|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Booker's third wife do at Tuskegee?
2. How long does it take Booker's school to raise enough money to pay off debt?
3. When Booker travels by train and two women recognize him, they insist that he join them for dinner. Why does this worry him?
4. What happens when Booker and his students try to construct a kiln for baking bricks?
5. With a working kiln, Booker and his students make bricks for their school and for what other purpose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Booker's third wife.
2. How does a mill owner help out Booker's Tuskegee school?
3. How do his students treat Booker T. Washington?
4. How long are Booker and his second wife married?
5. Who are Booker T. Washington's sons?
6. Why do Booker and his students launch an effort to make bricks?
7. How is Booker's speech at the Atlanta Exposition received?
8. Describe Booker's disappointment in how the people of Tuskegee regard Christmas and what he decides to do to improve the situation.
9. What are some of the things that Booker says about his personal experience with public speaking?
10. When asking potential donors for money for a particular building, what other information does Booker share with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of Booker's closest friends and colleagues. In what ways do they influence Booker? What important lessons does he learn from them?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Booker's family, including his mother, siblings, wives, and children. How does he feel toward them? How do they work together?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout his life, many people help Booker succeed.
1. Describe some of the people who are influential in helping Booker become a success.
2. How do these people help Booker? Cite specific examples from the book.
3. Describe how the help that Booker receives in turn propels him to help countless others.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)