|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Booker travels with a young Indian boy who is ill, how are they treated by outsiders?
2. While living with his stepfather, young Booker works:
3. What does Booker quickly discover about the Indians at Hampton?
4. When speaking about other students at Hampton, Booker notes that:
5. What does Booker comment about the schools in Tuskegee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who works closely with Booker to establish the new school in Tuskegee?
2. How does Booker T. Washington end up overseeing a new school in Tuskegee, Alabama?
3. How do Booker and his family reach their new home after they are freed?
4. What challenges does Booker encounter along his journey to Hampton?
5. Why does Booker go to Europe?
6. What is "The Plucky Class?"
7. Describe President McKinley's visit to Tuskegee.
8. What burden does Booker feel he carries as his speaking engagements increase?
9. What important lesson does Booker learn working with Miss Mackie, whom he describes as a member of a cultured Northern family?
10. Explain why Booker feels that many students come out of school with an education but without the ability to make a living.
Essay Topic 1
What kind of teacher is Booker? What makes him stand apart? How does he regard his students? How do his students regard him? In what ways is he an exceptional educator?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Booker's family, including his mother, siblings, wives, and children. How does he feel toward them? How do they work together?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of Booker's closest friends and colleagues. In what ways do they influence Booker? What important lessons does he learn from them?
This section contains 1,564 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)