|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Tuskegee students treat Booker T. Washington?
(a) As a fellow friend and colleague.
(b) With reservation, afraid to approach the school's director.
(c) With contempt because they feel he's too demanding.
(d) With respect, helping him in many ways including carrying his books.
2. Booker points out that those who can't offer his Tuskegee school monetary donations instead offer:
(b) Home-cooked meals.
(c) Their time.
(d) Family heirlooms.
3. What do Booker and his students discover when they first try to make bricks?
(a) It's terribly time-consuming and boring.
(b) It's easier than it looks.
(c) They don't have the right materials.
(d) It's not easy.
4. When Miss Davidson travels to ask for financial support for the Tuskegee Institute, she meets two Northern ladies who agree to donate:
(a) Twenty cents of every dollar they earn.
(b) Six thousand dollars a year.
(c) Half of their inheritance.
(d) Four hundred dollars a month.
5. Booker is invited to serve on what kind of board?
(a) A teacher's rights board.
(b) An equal rights board.
(c) An educational juror's board.
(d) An educational advancement board.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his chapter on public speaking, the author expresses that before a speech, he:
2. What happens when Booker and his students try to construct a kiln for baking bricks?
3. Who becomes Tuskegee Institute's treasurer and substitute principal?
4. Booker remarks that too many people use the Christmas season as:
5. Why does Booker turn down offers from publishers and speech circuits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Booker's disappointment in how the people of Tuskegee regard Christmas and what he decides to do to improve the situation.
2. Why does Booker go to Europe?
3. What important lesson does Booker T. Washington say he learns from General Armstrong?
4. Booker demands cleanliness from his students. What one item does he insist everyone have?
5. What are some of the things that Booker says about his personal experience with public speaking?
6. Describe Booker's experience on a train ride where he dines in the white section.
7. How is Booker's speech at the Atlanta Exposition received?
8. What happens after Booker walks two miles to a man's house to request a donation for his school?
9. How long are Booker and his second wife married?
10. Describe Booker's third wife.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)