|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Jane decide not to shave her face?
(a) She thought her beard made her more attractive.
(b) She found it to be unfeminist.
(c) She was not ashamed of her beard.
(d) She accepted herself.
2. How much would Dutch typically profit?
3. Mitchell claims to have often helped his father do which activity?
(a) Shovel snow.
(b) Clean abandoned homes.
(c) Hunt for deer.
(d) Slaughter cows.
4. Who is the historian for a club for deaf people?
(a) Sam Smith.
(b) Jack Fitzsimmons.
(c) Samuel Frankenheim.
(d) Joe Gould.
5. What are Philippa's parents?
(a) Factory workers.
(c) Construction workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of work do the Mohawk Indians tend to leave for?
2. What were Joe's father and grandfather?
3. What happened to the money people sent to Mitchell for the "cave dwellers"?
4. What do Philippa's parents credit for her IQ?
5. How did Jane's father feel about her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the "Don't-Swear Man."
2. What does Mitchell learn from visiting the club for deaf people?
3. Why is Mitchell interested in the painting of Joe Gould?
4. Why does Mitchell include a personal anecdote in Cassell's story, and is it an effective technique?
5. Where does the title "Professor Sea Gull" come from?
6. Describe Hugh Flood's thoughts about death.
7. Why did Jane choose to live the circus life?
8. How did people feel about the scam Commodore Dutch put on?
9. What kind of relationship did Jane have with her parents?
10. Why did Jane choose not to shave her beard?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)