|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say he learns about manual labor from Miss Mackie?
(a) Shortcuts for doing the job faster.
(b) It's better to pay someone else to do it.
(c) It has its rewards and is nothing to be ashamed of.
(d) It should be done quietly and discreetly.
2. Where does Booker go at the end of his second year at Hampton?
(a) To work for the railroads in Norfolk.
(b) Home to see his family.
(c) Virginia Beach for fun and relaxation.
(d) Back to the job he had the previous summer.
3. When the country families of Tuskegee go to town on Saturdays, what do they do there?
(a) Shop for supplies.
(b) Attend meetings.
(c) Attend plays.
(d) Sell vegetables.
4. In June of 1881, Booker is hired to oversee what kind of school in Tuskegee?
(a) A "one-room school," where different grade levels are taught in one class.
(b) A boarding school for pre-med students.
(c) A religious school for seminary students.
(d) A "normal school," which is a school that trains teachers.
5. What job does Booker take to pay for his room and board at Hampton?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Booker comment about the schools in Tuskegee?
2. Booker feels that some individuals were not served well enough by their education and that, in the end, their desires increased but:
3. What do the Hampton night school students earn money for?
4. In order to repay debts Booker's school has accumulated, his co-teacher holds what type of fundraisers?
5. Who dies at the end of Booker's second year at Hampton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does young Booker do on the plantation as a slave?
2. Describe Booker's experience of traveling with an Indian boy who is ill.
3. What is "The Plucky Class?"
4. Upon obtaining their freedom, where do Booker and his family go?
5. According to Booker, how might blacks suddenly faced with freedom have been better served?
6. What does Booker say about those who become teachers and preachers?
7. Booker decides it's time for him to go to Hampton. What is Hampton?
8. Describe Booker's first group of students at Tuskegee.
9. Explain why Booker feels that many students come out of school with an education but without the ability to make a living.
10. Why does Booker purchase an old plantation for the Tuskegee Institute?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)