|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Booker state about the attitude of his Tuskegee students against manual labor?
2. When money is raised for Booker and his wife to travel to Europe, the author feels what?
3. Booker remarks that too many people use the Christmas season as:
4. At the Tuskegee Institute, Booker absolutely insists that every student have and use a:
5. After traveling two thousand miles to give his five-minute speech, what does Booker do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Explain Booker's views on manual labor. Why does he feel this way?
2. As a teacher and a director, how does Booker incorporate manual labor into his educational curriculum? Cite specific examples from the book.
3. How do students, other teachers, and parents feel about Booker's methods of adding practical skills to his educational curriculum? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There are times in his life when Booker learns hard lessons. What are some of the hard lessons Booker learns? How does he maintain a sense of optimism or hope after difficult or disappointing experiences? What prevents him from losing faith in humanity?
Essay Topic 3
Booker lives a remarkable life, going from being a slave to being a successful educator whose school is visited by the President of the United States.
1. Describe what Booker thinks about going from poverty and slavery to reaching such great heights.
2. How does he earn the respect he deserves?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)