|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Haskell play for Katy?
(a) A phonograph.
(b) Some classical recordings.
(c) An old guitar.
(d) Some halting songs on the piano which Katy can no longer play.
2. How does Julie respond to Uncle Haskell's situation?
(a) She decides not to bother him with her amateur hobby.
(b) She wants him to go to New York for treatment.
(c) She pretends there is nothing wrong.
(d) She becomes despondent.
3. What discovery appalls Julie?
(a) That her dad plans to have more children with Alicia.
(b) To learn that Alicia has converted the room Julie wants into an office.
(c) That Aunt Cordelia is secretly seeing Jonathan.
(d) That Uncle Haskell has married a Mexican woman.
4. What is Haskell doing for Cordelia?
(b) Washing her feet.
(c) Reading to her.
(d) Playing the piano.
5. What does Julie secretly think?
(a) That Aunt Cordelia is still a little bit in love with Jonathan.
(b) That her father is not happy.
(c) That Uncle Haskell dislikes Jonathan.
(d) That Jonathan is still a little bit in love with Aunt Cordelia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers they are in love?
2. Why does Haskell eventually refuse to come to Jonathan's home?
3. Why does Brett come over later that night?
4. What makes Julie start thinking of staying with Aunt Cordelia?
5. Why does Julie rise early one morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brett react to Julie's response to his request yet what does she agree to do?
2. Why is Julie's friendship with her uncle important?
3. What does Julie think about Jonathan?
4. What does Carlotta think of Julie's decision to live with Aunt Cordelia through high school?
5. How does Katy respond to living in the country?
6. How does Julie handle being hurt by what she thinks is Aunt Cordelia's rejection?
7. What does Julie's last year in elementary school mark in Aunt Cordelia's life?
8. How does Katy's story end?
9. What does Julie tell Brett when she sees him the night of her meeting with Alicia?
10. What does Julie's family do about Julie's sadness?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)