|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the author writes about the condition of the school he oversees in Tuskegee, what does he say about an umbrella?
(a) There is only one umbrella available to the class, and students take turns using it.
(b) On rainy days, a student holds an umbrella over Booker's head because the classroom leaks.
(c) When Booker's umbrella tears in a violent storm, there are no funds available for a replacement, so he patches it up.
(d) On "Teacher Appreciation Day," the students collect just enough money to buy Booker a gift of an umbrella.
2. As he travels to Hampton, the author arrives in Richmond, Virginia, flat broke and spends the night where?
(a) In a church.
(b) In a barn.
(c) Under a drawbridge.
(d) Under a boardwalk.
3. Booker states that the vast majority of blacks at Hampton are more than willing to:
(a) Learn and practice the traditions of the Indians.
(b) Spend less than six hours sleeping in order to have more study time.
(c) Accept the Indians into their school.
(d) Work three jobs while studying.
4. What do Booker and his co-teacher at Tuskegee agree they need to add to their curriculum?
5. What does Booker remark regarding the acceptance of Indians by the blacks at Hampton?
(a) He states that the acceptance is perfectly natural and normal.
(b) He feels there was more tension than there should have been.
(c) He wonders if another race would have been as welcoming.
(d) He says that any other group would have done the same.
Short Answer Questions
1. To start with, how many students does Booker have at his school in Tuskegee?
2. As a child, Booker lives in a cabin that also serves as:
3. Booker states that in addition to receiving book knowledge in school, former slaves should be taught:
4. What is a typical week for farming families in Tuskegee?
5. What does Booker note that the people of Tuskegee want from him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Booker T. Washington end up overseeing a new school in Tuskegee, Alabama?
2. Why does Booker purchase an old plantation for the Tuskegee Institute?
3. What challenges does Booker encounter along his journey to Hampton?
4. What does Booker say that many blacks aspire to during the post-Civil War "Reconstruction Period?"
5. What two things does Washington say every former slave who is newly freed wants?
6. What is the Tuskegee Institute like in its earliest days?
7. How do Booker and his family reach their new home after they are freed?
8. What does young Booker do on the plantation as a slave?
9. How does Booker describe the residents of Tuskegee?
10. What does Booker T. Washington know about his birth?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)