|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Hugh's close friend?
2. What is the name of the man who guessed Hugh Flood would die soon?
3. Who did Peggy tell that she was punished by God for being bad?
4. How does Mitchell remain out of the loop in Peggy's story?
5. What did Mr. Cusack receive as a gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which story in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories is the most remarkable? How does Mitchell make this story remarkable?
Essay Topic 2
Poole is one character who seems quite sure that everything is always getting worse. Explore this concept in terms of other short stories and subjects in these stories to argue for or against Poole's point. What does Mitchell seem to think about this idea?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the intended audience of Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? How do you know? Analyze the role diction and other literary devices play in shaping an ideal audience for this collection of short stories.
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)