|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Booker travels with a young Indian boy who is ill, how are they treated by outsiders?
2. After his first year at Hampton, where does Booker work during the summer?
3. Booker feels that some individuals were not served well enough by their education and that, in the end, their desires increased but:
4. What does Booker remark regarding the acceptance of Indians by the blacks at Hampton?
5. Booker explains that some girls who had worked as laundresses went to school for six to eight years and came out not wanting to do laundry but wanting:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Booker purchase an old plantation for the Tuskegee Institute?
2. Booker decides it's time for him to go to Hampton. What is Hampton?
3. What is "The Plucky Class?"
4. Explain why Booker feels that many students come out of school with an education but without the ability to make a living.
5. Who is Olivia A. Davidson?
6. What does Booker do after completing his studies with honors?
7. What does Booker say about those who become teachers and preachers?
8. Describe Booker's experience of traveling with an Indian boy who is ill.
9. How does Booker T. Washington end up overseeing a new school in Tuskegee, Alabama?
10. How does Booker describe the residents of Tuskegee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his life, many people help Booker succeed.
1. Describe some of the people who are influential in helping Booker become a success.
2. How do these people help Booker? Cite specific examples from the book.
3. Describe how the help that Booker receives in turn propels him to help countless others.
Essay Topic 2
In his book, Booker T. Washington offers his reflections and tips on public speaking.
1. Summarize what he says about public speaking. Then, offer several specific tips that he provides.
2. What does he say he enjoys about giving speeches? Why is this a worthwhile activity for him?
Essay Topic 3
Whether or not he realizes it, Booker T. Washington is an innovator. He makes innovations in teaching methods, school programs, and school curriculum. Describe, in detail, what innovations Booker brings about in education and how he puts them into effect.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)