|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the historian for a club for deaf people?
2. When did Bill sell "The Old House at Home"?
3. Who does Mitchell describe as thieves?
4. What do Philippa's parents credit for her IQ?
5. What street does Philippa live on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellery's attitude differ from that of other captains?
2. Which subject is the biggest supporter of the idea that things are always getting worse?
3. Who is Mr. Hunter?
4. Why is the story about Joe Gould last in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories?
5. What message does Mitchell attempt to send about gypsies?
6. Why is Mitchell interested in Gould's manucsript?
7. Who is Joe Gould?
8. Who is Jane Barnell?
9. Why does Mitchell include a personal anecdote in Cassell's story, and is it an effective technique?
10. Why is it significant that Mr. Flood is a compilation of people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role naivety plays in some of the stories in this collection. Which stories and characters are most representative of naivety? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the theme of anger play in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? Describe at least three ways in which Mitchell develops this theme.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the painting that Joe Gould was in. What did this prove about Joe? Was he an exhibitionist? Would he have wanted his life to be portrayed in the way it is in Mitchell's stories? How do you know?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)