|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Philippa Duke Schuyler?
2. What kind of farm does Barbee own?
(a) Cattle farm.
(b) Terrapin farm.
(c) Reptile farm.
(d) Monkey farm.
3. What is peculiar about Philippa's family's diet?
(a) They eat only raw food.
(b) They eat only protein.
(c) They do not eat any homecooked meals.
(d) They do not eat fruit.
4. What did Commodore do to make a living?
(a) He held an annual ball.
(b) He owned a business.
(c) He served food at a cafe.
(d) He begged on the streets.
5. Who is described as the "Old Yankee"?
(a) Charles Cassell.
(b) Daniel O'Connell.
(c) Mazie Gordon.
(d) John McSorley.
6. Why did people make so many purchases from Barbee's shop?
(a) The animals tasted good.
(b) The animals were good at guarding other more valuable animals.
(c) The animals were good pets.
(d) They believed the animals had healing powers.
7. What trend began to occur in Mohawk Indian marriages as Mitchell noted?
(a) Many Indians stopped taking part in marriage.
(b) Many Indians began to stop all marriages.
(c) Many Indian men began to search for younger partners.
(d) Many Indians began to marry whites.
8. What is Philippa a prodigy in?
9. What occupation does Jane dream of having?
10. What was the name of the theater Mazie worked at?
(a) The Valentino.
(b) The Verona.
(c) The Venice.
(d) The Venetian.
11. Who did Mazie cite as being helpful?
12. What are calypsos?
(a) Angry songs about bar fights and missed opportunities.
(b) Humorous songs about love and honor.
(c) Serious songs about romantic love.
(d) Sad songs about death and illness.
13. What kind of work do the Mohawk Indians tend to leave for?
(a) Factory work.
(b) Jobs in the education field.
(c) Servant and maid jobs.
(d) Odd jobs.
14. For what reason did Bill often close his business early?
(a) His wife made him come early for dinner.
(b) He was tempted to drink alcohol.
(c) He had to work at another business.
(d) He got tired.
15. When did Bill sell "The Old House at Home"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mitchell describe as thieves?
2. In "Spism and Spasm," what did the main character become?
3. Who started Barbee's business?
4. What is the title of the book Joe is writing?
5. At McSorley's, what did the men gather around?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)