|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many notebooks did Joe have written?
2. What was the name of the theater Mazie worked at?
3. Which person that Mitchell writes about wears a scarf to hide his or her face?
4. Mitchell claims to have often helped his father do which activity?
5. What kind of farm does Barbee own?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hugh Flood's thoughts about death.
2. Who is Commodore Dutch?
3. Which subject is the biggest supporter of the idea that things are always getting worse?
4. What does Jim's companion teach him in "The Kind Old Blonde"?
5. How did people feel about the scam Commodore Dutch put on?
6. Is Joe an exhibitionist?
7. What message does Mitchell attempt to send about gypsies?
8. Why does Mitchell include a personal anecdote in Cassell's story, and is it an effective technique?
9. What is "On the Wagon" about?
10. What kind of relationship did Jane have with her parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the theme of anger play in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? Describe at least three ways in which Mitchell develops this theme.
Essay Topic 2
Think about the story about Philippa Schuyler, the musical prodigy with parents who force a strict diet of all raw food on her. Does Mitchell seem more interested in Philippa or her parents? Explain how you know, focusing on specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Is Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories a motivational collection? Why or why not?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)