|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he teaches back home in Malden, what does Booker include in his curriculum for his day classes?
(a) Calculus, astronomy, and astrology.
(b) Latin, French, and Portuguese.
(c) Proper hygiene and personal care.
(d) Cooking, house cleaning, and woodworking.
2. What is the first number that Booker says he learns?
3. In the author's view, how would the freed slaves have been better served?
(a) Through the availability of work-study programs.
(b) Through trained advisors who could help with the transition.
(c) If the federal government had made plans to teach them.
(d) If the state government had created a job-finding service for them.
4. What does Booker note that the people of Tuskegee want from him?
(a) To have him involved in their local politics.
(b) That he create flexible schedules so the students can work and study.
(c) To be a voice for them as he travels from one community to the next.
(d) That he teach their children well so they can get out of poverty.
5. What does Booker remark regarding the acceptance of Indians by the blacks at Hampton?
(a) He states that the acceptance is perfectly natural and normal.
(b) He feels there was more tension than there should have been.
(c) He wonders if another race would have been as welcoming.
(d) He says that any other group would have done the same.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his journey to Hampton, Booker runs out of money for public transportation. How does he continue his journey?
2. In "The Reconstruction Period" chapter, what does the author conclude about many teachers and preachers, as well as some politicians?
3. The author tells the story of finding a ten-dollar bill while working at a restaurant. What happens when he shows the money to the proprietor?
4. The author notes that many people who got an inkling of education became:
5. As a young boy, one of Booker's jobs is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things does Washington say every former slave who is newly freed wants?
2. What challenges does Booker encounter along his journey to Hampton?
3. What does young Booker do on the plantation as a slave?
4. Who is Olivia A. Davidson?
5. Describe Booker's first group of students at Tuskegee.
6. How do the blacks and the Indians get along at Hampton?
7. According to Booker, how might blacks suddenly faced with freedom have been better served?
8. What jobs does Booker have as a child in Malden?
9. What does Booker say that many blacks aspire to during the post-Civil War "Reconstruction Period?"
10. Describe Booker's early childhood family and home.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)