|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Chris been before the summer?
2. What is Haskell doing for Cordelia?
3. Why does Julie rise early one morning?
4. What does Julie assume Aunt Cordelia feels?
5. Where is one of Julie's stories published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Julie happy the summer between her junior and senior year?
2. How does Brett react to Julie's response to his request yet what does she agree to do?
3. How does Julie feel about Alicia when she first dates her father and how does she end up feeling?
4. How does Julie's luck with boys change in her junior year and how does her family feel about it?
5. What does Julie tell Brett when she sees him the night of her meeting with Alicia?
6. What does Julie hear about her and being raised by Aunt Cordelia?
7. What hobby does Julie take up in her senior year and who helps her?
8. What does Jonathan do in the small town where Aunt Cordelia lives and what do the townspeople think?
9. What does Carlotta think of Julie's decision to live with Aunt Cordelia through high school?
10. What does Brett do in English class and how is Julie involved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julie hesitantly approves of the changes Alicia has made to the house but is appalled to discover that Alicia has converted Laura's old bedroom into an office. Alicia had no way of knowing that Julie coveted that room.
1. Do you think Alicia should have talked with Julie before making changes to the house? Why or why not?
2. Change is always difficult and Julie has had many changes in her young life. Discuss how you see the changes affecting her as a person. Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Julie tells Brett about the meeting she had had with Alicia and tells Brett that she cannot help him with his homework any longer. Brett's temper explodes at this denial, and rising to go, he tries to coerce Julie to walk with him in the woods.
1. Discuss, with examples, why you think Brett was angry at Julie's refusal.
2. Do you think Brett had a good reason for getting angry? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brett might be dating Julie only for getting help with his homework? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The symbolism of the book's title becomes clear by the end of the story in that Julie learns that she has learned many lessons but has many more to learn along the road of her life.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss when you think a person finishes learning in life and why you think it. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think many people say that life is a road one walks? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)