Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Philippa a prodigy in?
2. Who claimed to be angry at people who said they were tired of noises?
3. When did Bill sell "The Old House at Home"?
4. Who was not allowed to enter "The Old House at Home"?
5. Which adjective best describes the atmosphere of McSorley's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Philippa's parents and situation at home.
2. Who are the Cave Dwellers?
3. Who is Joe Gould?
4. Describe Hugh Flood's thoughts about death.
5. Where does the title "Professor Sea Gull" come from?
6. Why is the memory of being hit by a cow significant to Cassell's story?
7. What is the significance of the rats in the street at night?
8. How does Ellery's attitude differ from that of other captains?
9. Who is Charles Cassell?
10. What does Jim's companion teach him in "The Kind Old Blonde"?
Essay Topic 1
Poole is one character who seems quite sure that everything is always getting worse. Explore this concept in terms of other short stories and subjects in these stories to argue for or against Poole's point. What does Mitchell seem to think about this idea?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Mitchell choose these stories to be in this collection? Focus on and analyze three stories to answer this question.
Essay Topic 3
Which character would you choose to write a full-length biography about if you were Mitchell? Explain why this character made such a big impression on you.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)