|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who mentors Booker as he tries to establish a school in Tuskegee?
2. The "T" in Booker T. Washington stands for:
3. As he travels to Hampton, the author arrives in Richmond, Virginia, flat broke and spends the night where?
4. What does Booker say about his job working in coalmines?
5. After Booker and his family move into a small cabin with his stepfather in a salt-mining community, what do they discover about their new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Booker's first group of students at Tuskegee.
2. What does Booker T. Washington know about his birth?
3. What does Booker mean when he says that the people of Tuskegee are prone to some excess?
4. Describe Booker's experiences as a young man working at restaurants.
5. Who is Olivia A. Davidson?
6. What important lesson does Booker learn working with Miss Mackie, whom he describes as a member of a cultured Northern family?
7. Describe Mrs. Ruffner and the work Booker does for her.
8. What does Booker say that many blacks aspire to during the post-Civil War "Reconstruction Period?"
9. How do blacks react upon being read the Emancipation Proclamation?
10. Describe Booker's early childhood family and home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the book, explain how the following influence Booker's work:
Essay Topic 2
Booker lives a remarkable life, going from being a slave to being a successful educator whose school is visited by the President of the United States.
1. Describe what Booker thinks about going from poverty and slavery to reaching such great heights.
2. How does he earn the respect he deserves?
Essay Topic 3
Booker is a keen observer of human nature and includes many of his observations in his autobiography. Select three observations that he makes about human nature, and describe them in detail. Why does he include this information in his book?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)