|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of business is "The Old House at Home"?
2. When did Bill sell "The Old House at Home"?
3. On what street was McSorley's located?
4. What was the name of the man who opened "The Old House at Home"?
5. How did the "cave dwellers" feel after they read their story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Cusack?
2. Why did Barbee own a terrapin shop and why did many people purchase them?
3. What significance does Mr. Cusack place on the full moon?
4. What was the main rule at McSorley's and why?
5. What was strange to Mitchell in the story "I Couldn't Dope it Out"?
6. How did people feel about the scam Commodore Dutch put on?
7. Who is Jane Barnell?
8. How does Ellery's attitude differ from that of other captains?
9. Why is Mitchell interested in Gould's manucsript?
10. What do you think about "Santa Clause Smith"? Is he benevolent or malicious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane, Lady Olga the bearded lady, has an interesting outlook on life. Describe this point of view. Has Jane given up on life? Has she given up on changing her fate? Is she happy?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Mitchell lose interest in Joe Gould? What sparked his interest again?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role naivety plays in some of the stories in this collection. Which stories and characters are most representative of naivety? Why?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)