|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his first year at Hampton, where does Booker work during the summer?
2. What did Lewis Adams learn while still in slavery?
3. In the author's view, how would the freed slaves have been better served?
4. While living with his stepfather, young Booker works:
5. As he travels to Hampton, the author arrives in Richmond, Virginia, flat broke and spends the night where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Booker feels that many students come out of school with an education but without the ability to make a living.
2. What important lesson does Booker learn working with Miss Mackie, whom he describes as a member of a cultured Northern family?
3. Who works closely with Booker to establish the new school in Tuskegee?
4. Describe Booker's first group of students at Tuskegee.
5. Who is Olivia A. Davidson?
6. How do blacks react upon being read the Emancipation Proclamation?
7. What does Booker say that many blacks aspire to during the post-Civil War "Reconstruction Period?"
8. How do Booker and his family reach their new home after they are freed?
9. What does Booker do at the end of his first year at Hampton?
10. How does Booker describe the residents of Tuskegee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Booker T. Washington's life as a child and a slave with his life as an adult and an educator.
Essay Topic 2
Booker helps blacks make tremendous advances. Explain how he helps blacks advance, and how he helps bring blacks and whites together, through the following roles:
1. As a teacher.
2. As a school administrator.
3. As a fund-raiser.
4. As a public speaker.
Essay Topic 3
Booker gets the opportunity to travel to Europe with his family. Although at first he is reluctant to leave his work behind, he ends up enjoying the trip immensely.
Describe Booker's trip to Europe. What does he learn from his travels? What captures his attention? How is he received throughout Europe? What ideas does he bring back home?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)