Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Philippa a prodigy in?
2. Who claimed to be angry at people who said they were tired of noises?
3. When did Bill sell "The Old House at Home"?
4. Who was not allowed to enter "The Old House at Home"?
5. Which adjective best describes the atmosphere of McSorley's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Philippa's parents and situation at home.
2. Who are the Cave Dwellers?
3. Who is Joe Gould?
4. Describe Hugh Flood's thoughts about death.
5. Where does the title "Professor Sea Gull" come from?
6. Why is the memory of being hit by a cow significant to Cassell's story?
7. What is the significance of the rats in the street at night?
8. How does Ellery's attitude differ from that of other captains?
9. Who is Charles Cassell?
10. What does Jim's companion teach him in "The Kind Old Blonde"?
Essay Topic 1
Who is the intended audience of Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? How do you know? Analyze the role diction and other literary devices play in shaping an ideal audience for this collection of short stories.
Essay Topic 2
Jane, Lady Olga the bearded lady, has an interesting outlook on life. Describe this point of view. Has Jane given up on life? Has she given up on changing her fate? Is she happy?
Essay Topic 3
Which story in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories is the most remarkable? How does Mitchell make this story remarkable?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)