|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Raising Money," after his meeting with a man whom he expected would donate to his school, how does Booker feel?
2. Because he's disappointed by how the people of Tuskegee regard Christmas, what does Booker introduce at his school?
3. What do donors and supporters of Tuskegee thank Washington for?
4. After traveling two thousand miles to give his five-minute speech, what does Booker do?
5. When Booker travels by train and two women recognize him, they insist that he join them for dinner. Why does this worry him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Booker's experience on a train ride where he dines in the white section.
2. When he's not working, what does Booker enjoy doing?
3. Why does Booker go to Europe?
4. Why does Booker feel it was worth his time to travel two thousand miles just to deliver a five-minute speech?
5. How do his students treat Booker T. Washington?
6. How does a mill owner help out Booker's Tuskegee school?
7. Give examples of how different people support Tuskegee Institute.
8. Explain why Washington says he feels responsible for the success of Tuskegee Institute.
9. How is Booker's speech at the Atlanta Exposition received?
10. Booker demands cleanliness from his students. What one item does he insist everyone have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Explain Booker's views on manual labor. Why does he feel this way?
2. As a teacher and a director, how does Booker incorporate manual labor into his educational curriculum? Cite specific examples from the book.
3. How do students, other teachers, and parents feel about Booker's methods of adding practical skills to his educational curriculum? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1. Describe the various jobs Booker has as a child, first as a slave on a plantation and later as a free person in his stepfather's town.
2. What hardships does young Booker endure?
3. What lessons does he learn though these hardships?
Essay Topic 3
There are times in his life when Booker learns hard lessons. What are some of the hard lessons Booker learns? How does he maintain a sense of optimism or hope after difficult or disappointing experiences? What prevents him from losing faith in humanity?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)