|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julie do with her party invitations?
2. Of what is Julie not convinced?
3. What do the children whisper?
4. While Julie is praying at the Cathedral of Four Silver Birches, who arrives?
5. Why is a party being thrown for Julie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Julie and Aggie's relationship the rest of the school year and what happens in the summer that bothers Julie?
2. What can Aunt Cordelia be counted on for and how does Julie feel towards her?
3. What does Uncle Haskell tell Julie about Aggie's death?
4. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
5. What does Julie learn about Jonathan from Laura?
6. From what type of family did Jonathan come?
7. How and what do Julie and Chris discover about Uncle Haskell?
8. What challenges Aunt Cordelia most about teaching and what does she encourage Julie and the other girls to do? How do they feel about it?
9. Why does Julie envy Laura but what does Laura feel that Julie cannot understand?
10. Where is Julie when she awakens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julie experiences not only Chris' departure for boarding school but also Laura's marriage to Bill.
1. What effect do you think these types of events would have on a young girl? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
2. What do you think a person can do to adjust to changes in their life? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
3. Do you think it was fair to Julie for the family to send Chris off to school? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Carlotta thinks that Julie's decision to live at Aunt Cordelia's house during her high school years is a sign of madness, because no boy will want to drive out to the country to pick up Julie for dates. If the distance from town were not enough of a deterrent, surely no boy would want to encounter Aunt Cordelia if he did not have to.
1. Do you that Carlotta is correct? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie should make a decision as to where to live based on whether she will find boys to date? Why or why not?
3. Explain what you would do in Julie's situation.
Essay Topic 3
Julie hesitantly approves of the changes Alicia has made to the house but is appalled to discover that Alicia has converted Laura's old bedroom into an office. Alicia had no way of knowing that Julie coveted that room.
1. Do you think Alicia should have talked with Julie before making changes to the house? Why or why not?
2. Change is always difficult and Julie has had many changes in her young life. Discuss how you see the changes affecting her as a person. Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)