|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street was McSorley's located?
2. What was Daniel O'Connell's profession before he retired?
3. What is the name of Jane's husband?
4. What was the term James Hall believed was occurring?
5. Who is the main personality in "The Same as Monkey Glands"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What assumption does Mitchell make about the cave dwellers?
2. How does technology affect Mr. Flood and Mr. Cusack?
3. Why did Jane choose not to shave her beard?
4. How did people feel about the scam Commodore Dutch put on?
5. Why is Mitchell interested in the painting of Joe Gould?
6. Why is the memory of being hit by a cow significant to Cassell's story?
7. Who is Commodore Dutch?
8. After Peggy talks to the little girl, why does she ask the bartender to walk her home?
9. What happens in "I Blame it all on Mama"?
10. Who is Mr. Cusack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Which story in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories is the most remarkable? How does Mitchell make this story remarkable?
Essay Topic 2In many of Mitchell's stories, characters are torn between heritage and life. Describe at least three examples of ways in which Mitchell develops this theme in more than one story in the collection. Also, explain what Mitchell's intent is in sharing stories with this particular theme.
Essay Topic 3What message about self-acceptance do you think Mitchell tries to send through stories like that of Peggy?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)