|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Jane when she grew a full beard?
2. What occupation did Jane Barnell have?
3. What is the name of the person Mitchell talks about in "A Mess of Clams"?
4. What school did Joe attend?
5. How did Mazie spend most of her evenings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hugh Flood?
2. Describe Philippa's parents and situation at home.
3. Why is the story about Joe Gould last in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories?
4. Who is Jane Barnell?
5. Who is Joe Gould?
6. Who is Philippa Schuyler?
7. Which subject is the biggest supporter of the idea that things are always getting worse?
8. What assumption does Mitchell make about the cave dwellers?
9. Who is Mr. Cusack?
10. Why did Jane choose to live the circus life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories a motivational collection? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of setting In Mitchell's stories. What setting is most significant? Does setting ever come off more strongly than the characters and plots in the stories? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Is Mitchell a reliable narrator? Why or why not? What are some possible roadblocks for Mitchell to be a reliable narrator?
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)