|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Julie's aunt make amends?
2. The next day, what does Aunt Cordelia show Julie?
3. About what does Julie talk to Uncle Haskell?
4. When Julie hits Chris for kissing her and gives him a black eye, what is Aunt Cordelia's response?
5. Why does Julie's dad try to keep her away from Haskell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aunt Cordelia try to do for the Kilpin family and how does she feel when she returns home?
2. What happens to Julie when Laura takes her to her room?
3. What do Julie and Chris do with Aunt Cordelia every day and what does she do?
4. Why does Julie envy Laura but what does Laura feel that Julie cannot understand?
5. Why is Aunt Cordelia upset with Julie's invitations and what does Julie do?
6. How do Laura and Julie's father feel about her time with Uncle Haskell and what do they do about it?
7. How and what do Julie and Chris discover about Uncle Haskell?
8. Where is Julie when she awakens?
9. What does Uncle Haskell tell Julie about Aggie's death?
10. What challenges Aunt Cordelia most about teaching and what does she encourage Julie and the other girls to do? How do they feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julie hesitantly approves of the changes Alicia has made to the house but is appalled to discover that Alicia has converted Laura's old bedroom into an office. Alicia had no way of knowing that Julie coveted that room.
1. Do you think Alicia should have talked with Julie before making changes to the house? Why or why not?
2. Change is always difficult and Julie has had many changes in her young life. Discuss how you see the changes affecting her as a person. Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Julie experiences not only Chris' departure for boarding school but also Laura's marriage to Bill.
1. What effect do you think these types of events would have on a young girl? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
2. What do you think a person can do to adjust to changes in their life? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
3. Do you think it was fair to Julie for the family to send Chris off to school? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author brings to closure the foreshadowing used at the incident of Katy Eltwing's panic attack at the old creek bridge earlier in the book.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement?
2. Explain why or why not you thought the incident of Katy at the bridge was important to the story.
3. Do you think the panic attack Katy had at the bridge meant she could see the future? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)