Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies at the end of Booker's second year at Hampton?
2. Once freed, how do Booker and his family reach their new home to live with his stepfather?
3. Who mentors Booker as he tries to establish a school in Tuskegee?
4. Booker says that even as a very young child, most of his time is spent:
5. All of Booker's students at Tuskegee are at least:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Booker's disappointment in how the people of Tuskegee regard Christmas and what he decides to do to improve the situation.
2. What does Booker T. Washington know about his birth?
3. Explain why Washington says he feels responsible for the success of Tuskegee Institute.
4. What does Booker say that many blacks aspire to during the post-Civil War "Reconstruction Period?"
5. Why does Booker feel it was worth his time to travel two thousand miles just to deliver a five-minute speech?
6. Booker decides it's time for him to go to Hampton. What is Hampton?
7. How is Booker's speech at the Atlanta Exposition received?
8. How does Booker describe the residents of Tuskegee?
9. Describe President McKinley's visit to Tuskegee.
10. What burden does Booker feel he carries as his speaking engagements increase?
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of Booker's closest friends and colleagues. In what ways do they influence Booker? What important lessons does he learn from them?
Essay Topic 2
1. Describe the various jobs Booker has as a child, first as a slave on a plantation and later as a free person in his stepfather's town.
2. What hardships does young Booker endure?
3. What lessons does he learn though these hardships?
Essay Topic 3
Booker develops and maintains strong work ethics and high standards.
1. Describe Booker's work ethics. How do they help him reach success?
2. What standards does Booker live by? How do these standards help him accomplish great things in his life? Cite specific examples.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)