|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the blacks at Hampton agree to room with Indians?
2. Who joins Booker as co-teacher at his school in Tuskegee?
3. What does Booker say about his job working in coalmines?
4. Booker observes that during the Reconstruction Period, many who held public office were unable to do what after leaving office?
5. Booker states that many former slaves wanted to:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Booker do after completing his studies with honors?
2. What does Booker mean when he says that the people of Tuskegee are prone to some excess?
3. Describe Booker's early childhood family and home.
4. Why does Booker purchase an old plantation for the Tuskegee Institute?
5. How does Booker describe the residents of Tuskegee?
6. What challenges does Booker encounter along his journey to Hampton?
7. Booker decides it's time for him to go to Hampton. What is Hampton?
8. How do blacks react upon being read the Emancipation Proclamation?
9. What important lesson does Booker learn working with Miss Mackie, whom he describes as a member of a cultured Northern family?
10. Upon obtaining their freedom, where do Booker and his family go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whether or not he realizes it, Booker T. Washington is an innovator. He makes innovations in teaching methods, school programs, and school curriculum. Describe, in detail, what innovations Booker brings about in education and how he puts them into effect.
Essay Topic 2
Booker develops and maintains strong work ethics and high standards.
1. Describe Booker's work ethics. How do they help him reach success?
2. What standards does Booker live by? How do these standards help him accomplish great things in his life? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
In his book, Booker T. Washington offers his reflections and tips on public speaking.
1. Summarize what he says about public speaking. Then, offer several specific tips that he provides.
2. What does he say he enjoys about giving speeches? Why is this a worthwhile activity for him?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)