|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Julie's friends think she is crazy for wanting to stay at Aunt Cordelia's house during high school?
2. Why does Haskell eventually refuse to come to Jonathan's home?
3. Why does Julie rise early one morning?
4. How can those around her tell Julie is feeling better?
5. What were Julie and Brett's little walks normally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julie tell Brett when she sees him the night of her meeting with Alicia?
2. What does Julie think about moving back in with her father?
3. What hobby does Julie take up in her senior year and who helps her?
4. How is Julie's hobby successful and how do they celebrate? What does Uncle Haskell do?
5. What event mars some of Julie's joy at success?
6. What do Danny and Julie figure out?
7. What does Julie discuss with Aunt Cordelia and what is the result?
8. What does Julie hear about her and being raised by Aunt Cordelia?
9. What does Julie think about Jonathan?
10. What does Julie's family do about Julie's sadness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The next morning, a note from Uncle Haskell has been slid under Julie's door and she is somewhat relieved, when she reads his words, "I'll say to my sad-faced little Julie: Guilt feelings will do nothing for either you or the Kilpin child. But your compassion as you grow into womanhood may well become immortality for the girl you call Aggie."
1. What do you think Uncle Haskell meant by his statement?
2. Do you think Julie, at the age she was when she received her Uncle's note could understand the full meaning of it? Why or why not?
3. How do you think Aggie's death will change Julie?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Cordelia shares some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell, and Julie feels even more gratitude for the abundance of love she has received in her life.
1. Do you think Uncle Haskell's childhood was what propelled him towards alcohol? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think some people have difficult childhoods but don't turn to drugs or alcohol?
3. Do you think Uncle Haskell's drinking was a form of slow suicide to escape memories of childhood? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Uncle Haskell tells Julie that Aunt Cordelia exhibits the same characteristics as her own mother, who preferred Haskell to Cordelia. Julie vows that if she ever has children, she will never show favoritism of the boys over the girls.
1. Do you think that boys are preferred over girls in general? Why or why not?
2. If Julie believes that her brother is preferred over herself by her Aunt Cordelia do you think this would affect her feelings towards herself, her brother and her aunt? Why or why not?
3. What do you think Julie should do to make her aunt see her as important as a boy?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)