|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After dining with two women in a train's dining section, Booker goes to the smoking car where he expects:
2. What does Booker say about the way that Southerners treat him?
3. What happens to Booker's second wife?
4. What does Booker T. Washington say that General Armstrong teaches him about racial prejudice?
5. When Miss Davidson travels to ask for financial support for the Tuskegee Institute, she meets two Northern ladies who agree to donate:
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Booker's speech at the Atlanta Exposition received?
2. What are some of the things that Booker says about his personal experience with public speaking?
3. How do his students treat Booker T. Washington?
4. Describe Booker's third wife.
5. Who are Booker T. Washington's sons?
6. Describe Booker's disappointment in how the people of Tuskegee regard Christmas and what he decides to do to improve the situation.
7. Why does Booker feel it was worth his time to travel two thousand miles just to deliver a five-minute speech?
8. What does Booker say about approaching the very wealthy for support for his school?
9. When asking potential donors for money for a particular building, what other information does Booker share with them?
10. What important lesson does Booker T. Washington say he learns from General Armstrong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of Booker's closest friends and colleagues. In what ways do they influence Booker? What important lessons does he learn from them?
Essay Topic 2
The author spends some time discussing race relations.
1. Summarize a few of the key points Booker makes regarding the interactions, attitudes, and tension between blacks and whites.
2. What negative behaviors and trends does he observe?
3. What positive interactions does he notice between the two races?
4. What conclusions does he reach regarding race relations?
Essay Topic 3
Booker gets the opportunity to travel to Europe with his family. Although at first he is reluctant to leave his work behind, he ends up enjoying the trip immensely.
Describe Booker's trip to Europe. What does he learn from his travels? What captures his attention? How is he received throughout Europe? What ideas does he bring back home?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)