|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school did Joe attend?
2. Who is described as the "Old Yankee"?
3. What did James Hall believe that he was doing?
4. What is the name of Jane's husband?
5. How did Mazie spend most of her evenings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Philippa Schuyler?
2. Who are the Cave Dwellers?
3. What changes occurred for the Mohawk Indians?
4. Why is the memory of being hit by a cow significant to Cassell's story?
5. Describe Dockery.
6. Why is it significant that Mr. Flood is a compilation of people?
7. How did people feel about the scam Commodore Dutch put on?
8. What significance does Mr. Cusack place on the full moon?
9. What happens in "I Blame it all on Mama"?
10. What kind of relationship did Jane have with her parents?
Essay Topic 1
What role does the theme of anger play in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? Describe at least three ways in which Mitchell develops this theme.
Essay Topic 2
What message about self-acceptance do you think Mitchell tries to send through stories like that of Peggy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of setting In Mitchell's stories. What setting is most significant? Does setting ever come off more strongly than the characters and plots in the stories? Explain.
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)