|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Spism and Spasm," what did the main character become?
2. Who is the historian for a club for deaf people?
3. Who was not allowed to enter "The Old House at Home"?
4. What was the name of the man who opened "The Old House at Home"?
5. What occupation does Jane dream of having?
Short Essay Questions
1. What assumption does Mitchell make about the cave dwellers?
2. Describe Philippa's parents and situation at home.
3. What does Mitchell think about "Santa Clause Smith"?
4. Why did Joe decide to live in New York?
5. Who is Mr. Cusack?
6. Who is Philippa Schuyler?
7. Why does Mitchell include a personal anecdote in Cassell's story, and is it an effective technique?
8. What kind of relationship did Jane have with her parents?
9. What tone does Mitchell use to discuss the personalities in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories?
10. Who is Mr. Hunter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Hugh Flood a significant character? What characteristics are interesting in this subject? Why is it important to note that he is actually a compilation of different people Mitchell knows?
Essay Topic 2
Many of Mitchell's stories involve the ocean or harvesting for seafood. To what extent is the ocean a symbol in Mitchell's stories? What does the ocean symbolize? Is it just a coincidence?
Essay Topic 3
Which story in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories is the most remarkable? How does Mitchell make this story remarkable?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)