|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to live at Aunt Cordelia's house with Julie?
2. Why does Aunt Cordelia enlist the aid of Julie and Chris?
3. Why might Aunt Cordelia not be wanting to see Jonathan?
4. How much of Laura's time is taken up when Julie comes to visit her?
5. What does Laura do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Julie go and what does she do after she is chastised by Aunt Cordelia over hitting Danny?
2. What is announced a few weeks after the children discover Uncle Haskell's secret?
3. What happens to Julie when Laura takes her to her room?
4. Who is excited about Julie's birthday party?
5. What does Aunt Cordelia try to do for the Kilpin family and how does she feel when she returns home?
6. What does Jonathan say about Julie and how does she feel about it?
7. How is Julie and Aggie's relationship the rest of the school year and what happens in the summer that bothers Julie?
8. From what type of family did Jonathan come?
9. How and what do Julie and Chris discover about Uncle Haskell?
10. How does Aunt Cordelia make her money and what else does she do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this chapter, the author relies heavily on the use of memory as Laura recalls the story of Aunt Cordelia and Jonathan Eltwing and relays the story to Julie. In this way, the author can provide more information about Aunt Cordelia's character without the filters normally applied, when a person talks about himself.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way the author relayed information about Aunt Cordelia in chapter 5 was the best way to give this information? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Laura talking to Julie can provide more information about Aunt Cordelia than her talking about herself?
Essay Topic 2
Uncle Haskell tells Julie that Aunt Cordelia exhibits the same characteristics as her own mother, who preferred Haskell to Cordelia. Julie vows that if she ever has children, she will never show favoritism of the boys over the girls.
1. Do you think that boys are preferred over girls in general? Why or why not?
2. If Julie believes that her brother is preferred over herself by her Aunt Cordelia do you think this would affect her feelings towards herself, her brother and her aunt? Why or why not?
3. What do you think Julie should do to make her aunt see her as important as a boy?
Essay Topic 3
Julie tells Brett about the meeting she had had with Alicia and tells Brett that she cannot help him with his homework any longer. Brett's temper explodes at this denial, and rising to go, he tries to coerce Julie to walk with him in the woods.
1. Discuss, with examples, why you think Brett was angry at Julie's refusal.
2. Do you think Brett had a good reason for getting angry? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brett might be dating Julie only for getting help with his homework? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)