|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Julie's luck change with the guys?
2. Who picks up Julie on her way home from school?
3. What does Katy seem to find soothing?
4. What will happen if Julie continues to help her boyfriend?
5. Of what does Julie's social life consist her first two years of high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Uncle Haskell's and Katy's relationship?
2. How does Julie's luck with boys change in her junior year and how does her family feel about it?
3. What does Julie tell Brett when she sees him the night of her meeting with Alicia?
4. What does Julie's last year in elementary school mark in Aunt Cordelia's life?
5. What do Danny and Julie figure out?
6. What hobby does Julie take up in her senior year and who helps her?
7. What event mars some of Julie's joy at success?
8. What does Julie think about moving back in with her father?
9. How does Brett react to Julie's response to his request yet what does she agree to do?
10. How does Katy respond to living in the country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle Haskell tells Julie that Aunt Cordelia exhibits the same characteristics as her own mother, who preferred Haskell to Cordelia. Julie vows that if she ever has children, she will never show favoritism of the boys over the girls.
1. Do you think that boys are preferred over girls in general? Why or why not?
2. If Julie believes that her brother is preferred over herself by her Aunt Cordelia do you think this would affect her feelings towards herself, her brother and her aunt? Why or why not?
3. What do you think Julie should do to make her aunt see her as important as a boy?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses personification in this chapter, when she gives human characteristics to inanimate objects.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Write a brief description of your bedroom using personification.
3. Why do you think an author uses personification? Do you think it is an effective method of description?
Essay Topic 3
Eventually Danny stops dating Eden and declares his love for Julie, telling her that he has loved her ever since they were little children. Julie is in love with Danny too and finally feels secure that she has found her place in the world.
1. Do you think just loving someone can give you a "place in the world?" Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is really in love with Danny or is it just a reaction to being alone? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is easier to fall in love with someone you've known your whole life than a recently met person? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)