|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Julie visit the Cathedral of Four Silver Birches?
2. Who is Adam?
3. Where does Julie awaken?
4. How does Uncle Haskell excuse himself from the guests?
5. For what is Jonathan's wife known?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the townspeople think of Aunt Cordelia tutoring Jonathan?
2. Where is Julie when she awakens?
3. How does Aunt Cordelia make her money and what else does she do?
4. Where does Julie end up on her first day at her aunt's house and what does her aunt do?
5. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
6. Why does Julie feel vulnerable when she gets up after her mother's funeral?
7. What happens to Julie when Laura takes her to her room?
8. What do Julie and Chris do with Aunt Cordelia every day and what does she do?
9. What does Julie learn about Jonathan from Laura?
10. Who does Julie meet as the novel opens and why hasn't she seen them for awhile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses the literary technique of symbolism by connecting Aunt Cordelia's retirement with the autumn of the year.
1. What do you think is meant by the statement, "autumn of life?"
2. Discuss the life of a human in terms of the four seasons.
3. Do you think everyone goes through the stages of life at the same time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In this chapter, the author relies heavily on the use of memory as Laura recalls the story of Aunt Cordelia and Jonathan Eltwing and relays the story to Julie. In this way, the author can provide more information about Aunt Cordelia's character without the filters normally applied, when a person talks about himself.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way the author relayed information about Aunt Cordelia in chapter 5 was the best way to give this information? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Laura talking to Julie can provide more information about Aunt Cordelia than her talking about herself?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses personification in this chapter, when she gives human characteristics to inanimate objects.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Write a brief description of your bedroom using personification.
3. Why do you think an author uses personification? Do you think it is an effective method of description?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)