|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Julie talk to Uncle Haskell?
2. What does Uncle Haskell say that Aunt Cordelia is doing?
3. Who starts taking a special interest in Julie?
4. Why might Aunt Cordelia not be wanting to see Jonathan?
5. With what is Julie's house filled?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Julie feel vulnerable when she gets up after her mother's funeral?
2. What is a drastic change in Julie's life when she is ten? How is she involved in it?
3. From what type of family did Jonathan come?
4. How does Uncle Haskell help Julie with her loneliness after Chris leaves?
5. What does Julie do when she hears the children say she will be going away and why?
6. Who does Julie meet as the novel opens and why hasn't she seen them for awhile?
7. Where is Julie when she awakens?
8. What challenges Aunt Cordelia most about teaching and what does she encourage Julie and the other girls to do? How do they feel about it?
9. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
10. How is Julie and Aggie's relationship the rest of the school year and what happens in the summer that bothers Julie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julie remembers an old hiding place in a closet under the stairs and she climbs in hoping to avoid seeing Mrs. Peters, Danny, and Carlotta. Mrs. Peters outwits Julie and discovers the girl's hiding place but is unsuccessful at retrieving her. Ultimately, Aunt Cordelia returns home, learns of Julie's hiding place from Mrs. Peters, and climbs in beside Julie where aunt and niece hold each other and sob in their mutual grief.
1. Do you think this is the best thing Aunt Cordelia could have done? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is being difficult by hiding? Why or why not?
3. How do you think you would react and what would you do if you were in Julie's place?
Essay Topic 2
Julie tells Brett about the meeting she had had with Alicia and tells Brett that she cannot help him with his homework any longer. Brett's temper explodes at this denial, and rising to go, he tries to coerce Julie to walk with him in the woods.
1. Discuss, with examples, why you think Brett was angry at Julie's refusal.
2. Do you think Brett had a good reason for getting angry? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brett might be dating Julie only for getting help with his homework? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Julie hesitantly approves of the changes Alicia has made to the house but is appalled to discover that Alicia has converted Laura's old bedroom into an office. Alicia had no way of knowing that Julie coveted that room.
1. Do you think Alicia should have talked with Julie before making changes to the house? Why or why not?
2. Change is always difficult and Julie has had many changes in her young life. Discuss how you see the changes affecting her as a person. Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)