|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trend became apparent for Mohawk Indian religion?
2. What were the names of Mazie's sisters?
3. Who told Mitchell about the club for deaf people?
4. Who did Mazie cite as being helpful?
5. How did Mazie spend most of her evenings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jane choose to live the circus life?
2. Is Joe an exhibitionist?
3. What is the significance of the rats in the street at night?
4. What was the main rule at McSorley's and why?
5. What does Mitchell think about "Santa Clause Smith"?
6. Why does Hugh Flood get mad at Mr. Mooney?
7. What do you think about "Santa Clause Smith"? Is he benevolent or malicious?
8. Why did Barbee own a terrapin shop and why did many people purchase them?
9. How is seafood a symbol in the story about Hugh Flood?
10. Why is Mitchell interested in the painting of Joe Gould?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about the story about Philippa Schuyler, the musical prodigy with parents who force a strict diet of all raw food on her. Does Mitchell seem more interested in Philippa or her parents? Explain how you know, focusing on specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Is Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories a motivational collection? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the theme of anger play in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? Describe at least three ways in which Mitchell develops this theme.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)