|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Reconstruction Period.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Booker first starts school, why is he not able to attend full time?
(a) He has to take care of the family's sheep.
(b) He cannot afford to pay the tuition.
(c) His mother needs his help around the house.
(d) His stepfather forces him to continue working.
2. While living with his stepfather, young Booker works:
(a) At salt furnaces.
(b) Delivering salt to merchants.
(c) Driving salt trucks.
(d) Selling salt door to door.
3. What does the author say he learns about manual labor from Miss Mackie?
(a) Shortcuts for doing the job faster.
(b) It has its rewards and is nothing to be ashamed of.
(c) It should be done quietly and discreetly.
(d) It's better to pay someone else to do it.
4. As a young boy, one of Booker's jobs is what?
(a) Painting fences.
(b) None of these is correct.
(c) Taking wheat to the silo.
(d) Carrying corn to the mill.
5. After completing his studies and returning to Malden, Booker is hired to work as a teacher. His workdays start at 8:00 AM and don't end until what time?
(a) 6:00 PM.
(b) 8:00 PM.
(c) 10:00 PM.
(d) 7:00 PM.
Short Answer Questions
1. By saving enough money, who does Booker help send to Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute?
2. Where does Booker go at the end of his second year at Hampton?
3. In the author's view, how would the freed slaves have been better served?
4. What does the author say that all of the newly freed, former slaves want?
5. Booker states that in addition to receiving book knowledge in school, former slaves should be taught:
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)