|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jane decide not to shave her face?
2. For what reason did Bill often close his business early?
3. What occupation did Jane Barnell have?
4. In "Spism and Spasm," what did the main character become?
5. What was the biggest contrast between Bill and his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mazie Gordon?
2. Who is Louis Morino?
3. Describe Philippa's parents and situation at home.
4. Who is Commodore Dutch?
5. How did people feel about the scam Commodore Dutch put on?
6. Describe Hugh Flood's thoughts about death.
7. What was the main rule at McSorley's and why?
8. Is Joe an exhibitionist?
9. Why did Jane choose to live the circus life?
10. Why did Jane choose not to shave her beard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Mitchell a reliable narrator? Why or why not? What are some possible roadblocks for Mitchell to be a reliable narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Jane, Lady Olga the bearded lady, has an interesting outlook on life. Describe this point of view. Has Jane given up on life? Has she given up on changing her fate? Is she happy?
Essay Topic 3
Which story in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories is the most remarkable? How does Mitchell make this story remarkable?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)