Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Julie's aunt make amends?
2. Why does Julie feel vulnerable?
3. Who escorts the Eltwings?
4. With what is Julie's house filled?
5. What is odd about Mrs. Eltwing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julie think about Jonathan?
2. What does Aunt Cordelia try to do for the Kilpin family and how does she feel when she returns home?
3. What is a drastic change in Julie's life when she is ten? How is she involved in it?
4. Who is excited about Julie's birthday party?
5. What do Julie and Chris do with Aunt Cordelia every day and what does she do?
6. Why is Julie happy the summer between her junior and senior year?
7. How does Uncle Haskell help Julie with her loneliness after Chris leaves?
8. Why does Julie feel vulnerable when she gets up after her mother's funeral?
9. How did Julie finish high school?
10. What does Julie think about moving back in with her father?
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Cordelia shares some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell, and Julie feels even more gratitude for the abundance of love she has received in her life.
1. Do you think Uncle Haskell's childhood was what propelled him towards alcohol? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think some people have difficult childhoods but don't turn to drugs or alcohol?
3. Do you think Uncle Haskell's drinking was a form of slow suicide to escape memories of childhood? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Eventually Danny stops dating Eden and declares his love for Julie, telling her that he has loved her ever since they were little children. Julie is in love with Danny too and finally feels secure that she has found her place in the world.
1. Do you think just loving someone can give you a "place in the world?" Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is really in love with Danny or is it just a reaction to being alone? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is easier to fall in love with someone you've known your whole life than a recently met person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Julie has learned most of her life lessons from Aunt Cordelia, whose example has taught that obstacles can be overcome with perseverance and compassion and by viewing life as a wonderful journey.
1. Do you believe that all obstacles in life can be overcome with perseverance? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie overcame more obstacles in her young life than most high school seniors? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Aunt Cordelia makes compassion as important as perseverance? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)