|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which adjective best describes the atmosphere of McSorley's?
2. What was James Jefferson Davis Hall's occupation?
3. Who is the main personality in "The Same as Monkey Glands"?
4. For what reason did Bill often close his business early?
(a) He was tempted to drink alcohol.
(b) He had to work at another business.
(c) He got tired.
(d) His wife made him come early for dinner.
5. What kind of work do the Mohawk Indians tend to leave for?
(a) Odd jobs.
(b) Jobs in the education field.
(c) Factory work.
(d) Servant and maid jobs.
6. Who is "Professor Sea Gull"?
(a) Jane Barnell.
(b) Thomas O'Boyle.
(c) Joe Gould.
(d) Charles Cassell.
7. What was the name of the theater Mazie worked at?
(a) The Venice.
(b) The Verona.
(c) The Valentino.
(d) The Venetian.
8. How did Mazie spend most of her evenings?
(a) Cleaning up the theater.
(b) Reading about poverty.
(c) Walking around the streets.
(d) Working at the food mission.
9. What occupation does Jane dream of having?
10. What trend began to occur in Mohawk Indian marriages as Mitchell noted?
(a) Many Indian men began to search for younger partners.
(b) Many Indians began to marry whites.
(c) Many Indians stopped taking part in marriage.
(d) Many Indians began to stop all marriages.
11. What occupation did Jane Barnell have?
(b) Worked at The Venice.
(c) Court stenographer.
(d) Bearded lady at a circus.
12. What was the biggest contrast between Bill and his father?
(a) Bill was eager to please customers.
(b) Bill was an alcoholic.
(c) Bill was quiet.
(d) Bill was a good businessman.
13. What were the names of Mazie's sisters?
(a) Rosie and Jeanie.
(b) Romy and Jenny.
(c) Rory and Jillian.
(d) Rosa and Jordan.
14. James Hall's requests mostly came from what kind of person?
(c) Angry men.
(d) Older women.
15. Why did the owner of McSorley's change the name?
(a) He bought a new sign.
(b) His business wasn't popular with the old name.
(c) He knew he was going to pass it down to a family member.
(d) His wife hated the name.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Bill sell "The Old House at Home"?
2. How did the "cave dwellers" feel after they read their story?
3. What are calypsos?
4. How many notebooks did Joe have written?
5. What is the name of Jane's husband?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)