|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The story about which person or people leaves the reader hanging most?
(a) Cave dwellers.
(b) The gypsies.
(c) Joe Gould.
(d) Philippa Schuyler.
2. What were Joe's father and grandfather?
3. What is the name of the person Mitchell talks about in "A Mess of Clams"?
4. What did James Hall believe that he was doing?
(a) Increasing education.
(b) Contributing to society's downfall.
(c) Hurting people.
(d) Helping people.
5. Who is the historian for a club for deaf people?
(a) Joe Gould.
(b) Sam Smith.
(c) Samuel Frankenheim.
(d) Jack Fitzsimmons.
6. Why did people make so many purchases from Barbee's shop?
(a) The animals were good at guarding other more valuable animals.
(b) The animals tasted good.
(c) They believed the animals had healing powers.
(d) The animals were good pets.
7. How did the "cave dwellers" feel after they read their story?
8. Who does Mitchell describe as thieves?
(a) Philippa Schuyler's parents.
(c) Cave dwellers.
(d) Joe Gould and people like him.
9. Mitchell claims to have often helped his father do which activity?
(a) Hunt for deer.
(b) Slaughter cows.
(c) Shovel snow.
(d) Clean abandoned homes.
10. Why is Mitchell compelled by Jane?
(a) Her education and skills.
(b) Her career resume.
(c) Her appearance.
(d) Her outlook on life.
11. How many mummies did Charles claim to have owned?
12. What did the "Old Yankee" run?
(a) A record store.
(b) A bank.
(c) A fishing bait shop.
(d) A museum.
13. Jane has only a limited ability to be which of the following?
14. Who is the main personality in "The Same as Monkey Glands"?
15. What is the title of the book Joe is writing?
(a) An Oral History of Our Time.
(b) An Expansive History of Earth.
(c) An Examination of History.
(d) A Brief History of the World.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street was McSorley's located?
2. At McSorley's, what did the men gather around?
3. How old was Jane when she grew a full beard?
4. Who was not allowed to enter "The Old House at Home"?
5. What was the name of the theater Mazie worked at?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)