Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Philippa a prodigy in?
2. Who claimed to be angry at people who said they were tired of noises?
3. When did Bill sell "The Old House at Home"?
4. Who was not allowed to enter "The Old House at Home"?
5. Which adjective best describes the atmosphere of McSorley's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Philippa's parents and situation at home.
2. Who are the Cave Dwellers?
3. Who is Joe Gould?
4. Describe Hugh Flood's thoughts about death.
5. Where does the title "Professor Sea Gull" come from?
6. Why is the memory of being hit by a cow significant to Cassell's story?
7. What is the significance of the rats in the street at night?
8. How does Ellery's attitude differ from that of other captains?
9. Who is Charles Cassell?
10. What does Jim's companion teach him in "The Kind Old Blonde"?
Describe the role naivety plays in some of the stories in this collection. Which stories and characters are most representative of naivety? Why?
Think about the story about Philippa Schuyler, the musical prodigy with parents who force a strict diet of all raw food on her. Does Mitchell seem more interested in Philippa or her parents? Explain how you know, focusing on specific examples.
How do elements of humor contrast with elements of darkness in Mitchell's collection of short stories? Give three specific examples.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)