|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Haskell take time to do?
2. What happens in the Spring?
3. Why does Uncle Haskell need a diversion?
4. What does Julie hear people whispering?
5. How does Julie respond to Uncle Haskell's situation?
Essay Topic 1
Eventually Danny stops dating Eden and declares his love for Julie, telling her that he has loved her ever since they were little children. Julie is in love with Danny too and finally feels secure that she has found her place in the world.
1. Do you think just loving someone can give you a "place in the world?" Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is really in love with Danny or is it just a reaction to being alone? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is easier to fall in love with someone you've known your whole life than a recently met person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Cordelia shares some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell, and Julie feels even more gratitude for the abundance of love she has received in her life.
1. Do you think Uncle Haskell's childhood was what propelled him towards alcohol? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think some people have difficult childhoods but don't turn to drugs or alcohol?
3. Do you think Uncle Haskell's drinking was a form of slow suicide to escape memories of childhood? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The next morning, a note from Uncle Haskell has been slid under Julie's door and she is somewhat relieved, when she reads his words, "I'll say to my sad-faced little Julie: Guilt feelings will do nothing for either you or the Kilpin child. But your compassion as you grow into womanhood may well become immortality for the girl you call Aggie."
1. What do you think Uncle Haskell meant by his statement?
2. Do you think Julie, at the age she was when she received her Uncle's note could understand the full meaning of it? Why or why not?
3. How do you think Aggie's death will change Julie?
This section contains 2,248 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)