|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is "Santa Clause Smith"?
(a) John Smith.
(b) Richard Smith.
(c) Smith Johnson.
(d) Arthur Smith.
2. Why did Jane decide not to shave her face?
(a) She found it to be unfeminist.
(b) She thought her beard made her more attractive.
(c) She accepted herself.
(d) She was not ashamed of her beard.
3. Joe said that the animals in the streets were "aching souls" of what type of person?
(d) Old people.
4. James Hall's requests mostly came from what kind of person?
(b) Older women.
(c) Angry men.
5. When did Bill sell "The Old House at Home"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Philippa's parents credit for her IQ?
2. What last name did Mazie choose?
3. In "Spism and Spasm," what did the main character become?
4. What was Daniel O'Connell's profession before he retired?
5. What did the "Old Yankee" run?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "On the Wagon" about?
2. Describe the role of the theme of people being torn by life and heritage in Mitchell's collection of stories.
3. What does Jim's companion teach him in "The Kind Old Blonde"?
4. Why is it significant that Mr. Flood is a compilation of people?
5. Why is the memory of being hit by a cow significant to Cassell's story?
6. Who is Joe Gould?
7. Why is Mitchell interested in the painting of Joe Gould?
8. How is seafood a symbol in the story about Hugh Flood?
9. Why did Peggy lie to the little girl?
10. Why is Mitchell interested in the lives of McSorley, O'Connell, and Gordon?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)