|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Booker says that even as a very young child, most of his time is spent:
2. In addition to teaching day and night classes and doing tutoring, Booker teaches:
3. When the Emancipation Proclamation is read to slaves, freeing them immediately, what does Booker say they consider after their initial celebration?
4. Booker notes that many blacks of his era wanted to learn what two languages?
5. Booker feels that some individuals were not served well enough by their education and that, in the end, their desires increased but:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Booker say about those who become teachers and preachers?
2. Describe Mrs. Ruffner and the work Booker does for her.
3. Upon obtaining their freedom, where do Booker and his family go?
4. How do the blacks and the Indians get along at Hampton?
5. Who is Olivia A. Davidson?
6. What important lesson does Booker learn working with Miss Mackie, whom he describes as a member of a cultured Northern family?
7. What does Booker do at the end of his first year at Hampton?
8. Describe the position that General Armstrong offers Booker Washington at Hampton.
9. How does Booker T. Washington end up overseeing a new school in Tuskegee, Alabama?
10. Why does Booker purchase an old plantation for the Tuskegee Institute?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What legacy does Booker T. Washington leave behind? How would you say that his life's work contributes to education and race relations today?
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the book, explain how the following influence Booker's work:
Essay Topic 3
In his book, Booker T. Washington offers his reflections and tips on public speaking.
1. Summarize what he says about public speaking. Then, offer several specific tips that he provides.
2. What does he say he enjoys about giving speeches? Why is this a worthwhile activity for him?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)