|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lewis Adams learn while still in slavery?
(a) Working with precious metals and semi-precious stones.
(b) Reading, writing, shoemaking, harness making, and tinsmithing.
(c) Reading, writing, dairy farming, cooking, and blacksmithing.
(d) Working with leather and metals.
2. While Booker T. Washington is still teaching at Malden, who contacts him regarding a position at Hampton?
(a) Colonel Ruffner.
(b) Miss Mackie.
(c) Mrs. Ruffner.
(d) General Armstrong.
3. Booker states that the vast majority of blacks at Hampton are more than willing to:
(a) Work three jobs while studying.
(b) Spend less than six hours sleeping in order to have more study time.
(c) Accept the Indians into their school.
(d) Learn and practice the traditions of the Indians.
4. Although he is uncertain of the exact location of his birth, Booker T. Washington believes he was born near a:
(a) Post office.
(c) Train station.
5. After Booker and his family move into a small cabin with his stepfather in a salt-mining community, what do they discover about their new home?
(a) It's much nicer than what they left behind.
(b) It's as shabby as the one they lived in before.
(c) The roof has holes and there is no stove.
(d) The cabin sits alone in a secluded, wooded area.
Short Answer Questions
1. During a fight between blacks and whites, what happens to Mr. Ruffner, the white salt mines owner, when he stands up for the blacks?
2. After completing his studies and returning to Malden, Booker is hired to work as a teacher. His workdays start at 8:00 AM and don't end until what time?
3. Booker says that even as a very young child, most of his time is spent:
4. Why do young Booker and his family live in the plantation's kitchen?
5. Where does Booker go at the end of his second year at Hampton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Booker purchase an old plantation for the Tuskegee Institute?
2. How do blacks react upon being read the Emancipation Proclamation?
3. What jobs does Booker have as a child in Malden?
4. What does Booker do at the end of his first year at Hampton?
5. Booker decides it's time for him to go to Hampton. What is Hampton?
6. According to Booker, how might blacks suddenly faced with freedom have been better served?
7. How do Booker and his family reach their new home after they are freed?
8. Who works closely with Booker to establish the new school in Tuskegee?
9. What two things does Washington say every former slave who is newly freed wants?
10. What does Booker mean when he says that the people of Tuskegee are prone to some excess?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)