|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Booker note that the people of Tuskegee want from him?
(a) To be a voice for them as he travels from one community to the next.
(b) To have him involved in their local politics.
(c) That he create flexible schedules so the students can work and study.
(d) That he teach their children well so they can get out of poverty.
2. Booker feels that some individuals were not served well enough by their education and that, in the end, their desires increased but:
(a) Their willingness to work for what they desired was lacking.
(b) Their living conditions deteriorated.
(c) Their dreams were shattered.
(d) Their ability to meet these desires did not increase.
3. What did Lewis Adams learn while still in slavery?
(a) Working with precious metals and semi-precious stones.
(b) Reading, writing, dairy farming, cooking, and blacksmithing.
(c) Reading, writing, shoemaking, harness making, and tinsmithing.
(d) Working with leather and metals.
4. To help Booker while he's studying at Hampton, who sends him small amounts of money whenever possible?
(a) His brother John.
(b) His previous employer, Mrs. Ruffner.
(c) His previous teachers.
(d) His mother and stepfather.
5. Booker comments that his students at Tuskegee are anxious to learn:
(a) Whatever he hands them.
(b) Only practical subjects.
(c) Only the subjects that they find interesting.
(d) Math, especially calculus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Booker T. Washington spends his early years, from his birth until the end of the Civil War, as:
2. What does the author say that all of the newly freed, former slaves want?
3. Where does Booker go at the end of his second year at Hampton?
4. Why do the blacks at Hampton agree to room with Indians?
5. By saving enough money, who does Booker help send to Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Booker say about those who become teachers and preachers?
2. Upon obtaining their freedom, where do Booker and his family go?
3. What does Booker do at the end of his first year at Hampton?
4. Describe the position that General Armstrong offers Booker Washington at Hampton.
5. What is the Tuskegee Institute like in its earliest days?
6. Who works closely with Booker to establish the new school in Tuskegee?
7. How do blacks react upon being read the Emancipation Proclamation?
8. What does Booker say that many blacks aspire to during the post-Civil War "Reconstruction Period?"
9. What jobs does Booker have as a child in Malden?
10. What does Booker do after completing his studies with honors?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)