|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What enlivens Mrs. Eltwing?
2. What does it mean to say her aunt is a spinster?
3. Where is Julie Trelling walking as the story opens?
4. Who does Jonathan think Julie closely resembles?
5. Who starts taking a special interest in Julie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do most of the people notice about Jonathan's wife?
2. From what type of family did Jonathan come?
3. How is Julie and Aggie's relationship the rest of the school year and what happens in the summer that bothers Julie?
4. What happens to Julie when Laura takes her to her room?
5. What did the townspeople think of Aunt Cordelia tutoring Jonathan?
6. What does Aunt Cordelia try to do for the Kilpin family and how does she feel when she returns home?
7. What does Julie learn about Jonathan from Laura?
8. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
9. What does Jonathan say about Julie and how does she feel about it?
10. Where does Julie go and what does she do after she is chastised by Aunt Cordelia over hitting Danny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julie remembers an old hiding place in a closet under the stairs and she climbs in hoping to avoid seeing Mrs. Peters, Danny, and Carlotta. Mrs. Peters outwits Julie and discovers the girl's hiding place but is unsuccessful at retrieving her. Ultimately, Aunt Cordelia returns home, learns of Julie's hiding place from Mrs. Peters, and climbs in beside Julie where aunt and niece hold each other and sob in their mutual grief.
1. Do you think this is the best thing Aunt Cordelia could have done? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is being difficult by hiding? Why or why not?
3. How do you think you would react and what would you do if you were in Julie's place?
Essay Topic 2
The author brings to closure the foreshadowing used at the incident of Katy Eltwing's panic attack at the old creek bridge earlier in the book.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement?
2. Explain why or why not you thought the incident of Katy at the bridge was important to the story.
3. Do you think the panic attack Katy had at the bridge meant she could see the future? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Carlotta thinks that Julie's decision to live at Aunt Cordelia's house during her high school years is a sign of madness, because no boy will want to drive out to the country to pick up Julie for dates. If the distance from town were not enough of a deterrent, surely no boy would want to encounter Aunt Cordelia if he did not have to.
1. Do you that Carlotta is correct? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie should make a decision as to where to live based on whether she will find boys to date? Why or why not?
3. Explain what you would do in Julie's situation.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)