|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the term James Hall believed was occurring?
2. How old was Jane when she grew a full beard?
3. What occupation does Jane dream of having?
4. What is the title of the book Joe is writing?
5. Who is "Professor Sea Gull"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mitchell lose interest in Joe?
2. Where does the title "Professor Sea Gull" come from?
3. Why is Mitchell interested in the painting of Joe Gould?
4. What does it mean that Jane has only a limited ability to be happy?
5. After Peggy talks to the little girl, why does she ask the bartender to walk her home?
6. What happens in "I Blame it all on Mama"?
7. What is "On the Wagon" about?
8. Describe the role of the theme of people being torn by life and heritage in Mitchell's collection of stories.
9. What message does Mitchell attempt to send about gypsies?
10. What is the significance of the rats in the street at night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Mitchell lose interest in Joe Gould? What sparked his interest again?
Essay Topic 2
Poole is one character who seems quite sure that everything is always getting worse. Explore this concept in terms of other short stories and subjects in these stories to argue for or against Poole's point. What does Mitchell seem to think about this idea?
Essay Topic 3
Jane, Lady Olga the bearded lady, has an interesting outlook on life. Describe this point of view. Has Jane given up on life? Has she given up on changing her fate? Is she happy?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)