|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "On the Wagon," what is the name of the man's girlfriend?
2. What name does Mr. Cusack assign to people who act strangely during the full moon?
3. What is the name of the community with the run-down cemetery?
4. Who does Peggy ask to walk her home?
5. In "On the Wagon," what did the man need to do to keep his job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Mitchell lose interest in Joe Gould? What sparked his interest again?
Essay Topic 2
In many of Mitchell's stories, characters are torn between heritage and life. Describe at least three examples of ways in which Mitchell develops this theme in more than one story in the collection. Also, explain what Mitchell's intent is in sharing stories with this particular theme.
Essay Topic 3
Which story in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories is the most remarkable? How does Mitchell make this story remarkable?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)