|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason did Bill often close his business early?
2. What did the "Old Yankee" run?
3. How did the "cave dwellers" feel after they read their story?
4. How old is Philippa Duke Schuyler?
5. What were the names of Mazie's sisters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Cave Dwellers?
2. Which subject is the biggest supporter of the idea that things are always getting worse?
3. What happens in "I Blame it all on Mama"?
4. What was the main rule at McSorley's and why?
5. How does technology affect Mr. Flood and Mr. Cusack?
6. What does Mitchell learn from visiting the club for deaf people?
7. How did people feel about the scam Commodore Dutch put on?
8. Why did Peggy lie to the little girl?
9. Why is the story about Joe Gould last in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories?
10. Who is Hugh Flood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories a motivational collection? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In many of Mitchell's stories, characters are torn between heritage and life. Describe at least three examples of ways in which Mitchell develops this theme in more than one story in the collection. Also, explain what Mitchell's intent is in sharing stories with this particular theme.
Essay Topic 3
What role do vices like alcohol play in Mitchell's stories? What message do the stories tend to send about the use of these vices?
This section contains 1,420 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)