|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Booker is asked how his school can succeed with him gone so much, what does he reply?
(a) He leaves precise, detailed instructions for the teachers and administrators.
(b) The school is organized such that others can take over aspects of the operation in his absence.
(c) The school can't succeed if nobody goes out to talk about it and generate support.
(d) The students are industrious and can take care of themselves.
2. In "Raising Money," although Washington's meeting with a potential donor for his school doesn't go quite as expected, what happens years later?
(a) The man sends ten thousand dollars to the school.
(b) The man sends one thousand dollars to the school.
(c) The man visits the school and apologizes for not helping.
(d) The man decides to become a teacher at the school.
3. During the time that a new boarding program is being developed at Tuskegee Institute, challenges include:
(a) A strike by the school's teachers.
(b) Having nowhere to cook and no dining hall.
(c) A shortage of building supplies.
(d) Almost burning down the school.
4. During his speech at the Atlanta Exposition, Washington says people need to work together to pull the South up, or else:
(a) Allow others to pull against progress.
(b) Give up and walk away.
(c) Watch in despair as the nation crumbles.
(d) Bury their heads in the sand like an ostrich.
5. According to Washington, what group makes the best audience?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does General Armstrong loan to the Tuskegee Institute?
2. Does General Armstrong teach at Tuskegee?
3. What are the names of Booker's two sons?
4. After traveling two thousand miles to give his five-minute speech, what does Booker do?
5. What does Booker say about the way that Southerners treat him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Booker's third wife.
2. Who are Booker T. Washington's sons?
3. Who is Rev. Robert C. Bedford?
4. Why do Booker Washington and General Armstrong travel together to larger Northern cities?
5. How is Booker's speech at the Atlanta Exposition received?
6. How do his students treat Booker T. Washington?
7. How long are Booker and his second wife married?
8. What hardships are experienced when Booker, his staff, and his students launch a boarding program effort at Tuskegee?
9. What burden does Booker feel he carries as his speaking engagements increase?
10. How does a mill owner help out Booker's Tuskegee school?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)