|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do donors and supporters of Tuskegee thank Washington for?
2. As Washington's speaking engagements increase, he becomes aware that he carries a great burden because:
3. Booker's trip to Europe is his first vacation in how many years?
4. Who becomes Tuskegee Institute's treasurer and substitute principal?
5. Why does Booker have his students build the Tuskegee Institute's buildings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the attempt by Booker and his students to build a kiln for baking bricks.
2. During his speech to a large audience at the Atlanta Exposition, what does Booker focus on?
3. Why do Booker Washington and General Armstrong travel together to larger Northern cities?
4. How long are Booker and his second wife married?
5. Who is Rev. Robert C. Bedford?
6. Give examples of how different people support Tuskegee Institute.
7. Booker demands cleanliness from his students. What one item does he insist everyone have?
8. Why does Booker go to Europe?
9. How do his students treat Booker T. Washington?
10. When asking potential donors for money for a particular building, what other information does Booker share with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author spends some time discussing race relations.
1. Summarize a few of the key points Booker makes regarding the interactions, attitudes, and tension between blacks and whites.
2. What negative behaviors and trends does he observe?
3. What positive interactions does he notice between the two races?
4. What conclusions does he reach regarding race relations?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Booker T. Washington's life as a child and a slave with his life as an adult and an educator.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of Booker's closest friends and colleagues. In what ways do they influence Booker? What important lessons does he learn from them?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)