|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the little school where Cordelia teaches being closed?
(a) Because Cordelia wants to retire.
(b) The building is not up to code.
(c) There is not enough space for all the children.
(d) So that the country children can have the benefit of an education in a city school.
2. How does Julie respond to Uncle Haskell's situation?
(a) She decides not to bother him with her amateur hobby.
(b) She wants him to go to New York for treatment.
(c) She becomes despondent.
(d) She pretends there is nothing wrong.
3. What does Julie tell Brett?
(a) About the other girls being jealous.
(b) About her talk with Alicia.
(c) That she is going to live with her sister.
(d) About her aunt's disapproval.
4. Where does Uncle Haskell prefer to be instead in with the noisy family?
(a) The quiet of the woods.
(b) Anyway but in the house.
(c) The quiet of the carriage house.
(d) The quiet of the church.
5. Who picks up Julie on her way home from school?
(c) Uncle Haskell.
6. Where has Chris been before the summer?
(b) At Laura's house.
(c) In New York looking for a job.
(d) At his dad's house.
7. How does Aunt Cordelia respond?
(a) Aunt Cordelia is very pleased that Julie chooses to remain living with her during her high school years.
(b) Adament that Julie belongs with her father.
(c) Hesitant about Julie staying there.
(d) Indecisive and says she will think about it.
8. What convinces Julie to stay at Aunt Cordelia's?
(a) She doesn't like to be a built-in babysitter.
(b) She walks in on Alicia and her father in an amorous embrace.
(c) She and her dad seem like strangers.
(d) She and Alicia have a fight about the office.
9. Where does Julie anticipate moving?
(a) To boarding school.
(b) To her former room at her dad's house.
(c) To the downstairs bedroom in Cordelia's home.
(d) Into Laura's old room at her dad's house.
10. Why does Julie rise early one morning?
(a) To go tell her uncle about her success.
(b) To ride over to Danny's to show him her acceptance letter.
(c) To make the entire family a fancy breakfast.
(d) To see the sunrise for some inspiration for writing.
11. To whom does Julie turn for advice on her new hobby?
(a) Uncle Haskell.
(c) Her father.
(d) Aunt Cordelia.
12. To whom does Julie defend her relationship with Brett?
(a) The other girls.
(b) No one.
(c) Her father, aunt, and Alicia.
(d) Her brother Chris.
13. Why does Brett come over later that night?
(a) To apologize for his behavior in English class.
(b) For help with his homework.
(c) To walk with Julie in the woods.
(d) To get a free dinner.
14. What does Haskell take time to do?
(a) Listen to Jonathan.
(b) Make Julie a shadowbox.
(c) Drive Julie to visit Laura.
(d) Listen to Katy.
15. What makes Julie start thinking of staying with Aunt Cordelia?
(a) Because Uncle Haskell seems so sad.
(b) Because Laura's room is no longer available.
(c) Because Julie will miss her friends too much.
(d) Because Aunt Cordelia seems so sad.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Julie begin spending more time?
2. What ends after the night Brett loses his temper?
3. What will happen if Julie continues to help her boyfriend?
4. About whom are rumors being said?
5. What has an especially bad end?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)