|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To help Booker while he's studying at Hampton, who sends him small amounts of money whenever possible?
2. As a young boy, one of Booker's jobs is what?
3. After completing his studies and returning to Malden, Booker is hired to work as a teacher. His workdays start at 8:00 AM and don't end until what time?
4. All of Booker's students at Tuskegee are at least:
5. Among the unnecessary excesses that he describes for the families of Tuskegee living in poverty, what does Booker include?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do blacks react upon being read the Emancipation Proclamation?
2. Booker decides it's time for him to go to Hampton. What is Hampton?
3. How do the blacks and the Indians get along at Hampton?
4. Upon obtaining their freedom, where do Booker and his family go?
5. How does Booker T. Washington end up overseeing a new school in Tuskegee, Alabama?
6. Describe Booker's experience of traveling with an Indian boy who is ill.
7. What does Booker say about those who become teachers and preachers?
8. What is "The Plucky Class?"
9. What important lesson does Booker learn working with Miss Mackie, whom he describes as a member of a cultured Northern family?
10. Describe the position that General Armstrong offers Booker Washington at Hampton.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Booker's family, including his mother, siblings, wives, and children. How does he feel toward them? How do they work together?
Essay Topic 2
Booker develops and maintains strong work ethics and high standards.
1. Describe Booker's work ethics. How do they help him reach success?
2. What standards does Booker live by? How do these standards help him accomplish great things in his life? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
In his book, Booker T. Washington offers his reflections and tips on public speaking.
1. Summarize what he says about public speaking. Then, offer several specific tips that he provides.
2. What does he say he enjoys about giving speeches? Why is this a worthwhile activity for him?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)