|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Europe, what observation does Booker make about Holland?
2. At the Tuskegee Institute, Booker absolutely insists that every student have and use a:
3. What does Booker feel should determine the right to vote?
4. What does Booker say about his school's treasurer?
5. Why does Washington travel with Armstrong throughout larger Northern cities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the attempt by Booker and his students to build a kiln for baking bricks.
2. Give examples of how different people support Tuskegee Institute.
3. What important lesson does Booker T. Washington say he learns from General Armstrong?
4. Describe Booker's experience on a train ride where he dines in the white section.
5. How long are Booker and his second wife married?
6. What happens after Booker walks two miles to a man's house to request a donation for his school?
7. When he's not working, what does Booker enjoy doing?
8. What does Booker say about approaching the very wealthy for support for his school?
9. What hardships are experienced when Booker, his staff, and his students launch a boarding program effort at Tuskegee?
10. Why do Booker Washington and General Armstrong travel together to larger Northern cities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Booker lives a remarkable life, going from being a slave to being a successful educator whose school is visited by the President of the United States.
1. Describe what Booker thinks about going from poverty and slavery to reaching such great heights.
2. How does he earn the respect he deserves?
Essay Topic 2
In his book, Booker T. Washington offers his reflections and tips on public speaking.
1. Summarize what he says about public speaking. Then, offer several specific tips that he provides.
2. What does he say he enjoys about giving speeches? Why is this a worthwhile activity for him?
Essay Topic 3
What legacy does Booker T. Washington leave behind? How would you say that his life's work contributes to education and race relations today?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)