|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While working for Mrs. Ruffner, Booker soon learns that she demands:
2. Although he is uncertain of the exact location of his birth, Booker T. Washington believes he was born near a:
3. What is a typical week for farming families in Tuskegee?
4. As a young boy, one of Booker's jobs is what?
5. What project does Booker take over at Hampton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Booker purchase an old plantation for the Tuskegee Institute?
2. Who works closely with Booker to establish the new school in Tuskegee?
3. Upon obtaining their freedom, where do Booker and his family go?
4. Who is Olivia A. Davidson?
5. How do Booker and his family reach their new home after they are freed?
6. What does young Booker do on the plantation as a slave?
7. What is "The Plucky Class?"
8. Explain why Booker feels that many students come out of school with an education but without the ability to make a living.
9. Describe Mrs. Ruffner and the work Booker does for her.
10. What jobs does Booker have as a child in Malden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are times in his life when Booker learns hard lessons. What are some of the hard lessons Booker learns? How does he maintain a sense of optimism or hope after difficult or disappointing experiences? What prevents him from losing faith in humanity?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Booker T. Washington's life as a child and a slave with his life as an adult and an educator.
Essay Topic 3
In his book, Booker T. Washington offers his reflections and tips on public speaking.
1. Summarize what he says about public speaking. Then, offer several specific tips that he provides.
2. What does he say he enjoys about giving speeches? Why is this a worthwhile activity for him?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)