|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of farm does Barbee own?
2. Jane has only a limited ability to be which of the following?
3. Under what circumstance would Mazie give the poor a ticket for free?
4. What was the name of the theater Mazie worked at?
5. Which adjective best describes the atmosphere of McSorley's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Louis Morino?
2. Describe the role of the theme of people being torn by life and heritage in Mitchell's collection of stories.
3. Why did Louis insist on ending the visit to the upper floors of his building?
4. Is Joe an exhibitionist?
5. How did people feel about the scam Commodore Dutch put on?
6. Why did Mitchell lose interest in Joe?
7. Why did Barbee own a terrapin shop and why did many people purchase them?
8. What assumption does Mitchell make about the cave dwellers?
9. What do you think about "Santa Clause Smith"? Is he benevolent or malicious?
10. Why is it significant that Mr. Flood is a compilation of people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What message about self-acceptance do you think Mitchell tries to send through stories like that of Peggy?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the theme of anger play in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? Describe at least three ways in which Mitchell develops this theme.
Essay Topic 3
Which character would you choose to write a full-length biography about if you were Mitchell? Explain why this character made such a big impression on you.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)