|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Jane when she grew a full beard?
2. Jane has only a limited ability to be which of the following?
3. According to Barbee, what kind of person always frequented his business?
4. What school did Joe attend?
5. Who started Barbee's business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Commodore Dutch?
2. Why does Mitchell include a personal anecdote in Cassell's story, and is it an effective technique?
3. How does technology affect Mr. Flood and Mr. Cusack?
4. Who is Andrew Zimmer?
5. What is a calypso?
6. Why does Hugh Flood get mad at Mr. Mooney?
7. After Peggy talks to the little girl, why does she ask the bartender to walk her home?
8. What was the main rule at McSorley's and why?
9. Which subject is the biggest supporter of the idea that things are always getting worse?
10. What is the message behind the story about Peggy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What message about self-acceptance do you think Mitchell tries to send through stories like that of Peggy?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the theme of anger play in Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories? Describe at least three ways in which Mitchell develops this theme.
Essay Topic 3
Is Up in the Old Hotel and Other Stories a motivational collection? Why or why not?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)