|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trend began to occur in Mohawk Indian marriages as Mitchell noted?
(a) Many Indians began to stop all marriages.
(b) Many Indians began to marry whites.
(c) Many Indian men began to search for younger partners.
(d) Many Indians stopped taking part in marriage.
2. What school did Joe attend?
(d) Notre Dame.
3. Which character looked down on possessions?
(a) Mazie Gordon.
(b) Joe Gould.
(c) James Jefferson Davis Hall.
(d) Jane Barnell.
4. How old was Jane when she grew a full beard?
5. What is the name of the person Mitchell talks about in "A Mess of Clams"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claimed to be angry at people who said they were tired of noises?
2. What street does Philippa live on?
3. What was Daniel O'Connell's profession before he retired?
4. What kind of farm does Barbee own?
5. How much would Dutch typically profit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mazie Gordon?
2. What kind of relationship did Jane have with her parents?
3. What is a calypso?
4. What is "On the Wagon" about?
5. What do you think about "Santa Clause Smith"? Is he benevolent or malicious?
6. Why did Peggy lie to the little girl?
7. Describe the role of the theme of people being torn by life and heritage in Mitchell's collection of stories.
8. What message does Mitchell attempt to send about gypsies?
9. Describe Philippa's parents and situation at home.
10. Why is Mitchell interested in the painting of Joe Gould?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)