|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person Mitchell talks about in "A Mess of Clams"?
2. What was the name of the man who opened "The Old House at Home"?
3. James Hall's requests mostly came from what kind of person?
4. Who told Mitchell about the club for deaf people?
5. Which person was known as Houdini in Harlem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Louis Morino?
2. What are Mitchell's feelings about the privacy of his subjects?
3. Describe Philippa's parents and situation at home.
4. Where does the title "Professor Sea Gull" come from?
5. What kind of relationship did Jane have with her parents?
6. Why is it significant that Mr. Flood is a compilation of people?
7. Why is the story about Joe Gould last in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories?
8. Who is Philippa Schuyler?
9. Why did Joe decide to live in New York?
10. Why does Mitchell include a personal anecdote in Cassell's story, and is it an effective technique?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Mitchell lose interest in Joe Gould? What sparked his interest again?
Essay Topic 2
Is Mitchell a reliable narrator? Why or why not? What are some possible roadblocks for Mitchell to be a reliable narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Think about the story about Philippa Schuyler, the musical prodigy with parents who force a strict diet of all raw food on her. Does Mitchell seem more interested in Philippa or her parents? Explain how you know, focusing on specific examples.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)