|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the book Joe is writing?
(a) An Oral History of Our Time.
(b) A Brief History of the World.
(c) An Expansive History of Earth.
(d) An Examination of History.
2. In "Spism and Spasm," what did the main character become?
(a) A street preacher.
(b) A writer.
(c) A bum.
(d) A teacher.
3. Which person was known as Houdini in Harlem?
4. Who is the historian for a club for deaf people?
(a) Joe Gould.
(b) Sam Smith.
(c) Samuel Frankenheim.
(d) Jack Fitzsimmons.
5. What did Charles often sell?
(b) Fishing bait.
(d) Odds and ends.
6. On what street was McSorley's located?
7. Who was not allowed to enter "The Old House at Home"?
(a) Those with meager incomes.
8. What street does Philippa live on?
(a) Convent Avenue.
(b) Parish Avenue.
(c) Grant Avenue.
(d) Sturgis Avenue.
9. How much would Dutch typically profit?
10. What are calypsos?
(a) Serious songs about romantic love.
(b) Angry songs about bar fights and missed opportunities.
(c) Sad songs about death and illness.
(d) Humorous songs about love and honor.
11. Why did Jane decide not to shave her face?
(a) She thought her beard made her more attractive.
(b) She accepted herself.
(c) She was not ashamed of her beard.
(d) She found it to be unfeminist.
12. What was the term James Hall believed was occurring?
(a) Religious growth spurt.
(b) Religious decline.
(c) Christian landslide.
(d) Christian recoil.
13. Jane has only a limited ability to be which of the following?
14. What are Philippa's parents?
(a) Construction workers.
(d) Factory workers.
15. Which person that Mitchell writes about wears a scarf to hide his or her face?
(c) Thomas O'Boyle.
(d) Joe Gould.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is "Santa Clause Smith"?
2. How many mummies did Charles claim to have owned?
3. What was Daniel O'Connell's profession before he retired?
4. How did Jane's father feel about her?
5. What occupation does Jane dream of having?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)