|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Utz start to watch in the cinema twice a week?
(a) Japanese films.
(b) Chinese films.
(c) Soviet films.
(d) Hollywood films.
2. How does Utz want to use the money he has in Switzerland?
(a) To bribe the government.
(b) To buy more porcelain.
(c) To get out of Czechoslovakia.
(d) To buy a car.
3. What city are the chairs in Utz's room from?
4. What does Utz disavow after Germany surrenders?
(a) His German passport.
(b) His Nazi membership.
(c) His German family.
(d) His brother.
5. Who are the all trout at the restaurant reserved for?
(a) The Communist party members.
(b) The shop keepers.
(c) The American officials.
(d) The Government officials.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Utz's doctor prescribe him?
2. Which political group has laid a wreath on Utz's coffin?
3. What does the bear symbolize?
4. Where does Orlik suggest he and Utz flee to?
5. What does the the narrator's friend say artists in Prague will moan about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Orlik do every time he sees a fly in the restaurant?
2. How does Utz prove he is racially pure?
3. How does Utz say he was able to keep his porcelain collection?
4. Where does the golem legend have its roots?
5. Why has the narrator come to Prague?
6. Why did the Nazis preserve the Jewish cemetery?
7. How does Rabbi Loew stop Yossel from running amok?
8. Why does Dr. Orlik study the household fly?
9. Why do the Jews think Adam was the first golem?
10. Describe Utz's apartment.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)