|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the family feel about Julie's success as a writer?
2. What does Julie hear people whispering?
3. With whom does Julie begin spending more time?
4. What does Aunt Cordelia say about Julie and Uncle Haskell?
5. What coincides with Julie's last year of elementary school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Uncle Haskell's and Katy's relationship?
2. What does Julie's last year in elementary school mark in Aunt Cordelia's life?
3. What does Julie's family do about Julie's sadness?
4. How does Julie's luck with boys change in her junior year and how does her family feel about it?
5. What does Julie tell Brett when she sees him the night of her meeting with Alicia?
6. What does Jonathan do in the small town where Aunt Cordelia lives and what do the townspeople think?
7. What does Julie hear about her and being raised by Aunt Cordelia?
8. How does Julie handle being hurt by what she thinks is Aunt Cordelia's rejection?
9. What hobby does Julie take up in her senior year and who helps her?
10. Why is Julie's friendship with her uncle important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Cordelia shares some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell, and Julie feels even more gratitude for the abundance of love she has received in her life.
1. Do you think Uncle Haskell's childhood was what propelled him towards alcohol? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think some people have difficult childhoods but don't turn to drugs or alcohol?
3. Do you think Uncle Haskell's drinking was a form of slow suicide to escape memories of childhood? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Julie tells Brett about the meeting she had had with Alicia and tells Brett that she cannot help him with his homework any longer. Brett's temper explodes at this denial, and rising to go, he tries to coerce Julie to walk with him in the woods.
1. Discuss, with examples, why you think Brett was angry at Julie's refusal.
2. Do you think Brett had a good reason for getting angry? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brett might be dating Julie only for getting help with his homework? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Before the end of the summer, Julie and Chris stumble onto Uncle Haskell's activities involving his golf bag. Following Uncle Haskell into the woods one night, Julie and Chris watch Uncle Haskell retrieve a spade from his bag. Thinking that Uncle Haskell is probably burying all sorts of dead creatures in the woods, Julie and Chris unearth some of the little graves the next day only to discover empty whiskey bottles.
1. Why do you think Uncle Haskell buries his empty whiskey bottles? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
2. After researching intervention with alcoholics explain why you think the family should or shouldn't do one on Uncle Haskell.
3. Do you think it was wrong of Chris and Julie to follow their Uncle Haskell? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)