|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Chris and Julie do when Laura is getting married?
2. What does Julie do as she explores her aunt's house?
3. Who is moving to town?
4. Why does Julie scream?
5. Who is waiting to welcome Julie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a drastic change in Julie's life when she is ten? How is she involved in it?
2. What does Uncle Haskell tell Julie about Aggie's death?
3. What challenges Aunt Cordelia most about teaching and what does she encourage Julie and the other girls to do? How do they feel about it?
4. Where is Julie when she awakens?
5. What does Aunt Cordelia try to do for the Kilpin family and how does she feel when she returns home?
6. Who is excited about Julie's birthday party?
7. Why does Julie envy Laura but what does Laura feel that Julie cannot understand?
8. What do Julie and Chris do with Aunt Cordelia every day and what does she do?
9. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
10. Who does Julie meet as the novel opens and why hasn't she seen them for awhile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eventually Danny stops dating Eden and declares his love for Julie, telling her that he has loved her ever since they were little children. Julie is in love with Danny too and finally feels secure that she has found her place in the world.
1. Do you think just loving someone can give you a "place in the world?" Why or why not?
2. Do you think Julie is really in love with Danny or is it just a reaction to being alone? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is easier to fall in love with someone you've known your whole life than a recently met person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Cordelia shares some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell, and Julie feels even more gratitude for the abundance of love she has received in her life.
1. Do you think Uncle Haskell's childhood was what propelled him towards alcohol? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think some people have difficult childhoods but don't turn to drugs or alcohol?
3. Do you think Uncle Haskell's drinking was a form of slow suicide to escape memories of childhood? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Julie tells Brett about the meeting she had had with Alicia and tells Brett that she cannot help him with his homework any longer. Brett's temper explodes at this denial, and rising to go, he tries to coerce Julie to walk with him in the woods.
1. Discuss, with examples, why you think Brett was angry at Julie's refusal.
2. Do you think Brett had a good reason for getting angry? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brett might be dating Julie only for getting help with his homework? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)