|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "On the Wagon," what did the man need to do to keep his job?
2. What food did Hugh Flood eat most?
3. In which year did Hugh Floor believe he would die?
4. Hugh Flood is referred to as which of the following?
5. What is the name of the restaurant in "Up in the Old Hotel"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role naivety plays in some of the stories in this collection. Which stories and characters are most representative of naivety? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How do elements of humor contrast with elements of darkness in Mitchell's collection of short stories? Give three specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Many of Mitchell's stories involve the ocean or harvesting for seafood. To what extent is the ocean a symbol in Mitchell's stories? What does the ocean symbolize? Is it just a coincidence?
This section contains 176 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)