|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Chris call?
2. Why is a party being thrown for Julie?
3. What does Uncle Haskell applaud?
4. What does Julie do with the pink note cards Alicia Allison sends her?
5. Who does Laura meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Uncle Haskell come yelling for Aunt Cordelia one night?
2. What does Julie do when she hears the children say she will be going away and why?
3. Why is Julie's friendship with her uncle important?
4. What did the townspeople think of Aunt Cordelia tutoring Jonathan?
5. What is announced a few weeks after the children discover Uncle Haskell's secret?
6. From what type of family did Jonathan come?
7. What hobby does Julie take up in her senior year and who helps her?
8. Who is excited about Julie's birthday party?
9. How does Katy respond to living in the country?
10. What happens during Alicia's meeting with Julie?
Essay Topic 1
After almost two miserable months, Julie wakes one day with the realization that she has finally dismissed Brett from her mind and for the first time in a long time she is happy and peaceful.
1. Why do you think Julie was happy once she finally let go of Brett?
2. Some say that the only way to be happy in the present is to let go of the past. What do you think this means? Do you believe it is true? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the problems a person encounters after breaking up with a boy/girl friend?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Cordelia shares some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell, and Julie feels even more gratitude for the abundance of love she has received in her life.
1. Do you think Uncle Haskell's childhood was what propelled him towards alcohol? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think some people have difficult childhoods but don't turn to drugs or alcohol?
3. Do you think Uncle Haskell's drinking was a form of slow suicide to escape memories of childhood? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Julie hesitantly approves of the changes Alicia has made to the house but is appalled to discover that Alicia has converted Laura's old bedroom into an office. Alicia had no way of knowing that Julie coveted that room.
1. Do you think Alicia should have talked with Julie before making changes to the house? Why or why not?
2. Change is always difficult and Julie has had many changes in her young life. Discuss how you see the changes affecting her as a person. Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
This section contains 2,700 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)