|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Cordelia say about Julie and Uncle Haskell?
2. What does Jonathan do on many evenings?
3. What does Katy tell Jonathan?
4. What happens to Julie's feelings towards Alicia eventually?
5. What advice does Danny offer Julie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Julie's hobby successful and how do they celebrate? What does Uncle Haskell do?
2. What happens to Uncle Haskell's and Katy's relationship?
3. How does Katy respond to living in the country?
4. What does Julie tell Brett when she sees him the night of her meeting with Alicia?
5. Why is Julie happy the summer between her junior and senior year?
6. Why is Julie's friendship with her uncle important?
7. What does Julie hear about her and being raised by Aunt Cordelia?
8. What hobby does Julie take up in her senior year and who helps her?
9. What does Julie's family do about Julie's sadness?
10. How does Brett react to Julie's response to his request yet what does she agree to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author brings to closure the foreshadowing used at the incident of Katy Eltwing's panic attack at the old creek bridge earlier in the book.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement?
2. Explain why or why not you thought the incident of Katy at the bridge was important to the story.
3. Do you think the panic attack Katy had at the bridge meant she could see the future? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The next morning, a note from Uncle Haskell has been slid under Julie's door and she is somewhat relieved, when she reads his words, "I'll say to my sad-faced little Julie: Guilt feelings will do nothing for either you or the Kilpin child. But your compassion as you grow into womanhood may well become immortality for the girl you call Aggie."
1. What do you think Uncle Haskell meant by his statement?
2. Do you think Julie, at the age she was when she received her Uncle's note could understand the full meaning of it? Why or why not?
3. How do you think Aggie's death will change Julie?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses personification in this chapter, when she gives human characteristics to inanimate objects.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Write a brief description of your bedroom using personification.
3. Why do you think an author uses personification? Do you think it is an effective method of description?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)