|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jonathan do on many evenings?
2. What discovery appalls Julie?
3. What happens in the Spring?
4. How does Julie's luck change with the guys?
5. How is Katy's declining health exacerbated?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julie's luck with boys change in her junior year and how does her family feel about it?
2. What does Julie's family do about Julie's sadness?
3. How does Brett react to Julie's response to his request yet what does she agree to do?
4. How does Katy respond to living in the country?
5. What does Julie think about moving back in with her father?
6. What hobby does Julie take up in her senior year and who helps her?
7. How does Katy's story end?
8. How does Julie feel about Alicia when she first dates her father and how does she end up feeling?
9. Why is Julie happy the summer between her junior and senior year?
10. What does Julie's last year in elementary school mark in Aunt Cordelia's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses personification in this chapter, when she gives human characteristics to inanimate objects.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Write a brief description of your bedroom using personification.
3. Why do you think an author uses personification? Do you think it is an effective method of description?
Essay Topic 2
Carlotta thinks that Julie's decision to live at Aunt Cordelia's house during her high school years is a sign of madness, because no boy will want to drive out to the country to pick up Julie for dates. If the distance from town were not enough of a deterrent, surely no boy would want to encounter Aunt Cordelia if he did not have to.
1. Do you that Carlotta is correct? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie should make a decision as to where to live based on whether she will find boys to date? Why or why not?
3. Explain what you would do in Julie's situation.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses the literary technique of symbolism by connecting Aunt Cordelia's retirement with the autumn of the year.
1. What do you think is meant by the statement, "autumn of life?"
2. Discuss the life of a human in terms of the four seasons.
3. Do you think everyone goes through the stages of life at the same time? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)