|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his first year at Hampton, where does Booker work during the summer?
2. In addition to teaching day and night classes and doing tutoring, Booker teaches:
3. When speaking about other students at Hampton, Booker notes that:
4. What project does Booker take over at Hampton?
5. In order to repay debts Booker's school has accumulated, his co-teacher holds what type of fundraisers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Olivia A. Davidson?
2. Why do Booker Washington and General Armstrong travel together to larger Northern cities?
3. What challenges does Booker encounter along his journey to Hampton?
4. How is Booker's speech at the Atlanta Exposition received?
5. What important lesson does Booker learn working with Miss Mackie, whom he describes as a member of a cultured Northern family?
6. Explain why Booker feels that many students come out of school with an education but without the ability to make a living.
7. Describe Booker's third wife.
8. Describe Booker's first group of students at Tuskegee.
9. What jobs does Booker have as a child in Malden?
10. What does Booker say about approaching the very wealthy for support for his school?
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of Booker's closest friends and colleagues. In what ways do they influence Booker? What important lessons does he learn from them?
Essay Topic 2
What legacy does Booker T. Washington leave behind? How would you say that his life's work contributes to education and race relations today?
Essay Topic 3
Through his lifetime of work, Booker not only lifts himself up also but creates opportunities for countless blacks.
1. Citing examples, show how Booker helps blacks advance during the post-Civil War era and into the twentieth century.
2. Explain how holding on to his values and living his passion enable Booker to help countless people.
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)