|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Booker sell his own watch to raise fifteen dollars?
2. During his big speech in 1895, what does Booker focus on?
3. What does Booker state about the attitude of his Tuskegee students against manual labor?
4. During the time that a new boarding program is being developed at Tuskegee Institute, challenges include:
5. According to Washington, what group makes the best audience?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a mill owner help out Booker's Tuskegee school?
2. Why does Booker go to Europe?
3. Who are Booker T. Washington's sons?
4. Why does Booker feel it was worth his time to travel two thousand miles just to deliver a five-minute speech?
5. Why do Booker Washington and General Armstrong travel together to larger Northern cities?
6. How long are Booker and his second wife married?
7. When he's not working, what does Booker enjoy doing?
8. Why do Booker and his students launch an effort to make bricks?
9. Give examples of how different people support Tuskegee Institute.
10. Describe the attempt by Booker and his students to build a kiln for baking bricks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Describe the various jobs Booker has as a child, first as a slave on a plantation and later as a free person in his stepfather's town.
2. What hardships does young Booker endure?
3. What lessons does he learn though these hardships?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Booker's family, including his mother, siblings, wives, and children. How does he feel toward them? How do they work together?
Essay Topic 3
Whether or not he realizes it, Booker T. Washington is an innovator. He makes innovations in teaching methods, school programs, and school curriculum. Describe, in detail, what innovations Booker brings about in education and how he puts them into effect.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)