|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he travels to Hampton, the author arrives in Richmond, Virginia, flat broke and spends the night where?
2. What does Booker note that the people of Tuskegee want from him?
3. Booker explains that some girls who had worked as laundresses went to school for six to eight years and came out not wanting to do laundry but wanting:
4. Booker observes that during the Reconstruction Period, many who held public office were unable to do what after leaving office?
5. What does Booker remark regarding the acceptance of Indians by the blacks at Hampton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the position that General Armstrong offers Booker Washington at Hampton.
2. Describe Booker's experience of traveling with an Indian boy who is ill.
3. What is the Tuskegee Institute like in its earliest days?
4. What does Booker T. Washington know about his birth?
5. What two things does Washington say every former slave who is newly freed wants?
6. Describe Mrs. Ruffner and the work Booker does for her.
7. Does Mrs. Ruffner encourage Booker to get an education?
8. What jobs does Booker have as a child in Malden?
9. What does Booker say that many blacks aspire to during the post-Civil War "Reconstruction Period?"
10. Who is Olivia A. Davidson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the book, explain how the following influence Booker's work:
Essay Topic 2
Describe Booker's family, including his mother, siblings, wives, and children. How does he feel toward them? How do they work together?
Essay Topic 3
1. Explain Booker's views on manual labor. Why does he feel this way?
2. As a teacher and a director, how does Booker incorporate manual labor into his educational curriculum? Cite specific examples from the book.
3. How do students, other teachers, and parents feel about Booker's methods of adding practical skills to his educational curriculum? Explain.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)