|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When asking for funds for his school from the wealthy, Booker notes that it's best to:
(a) Present facts about the school and not appear to beg.
(b) Compliment the donors profusely.
(c) Speak loudly and quickly to generate excitement.
(d) Try to make the donors feel guilty.
2. Before giving his speech at the 1895 expo, Booker does what?
(c) Meets with his mentor.
(d) Walks to clear his mind.
3. In "Raising Money," after his meeting with a man whom he expected would donate to his school, how does Booker feel?
(a) Very grateful.
(b) As though he wasted his time.
(c) Angry but not defeated.
4. During his travels, what does Booker like to do on the train rides?
(a) Rehearse his speeches.
(b) Meet new people.
(c) Read and relax.
5. Does General Armstrong teach at Tuskegee?
(a) Yes, full-time.
(b) Yes, part-time.
(c) No, he's at Hampton.
(d) No, but he heads a building project.
Short Answer Questions
1. Worrying over his students, Booker often loses:
2. What do donors and supporters of Tuskegee thank Washington for?
3. Booker says that officials and leaders who visit the Tuskegee Institute are what?
4. What moment does Booker say he enjoys the most when giving a speech?
5. According to Washington, what group makes the best audience?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Booker's disappointment in how the people of Tuskegee regard Christmas and what he decides to do to improve the situation.
2. What happens after Booker walks two miles to a man's house to request a donation for his school?
3. Explain why Washington says he feels responsible for the success of Tuskegee Institute.
4. What are some of the things that Booker says about his personal experience with public speaking?
5. During his speech to a large audience at the Atlanta Exposition, what does Booker focus on?
6. How is Booker's speech at the Atlanta Exposition received?
7. Describe Booker's experience on a train ride where he dines in the white section.
8. How long are Booker and his second wife married?
9. Why does Booker feel it was worth his time to travel two thousand miles just to deliver a five-minute speech?
10. How do his students treat Booker T. Washington?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)