|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the term James Hall believed was occurring?
2. How did Jane's mother feel about her?
3. How many mummies did Charles claim to have owned?
4. At McSorley's, what did the men gather around?
5. When was "The Old House at Home" opened?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did people feel about the scam Commodore Dutch put on?
2. Who is Andrew Zimmer?
3. Describe the "Don't-Swear Man."
4. What happens in "I Blame it all on Mama"?
5. Why did Peggy lie to the little girl?
6. Who is Mazie Gordon?
7. Why is the memory of being hit by a cow significant to Cassell's story?
8. Who is Joe Gould?
9. What does it mean that Jane has only a limited ability to be happy?
10. Who are the Cave Dwellers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character would you choose to write a full-length biography about if you were Mitchell? Explain why this character made such a big impression on you.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of setting In Mitchell's stories. What setting is most significant? Does setting ever come off more strongly than the characters and plots in the stories? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Is Mitchell a reliable narrator? Why or why not? What are some possible roadblocks for Mitchell to be a reliable narrator?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)