|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would James Hall do to preach?
(a) Get phone numbers.
(b) Stand outside churches of other faiths to preach.
(c) Show up at random homes.
(d) Preach on the bus.
2. Why is Mitchell compelled by Jane?
(a) Her appearance.
(b) Her outlook on life.
(c) Her education and skills.
(d) Her career resume.
3. How many mummies did Charles claim to have owned?
4. How did Jane's father feel about her?
(a) He was ashamed and kept her locked away.
(b) He refused to ever get to know his daughter.
(c) He loved her.
(d) He was embarrassed of her.
5. For what reason did Bill often close his business early?
(a) His wife made him come early for dinner.
(b) He had to work at another business.
(c) He got tired.
(d) He was tempted to drink alcohol.
6. Why did the owner of McSorley's change the name?
(a) He bought a new sign.
(b) He knew he was going to pass it down to a family member.
(c) His business wasn't popular with the old name.
(d) His wife hated the name.
7. Which person that Mitchell writes about wears a scarf to hide his or her face?
(b) Thomas O'Boyle.
(c) Joe Gould.
8. How did Mazie spend most of her evenings?
(a) Walking around the streets.
(b) Reading about poverty.
(c) Cleaning up the theater.
(d) Working at the food mission.
9. How old is Philippa Duke Schuyler?
10. Who did Mazie cite as being helpful?
11. When was "The Old House at Home" opened?
12. Who is the founder of the Anti-profanity League?
13. Where did Mitchell meet Archie Clock?
(c) Clam beds.
14. What are Philippa's parents?
(a) Construction workers.
(c) Factory workers.
15. What does Mitchell say populated streets at night?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the historian for a club for deaf people?
2. What kind of work do the Mohawk Indians tend to leave for?
3. Which adjective best describes the atmosphere of McSorley's?
4. How did the "cave dwellers" feel after they read their story?
5. Who does Mitchell describe as thieves?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)