|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because he's disappointed by how the people of Tuskegee regard Christmas, what does Booker introduce at his school?
2. Washington travels two thousand miles to give a five-minute speech to whom?
3. What happens to Booker's second wife?
4. What expo is Booker invited to speak at in September of 1895?
5. During his speech at the Atlanta Exposition, Washington says people need to work together to pull the South up, or else:
Short Essay Questions
1. How do his students treat Booker T. Washington?
2. What hardships are experienced when Booker, his staff, and his students launch a boarding program effort at Tuskegee?
3. What happens after Booker walks two miles to a man's house to request a donation for his school?
4. Booker demands cleanliness from his students. What one item does he insist everyone have?
5. Give examples of how different people support Tuskegee Institute.
6. What burden does Booker feel he carries as his speaking engagements increase?
7. Why do Booker and his students launch an effort to make bricks?
8. Describe the attempt by Booker and his students to build a kiln for baking bricks.
9. Why does Booker go to Europe?
10. When asking potential donors for money for a particular building, what other information does Booker share with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Describe the various jobs Booker has as a child, first as a slave on a plantation and later as a free person in his stepfather's town.
2. What hardships does young Booker endure?
3. What lessons does he learn though these hardships?
Essay Topic 2
Through his lifetime of work, Booker not only lifts himself up also but creates opportunities for countless blacks.
1. Citing examples, show how Booker helps blacks advance during the post-Civil War era and into the twentieth century.
2. Explain how holding on to his values and living his passion enable Booker to help countless people.
Essay Topic 3
In his book, Booker T. Washington offers his reflections and tips on public speaking.
1. Summarize what he says about public speaking. Then, offer several specific tips that he provides.
2. What does he say he enjoys about giving speeches? Why is this a worthwhile activity for him?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)