|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Booker comment about the schools in Tuskegee?
(a) Most are well equipped and have good teachers.
(b) Most are poorly equipped and their teachers are not properly prepared.
(c) Most are poorly equipped but boast top-notch teachers.
(d) Most are well equipped but their teachers need better training.
2. Booker comments that his students at Tuskegee are anxious to learn:
(a) Only the subjects that they find interesting.
(b) Only practical subjects.
(c) Whatever he hands them.
(d) Math, especially calculus.
3. What does Booker quickly discover about the Indians at Hampton?
(a) They feel more comfortable in outdoor settings.
(b) They are eager to learn and seek ways to make his life more comfortable.
(c) They are eager to share their traditions, stories, and languages with others.
(d) They choose to speak only their tribal languages.
4. When the author writes about the condition of the school he oversees in Tuskegee, what does he say about an umbrella?
(a) When Booker's umbrella tears in a violent storm, there are no funds available for a replacement, so he patches it up.
(b) On "Teacher Appreciation Day," the students collect just enough money to buy Booker a gift of an umbrella.
(c) There is only one umbrella available to the class, and students take turns using it.
(d) On rainy days, a student holds an umbrella over Booker's head because the classroom leaks.
5. When Booker travels with a young Indian boy who is ill, how are they treated by outsiders?
(a) The boy is accepted into establishments that Booker is not allowed to enter.
(b) Booker is accepted into establishments that the boy is not allowed to enter.
(c) They are welcomed by everyone they seek help from.
(d) They are rejected by everyone they seek help from.
6. As he travels to Hampton, the author arrives in Richmond, Virginia, flat broke and spends the night where?
(a) In a barn.
(b) In a church.
(c) Under a boardwalk.
(d) Under a drawbridge.
7. During a fight between blacks and whites, what happens to Mr. Ruffner, the white salt mines owner, when he stands up for the blacks?
(a) He is offered the job of mayor.
(b) He is severely injured.
(c) He is arrested.
(d) He is cheered enthusiastically.
8. To start with, how many students does Booker have at his school in Tuskegee?
9. After his first year at Hampton, where does Booker work during the summer?
10. Booker states that in addition to receiving book knowledge in school, former slaves should be taught:
(a) Practical skills, like cooking.
(b) That doing manual labor is not shameful.
(c) How to look for and interview for a job.
(d) That they can succeed in their new circumstances.
11. In order to repay debts Booker's school has accumulated, his co-teacher holds what type of fundraisers?
(a) Reading marathons.
(c) Bake sales.
(d) Rummage sales.
12. When Booker first starts school, why is he not able to attend full time?
(a) His mother needs his help around the house.
(b) His stepfather forces him to continue working.
(c) He has to take care of the family's sheep.
(d) He cannot afford to pay the tuition.
13. All of Booker's students at Tuskegee are at least:
14. What do the Hampton night school students do during the day?
(a) Take care of their families.
(b) Tutor other students.
(c) Learn how to cook.
15. The author states that those earning seventy-five or a hundred dollars a month were:
(a) Regularly asked for monetary help by those earning less.
(b) Often in debt by the end of the month.
(c) Expected to pay higher taxes.
(d) Considered wealthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the plantation kitchen usually removed from the rest of the house?
2. On his journey to Hampton, Booker runs out of money for public transportation. How does he continue his journey?
3. What do the Hampton night school students earn money for?
4. After completing his studies and returning to Malden, Booker is hired to work as a teacher. His workdays start at 8:00 AM and don't end until what time?
5. What is Booker's brother's name?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)