Utz?
4. How does the narrator describe Utz?
5. How did Utz's grandmother ignite Utz's interest in Porcelain collecting?
6. How does Utz say he was able to keep his porcelain collection?
7. How does Utz prove he is racially pure?
8. Why does Dr. Orlik study the household fly?
9. How does Utz develop his theory about porcelain collecting?
10. Why is there no trout available at the trout restaurant?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)