|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Commodore do to make a living?
(a) He held an annual ball.
(b) He served food at a cafe.
(c) He begged on the streets.
(d) He owned a business.
2. Who is described as the "Old Yankee"?
(a) Daniel O'Connell.
(b) Charles Cassell.
(c) John McSorley.
(d) Mazie Gordon.
3. What street does Philippa live on?
(a) Convent Avenue.
(b) Parish Avenue.
(c) Grant Avenue.
(d) Sturgis Avenue.
4. What do Philippa's parents credit for her IQ?
5. The story about which person or people leaves the reader hanging most?
(a) The gypsies.
(b) Cave dwellers.
(c) Joe Gould.
(d) Philippa Schuyler.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane has only a limited ability to be which of the following?
2. Why did Jane decide not to shave her face?
3. Why did the owner of McSorley's change the name?
4. When was "The Old House at Home" opened?
5. According to Barbee, what kind of person always frequented his business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Cusack?
2. What significance does Mr. Cusack place on the full moon?
3. Which subject is the biggest supporter of the idea that things are always getting worse?
4. Why did Jane choose to live the circus life?
5. How did people feel about the scam Commodore Dutch put on?
6. Where does the title "Professor Sea Gull" come from?
7. Is Joe an exhibitionist?
8. Describe Hugh Flood's thoughts about death.
9. Who is Andrew Zimmer?
10. What does it mean that Jane has only a limited ability to be happy?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)