|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Booker travels by train and two women recognize him, they insist that he join them for dinner. Why does this worry him?
2. What does Booker state about the attitude of his Tuskegee students against manual labor?
3. According to Washington, what group makes the best audience?
4. How long does it take Booker's school to raise enough money to pay off debt?
5. During his travels, what does Booker like to do on the train rides?
Essay Topic 1
What legacy does Booker T. Washington leave behind? How would you say that his life's work contributes to education and race relations today?
Essay Topic 2
Booker gets the opportunity to travel to Europe with his family. Although at first he is reluctant to leave his work behind, he ends up enjoying the trip immensely.
Describe Booker's trip to Europe. What does he learn from his travels? What captures his attention? How is he received throughout Europe? What ideas does he bring back home?
Essay Topic 3
The author spends some time discussing race relations.
1. Summarize a few of the key points Booker makes regarding the interactions, attitudes, and tension between blacks and whites.
2. What negative behaviors and trends does he observe?
3. What positive interactions does he notice between the two races?
4. What conclusions does he reach regarding race relations?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)