|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his big speech in 1895, what does Booker focus on?
2. When Booker travels by train and two women recognize him, they insist that he join them for dinner. Why does this worry him?
3. Why do members of the community buy the bricks made by Booker's students?
4. Regarding the people that Booker approaches to support Tuskegee Institute, he notes that:
5. When Booker gets up one evening to check on a group of young men at Tuskegee, what does he find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Booker feel it was worth his time to travel two thousand miles just to deliver a five-minute speech?
2. Who are Booker T. Washington's sons?
3. Describe Booker's experience on a train ride where he dines in the white section.
4. Why do Booker Washington and General Armstrong travel together to larger Northern cities?
5. During his speech to a large audience at the Atlanta Exposition, what does Booker focus on?
6. Why do Booker and his students launch an effort to make bricks?
7. What does Booker say about approaching the very wealthy for support for his school?
8. When he's not working, what does Booker enjoy doing?
9. How does a mill owner help out Booker's Tuskegee school?
10. Who is Rev. Robert C. Bedford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What legacy does Booker T. Washington leave behind? How would you say that his life's work contributes to education and race relations today?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of teacher is Booker? What makes him stand apart? How does he regard his students? How do his students regard him? In what ways is he an exceptional educator?
Essay Topic 3
In his book, Booker T. Washington offers his reflections and tips on public speaking.
1. Summarize what he says about public speaking. Then, offer several specific tips that he provides.
2. What does he say he enjoys about giving speeches? Why is this a worthwhile activity for him?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)