|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who escorts the Eltwings?
2. Why might Aunt Cordelia be looking forward to seeing Jonathan?
3. What do the children whisper?
4. Who is moving to town?
5. Why does Julie scream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julie plan to do about college and what does Aunt Cordelia suggest?
2. How did Julie finish high school?
3. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
4. What happens to Uncle Haskell's and Katy's relationship?
5. What does Julie think about Jonathan?
6. How does Uncle Haskell help Julie with her loneliness after Chris leaves?
7. What does Brett do in English class and how is Julie involved?
8. What can Aunt Cordelia be counted on for and how does Julie feel towards her?
9. How is Julie and Aggie's relationship the rest of the school year and what happens in the summer that bothers Julie?
10. How does Katy's story end?
Essay Topic 1
Julie experiences not only Chris' departure for boarding school but also Laura's marriage to Bill.
1. What effect do you think these types of events would have on a young girl? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
2. What do you think a person can do to adjust to changes in their life? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
3. Do you think it was fair to Julie for the family to send Chris off to school? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Uncle Haskell tells Julie that Aunt Cordelia exhibits the same characteristics as her own mother, who preferred Haskell to Cordelia. Julie vows that if she ever has children, she will never show favoritism of the boys over the girls.
1. Do you think that boys are preferred over girls in general? Why or why not?
2. If Julie believes that her brother is preferred over herself by her Aunt Cordelia do you think this would affect her feelings towards herself, her brother and her aunt? Why or why not?
3. What do you think Julie should do to make her aunt see her as important as a boy?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses the literary technique of symbolism by connecting Aunt Cordelia's retirement with the autumn of the year.
1. What do you think is meant by the statement, "autumn of life?"
2. Discuss the life of a human in terms of the four seasons.
3. Do you think everyone goes through the stages of life at the same time? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,828 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)