|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relationship is Jonathan Eltwing to Aunt Cordelia?
(a) They are second cousins.
(b) They were on opposing debate teams during their high school years.
(c) Aunt Cordelia helps him to study for his college entrance exams.
(d) Aunt Cordielia has not yet met Eltwing.
2. What does Aunt Cordelia do as Julie cleans the dishes?
(a) Rakes and burns leaves most of the night.
(b) Sits in her rocker and cries.
(c) Looks through old letters from Jonathan.
(d) Goes to sleep.
3. What impact does this hostility have on the person in question #65?
(a) The person does not speak to Julie for the rest of the school year.
(b) The person goes and buries another bottle of whiskey.
(c) The person confronts Julie about it.
(d) The person just shrugs it off.
4. How much of Laura's time is taken up when Julie comes to visit her?
(a) Working at the drugstore.
(b) Sleeping because she is having a difficult pregnancy.
(c) Helping her husband with his studies.
(d) Caring for her baby.
5. Who comes to live at Aunt Cordelia's house with Julie?
(a) Her brother Chris.
(b) Her cousin Mary Jane.
(c) Her brother Chris and sister Laura.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aunt Cordelia get the bulk of her income?
2. What do Chris and Julie do when Laura is getting married?
3. What does Julie vow?
4. That summer, what is happening to Aggie?
5. Why does Julie feel vulnerable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Julie end up on her first day at her aunt's house and what does her aunt do?
2. Why did Aunt Cordelia decide to host a birthday party for Julie?
3. What do Julie and Chris do with Aunt Cordelia every day and what does she do?
4. What does Uncle Haskell tell Julie about Aggie's death?
5. What do most of the people notice about Jonathan's wife?
6. Who does Julie meet as the novel opens and why hasn't she seen them for awhile?
7. What can Aunt Cordelia be counted on for and how does Julie feel towards her?
8. What does Aunt Cordelia try to do for the Kilpin family and how does she feel when she returns home?
9. How does Aunt Cordelia make her money and what else does she do?
10. How does Uncle Haskell help Julie with her loneliness after Chris leaves?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)