|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his journey to Hampton, Booker runs out of money for public transportation. How does he continue his journey?
(a) Walking and hitching rides.
(b) Borrowing a bicycle, which he later returns.
(c) Hopping onto a freight train.
(d) Hiding in a hay wagon.
2. Booker feels that the people of Tuskegee should be using part of their land for what?
(a) Growing vegetables.
(b) Raising chickens and geese.
(c) Planting trees.
(d) Raising dairy cows.
3. The author tells the story of finding a ten-dollar bill while working at a restaurant. What happens when he shows the money to the proprietor?
(a) Two customers come forward to claim the money.
(b) The proprietor asks his customers who is missing ten dollars.
(c) The proprietor keeps it.
(d) A customer tells them it was left as a tip.
4. What is Booker's brother's name?
5. While working for Mrs. Ruffner, Booker soon learns that she demands:
(b) Extra chores above and beyond the job definition.
(c) Precision, order, and honesty.
(d) Her employees to work very hard.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he travels to Hampton, the author arrives in Richmond, Virginia, flat broke and spends the night where?
2. Booker states that the vast majority of blacks at Hampton are more than willing to:
3. When Booker travels with a young Indian boy who is ill, how are they treated by outsiders?
4. As a child, Booker lives in a cabin that also serves as:
5. Booker says that even as a very young child, most of his time is spent:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Booker's experience of traveling with an Indian boy who is ill.
2. What challenges does Booker encounter along his journey to Hampton?
3. Upon obtaining their freedom, where do Booker and his family go?
4. What is "The Plucky Class?"
5. Describe Booker's experiences as a young man working at restaurants.
6. What does Booker do after completing his studies with honors?
7. What is the Tuskegee Institute like in its earliest days?
8. How do blacks react upon being read the Emancipation Proclamation?
9. What jobs does Booker have as a child in Malden?
10. Describe Booker's first group of students at Tuskegee.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)