|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can those around her tell Julie is feeling better?
2. Who does Brett begin to date?
3. What were Julie and Brett's little walks normally?
4. What happens to Julie's feelings towards Alicia eventually?
5. Why are all the girls envious?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Danny and Julie figure out?
2. What does Julie's family do about Julie's sadness?
3. What does Julie's last year in elementary school mark in Aunt Cordelia's life?
4. What does Jonathan do in the small town where Aunt Cordelia lives and what do the townspeople think?
5. Why does Uncle Haskell come yelling for Aunt Cordelia one night?
6. How does Katy respond to living in the country?
7. What happens to Uncle Haskell's and Katy's relationship?
8. What does Julie hear about her and being raised by Aunt Cordelia?
9. What ends Brett and Julie's relationship and what does Brett do?
10. What happens during Alicia's meeting with Julie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julie is envious of Laura, who retains all the securities of home but does not realize that Laura's memories of their Mother are more defined. Her grief is a burden that Julie cannot understand.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book and your own knowledge to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Julie and Laura have reacted differently to their mother's death?
3. Do you think Laura might be envious of Julie? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author also uses visual imagery when describing the violent piano playing of the timid Mrs. Eltwing. "Waves of music crashed throughout the rooms of the old house, mountains began to shake and comets to fall under her hands while I could imagine tidal waves rolling in and the wind uprooting trees and sending ships spinning to the bottom of the sea. Then as my heart seemed almost ready to burst with the tumult, her music suddenly subsided and the sky became bright; the storm was over."
1. Explain why the author's description of Mrs. Eltwing helped to show her as a character.
2. What can you guess about Mrs. Eltwing's personality from Chapter 5?
3. How do you think a timid person like Mrs. Eltwing appears to be could be such a violent pianist? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Eventually Danny stops dating Eden and declares his love for Julie, telling her that he has loved her ever since they were little children. Julie is in love with Danny too and finally feels secure that she has found her place in the world.
1. Do you think just loving someone can give you a "place in the world?" Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is really in love with Danny or is it just a reaction to being alone? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is easier to fall in love with someone you've known your whole life than a recently met person? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)