|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Louis when he moved to America?
2. Where did Joe feel most at home?
3. Which description matches the painting Joe was in?
4. In the story about Mr. Hunter's grave, who admits to enjoying cemetery walks?
5. What does "The Bottom of the Harbor" describe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the intended audience of Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? How do you know? Analyze the role diction and other literary devices play in shaping an ideal audience for this collection of short stories.
Essay Topic 2
Jane, Lady Olga the bearded lady, has an interesting outlook on life. Describe this point of view. Has Jane given up on life? Has she given up on changing her fate? Is she happy?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the theme of anger play in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? Describe at least three ways in which Mitchell develops this theme.
This section contains 193 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)