|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although he is uncertain of the exact location of his birth, Booker T. Washington believes he was born near a:
(a) Train station.
(d) Post office.
2. As a young boy, one of Booker's jobs is what?
(a) Painting fences.
(b) Taking wheat to the silo.
(c) Carrying corn to the mill.
(d) None of these is correct.
3. What does Booker quickly discover about the Indians at Hampton?
(a) They are eager to learn and seek ways to make his life more comfortable.
(b) They choose to speak only their tribal languages.
(c) They feel more comfortable in outdoor settings.
(d) They are eager to share their traditions, stories, and languages with others.
4. Who joins Booker as co-teacher at his school in Tuskegee?
(a) George W. Campbell.
(b) Olivia A. Davidson.
(c) Lewis Adams.
(d) Ruthie Smith.
5. What does Booker comment about the schools in Tuskegee?
(a) Most are poorly equipped and their teachers are not properly prepared.
(b) Most are well equipped but their teachers need better training.
(c) Most are poorly equipped but boast top-notch teachers.
(d) Most are well equipped and have good teachers.
6. Booker's class at Tuskegee quickly grows to how many students?
(a) One hundred.
7. Booker feels that some individuals were not served well enough by their education and that, in the end, their desires increased but:
(a) Their willingness to work for what they desired was lacking.
(b) Their dreams were shattered.
(c) Their ability to meet these desires did not increase.
(d) Their living conditions deteriorated.
8. When Booker is hired as a waiter at a classy restaurant, who chastises him, and why?
(a) The men he's waiting on, for doing a poor job.
(b) The proprietor, for dropping a tray.
(c) The host, for getting in the way of other waiters.
(d) The cook, for getting the order wrong.
9. Where does Booker go at the end of his second year at Hampton?
(a) Virginia Beach for fun and relaxation.
(b) Back to the job he had the previous summer.
(c) Home to see his family.
(d) To work for the railroads in Norfolk.
10. When Booker decides to go to Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute in Virginia, how does his community help him?
(a) Buying him a few school supplies.
(b) Giving him small donations.
(c) Writing letters of recommendation.
(d) Offering transportation.
11. What does Booker nickname the night school he teaches at Hampton?
(a) The Plucky Class.
(b) The Midnight Crowd.
(c) The Brave Scholars.
(d) The Night Owls.
12. The Reconstruction Period refers to the:
(a) Era of migration from farms to factories.
(b) Pre-Civil War era.
(c) Post-Civil War era.
(d) Railroad building era.
13. What is a typical week for farming families in Tuskegee?
(a) Working five days a week, going to town Saturdays, attending meetings Sundays.
(b) Working five days a week, attending meetings Saturdays, going to church and resting Sundays.
(c) Working six days a week, going to church and picnics Sundays.
(d) Working six days a week, going to town and meetings Sundays.
14. What does Booker say about his job working in coalmines?
(a) Everyone there is highly motivated.
(b) It's dirty and dangerous.
(c) It pays very well.
(d) It teaches him discipline.
15. The author tells the story of finding a ten-dollar bill while working at a restaurant. What happens when he shows the money to the proprietor?
(a) The proprietor keeps it.
(b) Two customers come forward to claim the money.
(c) The proprietor asks his customers who is missing ten dollars.
(d) A customer tells them it was left as a tip.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Booker wants a cap in order to fit in at his school, what does his mother do?
2. After Booker and his family move into a small cabin with his stepfather in a salt-mining community, what do they discover about their new home?
3. What agreement is made so that Booker can spend more time at school?
4. Why do young Booker and his family live in the plantation's kitchen?
5. What does the author say he learns about manual labor from Miss Mackie?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)