|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Mike been sober?
2. What is Ellory's natural talent?
3. Mr. Cusack found men throwing what item into the river one evening?
4. In "I Blame it all on Mama," what did the woman do when Mitchell asked her about her drinking?
5. What food did Hugh Flood eat most?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1In many of Mitchell's stories, characters are torn between heritage and life. Describe at least three examples of ways in which Mitchell develops this theme in more than one story in the collection. Also, explain what Mitchell's intent is in sharing stories with this particular theme.
Essay Topic 2Who is the intended audience of Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? How do you know? Analyze the role diction and other literary devices play in shaping an ideal audience for this collection of short stories.
Essay Topic 3Many of Mitchell's stories involve the ocean or harvesting for seafood. To what extent is the ocean a symbol in Mitchell's stories? What does the ocean symbolize? Is it just a coincidence?
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)