|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Booker remark regarding the acceptance of Indians by the blacks at Hampton?
(a) He wonders if another race would have been as welcoming.
(b) He feels there was more tension than there should have been.
(c) He states that the acceptance is perfectly natural and normal.
(d) He says that any other group would have done the same.
2. What is the first number that Booker says he learns?
3. What do the Hampton night school students do during the day?
(b) Learn how to cook.
(c) Tutor other students.
(d) Take care of their families.
4. In order to repay debts Booker's school has accumulated, his co-teacher holds what type of fundraisers?
(a) Bake sales.
(b) Reading marathons.
(c) Rummage sales.
5. Shortly after acquiring their freedom, where does the author's family move to?
(a) Malden, West Virginia.
(b) Elkins, West Virginia.
(c) Mather, Pennsylvania.
(d) Uniontown, Pennsylvania.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins Booker as co-teacher at his school in Tuskegee?
2. While working for Mrs. Ruffner, Booker soon learns that she demands:
3. What does Booker quickly discover about the Indians at Hampton?
4. The "T" in Booker T. Washington stands for:
5. What does Booker say about his job working in coalmines?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mrs. Ruffner encourage Booker to get an education?
2. What does Booker say about those who become teachers and preachers?
3. What does young Booker do on the plantation as a slave?
4. What challenges does Booker encounter along his journey to Hampton?
5. What does Booker do after completing his studies with honors?
6. What does Booker say that many blacks aspire to during the post-Civil War "Reconstruction Period?"
7. Describe the position that General Armstrong offers Booker Washington at Hampton.
8. Who is Olivia A. Davidson?
9. What is "The Plucky Class?"
10. What important lesson does Booker learn working with Miss Mackie, whom he describes as a member of a cultured Northern family?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)