|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Utz say he felt when the secret police left his apartment?
2. How does Utz want to use the money he has in Switzerland?
(a) To buy a car.
(b) To get out of Czechoslovakia.
(c) To buy more porcelain.
(d) To bribe the government.
3. What does Utz's apartment overlook?
(a) The Old Jewish Cemetary.
(b) Old Town Square.
(c) Namesti Miru.
(d) Wencelas Square.
4. What does a Golem have in his mouth or across his forehead?
(a) A strip of plastic.
(b) A strip of metal.
(c) A steel rod.
(d) An iron rod.
5. Why did the narrator go to Prague?
(a) To study at university.
(b) For historical research.
(c) As a spy.
(d) To oust the Communist government.
6. Who is Marta toasting at four pm?
(a) The bear.
(c) The Bolsheviks.
7. Where did Utz's grandmother live?
(a) Ceske Krumlov.
(d) Ceske Krizove.
8. What does Utz's doctor prescribe him?
(a) A visit to Utopia.
(b) A visit to the forest region.
(c) A visit to the spa.
(d) A visit to the mountains.
9. What character from the bible was said to be a Golem?
10. What color is Utz's carpet?
11. Where does Utz meet the narrator?
(a) A bar.
(b) A park.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A cafe.
12. What does Utz cram on his mirror backed shelves?
13. Where city did Utz rescue the Barcelona chairs from?
14. Where was the bear shot?
(d) The Black Forest.
15. What does the the narrator's friend say artists in Prague will moan about?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The Czech youth.
(c) The totalitarian state.
(d) Lack of funds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Utz start to watch in the cinema twice a week?
2. Which member of the secret police drops a porcelain piece on the floor?
3. What religion did Utz's grandmother convert to?
4. What kind of bear is at the end of the table?
5. What is the name of the river that runs through Prague?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)