|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After dining with two women in a train's dining section, Booker goes to the smoking car where he expects:
2. How long does it take Booker's school to raise enough money to pay off debt?
3. As Washington's speaking engagements increase, he becomes aware that he carries a great burden because:
4. During his speech at the Atlanta Exposition, Washington says people need to work together to pull the South up, or else:
5. Worrying over his students, Booker often loses:
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Rev. Robert C. Bedford?
2. Describe Booker's third wife.
3. Why does Booker go to Europe?
4. How do his students treat Booker T. Washington?
5. Who are Booker T. Washington's sons?
6. What hardships are experienced when Booker, his staff, and his students launch a boarding program effort at Tuskegee?
7. Give examples of how different people support Tuskegee Institute.
8. During his speech to a large audience at the Atlanta Exposition, what does Booker focus on?
9. When he's not working, what does Booker enjoy doing?
10. Booker demands cleanliness from his students. What one item does he insist everyone have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Booker is a keen observer of human nature and includes many of his observations in his autobiography. Select three observations that he makes about human nature, and describe them in detail. Why does he include this information in his book?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his life, many people help Booker succeed.
1. Describe some of the people who are influential in helping Booker become a success.
2. How do these people help Booker? Cite specific examples from the book.
3. Describe how the help that Booker receives in turn propels him to help countless others.
Essay Topic 3
1. Explain Booker's views on manual labor. Why does he feel this way?
2. As a teacher and a director, how does Booker incorporate manual labor into his educational curriculum? Cite specific examples from the book.
3. How do students, other teachers, and parents feel about Booker's methods of adding practical skills to his educational curriculum? Explain.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)