|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About whom are rumors being said?
2. Of what does Julie's social life consist her first two years of high school?
3. Who arrives at Cordelia's house to find Katy there?
4. What does Brett do when he and Julie are done talking?
5. Why is the little school where Cordelia teaches being closed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julie think about moving back in with her father?
2. What does Julie discuss with Aunt Cordelia and what is the result?
3. What hobby does Julie take up in her senior year and who helps her?
4. How does Julie feel about Alicia when she first dates her father and how does she end up feeling?
5. What does Julie's family do about Julie's sadness?
6. What does Julie tell Brett when she sees him the night of her meeting with Alicia?
7. What does Julie think about Jonathan?
8. What does Jonathan do in the small town where Aunt Cordelia lives and what do the townspeople think?
9. What event mars some of Julie's joy at success?
10. What do Danny and Julie figure out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julie remembers an old hiding place in a closet under the stairs and she climbs in hoping to avoid seeing Mrs. Peters, Danny, and Carlotta. Mrs. Peters outwits Julie and discovers the girl's hiding place but is unsuccessful at retrieving her. Ultimately, Aunt Cordelia returns home, learns of Julie's hiding place from Mrs. Peters, and climbs in beside Julie where aunt and niece hold each other and sob in their mutual grief.
1. Do you think this is the best thing Aunt Cordelia could have done? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is being difficult by hiding? Why or why not?
3. How do you think you would react and what would you do if you were in Julie's place?
Essay Topic 2
Julie hesitantly approves of the changes Alicia has made to the house but is appalled to discover that Alicia has converted Laura's old bedroom into an office. Alicia had no way of knowing that Julie coveted that room.
1. Do you think Alicia should have talked with Julie before making changes to the house? Why or why not?
2. Change is always difficult and Julie has had many changes in her young life. Discuss how you see the changes affecting her as a person. Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Julie is envious of Laura, who retains all the securities of home but does not realize that Laura's memories of their Mother are more defined. Her grief is a burden that Julie cannot understand.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book and your own knowledge to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Julie and Laura have reacted differently to their mother's death?
3. Do you think Laura might be envious of Julie? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)