|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is Julie annoyed with recent meetings with her father?
2. Who arrives at Cordelia's house to find Katy there?
3. What happens to Julie's feelings towards Alicia eventually?
4. Where does Julie anticipate moving?
5. Where do Jonathan and Katy Eltwing move?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julie think about Jonathan?
2. Why does Uncle Haskell come yelling for Aunt Cordelia one night?
3. What does Julie think about moving back in with her father?
4. What does Brett do in English class and how is Julie involved?
5. What ends Brett and Julie's relationship and what does Brett do?
6. What happens during Alicia's meeting with Julie?
7. What does Julie tell Brett when she sees him the night of her meeting with Alicia?
8. Why is Julie's friendship with her uncle important?
9. What hobby does Julie take up in her senior year and who helps her?
10. What do Danny and Julie figure out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this chapter, the author relies heavily on the use of memory as Laura recalls the story of Aunt Cordelia and Jonathan Eltwing and relays the story to Julie. In this way, the author can provide more information about Aunt Cordelia's character without the filters normally applied, when a person talks about himself.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way the author relayed information about Aunt Cordelia in chapter 5 was the best way to give this information? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Laura talking to Julie can provide more information about Aunt Cordelia than her talking about herself?
Essay Topic 2
Uncle Haskell tells Julie that Aunt Cordelia exhibits the same characteristics as her own mother, who preferred Haskell to Cordelia. Julie vows that if she ever has children, she will never show favoritism of the boys over the girls.
1. Do you think that boys are preferred over girls in general? Why or why not?
2. If Julie believes that her brother is preferred over herself by her Aunt Cordelia do you think this would affect her feelings towards herself, her brother and her aunt? Why or why not?
3. What do you think Julie should do to make her aunt see her as important as a boy?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses personification in this chapter, when she gives human characteristics to inanimate objects.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Write a brief description of your bedroom using personification.
3. Why do you think an author uses personification? Do you think it is an effective method of description?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)