|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. That summer, what is happening to Aggie?
2. When does Julie feel close to her mother again?
3. What is the main idea of the note that Uncle Haskell slips under Julie's door?
4. For what is Jonathan's wife known?
5. What does it mean to say her aunt is a spinster?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Julie when Laura takes her to her room?
2. What does Julie do when she hears the children say she will be going away and why?
3. What is announced a few weeks after the children discover Uncle Haskell's secret?
4. Where does Julie go and what does she do after she is chastised by Aunt Cordelia over hitting Danny?
5. Where is Julie when she awakens?
6. Where does Julie end up on her first day at her aunt's house and what does her aunt do?
7. What does Julie learn about Jonathan from Laura?
8. What challenges Aunt Cordelia most about teaching and what does she encourage Julie and the other girls to do? How do they feel about it?
9. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
10. What do most of the people notice about Jonathan's wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julie experiences not only Chris' departure for boarding school but also Laura's marriage to Bill.
1. What effect do you think these types of events would have on a young girl? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
2. What do you think a person can do to adjust to changes in their life? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
3. Do you think it was fair to Julie for the family to send Chris off to school? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
After almost two miserable months, Julie wakes one day with the realization that she has finally dismissed Brett from her mind and for the first time in a long time she is happy and peaceful.
1. Why do you think Julie was happy once she finally let go of Brett?
2. Some say that the only way to be happy in the present is to let go of the past. What do you think this means? Do you believe it is true? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the problems a person encounters after breaking up with a boy/girl friend?
Essay Topic 3
The author also uses visual imagery when describing the violent piano playing of the timid Mrs. Eltwing. "Waves of music crashed throughout the rooms of the old house, mountains began to shake and comets to fall under her hands while I could imagine tidal waves rolling in and the wind uprooting trees and sending ships spinning to the bottom of the sea. Then as my heart seemed almost ready to burst with the tumult, her music suddenly subsided and the sky became bright; the storm was over."
1. Explain why the author's description of Mrs. Eltwing helped to show her as a character.
2. What can you guess about Mrs. Eltwing's personality from Chapter 5?
3. How do you think a timid person like Mrs. Eltwing appears to be could be such a violent pianist? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)