|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Harder Task Than Making Bricks Without Straw.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to repay debts Booker's school has accumulated, his co-teacher holds what type of fundraisers?
(a) Reading marathons.
(b) Bake sales.
(d) Rummage sales.
2. With a working kiln, Booker and his students make bricks for their school and for what other purpose?
(a) For a hurricane shelter.
(b) To build a homeless shelter.
(c) For a community center.
(d) To sell to the community.
3. After completing his studies and returning to Malden, Booker is hired to work as a teacher. His workdays start at 8:00 AM and don't end until what time?
(a) 10:00 PM.
(b) 6:00 PM.
(c) 7:00 PM.
(d) 8:00 PM.
4. What does Booker nickname the night school he teaches at Hampton?
(a) The Night Owls.
(b) The Midnight Crowd.
(c) The Plucky Class.
(d) The Brave Scholars.
5. What do students learn to do on the property that Booker purchases for his school?
(a) Clean the buildings and plant crops.
(b) Refurbish the building and tend to farm animals.
(c) Cut down trees and build cabins.
(d) Restore the building, then prepare and serve food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say he learns about manual labor from Miss Mackie?
2. What do the Hampton night school students earn money for?
3. What do Booker and his students discover when they first try to make bricks?
4. Why do the blacks at Hampton agree to room with Indians?
5. Who joins Booker as co-teacher at his school in Tuskegee?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)