|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Julie's dad try to keep her away from Haskell?
2. What does Julie do as she explores her aunt's house?
3. What does Uncle Haskell applaud?
4. Where do Julie and Carlotta take some gladiolas?
5. Upon what does Aunt Cordelia instruct Chris and Julie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Julie and Chris do with Aunt Cordelia every day and what does she do?
2. What can Aunt Cordelia be counted on for and how does Julie feel towards her?
3. What does Uncle Haskell tell Julie about Aggie's death?
4. What do most of the people notice about Jonathan's wife?
5. What does Julie do when she hears the children say she will be going away and why?
6. Why does Julie envy Laura but what does Laura feel that Julie cannot understand?
7. What does Jonathan say about Julie and how does she feel about it?
8. What happens when Julie visits Laura and Bill and what does Bill tell her?
9. What happens to Julie when Laura takes her to her room?
10. What does Julie learn about Jonathan from Laura?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After almost two miserable months, Julie wakes one day with the realization that she has finally dismissed Brett from her mind and for the first time in a long time she is happy and peaceful.
1. Why do you think Julie was happy once she finally let go of Brett?
2. Some say that the only way to be happy in the present is to let go of the past. What do you think this means? Do you believe it is true? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the problems a person encounters after breaking up with a boy/girl friend?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the literary technique of symbolism by connecting Aunt Cordelia's retirement with the autumn of the year.
1. What do you think is meant by the statement, "autumn of life?"
2. Discuss the life of a human in terms of the four seasons.
3. Do you think everyone goes through the stages of life at the same time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Julie has learned most of her life lessons from Aunt Cordelia, whose example has taught that obstacles can be overcome with perseverance and compassion and by viewing life as a wonderful journey.
1. Do you believe that all obstacles in life can be overcome with perseverance? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie overcame more obstacles in her young life than most high school seniors? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Aunt Cordelia makes compassion as important as perseverance? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)