|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Booker's class at Tuskegee quickly grows to how many students?
(c) One hundred.
2. Although he is uncertain of the exact location of his birth, Booker T. Washington believes he was born near a:
(b) Post office.
(d) Train station.
3. After Booker and his family move into a small cabin with his stepfather in a salt-mining community, what do they discover about their new home?
(a) It's much nicer than what they left behind.
(b) The cabin sits alone in a secluded, wooded area.
(c) The roof has holes and there is no stove.
(d) It's as shabby as the one they lived in before.
4. What does Booker comment about the schools in Tuskegee?
(a) Most are poorly equipped and their teachers are not properly prepared.
(b) Most are well equipped but their teachers need better training.
(c) Most are well equipped and have good teachers.
(d) Most are poorly equipped but boast top-notch teachers.
5. On his journey to Hampton, Booker runs out of money for public transportation. How does he continue his journey?
(a) Hiding in a hay wagon.
(b) Hopping onto a freight train.
(c) Borrowing a bicycle, which he later returns.
(d) Walking and hitching rides.
Short Answer Questions
1. What project does Booker take over at Hampton?
2. As a young boy, one of Booker's jobs is what?
3. What does the author say that all of the newly freed, former slaves want?
4. The author notes that many people who got an inkling of education became:
5. What is a typical week for farming families in Tuskegee?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Booker describe the residents of Tuskegee?
2. What does Booker do after completing his studies with honors?
3. Describe Booker's first group of students at Tuskegee.
4. Who is Olivia A. Davidson?
5. What does Booker say about those who become teachers and preachers?
6. Upon obtaining their freedom, where do Booker and his family go?
7. Describe Booker's early childhood family and home.
8. What jobs does Booker have as a child in Malden?
9. How does Booker T. Washington end up overseeing a new school in Tuskegee, Alabama?
10. What does Booker say that many blacks aspire to during the post-Civil War "Reconstruction Period?"
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)