|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Reconstruction Period.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Booker T. Washington get his last name?
(a) His father gives it to him.
(b) It belonged to his great-grandfather.
(c) The county clerk selects it and writes it on his birth certificate.
(d) He selects it when he starts school.
2. Booker feels that some individuals were not served well enough by their education and that, in the end, their desires increased but:
(a) Their willingness to work for what they desired was lacking.
(b) Their living conditions deteriorated.
(c) Their dreams were shattered.
(d) Their ability to meet these desires did not increase.
3. After his first year at Hampton, where does Booker work during the summer?
4. After Booker and his family move into a small cabin with his stepfather in a salt-mining community, what do they discover about their new home?
(a) The roof has holes and there is no stove.
(b) It's as shabby as the one they lived in before.
(c) The cabin sits alone in a secluded, wooded area.
(d) It's much nicer than what they left behind.
5. When Booker finally arrives at Hampton and meets the head teacher, what does he tell her?
(a) He promises to be her best student ever.
(b) He's tired, dirty, and ragged from his long journey.
(c) He hasn't had a drink of water or any food for a day and a half.
(d) He's thrilled to be there and ready to learn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say that all of the newly freed, former slaves want?
2. What is the first number that Booker says he learns?
3. Booker T. Washington spends his early years, from his birth until the end of the Civil War, as:
4. When Booker is hired as a waiter at a classy restaurant, who chastises him, and why?
5. In "The Reconstruction Period" chapter, what does the author conclude about many teachers and preachers, as well as some politicians?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)