|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many mummies did Charles claim to have owned?
2. What were Joe's father and grandfather?
3. What is peculiar about Philippa's family's diet?
(a) They eat only raw food.
(b) They do not eat fruit.
(c) They do not eat any homecooked meals.
(d) They eat only protein.
4. Who does Mitchell describe as thieves?
(a) Philippa Schuyler's parents.
(b) Cave dwellers.
(c) Joe Gould and people like him.
5. Who is the founder of the Anti-profanity League?
6. At McSorley's, what did the men gather around?
(a) A fire.
(b) A television.
(c) A mirror.
(d) A pool table.
7. Which person was known as Houdini in Harlem?
8. Who is "Santa Clause Smith"?
(a) Smith Johnson.
(b) Richard Smith.
(c) Arthur Smith.
(d) John Smith.
9. Who was not allowed to enter "The Old House at Home"?
(d) Those with meager incomes.
10. What was the term James Hall believed was occurring?
(a) Christian landslide.
(b) Religious growth spurt.
(c) Religious decline.
(d) Christian recoil.
11. What is the title of the book Joe is writing?
(a) An Examination of History.
(b) A Brief History of the World.
(c) An Oral History of Our Time.
(d) An Expansive History of Earth.
12. Which adjective best describes the atmosphere of McSorley's?
13. What is Philippa a prodigy in?
14. Which character looked down on possessions?
(a) Jane Barnell.
(b) James Jefferson Davis Hall.
(c) Joe Gould.
(d) Mazie Gordon.
15. Who did Mazie cite as being helpful?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was James Jefferson Davis Hall's occupation?
2. What is the name of the person Mitchell talks about in "A Mess of Clams"?
3. What trend began to occur in Mohawk Indian marriages as Mitchell noted?
4. What is the name of the place in "The Obituary of a Fin Mill"?
5. In "Spism and Spasm," what did the main character become?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)