|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Chris call?
2. What is the aunt's response?
3. What does Julie's aunt do when she finds Julie hiding?
4. Who does Jonathan think Julie closely resembles?
5. What is the aunt's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is excited about Julie's birthday party?
2. Why does Julie feel vulnerable when she gets up after her mother's funeral?
3. What can Aunt Cordelia be counted on for and how does Julie feel towards her?
4. What is a drastic change in Julie's life when she is ten? How is she involved in it?
5. From what type of family did Jonathan come?
6. How and what do Julie and Chris discover about Uncle Haskell?
7. What does Aunt Cordelia try to do for the Kilpin family and how does she feel when she returns home?
8. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
9. Why is Aunt Cordelia upset with Julie's invitations and what does Julie do?
10. What did the townspeople think of Aunt Cordelia tutoring Jonathan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After almost two miserable months, Julie wakes one day with the realization that she has finally dismissed Brett from her mind and for the first time in a long time she is happy and peaceful.
1. Why do you think Julie was happy once she finally let go of Brett?
2. Some say that the only way to be happy in the present is to let go of the past. What do you think this means? Do you believe it is true? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the problems a person encounters after breaking up with a boy/girl friend?
Essay Topic 2
The author also uses visual imagery when describing the violent piano playing of the timid Mrs. Eltwing. "Waves of music crashed throughout the rooms of the old house, mountains began to shake and comets to fall under her hands while I could imagine tidal waves rolling in and the wind uprooting trees and sending ships spinning to the bottom of the sea. Then as my heart seemed almost ready to burst with the tumult, her music suddenly subsided and the sky became bright; the storm was over."
1. Explain why the author's description of Mrs. Eltwing helped to show her as a character.
2. What can you guess about Mrs. Eltwing's personality from Chapter 5?
3. How do you think a timid person like Mrs. Eltwing appears to be could be such a violent pianist? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses the literary technique of symbolism by connecting Aunt Cordelia's retirement with the autumn of the year.
1. What do you think is meant by the statement, "autumn of life?"
2. Discuss the life of a human in terms of the four seasons.
3. Do you think everyone goes through the stages of life at the same time? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)