|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the "Old Yankee" run?
2. Joe said that the animals in the streets were "aching souls" of what type of person?
3. Which character looked down on possessions?
4. Under what circumstance would Mazie give the poor a ticket for free?
5. What did Charles often sell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Philippa Schuyler?
2. What assumption does Mitchell make about the cave dwellers?
3. Who is Hugh Flood?
4. Who is Mr. Cusack?
5. What kind of relationship did Jane have with her parents?
6. What are Mitchell's feelings about the privacy of his subjects?
7. How is seafood a symbol in the story about Hugh Flood?
8. Who is Andrew Zimmer?
9. Describe Hugh Flood's thoughts about death.
10. What does Jim's companion teach him in "The Kind Old Blonde"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Mitchell lose interest in Joe Gould? What sparked his interest again?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role naivety plays in some of the stories in this collection. Which stories and characters are most representative of naivety? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What role do vices like alcohol play in Mitchell's stories? What message do the stories tend to send about the use of these vices?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)