|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Louis when he moved to America?
2. What did Louis and Mitchell see in the third and fourth stories of the restaurant?
3. What is the name of the dragger captain Mitchell meets?
4. What is the occupation of the man in love with Peggy?
5. Where did Gould want 1/2 of his manuscript to go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which story in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories is the most remarkable? How does Mitchell make this story remarkable?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of setting In Mitchell's stories. What setting is most significant? Does setting ever come off more strongly than the characters and plots in the stories? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
How do elements of humor contrast with elements of darkness in Mitchell's collection of short stories? Give three specific examples.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)