|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Booker take to pay for his room and board at Hampton?
2. What does Booker say about his job working in coalmines?
3. The "T" in Booker T. Washington stands for:
4. When he teaches back home in Malden, what does Booker include in his curriculum for his day classes?
5. In the chapter "Boyhood Days," what does Booker say he does in order to get to school on time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Booker describe the residents of Tuskegee?
2. Describe Mrs. Ruffner and the work Booker does for her.
3. What jobs does Booker have as a child in Malden?
4. Describe Booker's experience of traveling with an Indian boy who is ill.
5. Does Mrs. Ruffner encourage Booker to get an education?
6. What is the Tuskegee Institute like in its earliest days?
7. Upon obtaining their freedom, where do Booker and his family go?
8. What two things does Washington say every former slave who is newly freed wants?
9. Who is Olivia A. Davidson?
10. How do the blacks and the Indians get along at Hampton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Booker helps blacks make tremendous advances. Explain how he helps blacks advance, and how he helps bring blacks and whites together, through the following roles:
1. As a teacher.
2. As a school administrator.
3. As a fund-raiser.
4. As a public speaker.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Booker T. Washington's life as a child and a slave with his life as an adult and an educator.
Essay Topic 3
What legacy does Booker T. Washington leave behind? How would you say that his life's work contributes to education and race relations today?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)