|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is described as the "Old Yankee"?
(a) Daniel O'Connell.
(b) John McSorley.
(c) Charles Cassell.
(d) Mazie Gordon.
2. Which character looked down on possessions?
(a) Joe Gould.
(b) James Jefferson Davis Hall.
(c) Mazie Gordon.
(d) Jane Barnell.
3. What did the "Old Yankee" run?
(a) A fishing bait shop.
(b) A bank.
(c) A museum.
(d) A record store.
4. What does Mitchell say populated streets at night?
5. Who is the main personality in "The Same as Monkey Glands"?
6. How much would Dutch typically profit?
7. Why did people make so many purchases from Barbee's shop?
(a) The animals were good at guarding other more valuable animals.
(b) The animals tasted good.
(c) The animals were good pets.
(d) They believed the animals had healing powers.
8. What school did Joe attend?
(a) Notre Dame.
9. What is Philippa a prodigy in?
10. What trend began to occur in Mohawk Indian marriages as Mitchell noted?
(a) Many Indians began to stop all marriages.
(b) Many Indians stopped taking part in marriage.
(c) Many Indians began to marry whites.
(d) Many Indian men began to search for younger partners.
11. What did Charles often sell?
(a) Odds and ends.
(b) Fishing bait.
12. Why is Mitchell compelled by Jane?
(a) Her career resume.
(b) Her education and skills.
(c) Her outlook on life.
(d) Her appearance.
13. What is the name of the person Mitchell talks about in "A Mess of Clams"?
14. Which person that Mitchell writes about wears a scarf to hide his or her face?
(b) Joe Gould.
(d) Thomas O'Boyle.
15. What is the name of Jane's husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street was McSorley's located?
2. What is peculiar about Philippa's family's diet?
3. How old is Philippa Duke Schuyler?
4. What did Commodore do to make a living?
5. What are Philippa's parents?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)