|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Washington's third wife?
2. What does Booker state about the attitude of his Tuskegee students against manual labor?
3. In "Raising Money," although Washington's meeting with a potential donor for his school doesn't go quite as expected, what happens years later?
4. When money is raised for Booker and his wife to travel to Europe, the author feels what?
5. "Porter Hall" at Tuskegee Institute is named after whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do his students treat Booker T. Washington?
2. What burden does Booker feel he carries as his speaking engagements increase?
3. Give examples of how different people support Tuskegee Institute.
4. What hardships are experienced when Booker, his staff, and his students launch a boarding program effort at Tuskegee?
5. Why does Booker go to Europe?
6. When he's not working, what does Booker enjoy doing?
7. Booker demands cleanliness from his students. What one item does he insist everyone have?
8. How does a mill owner help out Booker's Tuskegee school?
9. What does Booker say about approaching the very wealthy for support for his school?
10. Who are Booker T. Washington's sons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of teacher is Booker? What makes him stand apart? How does he regard his students? How do his students regard him? In what ways is he an exceptional educator?
Essay Topic 2
The author spends some time discussing race relations.
1. Summarize a few of the key points Booker makes regarding the interactions, attitudes, and tension between blacks and whites.
2. What negative behaviors and trends does he observe?
3. What positive interactions does he notice between the two races?
4. What conclusions does he reach regarding race relations?
Essay Topic 3
Whether or not he realizes it, Booker T. Washington is an innovator. He makes innovations in teaching methods, school programs, and school curriculum. Describe, in detail, what innovations Booker brings about in education and how he puts them into effect.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)