|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Booker observe about individuals educated in more affluent schools where the majority of their needs are met?
(a) They get a better education.
(b) They are mentally capable but emotionally helpless.
(c) They are less prepared to deal with life outside of school.
(d) They tend to become spoiled and rude.
2. What is Booker's brother's name?
3. Where does Booker go at the end of his second year at Hampton?
(a) To work for the railroads in Norfolk.
(b) Back to the job he had the previous summer.
(c) Home to see his family.
(d) Virginia Beach for fun and relaxation.
4. Booker feels that some individuals were not served well enough by their education and that, in the end, their desires increased but:
(a) Their ability to meet these desires did not increase.
(b) Their willingness to work for what they desired was lacking.
(c) Their living conditions deteriorated.
(d) Their dreams were shattered.
5. Shortly after acquiring their freedom, where does the author's family move to?
(a) Uniontown, Pennsylvania.
(b) Malden, West Virginia.
(c) Mather, Pennsylvania.
(d) Elkins, West Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the plantation kitchen usually removed from the rest of the house?
2. What do the Hampton night school students do during the day?
3. While working for Mrs. Ruffner, Booker soon learns that she demands:
4. When the Emancipation Proclamation is read to slaves, freeing them immediately, what does Booker say they consider after their initial celebration?
5. What does the author say that all of the newly freed, former slaves want?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "The Plucky Class?"
2. What does Booker do after completing his studies with honors?
3. How do the blacks and the Indians get along at Hampton?
4. Why does Booker purchase an old plantation for the Tuskegee Institute?
5. Describe Booker's experiences as a young man working at restaurants.
6. What two things does Washington say every former slave who is newly freed wants?
7. Describe the position that General Armstrong offers Booker Washington at Hampton.
8. Does Mrs. Ruffner encourage Booker to get an education?
9. What important lesson does Booker learn working with Miss Mackie, whom he describes as a member of a cultured Northern family?
10. What does Booker do at the end of his first year at Hampton?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)