|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julie secretly think?
2. How accurate are Carlotta's predictions about the boys?
3. Why does Julie rise early one morning?
4. With whom does Julie begin spending more time?
5. What does Julie tell Brett?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Katy's story end?
2. Why is Julie happy the summer between her junior and senior year?
3. What does Brett do in English class and how is Julie involved?
4. What event mars some of Julie's joy at success?
5. How is Julie's hobby successful and how do they celebrate? What does Uncle Haskell do?
6. What does Julie's last year in elementary school mark in Aunt Cordelia's life?
7. How does Julie handle being hurt by what she thinks is Aunt Cordelia's rejection?
8. What does Carlotta think of Julie's decision to live with Aunt Cordelia through high school?
9. What does Julie discuss with Aunt Cordelia and what is the result?
10. What does Julie think about Jonathan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle Haskell tells Julie that Aunt Cordelia exhibits the same characteristics as her own mother, who preferred Haskell to Cordelia. Julie vows that if she ever has children, she will never show favoritism of the boys over the girls.
1. Do you think that boys are preferred over girls in general? Why or why not?
2. If Julie believes that her brother is preferred over herself by her Aunt Cordelia do you think this would affect her feelings towards herself, her brother and her aunt? Why or why not?
3. What do you think Julie should do to make her aunt see her as important as a boy?
Essay Topic 2
The author also uses visual imagery when describing the violent piano playing of the timid Mrs. Eltwing. "Waves of music crashed throughout the rooms of the old house, mountains began to shake and comets to fall under her hands while I could imagine tidal waves rolling in and the wind uprooting trees and sending ships spinning to the bottom of the sea. Then as my heart seemed almost ready to burst with the tumult, her music suddenly subsided and the sky became bright; the storm was over."
1. Explain why the author's description of Mrs. Eltwing helped to show her as a character.
2. What can you guess about Mrs. Eltwing's personality from Chapter 5?
3. How do you think a timid person like Mrs. Eltwing appears to be could be such a violent pianist? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Eventually Danny stops dating Eden and declares his love for Julie, telling her that he has loved her ever since they were little children. Julie is in love with Danny too and finally feels secure that she has found her place in the world.
1. Do you think just loving someone can give you a "place in the world?" Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is really in love with Danny or is it just a reaction to being alone? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is easier to fall in love with someone you've known your whole life than a recently met person? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)