|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to repay debts Booker's school has accumulated, his co-teacher holds what type of fundraisers?
(a) Bake sales.
(b) Reading marathons.
(c) Rummage sales.
2. What do students learn to do on the property that Booker purchases for his school?
(a) Cut down trees and build cabins.
(b) Refurbish the building and tend to farm animals.
(c) Restore the building, then prepare and serve food.
(d) Clean the buildings and plant crops.
3. When Booker wants a cap in order to fit in at his school, what does his mother do?
(a) Tells him to get a second job so he can afford to buy a cap.
(b) Makes him a cap out of scrap denim.
(c) Buys less food to save money for a cap.
(d) Sells her ring to buy him a cap.
4. When Booker is hired as a waiter at a classy restaurant, who chastises him, and why?
(a) The proprietor, for dropping a tray.
(b) The men he's waiting on, for doing a poor job.
(c) The host, for getting in the way of other waiters.
(d) The cook, for getting the order wrong.
5. Booker states that the vast majority of blacks at Hampton are more than willing to:
(a) Learn and practice the traditions of the Indians.
(b) Work three jobs while studying.
(c) Accept the Indians into their school.
(d) Spend less than six hours sleeping in order to have more study time.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Hampton, the blacks and the Indians:
2. During a fight between blacks and whites, what happens to Mr. Ruffner, the white salt mines owner, when he stands up for the blacks?
3. While working for Mrs. Ruffner, Booker soon learns that she demands:
4. As he travels to Hampton, the author arrives in Richmond, Virginia, flat broke and spends the night where?
5. To start with, how many students does Booker have at his school in Tuskegee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the attempt by Booker and his students to build a kiln for baking bricks.
2. What is the Tuskegee Institute like in its earliest days?
3. Describe Booker's early childhood family and home.
4. What is "The Plucky Class?"
5. What important lesson does Booker T. Washington say he learns from General Armstrong?
6. Why does Booker go to Europe?
7. What does Booker T. Washington know about his birth?
8. Describe the position that General Armstrong offers Booker Washington at Hampton.
9. How do the blacks and the Indians get along at Hampton?
10. Describe Booker's first group of students at Tuskegee.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)