|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ironically, who in addition to others, blames Aunt Cordelia for Julie not having a party?
2. Why might Aunt Cordelia be looking forward to seeing Jonathan?
3. How do Julie and the others respond?
4. When Julie hits Chris for kissing her and gives him a black eye, what is Aunt Cordelia's response?
5. What does the doctor do for Julie's screaming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event mars some of Julie's joy at success?
2. How did Julie finish high school?
3. How does Katy's story end?
4. What did the townspeople think of Aunt Cordelia tutoring Jonathan?
5. What can Aunt Cordelia be counted on for and how does Julie feel towards her?
6. What does Julie think about Jonathan?
7. What do Danny and Julie figure out?
8. How does Julie's father feel about Julie's graduation? What is Julie's response?
9. What is announced a few weeks after the children discover Uncle Haskell's secret?
10. What does Jonathan say about Julie and how does she feel about it?
Essay Topic 1
Julie is envious of Laura, who retains all the securities of home but does not realize that Laura's memories of their Mother are more defined. Her grief is a burden that Julie cannot understand.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book and your own knowledge to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Julie and Laura have reacted differently to their mother's death?
3. Do you think Laura might be envious of Julie? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author brings to closure the foreshadowing used at the incident of Katy Eltwing's panic attack at the old creek bridge earlier in the book.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement?
2. Explain why or why not you thought the incident of Katy at the bridge was important to the story.
3. Do you think the panic attack Katy had at the bridge meant she could see the future? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Julie remembers an old hiding place in a closet under the stairs and she climbs in hoping to avoid seeing Mrs. Peters, Danny, and Carlotta. Mrs. Peters outwits Julie and discovers the girl's hiding place but is unsuccessful at retrieving her. Ultimately, Aunt Cordelia returns home, learns of Julie's hiding place from Mrs. Peters, and climbs in beside Julie where aunt and niece hold each other and sob in their mutual grief.
1. Do you think this is the best thing Aunt Cordelia could have done? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is being difficult by hiding? Why or why not?
3. How do you think you would react and what would you do if you were in Julie's place?
This section contains 2,776 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)