|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Julie rise early one morning?
(a) To make the entire family a fancy breakfast.
(b) To ride over to Danny's to show him her acceptance letter.
(c) To go tell her uncle about her success.
(d) To see the sunrise for some inspiration for writing.
2. What does Katy tell Jonathan?
(a) That she wants to stay at Cordelia's house.
(b) That the "golden-haired man" found her, and she was no longer afraid.
(c) That she wants to play music again.
(d) That she is never going to like the country.
3. What do Julie's feelings of alienation prompt her to do?
(a) Ask to go to a boarding school.
(b) Talk to Aunt Cordelia.
(c) Talk to Uncle Haskell.
(d) Run away to the city.
4. What discovery appalls Julie?
(a) That her dad plans to have more children with Alicia.
(b) That Aunt Cordelia is secretly seeing Jonathan.
(c) That Uncle Haskell has married a Mexican woman.
(d) To learn that Alicia has converted the room Julie wants into an office.
5. What does Brett do when he and Julie are done talking?
(a) Slaps her in anger.
(b) Tries to coerce her into walking in the woods with him.
(c) Leaves immediately.
(d) Tells her he understands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Uncle Haskell need a diversion?
2. What will happen if Julie continues to help her boyfriend?
3. Who else comes for a summer visit?
4. What does Julie hear people whispering?
5. What is Brett upset about in English class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julie's family do about Julie's sadness?
2. How does Katy's story end?
3. How does Julie's luck with boys change in her junior year and how does her family feel about it?
4. What do Danny and Julie figure out?
5. What does Brett do in English class and how is Julie involved?
6. How does Katy respond to living in the country?
7. What event mars some of Julie's joy at success?
8. What does Julie tell Brett when she sees him the night of her meeting with Alicia?
9. What does Julie discuss with Aunt Cordelia and what is the result?
10. How does Julie handle being hurt by what she thinks is Aunt Cordelia's rejection?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)