|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julie hear people whispering?
2. About what is Julie wondering?
3. What were the college guys more interested in than in Julie?
4. What does Jonathan often have to do?
5. What does Laura's former bedroom overlook?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julie feel about Alicia when she first dates her father and how does she end up feeling?
2. What event mars some of Julie's joy at success?
3. How is Julie's hobby successful and how do they celebrate? What does Uncle Haskell do?
4. How does Julie handle being hurt by what she thinks is Aunt Cordelia's rejection?
5. What does Julie's family do about Julie's sadness?
6. What does Jonathan do in the small town where Aunt Cordelia lives and what do the townspeople think?
7. How does Katy's story end?
8. What hobby does Julie take up in her senior year and who helps her?
9. Why does Uncle Haskell come yelling for Aunt Cordelia one night?
10. What does Brett do in English class and how is Julie involved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses the literary technique of irony in this chapter when presenting the sad state of Aggie's death. Ironically, only after her death does Aggie receive the tender washing and bodily care she desperately needed when she was alive.
1. With research, give an explanation of the irony about Aggie's death, including a brief definition of irony.
2. Why do you think an author would use irony in a story?
3. Describe an ironic event you've been in or have heard about.
Essay Topic 2
Eventually Danny stops dating Eden and declares his love for Julie, telling her that he has loved her ever since they were little children. Julie is in love with Danny too and finally feels secure that she has found her place in the world.
1. Do you think just loving someone can give you a "place in the world?" Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is really in love with Danny or is it just a reaction to being alone? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is easier to fall in love with someone you've known your whole life than a recently met person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Julie experiences not only Chris' departure for boarding school but also Laura's marriage to Bill.
1. What effect do you think these types of events would have on a young girl? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
2. What do you think a person can do to adjust to changes in their life? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
3. Do you think it was fair to Julie for the family to send Chris off to school? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)