|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Haskell eventually refuse to come to Jonathan's home?
2. Who discovers they are in love?
3. About what is Julie wondering?
4. How does Aunt Cordelia respond?
5. What does Haskell take time to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julie is envious of Laura, who retains all the securities of home but does not realize that Laura's memories of their Mother are more defined. Her grief is a burden that Julie cannot understand.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book and your own knowledge to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Julie and Laura have reacted differently to their mother's death?
3. Do you think Laura might be envious of Julie? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Carlotta thinks that Julie's decision to live at Aunt Cordelia's house during her high school years is a sign of madness, because no boy will want to drive out to the country to pick up Julie for dates. If the distance from town were not enough of a deterrent, surely no boy would want to encounter Aunt Cordelia if he did not have to.
1. Do you that Carlotta is correct? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie should make a decision as to where to live based on whether she will find boys to date? Why or why not?
3. Explain what you would do in Julie's situation.
Essay Topic 3
Julie remembers an old hiding place in a closet under the stairs and she climbs in hoping to avoid seeing Mrs. Peters, Danny, and Carlotta. Mrs. Peters outwits Julie and discovers the girl's hiding place but is unsuccessful at retrieving her. Ultimately, Aunt Cordelia returns home, learns of Julie's hiding place from Mrs. Peters, and climbs in beside Julie where aunt and niece hold each other and sob in their mutual grief.
1. Do you think this is the best thing Aunt Cordelia could have done? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is being difficult by hiding? Why or why not?
3. How do you think you would react and what would you do if you were in Julie's place?
This section contains 2,254 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)