|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Haskell eventually refuse to come to Jonathan's home?
2. Who arrives at Cordelia's house to find Katy there?
3. Where does Uncle Haskell prefer to be instead in with the noisy family?
4. What does Julie assume Aunt Cordelia feels?
5. Who joins Julie doing things in the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Katy respond to living in the country?
2. What does Julie's last year in elementary school mark in Aunt Cordelia's life?
3. Why is Julie happy the summer between her junior and senior year?
4. Why is Julie's friendship with her uncle important?
5. What does Julie's family do about Julie's sadness?
6. What does Julie discuss with Aunt Cordelia and what is the result?
7. How does Julie feel about Alicia when she first dates her father and how does she end up feeling?
8. How does Julie handle being hurt by what she thinks is Aunt Cordelia's rejection?
9. What does Julie think about Jonathan?
10. What does Julie tell Brett when she sees him the night of her meeting with Alicia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Cordelia shares some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell, and Julie feels even more gratitude for the abundance of love she has received in her life.
1. Do you think Uncle Haskell's childhood was what propelled him towards alcohol? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think some people have difficult childhoods but don't turn to drugs or alcohol?
3. Do you think Uncle Haskell's drinking was a form of slow suicide to escape memories of childhood? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In this chapter, the author relies heavily on the use of memory as Laura recalls the story of Aunt Cordelia and Jonathan Eltwing and relays the story to Julie. In this way, the author can provide more information about Aunt Cordelia's character without the filters normally applied, when a person talks about himself.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way the author relayed information about Aunt Cordelia in chapter 5 was the best way to give this information? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Laura talking to Julie can provide more information about Aunt Cordelia than her talking about herself?
Essay Topic 3
After almost two miserable months, Julie wakes one day with the realization that she has finally dismissed Brett from her mind and for the first time in a long time she is happy and peaceful.
1. Why do you think Julie was happy once she finally let go of Brett?
2. Some say that the only way to be happy in the present is to let go of the past. What do you think this means? Do you believe it is true? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the problems a person encounters after breaking up with a boy/girl friend?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)