|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the family feel about Julie's success as a writer?
2. Why does Aunt Cordelia summon Uncle Haskell to have Brett leave?
3. What does Haskell do for Katy's funeral instead of attending the service?
4. Who arrives at Cordelia's house to find Katy there?
5. What does Julie tell Brett?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julie think about moving back in with her father?
2. What ends Brett and Julie's relationship and what does Brett do?
3. What does Julie tell Brett when she sees him the night of her meeting with Alicia?
4. How is Julie's hobby successful and how do they celebrate? What does Uncle Haskell do?
5. What does Julie think about Jonathan?
6. What does Julie discuss with Aunt Cordelia and what is the result?
7. What event mars some of Julie's joy at success?
8. Why does Uncle Haskell come yelling for Aunt Cordelia one night?
9. What does Jonathan do in the small town where Aunt Cordelia lives and what do the townspeople think?
10. What does Julie's family do about Julie's sadness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses the literary technique of symbolism by connecting Aunt Cordelia's retirement with the autumn of the year.
1. What do you think is meant by the statement, "autumn of life?"
2. Discuss the life of a human in terms of the four seasons.
3. Do you think everyone goes through the stages of life at the same time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Cordelia shares some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell, and Julie feels even more gratitude for the abundance of love she has received in her life.
1. Do you think Uncle Haskell's childhood was what propelled him towards alcohol? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think some people have difficult childhoods but don't turn to drugs or alcohol?
3. Do you think Uncle Haskell's drinking was a form of slow suicide to escape memories of childhood? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
After almost two miserable months, Julie wakes one day with the realization that she has finally dismissed Brett from her mind and for the first time in a long time she is happy and peaceful.
1. Why do you think Julie was happy once she finally let go of Brett?
2. Some say that the only way to be happy in the present is to let go of the past. What do you think this means? Do you believe it is true? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the problems a person encounters after breaking up with a boy/girl friend?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)