|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Worrying over his students, Booker often loses:
2. When Booker goes to the smoking car of a train after dining with two women, what happens?
3. Who becomes Tuskegee Institute's treasurer and substitute principal?
4. During the time that a new boarding program is being developed at Tuskegee Institute, challenges include:
5. Does General Armstrong teach at Tuskegee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give examples of how different people support Tuskegee Institute.
2. Why does Booker feel it was worth his time to travel two thousand miles just to deliver a five-minute speech?
3. Why does Booker go to Europe?
4. What happens after Booker walks two miles to a man's house to request a donation for his school?
5. Describe the attempt by Booker and his students to build a kiln for baking bricks.
6. How do his students treat Booker T. Washington?
7. How is Booker's speech at the Atlanta Exposition received?
8. Describe Booker's experience on a train ride where he dines in the white section.
9. Explain why Washington says he feels responsible for the success of Tuskegee Institute.
10. Booker demands cleanliness from his students. What one item does he insist everyone have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author spends some time discussing race relations.
1. Summarize a few of the key points Booker makes regarding the interactions, attitudes, and tension between blacks and whites.
2. What negative behaviors and trends does he observe?
3. What positive interactions does he notice between the two races?
4. What conclusions does he reach regarding race relations?
Essay Topic 2
Through his lifetime of work, Booker not only lifts himself up also but creates opportunities for countless blacks.
1. Citing examples, show how Booker helps blacks advance during the post-Civil War era and into the twentieth century.
2. Explain how holding on to his values and living his passion enable Booker to help countless people.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Booker's family, including his mother, siblings, wives, and children. How does he feel toward them? How do they work together?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)