|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Haskell tell Julie?
2. What does it mean to say her aunt is a spinster?
3. When Julie hits Chris for kissing her and gives him a black eye, what is Aunt Cordelia's response?
4. What bothers the other girls the most about Annie?
5. What is the aunt's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Julie go and what does she do after she is chastised by Aunt Cordelia over hitting Danny?
2. Where is Julie when she awakens?
3. What does Julie do when she hears the children say she will be going away and why?
4. What does Uncle Haskell tell Julie about Aggie's death?
5. How does Uncle Haskell help Julie with her loneliness after Chris leaves?
6. What is announced a few weeks after the children discover Uncle Haskell's secret?
7. Why does Julie envy Laura but what does Laura feel that Julie cannot understand?
8. What can Aunt Cordelia be counted on for and how does Julie feel towards her?
9. Who does Julie meet as the novel opens and why hasn't she seen them for awhile?
10. What does Julie learn about Jonathan from Laura?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julie hesitantly approves of the changes Alicia has made to the house but is appalled to discover that Alicia has converted Laura's old bedroom into an office. Alicia had no way of knowing that Julie coveted that room.
1. Do you think Alicia should have talked with Julie before making changes to the house? Why or why not?
2. Change is always difficult and Julie has had many changes in her young life. Discuss how you see the changes affecting her as a person. Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Cordelia shares some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell, and Julie feels even more gratitude for the abundance of love she has received in her life.
1. Do you think Uncle Haskell's childhood was what propelled him towards alcohol? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think some people have difficult childhoods but don't turn to drugs or alcohol?
3. Do you think Uncle Haskell's drinking was a form of slow suicide to escape memories of childhood? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Before the end of the summer, Julie and Chris stumble onto Uncle Haskell's activities involving his golf bag. Following Uncle Haskell into the woods one night, Julie and Chris watch Uncle Haskell retrieve a spade from his bag. Thinking that Uncle Haskell is probably burying all sorts of dead creatures in the woods, Julie and Chris unearth some of the little graves the next day only to discover empty whiskey bottles.
1. Why do you think Uncle Haskell buries his empty whiskey bottles? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
2. After researching intervention with alcoholics explain why you think the family should or shouldn't do one on Uncle Haskell.
3. Do you think it was wrong of Chris and Julie to follow their Uncle Haskell? Why or why not?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)