|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is moving to town?
2. How does Aunt Cordelia get the bulk of her income?
3. What do Chris and Julie discover in the woods one day?
4. How does Julie's aunt make amends?
5. What does Julie vow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Julie and Chris do with Aunt Cordelia every day and what does she do?
2. What did the townspeople think of Aunt Cordelia tutoring Jonathan?
3. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
4. Who is excited about Julie's birthday party?
5. What do most of the people notice about Jonathan's wife?
6. What can Aunt Cordelia be counted on for and how does Julie feel towards her?
7. Who does Julie meet as the novel opens and why hasn't she seen them for awhile?
8. How does Uncle Haskell help Julie with her loneliness after Chris leaves?
9. Why is Aunt Cordelia upset with Julie's invitations and what does Julie do?
10. What news arrives towards the end of the summer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses the literary technique of irony in this chapter when presenting the sad state of Aggie's death. Ironically, only after her death does Aggie receive the tender washing and bodily care she desperately needed when she was alive.
1. With research, give an explanation of the irony about Aggie's death, including a brief definition of irony.
2. Why do you think an author would use irony in a story?
3. Describe an ironic event you've been in or have heard about.
Essay Topic 2
Julie remembers an old hiding place in a closet under the stairs and she climbs in hoping to avoid seeing Mrs. Peters, Danny, and Carlotta. Mrs. Peters outwits Julie and discovers the girl's hiding place but is unsuccessful at retrieving her. Ultimately, Aunt Cordelia returns home, learns of Julie's hiding place from Mrs. Peters, and climbs in beside Julie where aunt and niece hold each other and sob in their mutual grief.
1. Do you think this is the best thing Aunt Cordelia could have done? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is being difficult by hiding? Why or why not?
3. How do you think you would react and what would you do if you were in Julie's place?
Essay Topic 3
Julie tells Brett about the meeting she had had with Alicia and tells Brett that she cannot help him with his homework any longer. Brett's temper explodes at this denial, and rising to go, he tries to coerce Julie to walk with him in the woods.
1. Discuss, with examples, why you think Brett was angry at Julie's refusal.
2. Do you think Brett had a good reason for getting angry? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brett might be dating Julie only for getting help with his homework? Why or why not?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)