Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies at the end of Booker's second year at Hampton?
2. Once freed, how do Booker and his family reach their new home to live with his stepfather?
3. Who mentors Booker as he tries to establish a school in Tuskegee?
4. Booker says that even as a very young child, most of his time is spent:
5. All of Booker's students at Tuskegee are at least:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Booker's disappointment in how the people of Tuskegee regard Christmas and what he decides to do to improve the situation.
2. What does Booker T. Washington know about his birth?
3. Explain why Washington says he feels responsible for the success of Tuskegee Institute.
4. What does Booker say that many blacks aspire to during the post-Civil War "Reconstruction Period?"
5. Why does Booker feel it was worth his time to travel two thousand miles just to deliver a five-minute speech?
6. Booker decides it's time for him to go to Hampton. What is Hampton?
7. How is Booker's speech at the Atlanta Exposition received?
8. How does Booker describe the residents of Tuskegee?
9. Describe President McKinley's visit to Tuskegee.
10. What burden does Booker feel he carries as his speaking engagements increase?
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the book, explain how the following influence Booker's work:
Essay Topic 2
Describe Booker's family, including his mother, siblings, wives, and children. How does he feel toward them? How do they work together?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Booker T. Washington's life as a child and a slave with his life as an adult and an educator.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)