|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Julie feel close to her mother again?
2. Where is Julie Trelling walking as the story opens?
3. When are Jonathan and his wife going to visit Cordelia's home?
4. What do Chris and Julie discover in the woods one day?
5. How does Julie feel towards her aunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aunt Cordelia make her money and what else does she do?
2. What is announced a few weeks after the children discover Uncle Haskell's secret?
3. What happens to Julie when Laura takes her to her room?
4. How do Laura and Julie's father feel about her time with Uncle Haskell and what do they do about it?
5. From what type of family did Jonathan come?
6. How and what do Julie and Chris discover about Uncle Haskell?
7. How does Uncle Haskell help Julie with her loneliness after Chris leaves?
8. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
9. How is Julie and Aggie's relationship the rest of the school year and what happens in the summer that bothers Julie?
10. What do most of the people notice about Jonathan's wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Before the end of the summer, Julie and Chris stumble onto Uncle Haskell's activities involving his golf bag. Following Uncle Haskell into the woods one night, Julie and Chris watch Uncle Haskell retrieve a spade from his bag. Thinking that Uncle Haskell is probably burying all sorts of dead creatures in the woods, Julie and Chris unearth some of the little graves the next day only to discover empty whiskey bottles.
1. Why do you think Uncle Haskell buries his empty whiskey bottles? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
2. After researching intervention with alcoholics explain why you think the family should or shouldn't do one on Uncle Haskell.
3. Do you think it was wrong of Chris and Julie to follow their Uncle Haskell? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The next morning, a note from Uncle Haskell has been slid under Julie's door and she is somewhat relieved, when she reads his words, "I'll say to my sad-faced little Julie: Guilt feelings will do nothing for either you or the Kilpin child. But your compassion as you grow into womanhood may well become immortality for the girl you call Aggie."
1. What do you think Uncle Haskell meant by his statement?
2. Do you think Julie, at the age she was when she received her Uncle's note could understand the full meaning of it? Why or why not?
3. How do you think Aggie's death will change Julie?
Essay Topic 3
After almost two miserable months, Julie wakes one day with the realization that she has finally dismissed Brett from her mind and for the first time in a long time she is happy and peaceful.
1. Why do you think Julie was happy once she finally let go of Brett?
2. Some say that the only way to be happy in the present is to let go of the past. What do you think this means? Do you believe it is true? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the problems a person encounters after breaking up with a boy/girl friend?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)