|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Haskell say that Aunt Cordelia is doing?
2. What does Jonathan tell his wife?
3. What does Bill ask Julie to overlook about Laura during the visit?
4. What does Julie vow?
5. What does Aunt Cordelia do as Julie cleans the dishes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Laura and Julie's father feel about her time with Uncle Haskell and what do they do about it?
2. What challenges Aunt Cordelia most about teaching and what does she encourage Julie and the other girls to do? How do they feel about it?
3. What news arrives towards the end of the summer?
4. Where does Julie go and what does she do after she is chastised by Aunt Cordelia over hitting Danny?
5. What does Julie learn about Jonathan from Laura?
6. What is announced a few weeks after the children discover Uncle Haskell's secret?
7. Who does Julie meet as the novel opens and why hasn't she seen them for awhile?
8. What is a drastic change in Julie's life when she is ten? How is she involved in it?
9. What happens when Julie visits Laura and Bill and what does Bill tell her?
10. How and what do Julie and Chris discover about Uncle Haskell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Cordelia shares some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell, and Julie feels even more gratitude for the abundance of love she has received in her life.
1. Do you think Uncle Haskell's childhood was what propelled him towards alcohol? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think some people have difficult childhoods but don't turn to drugs or alcohol?
3. Do you think Uncle Haskell's drinking was a form of slow suicide to escape memories of childhood? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The symbolism of the book's title becomes clear by the end of the story in that Julie learns that she has learned many lessons but has many more to learn along the road of her life.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss when you think a person finishes learning in life and why you think it. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think many people say that life is a road one walks? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author brings to closure the foreshadowing used at the incident of Katy Eltwing's panic attack at the old creek bridge earlier in the book.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement?
2. Explain why or why not you thought the incident of Katy at the bridge was important to the story.
3. Do you think the panic attack Katy had at the bridge meant she could see the future? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)