|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Julie's feelings towards Alicia eventually?
2. Where is one of Julie's stories published?
3. What has an especially bad end?
4. To whom does Julie defend her relationship with Brett?
5. Why is the little school where Cordelia teaches being closed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hobby does Julie take up in her senior year and who helps her?
2. What does Julie's last year in elementary school mark in Aunt Cordelia's life?
3. Why is Julie happy the summer between her junior and senior year?
4. What ends Brett and Julie's relationship and what does Brett do?
5. What happens during Alicia's meeting with Julie?
6. How does Julie feel about Alicia when she first dates her father and how does she end up feeling?
7. What event mars some of Julie's joy at success?
8. What does Julie think about moving back in with her father?
9. How does Katy's story end?
10. What does Julie think about Jonathan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eventually Danny stops dating Eden and declares his love for Julie, telling her that he has loved her ever since they were little children. Julie is in love with Danny too and finally feels secure that she has found her place in the world.
1. Do you think just loving someone can give you a "place in the world?" Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is really in love with Danny or is it just a reaction to being alone? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is easier to fall in love with someone you've known your whole life than a recently met person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In this chapter, the author relies heavily on the use of memory as Laura recalls the story of Aunt Cordelia and Jonathan Eltwing and relays the story to Julie. In this way, the author can provide more information about Aunt Cordelia's character without the filters normally applied, when a person talks about himself.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way the author relayed information about Aunt Cordelia in chapter 5 was the best way to give this information? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Laura talking to Julie can provide more information about Aunt Cordelia than her talking about herself?
Essay Topic 3
Julie remembers an old hiding place in a closet under the stairs and she climbs in hoping to avoid seeing Mrs. Peters, Danny, and Carlotta. Mrs. Peters outwits Julie and discovers the girl's hiding place but is unsuccessful at retrieving her. Ultimately, Aunt Cordelia returns home, learns of Julie's hiding place from Mrs. Peters, and climbs in beside Julie where aunt and niece hold each other and sob in their mutual grief.
1. Do you think this is the best thing Aunt Cordelia could have done? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is being difficult by hiding? Why or why not?
3. How do you think you would react and what would you do if you were in Julie's place?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)