Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Julie's aunt make amends?
2. Why does Julie feel vulnerable?
3. Who escorts the Eltwings?
4. With what is Julie's house filled?
5. What is odd about Mrs. Eltwing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julie think about Jonathan?
2. What does Aunt Cordelia try to do for the Kilpin family and how does she feel when she returns home?
3. What is a drastic change in Julie's life when she is ten? How is she involved in it?
4. Who is excited about Julie's birthday party?
5. What do Julie and Chris do with Aunt Cordelia every day and what does she do?
6. Why is Julie happy the summer between her junior and senior year?
7. How does Uncle Haskell help Julie with her loneliness after Chris leaves?
8. Why does Julie feel vulnerable when she gets up after her mother's funeral?
9. How did Julie finish high school?
10. What does Julie think about moving back in with her father?
Essay Topic 1
In this chapter, the author relies heavily on the use of memory as Laura recalls the story of Aunt Cordelia and Jonathan Eltwing and relays the story to Julie. In this way, the author can provide more information about Aunt Cordelia's character without the filters normally applied, when a person talks about himself.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way the author relayed information about Aunt Cordelia in chapter 5 was the best way to give this information? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Laura talking to Julie can provide more information about Aunt Cordelia than her talking about herself?
Essay Topic 2
After almost two miserable months, Julie wakes one day with the realization that she has finally dismissed Brett from her mind and for the first time in a long time she is happy and peaceful.
1. Why do you think Julie was happy once she finally let go of Brett?
2. Some say that the only way to be happy in the present is to let go of the past. What do you think this means? Do you believe it is true? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the problems a person encounters after breaking up with a boy/girl friend?
Essay Topic 3
Before the end of the summer, Julie and Chris stumble onto Uncle Haskell's activities involving his golf bag. Following Uncle Haskell into the woods one night, Julie and Chris watch Uncle Haskell retrieve a spade from his bag. Thinking that Uncle Haskell is probably burying all sorts of dead creatures in the woods, Julie and Chris unearth some of the little graves the next day only to discover empty whiskey bottles.
1. Why do you think Uncle Haskell buries his empty whiskey bottles? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
2. After researching intervention with alcoholics explain why you think the family should or shouldn't do one on Uncle Haskell.
3. Do you think it was wrong of Chris and Julie to follow their Uncle Haskell? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)