|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lewis Adams learn while still in slavery?
2. When Booker is hired as a waiter at a classy restaurant, who chastises him, and why?
3. When Booker wants a cap in order to fit in at his school, what does his mother do?
4. The "T" in Booker T. Washington stands for:
5. When he arrives at the school he's overseeing in Tuskegee, what does Booker find?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Booker do after completing his studies with honors?
2. Describe Booker's first group of students at Tuskegee.
3. How do Booker and his family reach their new home after they are freed?
4. How does Booker describe the residents of Tuskegee?
5. What does Booker say about those who become teachers and preachers?
6. How do the blacks and the Indians get along at Hampton?
7. What jobs does Booker have as a child in Malden?
8. Describe Booker's experience of traveling with an Indian boy who is ill.
9. Describe the position that General Armstrong offers Booker Washington at Hampton.
10. What does young Booker do on the plantation as a slave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Booker develops and maintains strong work ethics and high standards.
1. Describe Booker's work ethics. How do they help him reach success?
2. What standards does Booker live by? How do these standards help him accomplish great things in his life? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of Booker's closest friends and colleagues. In what ways do they influence Booker? What important lessons does he learn from them?
Essay Topic 3
1. What are Booker's thoughts on education as a child? As a teen? As a young man studying to be a teacher? As a young teacher? As the director of a school?
2. How does Booker's philosophy on education evolve over time? In what ways do his ideas remain unchanged?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)