|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the man who opened "The Old House at Home"?
(a) John McSorley.
(b) Joe Gould.
(c) Bill McSorley.
(d) William Ames.
2. What are calypsos?
(a) Humorous songs about love and honor.
(b) Serious songs about romantic love.
(c) Angry songs about bar fights and missed opportunities.
(d) Sad songs about death and illness.
3. What is the name of the person Mitchell talks about in "A Mess of Clams"?
4. What trend became apparent for Mohawk Indian religion?
(a) Most Indians became Catholic.
(b) Most Indians became atheists.
(c) Most Indians stayed true to their native religions.
(d) Most Indians became Muslim.
5. How did the "cave dwellers" feel after they read their story?
Short Answer Questions
1. The story about which person or people leaves the reader hanging most?
2. Why did people make so many purchases from Barbee's shop?
3. How did Jane's father feel about her?
4. Who told Mitchell about the club for deaf people?
5. Jane has only a limited ability to be which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the rats in the street at night?
2. Which subject is the biggest supporter of the idea that things are always getting worse?
3. What is the message behind the story about Peggy?
4. Who is Mr. Hunter?
5. Who is Mazie Gordon?
6. What do you think about "Santa Clause Smith"? Is he benevolent or malicious?
7. Who is Louis Morino?
8. After Peggy talks to the little girl, why does she ask the bartender to walk her home?
9. Is Joe an exhibitionist?
10. Why does Mitchell include a personal anecdote in Cassell's story, and is it an effective technique?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)