|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Booker speaks of the Christmas season, what is his complaint?
(a) Stores sell too many unnecessary items.
(b) Churches must shorten their Christmas services.
(c) People give each other useless trinkets.
(d) People have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas.
2. During his speech at the Atlanta Exposition, Washington says people need to work together to pull the South up, or else:
(a) Bury their heads in the sand like an ostrich.
(b) Watch in despair as the nation crumbles.
(c) Give up and walk away.
(d) Allow others to pull against progress.
3. Booker says that officials and leaders who visit the Tuskegee Institute are what?
(a) Appalled by conditions.
(b) Ready to help in every way possible.
(c) Impressed by its progress.
(d) Anxious to see results.
4. What does Booker say happens when a student defaces property at the Tuskegee school?
(a) Teachers lower the student's grade.
(b) Another student chastises the action.
(c) The student must repair or pay for the damages.
(d) The student is expelled for a week.
5. What are the names of Booker's two sons?
(a) Elias and Jacob.
(b) Booker and Ernest.
(c) Lewis and Edison.
(d) Jonathan and Edward.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Booker is schedule to speak in Boston, he's also invited to speak where?
2. What does Booker receive following his Atlanta Exposition speech?
3. According to Washington, what group makes the best audience?
4. When Miss Davidson travels to ask for financial support for the Tuskegee Institute, she meets two Northern ladies who agree to donate:
5. What happens to Booker's second wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Rev. Robert C. Bedford?
2. Explain why Washington says he feels responsible for the success of Tuskegee Institute.
3. What important lesson does Booker T. Washington say he learns from General Armstrong?
4. How is Booker's speech at the Atlanta Exposition received?
5. What happens after Booker walks two miles to a man's house to request a donation for his school?
6. Describe Booker's experience on a train ride where he dines in the white section.
7. Describe Booker's third wife.
8. Why does Booker go to Europe?
9. Describe the attempt by Booker and his students to build a kiln for baking bricks.
10. Why does Booker feel it was worth his time to travel two thousand miles just to deliver a five-minute speech?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)