|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Mr. Cusack consider exciting?
2. Who is the main "character" in the story called "The Kind Old Blonde"?
3. What does "The Bottom of the Harbor" describe?
4. What was Peggy self-conscious about?
5. Where did Joe feel most at home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Mitchell lose interest in Joe Gould? What sparked his interest again?
Essay Topic 2
In many of Mitchell's stories, characters are torn between heritage and life. Describe at least three examples of ways in which Mitchell develops this theme in more than one story in the collection. Also, explain what Mitchell's intent is in sharing stories with this particular theme.
Essay Topic 3
Think about the story about Philippa Schuyler, the musical prodigy with parents who force a strict diet of all raw food on her. Does Mitchell seem more interested in Philippa or her parents? Explain how you know, focusing on specific examples.
This section contains 188 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)