|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Julie's aunt make amends?
2. What does Julie vow?
3. Where is Chris going?
4. How do Julie and the others respond?
5. Who is moving to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Julie's hobby successful and how do they celebrate? What does Uncle Haskell do?
2. What does Aunt Cordelia try to do for the Kilpin family and how does she feel when she returns home?
3. How does Julie react to Aunt Cordelia's suggestion?
4. What do most of the people notice about Jonathan's wife?
5. What does Brett do in English class and how is Julie involved?
6. What does Julie discuss with Aunt Cordelia and what is the result?
7. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
8. What does Carlotta think of Julie's decision to live with Aunt Cordelia through high school?
9. What event mars some of Julie's joy at success?
10. How does Brett react to Julie's response to his request yet what does she agree to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses the literary technique of symbolism by connecting Aunt Cordelia's retirement with the autumn of the year.
1. What do you think is meant by the statement, "autumn of life?"
2. Discuss the life of a human in terms of the four seasons.
3. Do you think everyone goes through the stages of life at the same time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Before the end of the summer, Julie and Chris stumble onto Uncle Haskell's activities involving his golf bag. Following Uncle Haskell into the woods one night, Julie and Chris watch Uncle Haskell retrieve a spade from his bag. Thinking that Uncle Haskell is probably burying all sorts of dead creatures in the woods, Julie and Chris unearth some of the little graves the next day only to discover empty whiskey bottles.
1. Why do you think Uncle Haskell buries his empty whiskey bottles? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
2. After researching intervention with alcoholics explain why you think the family should or shouldn't do one on Uncle Haskell.
3. Do you think it was wrong of Chris and Julie to follow their Uncle Haskell? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The symbolism of the book's title becomes clear by the end of the story in that Julie learns that she has learned many lessons but has many more to learn along the road of her life.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss when you think a person finishes learning in life and why you think it. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think many people say that life is a road one walks? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 2,789 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)