|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Booker turn down offers from publishers and speech circuits?
(a) He does not trust their intentions.
(b) They do not offer enough payment.
(c) He'd rather spend time researching better education methods.
(d) To continue his work at Tuskegee.
2. What do Booker and his students discover when they first try to make bricks?
(a) It's not easy.
(b) They don't have the right materials.
(c) It's terribly time-consuming and boring.
(d) It's easier than it looks.
3. Before giving his speech at the 1895 expo, Booker does what?
(a) Meets with his mentor.
(d) Walks to clear his mind.
4. Booker states that efforts to foster community support for his Tuskegee school are:
(b) Taking up too much of his time.
(c) Met with resistance.
5. Regarding the people that Booker approaches to support Tuskegee Institute, he notes that:
(a) Most consider him to be doing "our work."
(b) Few actually offer funds.
(c) Most try to find a polite way to get out of helping.
(d) Most are uninterested.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Raising Money," although Washington's meeting with a potential donor for his school doesn't go quite as expected, what happens years later?
2. Who is Robert C. Bedford?
3. What does Booker T. Washington say that General Armstrong teaches him about racial prejudice?
4. In the chapter "Raising Money," Booker relates the story of being told about a man who might be interested in donating to his school. How does Booker reach the man?
5. Who does Booker visit with while traveling in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. During his speech to a large audience at the Atlanta Exposition, what does Booker focus on?
2. What does Booker say about approaching the very wealthy for support for his school?
3. Why does Booker go to Europe?
4. Give examples of how different people support Tuskegee Institute.
5. What burden does Booker feel he carries as his speaking engagements increase?
6. Describe Booker's third wife.
7. When asking potential donors for money for a particular building, what other information does Booker share with them?
8. What are some of the things that Booker says about his personal experience with public speaking?
9. Why do Booker and his students launch an effort to make bricks?
10. When he's not working, what does Booker enjoy doing?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)