|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers they are in love?
2. What does Haskell play for Katy?
3. What does Jonathan do on many evenings?
4. What happens in the Spring?
5. What were Julie and Brett's little walks normally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonathan do in the small town where Aunt Cordelia lives and what do the townspeople think?
2. What event mars some of Julie's joy at success?
3. What do Danny and Julie figure out?
4. How is Julie's hobby successful and how do they celebrate? What does Uncle Haskell do?
5. How does Brett react to Julie's response to his request yet what does she agree to do?
6. Why does Uncle Haskell come yelling for Aunt Cordelia one night?
7. What does Julie tell Brett when she sees him the night of her meeting with Alicia?
8. What hobby does Julie take up in her senior year and who helps her?
9. Why is Julie's friendship with her uncle important?
10. What ends Brett and Julie's relationship and what does Brett do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses the literary technique of irony in this chapter when presenting the sad state of Aggie's death. Ironically, only after her death does Aggie receive the tender washing and bodily care she desperately needed when she was alive.
1. With research, give an explanation of the irony about Aggie's death, including a brief definition of irony.
2. Why do you think an author would use irony in a story?
3. Describe an ironic event you've been in or have heard about.
Essay Topic 2
Julie hesitantly approves of the changes Alicia has made to the house but is appalled to discover that Alicia has converted Laura's old bedroom into an office. Alicia had no way of knowing that Julie coveted that room.
1. Do you think Alicia should have talked with Julie before making changes to the house? Why or why not?
2. Change is always difficult and Julie has had many changes in her young life. Discuss how you see the changes affecting her as a person. Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Eventually Danny stops dating Eden and declares his love for Julie, telling her that he has loved her ever since they were little children. Julie is in love with Danny too and finally feels secure that she has found her place in the world.
1. Do you think just loving someone can give you a "place in the world?" Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is really in love with Danny or is it just a reaction to being alone? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is easier to fall in love with someone you've known your whole life than a recently met person? Why or why not?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)