|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What project does Booker take over at Hampton?
2. What does the author say that all of the newly freed, former slaves want?
3. Booker T. Washington spends his early years, from his birth until the end of the Civil War, as:
4. Where does Booker go at the end of his second year at Hampton?
5. When Booker finally arrives at Hampton and meets the head teacher, what does he tell her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Booker's first group of students at Tuskegee.
2. When he's not working, what does Booker enjoy doing?
3. What does Booker T. Washington know about his birth?
4. What hardships are experienced when Booker, his staff, and his students launch a boarding program effort at Tuskegee?
5. How does a mill owner help out Booker's Tuskegee school?
6. When asking potential donors for money for a particular building, what other information does Booker share with them?
7. Does Mrs. Ruffner encourage Booker to get an education?
8. Why does Booker feel it was worth his time to travel two thousand miles just to deliver a five-minute speech?
9. Who is Rev. Robert C. Bedford?
10. Why does Booker purchase an old plantation for the Tuskegee Institute?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What legacy does Booker T. Washington leave behind? How would you say that his life's work contributes to education and race relations today?
Essay Topic 2
In his book, Booker T. Washington offers his reflections and tips on public speaking.
1. Summarize what he says about public speaking. Then, offer several specific tips that he provides.
2. What does he say he enjoys about giving speeches? Why is this a worthwhile activity for him?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of teacher is Booker? What makes him stand apart? How does he regard his students? How do his students regard him? In what ways is he an exceptional educator?
This section contains 1,597 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)