|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the theater Mazie worked at?
2. What is the name of the place in "The Obituary of a Fin Mill"?
3. Under what circumstance would Mazie give the poor a ticket for free?
4. What is the name of the story about Commodore Dutch?
5. Which person was known as Houdini in Harlem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Louis insist on ending the visit to the upper floors of his building?
2. What does it mean that Jane has only a limited ability to be happy?
3. What does Jim's companion teach him in "The Kind Old Blonde"?
4. Who is Charles Cassell?
5. Why is Mitchell interested in the painting of Joe Gould?
6. What tone does Mitchell use to discuss the personalities in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories?
7. Why did Jane choose to live the circus life?
8. Who is Jane Barnell?
9. Who is Mazie Gordon?
10. Who is Philippa Schuyler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poole is one character who seems quite sure that everything is always getting worse. Explore this concept in terms of other short stories and subjects in these stories to argue for or against Poole's point. What does Mitchell seem to think about this idea?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the intended audience of Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? How do you know? Analyze the role diction and other literary devices play in shaping an ideal audience for this collection of short stories.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the painting that Joe Gould was in. What did this prove about Joe? Was he an exhibitionist? Would he have wanted his life to be portrayed in the way it is in Mitchell's stories? How do you know?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)