|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the founder of the Anti-profanity League?
2. What do Philippa's parents credit for her IQ?
3. What is peculiar about Philippa's family's diet?
(a) They eat only protein.
(b) They do not eat any homecooked meals.
(c) They do not eat fruit.
(d) They eat only raw food.
4. At McSorley's, what did the men gather around?
(a) A fire.
(b) A pool table.
(c) A television.
(d) A mirror.
5. When was "The Old House at Home" opened?
6. What last name did Mazie choose?
7. Why did Jane decide not to shave her face?
(a) She thought her beard made her more attractive.
(b) She found it to be unfeminist.
(c) She accepted herself.
(d) She was not ashamed of her beard.
8. Which character looked down on possessions?
(a) James Jefferson Davis Hall.
(b) Mazie Gordon.
(c) Joe Gould.
(d) Jane Barnell.
9. Who was not allowed to enter "The Old House at Home"?
(a) Those with meager incomes.
10. In "Spism and Spasm," what did the main character become?
(a) A bum.
(b) A street preacher.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A writer.
11. What is the name of the person Mitchell talks about in "A Mess of Clams"?
12. Who is described as the "Old Yankee"?
(a) Charles Cassell.
(b) Mazie Gordon.
(c) John McSorley.
(d) Daniel O'Connell.
13. What occupation does Jane dream of having?
14. How old was Jane when she grew a full beard?
15. Which adjective best describes the atmosphere of McSorley's?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the "Old Yankee" run?
2. Who is "Professor Sea Gull"?
3. What did James Hall believe that he was doing?
4. What happened to the money people sent to Mitchell for the "cave dwellers"?
5. How many notebooks did Joe have written?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)