|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Hugh Flood at the time the events Mitchell writes about occurred?
2. What crop does Dockery farm?
3. Mitchell believes that to Peggy, what purpose did the little girl serve?
4. What is the name of the community with the run-down cemetery?
5. Why was it illegal for people to harvest the bay in Andrew's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the intended audience of Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? How do you know? Analyze the role diction and other literary devices play in shaping an ideal audience for this collection of short stories.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Mitchell lose interest in Joe Gould? What sparked his interest again?
Essay Topic 3
Which story in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories is the most remarkable? How does Mitchell make this story remarkable?
This section contains 178 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)