|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Haskell tell Julie?
2. When are Jonathan and his wife going to visit Cordelia's home?
3. What is one of Aunt Cordelia's greatest challenges as a schoolteacher?
4. For what is Jonathan's wife known?
5. What has happened on this October day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Danny and Julie figure out?
2. What happens during Alicia's meeting with Julie?
3. How does Julie react to Aunt Cordelia's suggestion?
4. Why is Julie happy the summer between her junior and senior year?
5. Why is Aunt Cordelia upset with Julie's invitations and what does Julie do?
6. How is Julie and Aggie's relationship the rest of the school year and what happens in the summer that bothers Julie?
7. How does Brett react to Julie's response to his request yet what does she agree to do?
8. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
9. What does Julie's last year in elementary school mark in Aunt Cordelia's life?
10. Who does Julie meet as the novel opens and why hasn't she seen them for awhile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The symbolism of the book's title becomes clear by the end of the story in that Julie learns that she has learned many lessons but has many more to learn along the road of her life.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss when you think a person finishes learning in life and why you think it. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think many people say that life is a road one walks? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the literary technique of symbolism by connecting Aunt Cordelia's retirement with the autumn of the year.
1. What do you think is meant by the statement, "autumn of life?"
2. Discuss the life of a human in terms of the four seasons.
3. Do you think everyone goes through the stages of life at the same time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Before the end of the summer, Julie and Chris stumble onto Uncle Haskell's activities involving his golf bag. Following Uncle Haskell into the woods one night, Julie and Chris watch Uncle Haskell retrieve a spade from his bag. Thinking that Uncle Haskell is probably burying all sorts of dead creatures in the woods, Julie and Chris unearth some of the little graves the next day only to discover empty whiskey bottles.
1. Why do you think Uncle Haskell buries his empty whiskey bottles? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
2. After researching intervention with alcoholics explain why you think the family should or shouldn't do one on Uncle Haskell.
3. Do you think it was wrong of Chris and Julie to follow their Uncle Haskell? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,865 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)