|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James Hall's requests mostly came from what kind of person?
2. Who is the founder of the Anti-profanity League?
3. What did the "Old Yankee" run?
4. What school did Joe attend?
5. Who claimed to be angry at people who said they were tired of noises?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the "Don't-Swear Man."
2. Where does the title "Professor Sea Gull" come from?
3. Who is Mazie Gordon?
4. Why did Joe decide to live in New York?
5. What does it mean that Jane has only a limited ability to be happy?
6. Why did Jane choose not to shave her beard?
7. What does Mitchell think about "Santa Clause Smith"?
8. What is the significance of the rats in the street at night?
9. What is the message behind the story about Peggy?
10. What was strange to Mitchell in the story "I Couldn't Dope it Out"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the theme of anger play in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? Describe at least three ways in which Mitchell develops this theme.
Essay Topic 2
Is Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories a motivational collection? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Mitchell choose these stories to be in this collection? Focus on and analyze three stories to answer this question.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)