|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim's companion compares which of the following to necessary oil?
2. What event does Mr. Cusack consider exciting?
3. What industry was Louis' family in before he moved?
4. Which description matches the painting Joe was in?
5. Where did Gould want 2/3 of his manuscript to go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the theme of anger play in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? Describe at least three ways in which Mitchell develops this theme.
Essay Topic 2
How do elements of humor contrast with elements of darkness in Mitchell's collection of short stories? Give three specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the intended audience of Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? How do you know? Analyze the role diction and other literary devices play in shaping an ideal audience for this collection of short stories.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)