|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the term James Hall believed was occurring?
(a) Christian recoil.
(b) Christian landslide.
(c) Religious growth spurt.
(d) Religious decline.
2. What do Philippa's parents credit for her IQ?
3. What was the biggest contrast between Bill and his father?
(a) Bill was eager to please customers.
(b) Bill was quiet.
(c) Bill was a good businessman.
(d) Bill was an alcoholic.
4. What was James Jefferson Davis Hall's occupation?
5. At McSorley's, what did the men gather around?
(a) A television.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A fire.
(d) A pool table.
6. What is peculiar about Philippa's family's diet?
(a) They do not eat any homecooked meals.
(b) They eat only raw food.
(c) They eat only protein.
(d) They do not eat fruit.
7. Why is Mitchell compelled by Jane?
(a) Her career resume.
(b) Her education and skills.
(c) Her appearance.
(d) Her outlook on life.
8. What would James Hall do to preach?
(a) Stand outside churches of other faiths to preach.
(b) Preach on the bus.
(c) Get phone numbers.
(d) Show up at random homes.
9. What occupation did Jane Barnell have?
(b) Bearded lady at a circus.
(c) Worked at The Venice.
(d) Court stenographer.
10. How did Mazie spend most of her evenings?
(a) Reading about poverty.
(b) Walking around the streets.
(c) Cleaning up the theater.
(d) Working at the food mission.
11. Who was not allowed to enter "The Old House at Home"?
(b) Those with meager incomes.
12. What did Charles often sell?
(c) Odds and ends.
(d) Fishing bait.
13. What occupation does Jane dream of having?
14. How old was Jane when she grew a full beard?
15. What are calypsos?
(a) Sad songs about death and illness.
(b) Humorous songs about love and honor.
(c) Angry songs about bar fights and missed opportunities.
(d) Serious songs about romantic love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mitchell meet Archie Clock?
2. Who did Mazie cite as being helpful?
3. What did the "Old Yankee" run?
4. What school did Joe attend?
5. Who started Barbee's business?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)