|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Booker say about the way that Southerners treat him?
2. When Booker is schedule to speak in Boston, he's also invited to speak where?
3. What does Booker state about the attitude of his Tuskegee students against manual labor?
4. In the chapter "Raising Money," what is the outcome of the meeting Booker has with a man he had been told might be interested in donating to his school?
5. What does Booker feel should determine the right to vote?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Rev. Robert C. Bedford?
2. How do his students treat Booker T. Washington?
3. Who are Booker T. Washington's sons?
4. What hardships are experienced when Booker, his staff, and his students launch a boarding program effort at Tuskegee?
5. Describe Booker's experience on a train ride where he dines in the white section.
6. How is Booker's speech at the Atlanta Exposition received?
7. What important lesson does Booker T. Washington say he learns from General Armstrong?
8. When asking potential donors for money for a particular building, what other information does Booker share with them?
9. Describe the attempt by Booker and his students to build a kiln for baking bricks.
10. How long are Booker and his second wife married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are times in his life when Booker learns hard lessons. What are some of the hard lessons Booker learns? How does he maintain a sense of optimism or hope after difficult or disappointing experiences? What prevents him from losing faith in humanity?
Essay Topic 2
1. What are Booker's thoughts on education as a child? As a teen? As a young man studying to be a teacher? As a young teacher? As the director of a school?
2. How does Booker's philosophy on education evolve over time? In what ways do his ideas remain unchanged?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout his life, many people help Booker succeed.
1. Describe some of the people who are influential in helping Booker become a success.
2. How do these people help Booker? Cite specific examples from the book.
3. Describe how the help that Booker receives in turn propels him to help countless others.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)