|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mitchell meet Archie Clock?
2. What kind of farm does Barbee own?
3. What are Philippa's parents?
4. What kind of business is "The Old House at Home"?
5. How much would Dutch typically profit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mitchell think about "Santa Clause Smith"?
2. Why did Louis insist on ending the visit to the upper floors of his building?
3. Who is Andrew Zimmer?
4. Describe Dockery.
5. What happens in "I Blame it all on Mama"?
6. Why does Hugh Flood get mad at Mr. Mooney?
7. Who is Joe Gould?
8. Why is Mitchell interested in Gould's manucsript?
9. Why does Mitchell include a personal anecdote in Cassell's story, and is it an effective technique?
10. Why did Jane choose to live the circus life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do elements of humor contrast with elements of darkness in Mitchell's collection of short stories? Give three specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Is Mitchell a reliable narrator? Why or why not? What are some possible roadblocks for Mitchell to be a reliable narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Jane, Lady Olga the bearded lady, has an interesting outlook on life. Describe this point of view. Has Jane given up on life? Has she given up on changing her fate? Is she happy?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)