|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is "Santa Clause Smith"?
2. How old is Philippa Duke Schuyler?
3. Who is the historian for a club for deaf people?
4. Under what circumstance would Mazie give the poor a ticket for free?
5. What was the biggest contrast between Bill and his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance does Mr. Cusack place on the full moon?
2. Is Joe an exhibitionist?
3. What does Mitchell think about "Santa Clause Smith"?
4. Why did Louis insist on ending the visit to the upper floors of his building?
5. What tone does Mitchell use to discuss the personalities in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories?
6. Who is Charles Cassell?
7. What does it mean that Jane has only a limited ability to be happy?
8. Why is Mitchell interested in the lives of McSorley, O'Connell, and Gordon?
9. Describe the role of the theme of people being torn by life and heritage in Mitchell's collection of stories.
10. Describe Hugh Flood's thoughts about death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the painting that Joe Gould was in. What did this prove about Joe? Was he an exhibitionist? Would he have wanted his life to be portrayed in the way it is in Mitchell's stories? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Many of Mitchell's stories involve the ocean or harvesting for seafood. To what extent is the ocean a symbol in Mitchell's stories? What does the ocean symbolize? Is it just a coincidence?
Essay Topic 3
In many of Mitchell's stories, characters are torn between heritage and life. Describe at least three examples of ways in which Mitchell develops this theme in more than one story in the collection. Also, explain what Mitchell's intent is in sharing stories with this particular theme.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)