|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Aunt Cordelia enlist the aid of Julie and Chris?
(a) To feed the chickens.
(b) To help her plan lessons for the other children.
(c) To milk the cows.
(d) To clean the schoolroom each night.
2. Of what is Julie not convinced?
(a) That Bill really cares what Julie thinks.
(b) That Bill loves Laura as much as Julie does.
(c) That she still has a prominent place in Laura's life.
(d) That Laura is really that uncomfortable in her pregnancy.
3. What does it mean to say her aunt is a spinster?
(a) She spins wool and cotton for a living.
(b) She is very thin.
(c) She is quite elderly.
(d) She has never been married.
4. How does Uncle Haskell excuse himself from the guests?
(a) By saying he needs something a little stronger than wine.
(b) By saying that he is a bit bored with the conversation.
(c) By saying he has to go work on his book.
(d) By saying he is obligated to help the neighbor with his sick horse.
5. Who does Chris call?
(b) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Chris going?
2. What does Julie vow?
3. What seems ironic about Aggie in the coffin?
4. How does Laura's getting married change Julie's life?
5. Who is waiting to welcome Julie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Julie feel vulnerable when she gets up after her mother's funeral?
2. Where is Julie when she awakens?
3. What is announced a few weeks after the children discover Uncle Haskell's secret?
4. What news arrives towards the end of the summer?
5. How does Aunt Cordelia make her money and what else does she do?
6. What did the townspeople think of Aunt Cordelia tutoring Jonathan?
7. What does Julie do when she hears the children say she will be going away and why?
8. What challenges Aunt Cordelia most about teaching and what does she encourage Julie and the other girls to do? How do they feel about it?
9. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
10. Why is Aunt Cordelia upset with Julie's invitations and what does Julie do?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)