|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Haskell eventually refuse to come to Jonathan's home?
2. What does Aunt Cordelia share with Julie?
3. Why does Uncle Haskell need a diversion?
4. How does Julie's luck change with the guys?
5. Of what does Julie's social life consist her first two years of high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Danny and Julie figure out?
2. What ends Brett and Julie's relationship and what does Brett do?
3. What hobby does Julie take up in her senior year and who helps her?
4. What does Brett do in English class and how is Julie involved?
5. How does Katy respond to living in the country?
6. What does Julie think about moving back in with her father?
7. What does Julie's last year in elementary school mark in Aunt Cordelia's life?
8. What does Julie's family do about Julie's sadness?
9. Why is Julie's friendship with her uncle important?
10. What does Julie hear about her and being raised by Aunt Cordelia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The next morning, a note from Uncle Haskell has been slid under Julie's door and she is somewhat relieved, when she reads his words, "I'll say to my sad-faced little Julie: Guilt feelings will do nothing for either you or the Kilpin child. But your compassion as you grow into womanhood may well become immortality for the girl you call Aggie."
1. What do you think Uncle Haskell meant by his statement?
2. Do you think Julie, at the age she was when she received her Uncle's note could understand the full meaning of it? Why or why not?
3. How do you think Aggie's death will change Julie?
Essay Topic 2
Julie has learned most of her life lessons from Aunt Cordelia, whose example has taught that obstacles can be overcome with perseverance and compassion and by viewing life as a wonderful journey.
1. Do you believe that all obstacles in life can be overcome with perseverance? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie overcame more obstacles in her young life than most high school seniors? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Aunt Cordelia makes compassion as important as perseverance? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
After almost two miserable months, Julie wakes one day with the realization that she has finally dismissed Brett from her mind and for the first time in a long time she is happy and peaceful.
1. Why do you think Julie was happy once she finally let go of Brett?
2. Some say that the only way to be happy in the present is to let go of the past. What do you think this means? Do you believe it is true? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the problems a person encounters after breaking up with a boy/girl friend?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)