|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mitchell describe as thieves?
(b) Joe Gould and people like him.
(c) Philippa Schuyler's parents.
(d) Cave dwellers.
2. Who is the historian for a club for deaf people?
(a) Sam Smith.
(b) Joe Gould.
(c) Samuel Frankenheim.
(d) Jack Fitzsimmons.
3. What is the name of Jane's husband?
4. Which person was known as Houdini in Harlem?
5. What was the term James Hall believed was occurring?
(a) Religious decline.
(b) Christian recoil.
(c) Christian landslide.
(d) Religious growth spurt.
6. What would James Hall do to preach?
(a) Get phone numbers.
(b) Stand outside churches of other faiths to preach.
(c) Preach on the bus.
(d) Show up at random homes.
7. Under what circumstance would Mazie give the poor a ticket for free?
(a) They cleaned up.
(b) They would run errands.
(c) They would buy her food.
(d) They stopped living in front of the theater.
8. On what street was McSorley's located?
9. What was the name of the man who opened "The Old House at Home"?
(a) William Ames.
(b) John McSorley.
(c) Bill McSorley.
(d) Joe Gould.
10. James Hall's requests mostly came from what kind of person?
(a) Older women.
(d) Angry men.
11. What was the name of the theater Mazie worked at?
(a) The Verona.
(b) The Venice.
(c) The Valentino.
(d) The Venetian.
12. What are calypsos?
(a) Angry songs about bar fights and missed opportunities.
(b) Humorous songs about love and honor.
(c) Sad songs about death and illness.
(d) Serious songs about romantic love.
13. Who is "Professor Sea Gull"?
(a) Joe Gould.
(b) Jane Barnell.
(c) Charles Cassell.
(d) Thomas O'Boyle.
14. Who started Barbee's business?
(a) His father-in-law.
(b) HIs grandfather.
(c) His wife.
(d) His father.
15. What occupation does Jane dream of having?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of business is "The Old House at Home"?
2. How did the "cave dwellers" feel after they read their story?
3. What did Commodore do to make a living?
4. Which character looked down on possessions?
5. What are Philippa's parents?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)