|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Julie and Carlotta take some gladiolas?
2. Who is Adam?
3. Who is moving to town?
4. What does Bill ask Julie to overlook about Laura during the visit?
5. What is odd about Mrs. Eltwing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julie do when she hears the children say she will be going away and why?
2. What do most of the people notice about Jonathan's wife?
3. Who does Julie meet as the novel opens and why hasn't she seen them for awhile?
4. What happens when Julie visits Laura and Bill and what does Bill tell her?
5. What challenges Aunt Cordelia most about teaching and what does she encourage Julie and the other girls to do? How do they feel about it?
6. What can Aunt Cordelia be counted on for and how does Julie feel towards her?
7. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
8. What does Uncle Haskell tell Julie about Aggie's death?
9. What did the townspeople think of Aunt Cordelia tutoring Jonathan?
10. What does Jonathan say about Julie and how does she feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julie tells Brett about the meeting she had had with Alicia and tells Brett that she cannot help him with his homework any longer. Brett's temper explodes at this denial, and rising to go, he tries to coerce Julie to walk with him in the woods.
1. Discuss, with examples, why you think Brett was angry at Julie's refusal.
2. Do you think Brett had a good reason for getting angry? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brett might be dating Julie only for getting help with his homework? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In this chapter, the author relies heavily on the use of memory as Laura recalls the story of Aunt Cordelia and Jonathan Eltwing and relays the story to Julie. In this way, the author can provide more information about Aunt Cordelia's character without the filters normally applied, when a person talks about himself.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way the author relayed information about Aunt Cordelia in chapter 5 was the best way to give this information? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Laura talking to Julie can provide more information about Aunt Cordelia than her talking about herself?
Essay Topic 3
After almost two miserable months, Julie wakes one day with the realization that she has finally dismissed Brett from her mind and for the first time in a long time she is happy and peaceful.
1. Why do you think Julie was happy once she finally let go of Brett?
2. Some say that the only way to be happy in the present is to let go of the past. What do you think this means? Do you believe it is true? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the problems a person encounters after breaking up with a boy/girl friend?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)