Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laura do?
2. What do the children whisper?
3. Of what is Julie not convinced?
4. What is one of Aunt Cordelia's greatest challenges as a schoolteacher?
5. Who does Laura meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Julie finish high school?
2. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
3. Why does Julie feel vulnerable when she gets up after her mother's funeral?
4. What happens to Julie when Laura takes her to her room?
5. How does Julie handle being hurt by what she thinks is Aunt Cordelia's rejection?
6. What ends Brett and Julie's relationship and what does Brett do?
7. What do Danny and Julie figure out?
8. Why is Julie's friendship with her uncle important?
9. What does Julie learn about Jonathan from Laura?
10. What does Julie's family do about Julie's sadness?
Julie remembers an old hiding place in a closet under the stairs and she climbs in hoping to avoid seeing Mrs. Peters, Danny, and Carlotta. Mrs. Peters outwits Julie and discovers the girl's hiding place but is unsuccessful at retrieving her. Ultimately, Aunt Cordelia returns home, learns of Julie's hiding place from Mrs. Peters, and climbs in beside Julie where aunt and niece hold each other and sob in their mutual grief.
1. Do you think this is the best thing Aunt Cordelia could have done? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is being difficult by hiding? Why or why not?
3. How do you think you would react and what would you do if you were in Julie's place?
Carlotta thinks that Julie's decision to live at Aunt Cordelia's house during her high school years is a sign of madness, because no boy will want to drive out to the country to pick up Julie for dates. If the distance from town were not enough of a deterrent, surely no boy would want to encounter Aunt Cordelia if he did not have to.
1. Do you that Carlotta is correct? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie should make a decision as to where to live based on whether she will find boys to date? Why or why not?
3. Explain what you would do in Julie's situation.
Eventually Danny stops dating Eden and declares his love for Julie, telling her that he has loved her ever since they were little children. Julie is in love with Danny too and finally feels secure that she has found her place in the world.
1. Do you think just loving someone can give you a "place in the world?" Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is really in love with Danny or is it just a reaction to being alone? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is easier to fall in love with someone you've known your whole life than a recently met person? Why or why not?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)