|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the names of Mazie's sisters?
(a) Rosa and Jordan.
(b) Romy and Jenny.
(c) Rosie and Jeanie.
(d) Rory and Jillian.
2. What trend began to occur in Mohawk Indian marriages as Mitchell noted?
(a) Many Indians began to marry whites.
(b) Many Indian men began to search for younger partners.
(c) Many Indians began to stop all marriages.
(d) Many Indians stopped taking part in marriage.
3. In "Spism and Spasm," what did the main character become?
(a) A bum.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A street preacher.
(d) A writer.
4. Which person that Mitchell writes about wears a scarf to hide his or her face?
(a) Joe Gould.
(b) Thomas O'Boyle.
5. What are Philippa's parents?
(b) Construction workers.
(c) Factory workers.
6. Who told Mitchell about the club for deaf people?
(a) Samuel Frankenheim.
(b) John Smith.
(c) Jack Fitzsimmons.
(d) Edgar Sinclair.
7. What is Philippa a prodigy in?
8. What is the name of the story about Commodore Dutch?
(a) A Lonely Man.
(b) A Wonderous Man.
(c) A Sporting Man.
(d) A Hunting Man.
9. For what reason did Bill often close his business early?
(a) He got tired.
(b) He was tempted to drink alcohol.
(c) His wife made him come early for dinner.
(d) He had to work at another business.
10. What was the term James Hall believed was occurring?
(a) Christian landslide.
(b) Religious decline.
(c) Religious growth spurt.
(d) Christian recoil.
11. How did Mazie spend most of her evenings?
(a) Walking around the streets.
(b) Working at the food mission.
(c) Cleaning up the theater.
(d) Reading about poverty.
12. What last name did Mazie choose?
13. What do Philippa's parents credit for her IQ?
14. What was the biggest contrast between Bill and his father?
(a) Bill was quiet.
(b) Bill was eager to please customers.
(c) Bill was an alcoholic.
(d) Bill was a good businessman.
15. What did the "Old Yankee" run?
(a) A bank.
(b) A record store.
(c) A museum.
(d) A fishing bait shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Philippa Duke Schuyler?
2. Where did Mitchell meet Archie Clock?
3. What trend became apparent for Mohawk Indian religion?
4. Who does Mitchell describe as thieves?
5. Who did Mazie cite as being helpful?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)