|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Helping Others.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By saving enough money, who does Booker help send to Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute?
(a) His adopted brother James and his cousin David.
(b) His brother John and his sister Amanda.
(c) His sister Amanda and their cousin David.
(d) His brother John and their adopted brother James.
2. Where does Booker go at the end of his second year at Hampton?
(a) To work for the railroads in Norfolk.
(b) Virginia Beach for fun and relaxation.
(c) Back to the job he had the previous summer.
(d) Home to see his family.
3. Booker T. Washington spends his early years, from his birth until the end of the Civil War, as:
(a) A slave.
(b) A refugee.
(c) An orphan.
(d) A homeless child.
4. The author tells the story of finding a ten-dollar bill while working at a restaurant. What happens when he shows the money to the proprietor?
(a) The proprietor keeps it.
(b) The proprietor asks his customers who is missing ten dollars.
(c) A customer tells them it was left as a tip.
(d) Two customers come forward to claim the money.
5. What does the author say that all of the newly freed, former slaves want?
(a) Assistance with adjusting to their new lives.
(b) Monetary compensation from former masters.
(c) To own land.
(d) To change their names.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he teaches back home in Malden, what does Booker include in his curriculum for his day classes?
2. As he travels to Hampton, the author arrives in Richmond, Virginia, flat broke and spends the night where?
3. When Booker is hired as a waiter at a classy restaurant, who chastises him, and why?
4. After his first year at Hampton, where does Booker work during the summer?
5. While working for Mrs. Ruffner, Booker soon learns that she demands:
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)