|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the next time Julie sees Laura after Laura's marriage?
2. What does the person in #52 advise Julie?
3. Where does Julie awaken?
4. Who is moving to town?
5. How does Uncle Haskell excuse himself from the guests?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is excited about Julie's birthday party?
2. How does Uncle Haskell help Julie with her loneliness after Chris leaves?
3. How does Aunt Cordelia make her money and what else does she do?
4. What can Aunt Cordelia be counted on for and how does Julie feel towards her?
5. What does Aunt Cordelia try to do for the Kilpin family and how does she feel when she returns home?
6. What does Julie learn about Jonathan from Laura?
7. Where does Julie go and what does she do after she is chastised by Aunt Cordelia over hitting Danny?
8. Who does Julie meet as the novel opens and why hasn't she seen them for awhile?
9. What does Julie do when she hears the children say she will be going away and why?
10. What is a drastic change in Julie's life when she is ten? How is she involved in it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Cordelia shares some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell, and Julie feels even more gratitude for the abundance of love she has received in her life.
1. Do you think Uncle Haskell's childhood was what propelled him towards alcohol? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think some people have difficult childhoods but don't turn to drugs or alcohol?
3. Do you think Uncle Haskell's drinking was a form of slow suicide to escape memories of childhood? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Julie is envious of Laura, who retains all the securities of home but does not realize that Laura's memories of their Mother are more defined. Her grief is a burden that Julie cannot understand.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book and your own knowledge to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Julie and Laura have reacted differently to their mother's death?
3. Do you think Laura might be envious of Julie? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author also uses visual imagery when describing the violent piano playing of the timid Mrs. Eltwing. "Waves of music crashed throughout the rooms of the old house, mountains began to shake and comets to fall under her hands while I could imagine tidal waves rolling in and the wind uprooting trees and sending ships spinning to the bottom of the sea. Then as my heart seemed almost ready to burst with the tumult, her music suddenly subsided and the sky became bright; the storm was over."
1. Explain why the author's description of Mrs. Eltwing helped to show her as a character.
2. What can you guess about Mrs. Eltwing's personality from Chapter 5?
3. How do you think a timid person like Mrs. Eltwing appears to be could be such a violent pianist? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)