|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Booker states that the vast majority of blacks at Hampton are more than willing to:
2. Who joins Booker as co-teacher at his school in Tuskegee?
3. Why do young Booker and his family live in the plantation's kitchen?
4. After completing his studies and returning to Malden, Booker is hired to work as a teacher. His workdays start at 8:00 AM and don't end until what time?
5. To start with, how many students does Booker have at his school in Tuskegee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Booker decides it's time for him to go to Hampton. What is Hampton?
2. What does Booker do at the end of his first year at Hampton?
3. According to Booker, how might blacks suddenly faced with freedom have been better served?
4. Who is Olivia A. Davidson?
5. What is "The Plucky Class?"
6. How do the blacks and the Indians get along at Hampton?
7. What does Booker say that many blacks aspire to during the post-Civil War "Reconstruction Period?"
8. What does Booker mean when he says that the people of Tuskegee are prone to some excess?
9. What important lesson does Booker learn working with Miss Mackie, whom he describes as a member of a cultured Northern family?
10. Describe Booker's early childhood family and home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Booker's family, including his mother, siblings, wives, and children. How does he feel toward them? How do they work together?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Booker T. Washington's life as a child and a slave with his life as an adult and an educator.
Essay Topic 3
What kind of teacher is Booker? What makes him stand apart? How does he regard his students? How do his students regard him? In what ways is he an exceptional educator?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)