|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James Hall's requests mostly came from what kind of person?
2. Who claimed to be angry at people who said they were tired of noises?
3. What did Commodore do to make a living?
4. How did the "cave dwellers" feel after they read their story?
5. What was Daniel O'Connell's profession before he retired?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message does Mitchell attempt to send about gypsies?
2. Who is Louis Morino?
3. Which subject is the biggest supporter of the idea that things are always getting worse?
4. What was strange to Mitchell in the story "I Couldn't Dope it Out"?
5. Why is the story about Joe Gould last in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories?
6. How does technology affect Mr. Flood and Mr. Cusack?
7. Describe Hugh Flood's thoughts about death.
8. What do you think about "Santa Clause Smith"? Is he benevolent or malicious?
9. Why is it significant that Mr. Flood is a compilation of people?
10. Why did Jane choose to live the circus life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character would you choose to write a full-length biography about if you were Mitchell? Explain why this character made such a big impression on you.
Essay Topic 2
What message about self-acceptance do you think Mitchell tries to send through stories like that of Peggy?
Essay Topic 3
Think about the story about Philippa Schuyler, the musical prodigy with parents who force a strict diet of all raw food on her. Does Mitchell seem more interested in Philippa or her parents? Explain how you know, focusing on specific examples.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)