|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Julie tell her fears about her and Laura?
(b) A teacher.
(c) Aunt Cordelia.
(d) A kind train conductor.
2. What is the main idea of the note that Uncle Haskell slips under Julie's door?
(a) He intends to slip a note under her door but does not.
(b) That staying or going from the farm, Julie is always there in spirit.
(c) That whether one chooses goodness or meanness, they are still loved by God.
(d) If Julie learns compassion from her guilt about Aggie, then Aggie will be immortal.
3. Where is Julie Trelling walking as the story opens?
(a) Towards some neighborhood children.
(b) In the hallway at school.
(c) In the mall.
(d) In the woods behind her house.
4. What does Julie's aunt do when she finds Julie hiding?
(a) Admonishes Julie.
(b) Tells Julie she can stay in there as long as she wants.
(c) Coaxes Julie out with the promise of a trip to the zoo.
(d) Crawls in with Julie and holds her and sobs.
5. How does Aunt Cordelia get the bulk of her income?
(a) Through farm revenues.
(b) Tutoring other children.
(c) An inheritance.
(d) Through teaching.
Short Answer Questions
1. That summer, what is happening to Aggie?
2. How do Julie and the others respond?
3. Why does Julie feel vulnerable?
4. What does Jonathan tell his wife?
5. What are two of Aunt Cordelia's traits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Julie envy Laura but what does Laura feel that Julie cannot understand?
2. Where is Julie when she awakens?
3. Where does Julie end up on her first day at her aunt's house and what does her aunt do?
4. What does Julie do when she hears the children say she will be going away and why?
5. What can Aunt Cordelia be counted on for and how does Julie feel towards her?
6. What is a drastic change in Julie's life when she is ten? How is she involved in it?
7. How is Julie and Aggie's relationship the rest of the school year and what happens in the summer that bothers Julie?
8. What challenges Aunt Cordelia most about teaching and what does she encourage Julie and the other girls to do? How do they feel about it?
9. Who does Julie meet as the novel opens and why hasn't she seen them for awhile?
10. What does Julie learn about Jonathan from Laura?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)