|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Booker decides to go to Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute in Virginia, how does his community help him?
2. Booker says that even as a very young child, most of his time is spent:
3. Booker explains that many Tuskegee families offered gifts to help out his school. Which gift touched him the most?
4. On his journey to Hampton, Booker runs out of money for public transportation. How does he continue his journey?
5. How does Booker T. Washington get his last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Booker say about those who become teachers and preachers?
2. Upon obtaining their freedom, where do Booker and his family go?
3. How do Booker and his family reach their new home after they are freed?
4. Describe Booker's experiences as a young man working at restaurants.
5. Why does Booker purchase an old plantation for the Tuskegee Institute?
6. What jobs does Booker have as a child in Malden?
7. What does Booker mean when he says that the people of Tuskegee are prone to some excess?
8. What important lesson does Booker learn working with Miss Mackie, whom he describes as a member of a cultured Northern family?
9. Does Mrs. Ruffner encourage Booker to get an education?
10. Describe the position that General Armstrong offers Booker Washington at Hampton.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author spends some time discussing race relations.
1. Summarize a few of the key points Booker makes regarding the interactions, attitudes, and tension between blacks and whites.
2. What negative behaviors and trends does he observe?
3. What positive interactions does he notice between the two races?
4. What conclusions does he reach regarding race relations?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his life, many people help Booker succeed.
1. Describe some of the people who are influential in helping Booker become a success.
2. How do these people help Booker? Cite specific examples from the book.
3. Describe how the help that Booker receives in turn propels him to help countless others.
Essay Topic 3
Booker gets the opportunity to travel to Europe with his family. Although at first he is reluctant to leave his work behind, he ends up enjoying the trip immensely.
Describe Booker's trip to Europe. What does he learn from his travels? What captures his attention? How is he received throughout Europe? What ideas does he bring back home?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)