|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which person that Mitchell writes about wears a scarf to hide his or her face?
2. What did the "Old Yankee" run?
3. Who is "Professor Sea Gull"?
4. Mitchell claims to have often helped his father do which activity?
5. What occupation does Jane dream of having?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Peggy talks to the little girl, why does she ask the bartender to walk her home?
2. What is "On the Wagon" about?
3. What is the message behind the story about Peggy?
4. Why is the memory of being hit by a cow significant to Cassell's story?
5. Who is Philippa Schuyler?
6. Why did Mitchell lose interest in Joe?
7. What happens in "I Blame it all on Mama"?
8. Who is Joe Gould?
9. Who are the Cave Dwellers?
10. Who is Jane Barnell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which story in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories is the most remarkable? How does Mitchell make this story remarkable?
Essay Topic 2
Jane, Lady Olga the bearded lady, has an interesting outlook on life. Describe this point of view. Has Jane given up on life? Has she given up on changing her fate? Is she happy?
Essay Topic 3
Is Mitchell a reliable narrator? Why or why not? What are some possible roadblocks for Mitchell to be a reliable narrator?
This section contains 1,357 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)