|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Philippa's parents credit for her IQ?
2. Under what circumstance would Mazie give the poor a ticket for free?
3. What is the name of the person Mitchell talks about in "A Mess of Clams"?
4. What were Joe's father and grandfather?
5. On what street was McSorley's located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Joe an exhibitionist?
2. What does Mitchell think about "Santa Clause Smith"?
3. Describe Hugh Flood's thoughts about death.
4. What is "On the Wagon" about?
5. Who is Philippa Schuyler?
6. What happens in "I Blame it all on Mama"?
7. Why did Louis insist on ending the visit to the upper floors of his building?
8. Who is Mr. Hunter?
9. How does Mitchell describe McSorley's?
10. Which subject is the biggest supporter of the idea that things are always getting worse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do vices like alcohol play in Mitchell's stories? What message do the stories tend to send about the use of these vices?
Essay Topic 2
Jane, Lady Olga the bearded lady, has an interesting outlook on life. Describe this point of view. Has Jane given up on life? Has she given up on changing her fate? Is she happy?
Essay Topic 3
Poole is one character who seems quite sure that everything is always getting worse. Explore this concept in terms of other short stories and subjects in these stories to argue for or against Poole's point. What does Mitchell seem to think about this idea?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)