|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Booker goes to the smoking car of a train after dining with two women, what happens?
(a) Everyone greets him and talks to him about his work.
(b) He is greeted politely and left alone.
(c) Everyone in the smoking car walks out.
(d) He is asked to leave.
2. Who is Washington's third wife?
(a) Martha Jones Jackson.
(b) JoEllen Agnes Baker.
(c) Margaret James Murray.
(d) Elizabeth Stanton Smith.
3. Before giving his speech at the 1895 expo, Booker does what?
(c) Meets with his mentor.
(d) Walks to clear his mind.
4. Booker's trip to Europe is his first vacation in how many years?
5. As Booker prepares to speak at the expo in 1895, he feels the weight of responsibility because his audience consists of:
(a) Fellow educators.
(b) Politicians and other influential policy makers.
(c) Wealthy potential donors.
(d) Northerners, Southerners, blacks, and whites.
Short Answer Questions
1. Worrying over his students, Booker often loses:
2. What do donors and supporters of Tuskegee thank Washington for?
3. What happens to Booker's second wife?
4. In "Raising Money," after his meeting with a man whom he expected would donate to his school, how does Booker feel?
5. Why does Booker have his students build the Tuskegee Institute's buildings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Washington says he feels responsible for the success of Tuskegee Institute.
2. When he's not working, what does Booker enjoy doing?
3. Booker demands cleanliness from his students. What one item does he insist everyone have?
4. Why does Booker feel it was worth his time to travel two thousand miles just to deliver a five-minute speech?
5. Why do Booker and his students launch an effort to make bricks?
6. What does Booker say about approaching the very wealthy for support for his school?
7. Describe the attempt by Booker and his students to build a kiln for baking bricks.
8. What are some of the things that Booker says about his personal experience with public speaking?
9. How do his students treat Booker T. Washington?
10. Describe Booker's disappointment in how the people of Tuskegee regard Christmas and what he decides to do to improve the situation.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)