A Slave Among Slaves
* Booker T. Washington believes that he was born near a post office in Franklin County, Virginia.
* He doesn't know his father but thinks he was a white man.
* Until the end of the Civil War, Booker, his mother Jane, his brother John, and his sister Amanda are slaves on a plantation.
* As a child, his name is Booker Taliaferro.
* Living in a small cabin that also serves as the plantation's kitchen, Booker spends most of his time working as a child.
* One of his childhood jobs is carrying corn to the mill for grinding.
* When the Emancipation Proclamation is read to slaves, they are freed immediately.
* The former slaves first celebrate and then wonder what they'll do with their lives and where they'll live.
* Booker notes that blacks and whites were equally unprepared for freedom.
* Upon gaining their freedom, the former slaves...
This section contains 2,042 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)