|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mitchell compelled by Jane?
(a) Her outlook on life.
(b) Her appearance.
(c) Her career resume.
(d) Her education and skills.
2. On what street was McSorley's located?
3. The story about which person or people leaves the reader hanging most?
(a) The gypsies.
(b) Joe Gould.
(c) Philippa Schuyler.
(d) Cave dwellers.
4. For what reason did Bill often close his business early?
(a) His wife made him come early for dinner.
(b) He had to work at another business.
(c) He was tempted to drink alcohol.
(d) He got tired.
5. What was the biggest contrast between Bill and his father?
(a) Bill was quiet.
(b) Bill was an alcoholic.
(c) Bill was eager to please customers.
(d) Bill was a good businessman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which person was known as Houdini in Harlem?
2. James Hall's requests mostly came from what kind of person?
3. What kind of work do the Mohawk Indians tend to leave for?
4. Joe said that the animals in the streets were "aching souls" of what type of person?
5. Who is the founder of the Anti-profanity League?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dockery.
2. How does Ellery's attitude differ from that of other captains?
3. Describe Philippa's parents and situation at home.
4. Who is Jane Barnell?
5. Why did Jane choose to live the circus life?
6. Why did Peggy lie to the little girl?
7. Who is Hugh Flood?
8. What kind of relationship did Jane have with her parents?
9. Why does Hugh Flood get mad at Mr. Mooney?
10. Who are the Cave Dwellers?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)