|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hugh Flood is referred to as which of the following?
2. What is the former name of the building Louis' owns?
3. What hotel did Hugh Flood live in?
4. In "On the Wagon," what did the man need to do to keep his job?
5. What crop does Dockery farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of Mitchell's stories involve the ocean or harvesting for seafood. To what extent is the ocean a symbol in Mitchell's stories? What does the ocean symbolize? Is it just a coincidence?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role naivety plays in some of the stories in this collection. Which stories and characters are most representative of naivety? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In many of Mitchell's stories, characters are torn between heritage and life. Describe at least three examples of ways in which Mitchell develops this theme in more than one story in the collection. Also, explain what Mitchell's intent is in sharing stories with this particular theme.
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)