|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After dining with two women in a train's dining section, Booker goes to the smoking car where he expects:
(a) To catch up on reading.
(b) To be berated by the men.
(c) To be asked to leave.
(d) To meet up with a friend.
2. What does General Armstrong loan to the Tuskegee Institute?
(a) His maps and globes.
(b) His guesthouse.
(c) His personal savings.
(d) His book collection.
3. Teachers at Tuskegee are largely recruited from where?
4. According to Washington, what group makes the best audience?
5. When money is raised for Booker and his wife to travel to Europe, the author feels what?
(a) Thankful because his wife deserves a break.
(b) Excited about seeing Europe.
(c) Relieved that he finally gets a vacation.
(d) Guilty at vacationing while others work.
Short Answer Questions
1. With a working kiln, Booker and his students make bricks for their school and for what other purpose?
2. After traveling two thousand miles to give his five-minute speech, what does Booker do?
3. How does a mill owner help the Tuskegee Institute?
4. How does Robert Bedford become involved with Tuskegee Institute?
5. What does Booker T. Washington say that General Armstrong teaches him about racial prejudice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important lesson does Booker T. Washington say he learns from General Armstrong?
2. Describe Booker's experience on a train ride where he dines in the white section.
3. Give examples of how different people support Tuskegee Institute.
4. Explain why Washington says he feels responsible for the success of Tuskegee Institute.
5. Who are Booker T. Washington's sons?
6. What happens after Booker walks two miles to a man's house to request a donation for his school?
7. What does Booker say about approaching the very wealthy for support for his school?
8. How is Booker's speech at the Atlanta Exposition received?
9. How long are Booker and his second wife married?
10. What hardships are experienced when Booker, his staff, and his students launch a boarding program effort at Tuskegee?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)