|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the biggest contrast between Bill and his father?
2. What happened to the money people sent to Mitchell for the "cave dwellers"?
3. What kind of farm does Barbee own?
4. Jane has only a limited ability to be which of the following?
5. Why did Jane decide not to shave her face?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Charles Cassell?
2. Why did Peggy lie to the little girl?
3. Why does Hugh Flood get mad at Mr. Mooney?
4. Why did Jane choose not to shave her beard?
5. After Peggy talks to the little girl, why does she ask the bartender to walk her home?
6. Why is the story about Joe Gould last in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories?
7. Who is Mr. Hunter?
8. Why did Joe decide to live in New York?
9. Who are the Cave Dwellers?
10. What significance does Mr. Cusack place on the full moon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the intended audience of Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? How do you know? Analyze the role diction and other literary devices play in shaping an ideal audience for this collection of short stories.
Essay Topic 2
What message about self-acceptance do you think Mitchell tries to send through stories like that of Peggy?
Essay Topic 3
Jane, Lady Olga the bearded lady, has an interesting outlook on life. Describe this point of view. Has Jane given up on life? Has she given up on changing her fate? Is she happy?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)