|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the historian for a club for deaf people?
2. Joe said that the animals in the streets were "aching souls" of what type of person?
3. How old was Jane when she grew a full beard?
4. Who did Mazie cite as being helpful?
5. What would James Hall do to preach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it significant that Mr. Flood is a compilation of people?
2. Why does Hugh Flood get mad at Mr. Mooney?
3. How is seafood a symbol in the story about Hugh Flood?
4. Why does Mitchell include a personal anecdote in Cassell's story, and is it an effective technique?
5. Where does the title "Professor Sea Gull" come from?
6. How does Mitchell describe McSorley's?
7. Who is Joe Gould?
8. Who is Mr. Hunter?
9. Is Joe an exhibitionist?
10. What kind of relationship did Jane have with her parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character would you choose to write a full-length biography about if you were Mitchell? Explain why this character made such a big impression on you.
Essay Topic 2
Think about the story about Philippa Schuyler, the musical prodigy with parents who force a strict diet of all raw food on her. Does Mitchell seem more interested in Philippa or her parents? Explain how you know, focusing on specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the painting that Joe Gould was in. What did this prove about Joe? Was he an exhibitionist? Would he have wanted his life to be portrayed in the way it is in Mitchell's stories? How do you know?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)