|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the blacks at Hampton agree to room with Indians?
(a) To protect the Indians from the outside world.
(b) To help the Indians learn English and societal norms.
(c) To express their gratitude for the work the Indians are doing at the school.
(d) So that both groups can learn new concepts from each other.
2. What does Booker purchase to help his students learn more about working with their hands?
(a) The remains of a plantation.
(b) An acre of forest land.
(c) A defunct restaurant.
(d) A dilapidated barn.
3. The "T" in Booker T. Washington stands for:
4. When Booker travels with a young Indian boy who is ill, how are they treated by outsiders?
(a) The boy is accepted into establishments that Booker is not allowed to enter.
(b) They are welcomed by everyone they seek help from.
(c) Booker is accepted into establishments that the boy is not allowed to enter.
(d) They are rejected by everyone they seek help from.
5. Booker's class at Tuskegee quickly grows to how many students?
(d) One hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Booker first starts school, why is he not able to attend full time?
2. The author completes his studies at Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute:
3. What do the Hampton night school students earn money for?
4. After his first year at Hampton, where does Booker work during the summer?
5. Who dies at the end of Booker's second year at Hampton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mrs. Ruffner encourage Booker to get an education?
2. What does Booker do after completing his studies with honors?
3. How do the blacks and the Indians get along at Hampton?
4. What does Booker T. Washington know about his birth?
5. How does Booker describe the residents of Tuskegee?
6. Describe Mrs. Ruffner and the work Booker does for her.
7. What does Booker mean when he says that the people of Tuskegee are prone to some excess?
8. Describe the position that General Armstrong offers Booker Washington at Hampton.
9. What jobs does Booker have as a child in Malden?
10. Describe Booker's experience of traveling with an Indian boy who is ill.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)