Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Philippa a prodigy in?
2. Who claimed to be angry at people who said they were tired of noises?
3. When did Bill sell "The Old House at Home"?
4. Who was not allowed to enter "The Old House at Home"?
5. Which adjective best describes the atmosphere of McSorley's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Philippa's parents and situation at home.
2. Who are the Cave Dwellers?
3. Who is Joe Gould?
4. Describe Hugh Flood's thoughts about death.
5. Where does the title "Professor Sea Gull" come from?
6. Why is the memory of being hit by a cow significant to Cassell's story?
7. What is the significance of the rats in the street at night?
8. How does Ellery's attitude differ from that of other captains?
9. Who is Charles Cassell?
10. What does Jim's companion teach him in "The Kind Old Blonde"?
Essay Topic 1
Jane, Lady Olga the bearded lady, has an interesting outlook on life. Describe this point of view. Has Jane given up on life? Has she given up on changing her fate? Is she happy?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Mitchell lose interest in Joe Gould? What sparked his interest again?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role naivety plays in some of the stories in this collection. Which stories and characters are most representative of naivety? Why?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)