|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Booker's class at Tuskegee quickly grows to how many students?
(b) One hundred.
2. What job does Booker take to pay for his room and board at Hampton?
3. Booker states that many former slaves wanted to:
(a) Hold public office.
(b) Move to another country.
(c) Move to New York.
(d) Become attorneys.
4. How does Booker T. Washington get his last name?
(a) It belonged to his great-grandfather.
(b) The county clerk selects it and writes it on his birth certificate.
(c) His father gives it to him.
(d) He selects it when he starts school.
5. Where does Booker go at the end of his second year at Hampton?
(a) Back to the job he had the previous summer.
(b) Virginia Beach for fun and relaxation.
(c) Home to see his family.
(d) To work for the railroads in Norfolk.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Booker and his family move into a small cabin with his stepfather in a salt-mining community, what do they discover about their new home?
2. While living with his stepfather, young Booker works:
3. What do most of the farmers in Tuskegee grow?
4. As he travels to Hampton, the author arrives in Richmond, Virginia, flat broke and spends the night where?
5. What does Booker quickly discover about the Indians at Hampton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Booker's experience of traveling with an Indian boy who is ill.
2. Who is Olivia A. Davidson?
3. Describe Booker's experiences as a young man working at restaurants.
4. Who works closely with Booker to establish the new school in Tuskegee?
5. Describe Mrs. Ruffner and the work Booker does for her.
6. What does Booker say about those who become teachers and preachers?
7. Describe the position that General Armstrong offers Booker Washington at Hampton.
8. What two things does Washington say every former slave who is newly freed wants?
9. What does Booker T. Washington know about his birth?
10. What does Booker say that many blacks aspire to during the post-Civil War "Reconstruction Period?"
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)