|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Jonathan and Katy Eltwing move?
2. What will happen if Julie continues to help her boyfriend?
3. What does Julie assume Aunt Cordelia feels?
4. What does Haskell take time to do?
5. How does Julie's luck change with the guys?
Essay Topic 1
Carlotta thinks that Julie's decision to live at Aunt Cordelia's house during her high school years is a sign of madness, because no boy will want to drive out to the country to pick up Julie for dates. If the distance from town were not enough of a deterrent, surely no boy would want to encounter Aunt Cordelia if he did not have to.
1. Do you that Carlotta is correct? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie should make a decision as to where to live based on whether she will find boys to date? Why or why not?
3. Explain what you would do in Julie's situation.
Essay Topic 2
Julie experiences not only Chris' departure for boarding school but also Laura's marriage to Bill.
1. What effect do you think these types of events would have on a young girl? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
2. What do you think a person can do to adjust to changes in their life? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
3. Do you think it was fair to Julie for the family to send Chris off to school? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses the literary technique of symbolism by connecting Aunt Cordelia's retirement with the autumn of the year.
1. What do you think is meant by the statement, "autumn of life?"
2. Discuss the life of a human in terms of the four seasons.
3. Do you think everyone goes through the stages of life at the same time? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,292 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)