|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is Julie annoyed with recent meetings with her father?
2. Why does Uncle Haskell call Julie down from upstairs one evening?
3. How does Aunt Cordelia respond?
4. What happens in the Spring?
5. Why does Brett come over later that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Uncle Haskell's and Katy's relationship?
2. How does Julie's luck with boys change in her junior year and how does her family feel about it?
3. What ends Brett and Julie's relationship and what does Brett do?
4. What does Julie's last year in elementary school mark in Aunt Cordelia's life?
5. Why is Julie's friendship with her uncle important?
6. How does Brett react to Julie's response to his request yet what does she agree to do?
7. What does Brett do in English class and how is Julie involved?
8. How does Julie feel about Alicia when she first dates her father and how does she end up feeling?
9. What happens during Alicia's meeting with Julie?
10. Why does Uncle Haskell come yelling for Aunt Cordelia one night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses the literary technique of symbolism by connecting Aunt Cordelia's retirement with the autumn of the year.
1. What do you think is meant by the statement, "autumn of life?"
2. Discuss the life of a human in terms of the four seasons.
3. Do you think everyone goes through the stages of life at the same time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The symbolism of the book's title becomes clear by the end of the story in that Julie learns that she has learned many lessons but has many more to learn along the road of her life.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss when you think a person finishes learning in life and why you think it. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think many people say that life is a road one walks? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Julie experiences not only Chris' departure for boarding school but also Laura's marriage to Bill.
1. What effect do you think these types of events would have on a young girl? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
2. What do you think a person can do to adjust to changes in their life? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
3. Do you think it was fair to Julie for the family to send Chris off to school? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)