|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the story about Commodore Dutch?
(a) A Hunting Man.
(b) A Lonely Man.
(c) A Wonderous Man.
(d) A Sporting Man.
2. Who is the main personality in "The Same as Monkey Glands"?
3. Who did Daniel leave his business to when he died?
(a) His wife.
(b) His nephew.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His son.
4. On what street was McSorley's located?
5. Which adjective best describes the atmosphere of McSorley's?
6. What did Charles often sell?
(a) Fishing bait.
(b) Odds and ends.
7. When did Bill sell "The Old House at Home"?
8. What is the title of the book Joe is writing?
(a) An Oral History of Our Time.
(b) An Expansive History of Earth.
(c) A Brief History of the World.
(d) An Examination of History.
9. What trend became apparent for Mohawk Indian religion?
(a) Most Indians became Muslim.
(b) Most Indians stayed true to their native religions.
(c) Most Indians became Catholic.
(d) Most Indians became atheists.
10. Who started Barbee's business?
(a) HIs grandfather.
(b) His wife.
(c) His father.
(d) His father-in-law.
11. Who is "Professor Sea Gull"?
(a) Joe Gould.
(b) Charles Cassell.
(c) Jane Barnell.
(d) Thomas O'Boyle.
12. According to Barbee, what kind of person always frequented his business?
(a) Religious people.
(c) Chinese people.
(d) Latin American people.
13. What are calypsos?
(a) Sad songs about death and illness.
(b) Serious songs about romantic love.
(c) Angry songs about bar fights and missed opportunities.
(d) Humorous songs about love and honor.
14. What happened to the money people sent to Mitchell for the "cave dwellers"?
(a) He donated it.
(b) He gave it to the "cave dwellers".
(c) He sent it back to them.
(d) He spent it.
15. Who was not allowed to enter "The Old House at Home"?
(a) Those with meager incomes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jane decide not to shave her face?
2. How much would Dutch typically profit?
3. At McSorley's, what did the men gather around?
4. Why did people make so many purchases from Barbee's shop?
5. What are Philippa's parents?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)