|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Haskell applaud?
2. What does Laura do?
3. When did Julie last play with these children?
4. What relationship is Jonathan Eltwing to Aunt Cordelia?
5. What is odd about Mrs. Eltwing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the townspeople think of Aunt Cordelia tutoring Jonathan?
2. From what type of family did Jonathan come?
3. What challenges Aunt Cordelia most about teaching and what does she encourage Julie and the other girls to do? How do they feel about it?
4. What does Jonathan say about Julie and how does she feel about it?
5. Why does Julie feel vulnerable when she gets up after her mother's funeral?
6. What news arrives towards the end of the summer?
7. How and what do Julie and Chris discover about Uncle Haskell?
8. How do Laura and Julie's father feel about her time with Uncle Haskell and what do they do about it?
9. Who does Julie meet as the novel opens and why hasn't she seen them for awhile?
10. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julie has learned most of her life lessons from Aunt Cordelia, whose example has taught that obstacles can be overcome with perseverance and compassion and by viewing life as a wonderful journey.
1. Do you believe that all obstacles in life can be overcome with perseverance? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie overcame more obstacles in her young life than most high school seniors? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Aunt Cordelia makes compassion as important as perseverance? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
After almost two miserable months, Julie wakes one day with the realization that she has finally dismissed Brett from her mind and for the first time in a long time she is happy and peaceful.
1. Why do you think Julie was happy once she finally let go of Brett?
2. Some say that the only way to be happy in the present is to let go of the past. What do you think this means? Do you believe it is true? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the problems a person encounters after breaking up with a boy/girl friend?
Essay Topic 3
Julie hesitantly approves of the changes Alicia has made to the house but is appalled to discover that Alicia has converted Laura's old bedroom into an office. Alicia had no way of knowing that Julie coveted that room.
1. Do you think Alicia should have talked with Julie before making changes to the house? Why or why not?
2. Change is always difficult and Julie has had many changes in her young life. Discuss how you see the changes affecting her as a person. Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)