|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school did Joe attend?
2. Who is "Santa Clause Smith"?
3. Which adjective best describes the atmosphere of McSorley's?
4. What is Philippa a prodigy in?
5. What were Joe's father and grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Joe decide to live in New York?
2. What was the main rule at McSorley's and why?
3. Where does the title "Professor Sea Gull" come from?
4. Why does Hugh Flood get mad at Mr. Mooney?
5. Who is Mr. Hunter?
6. Why did Louis insist on ending the visit to the upper floors of his building?
7. Why did Mitchell lose interest in Joe?
8. Why is Mitchell interested in the lives of McSorley, O'Connell, and Gordon?
9. What does Mitchell think about "Santa Clause Smith"?
10. Who is Joe Gould?
Essay Topic 1
What role do vices like alcohol play in Mitchell's stories? What message do the stories tend to send about the use of these vices?
Essay Topic 2
How do elements of humor contrast with elements of darkness in Mitchell's collection of short stories? Give three specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Which story in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories is the most remarkable? How does Mitchell make this story remarkable?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)