|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Booker explains that some girls who had worked as laundresses went to school for six to eight years and came out not wanting to do laundry but wanting:
2. When the author writes about the condition of the school he oversees in Tuskegee, what does he say about an umbrella?
3. How do the people of Tuskegee find Booker to oversee their school?
4. Who mentors Booker as he tries to establish a school in Tuskegee?
5. Booker states that the vast majority of blacks at Hampton are more than willing to:
Short Essay Questions
1. What jobs does Booker have as a child in Malden?
2. Upon obtaining their freedom, where do Booker and his family go?
3. Who is Olivia A. Davidson?
4. Booker decides it's time for him to go to Hampton. What is Hampton?
5. What challenges does Booker encounter along his journey to Hampton?
6. What does Booker do at the end of his first year at Hampton?
7. Describe Booker's experiences as a young man working at restaurants.
8. How do the blacks and the Indians get along at Hampton?
9. Describe the position that General Armstrong offers Booker Washington at Hampton.
10. What does Booker say that many blacks aspire to during the post-Civil War "Reconstruction Period?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through his lifetime of work, Booker not only lifts himself up also but creates opportunities for countless blacks.
1. Citing examples, show how Booker helps blacks advance during the post-Civil War era and into the twentieth century.
2. Explain how holding on to his values and living his passion enable Booker to help countless people.
Essay Topic 2
What legacy does Booker T. Washington leave behind? How would you say that his life's work contributes to education and race relations today?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of Booker's closest friends and colleagues. In what ways do they influence Booker? What important lessons does he learn from them?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)