|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year did Hugh Floor believe he would die?
2. What is the name of the dragger captain Mitchell meets?
3. Who does Peggy ask to walk her home?
4. In "I Blame it all on Mama," what did the woman do when Mitchell asked her about her drinking?
5. What was Peggy self-conscious about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many of Mitchell's stories, characters are torn between heritage and life. Describe at least three examples of ways in which Mitchell develops this theme in more than one story in the collection. Also, explain what Mitchell's intent is in sharing stories with this particular theme.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the intended audience of Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? How do you know? Analyze the role diction and other literary devices play in shaping an ideal audience for this collection of short stories.
Essay Topic 3
Poole is one character who seems quite sure that everything is always getting worse. Explore this concept in terms of other short stories and subjects in these stories to argue for or against Poole's point. What does Mitchell seem to think about this idea?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)