|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Julie look forward?
(a) Staying at Laura's for the summer.
(b) Leaving the isolation of Aunt Cordelia's farm.
(c) Living at a boarding school.
(d) Spending more time with her father every day.
2. What does Julie assume Aunt Cordelia feels?
(a) Excitement about having Julie for the summer months at least.
(b) Happy that she will soon no longer be burdened with raising Julie.
(c) Sadness about Jonathan.
(d) Sadness at the prospect of Julie leaving.
3. Who does Brett begin to date?
(b) No one; he continues to try to get Julie to get back with him.
4. What does Brett do when he and Julie are done talking?
(a) Tries to coerce her into walking in the woods with him.
(b) Tells her he understands.
(c) Slaps her in anger.
(d) Leaves immediately.
5. How is Katy's declining health exacerbated?
(a) By her hysterical outbursts.
(b) By her refusal to eat.
(c) By her refusal to get out of bed.
(d) By the medicine that supposedly is helping her.
6. To whom does Julie defend her relationship with Brett?
(a) Her brother Chris.
(b) Her father, aunt, and Alicia.
(c) The other girls.
(d) No one.
7. Who joins Julie doing things in the summer?
(a) Aunt Cordelia.
(b) Her dad.
(d) Her brother Chris.
8. What will happen if Julie continues to help her boyfriend?
(a) Nothing; she makes him do the writing.
(b) Brett will fail the class, and Julie will be sent to the dean's office for punishment.
(c) She might have to be put in another English class.
(d) Brett will get a good grade while Julie will fail.
9. How does Aunt Cordelia respond?
(a) Indecisive and says she will think about it.
(b) Adament that Julie belongs with her father.
(c) Aunt Cordelia is very pleased that Julie chooses to remain living with her during her high school years.
(d) Hesitant about Julie staying there.
10. To whom does Julie turn for advice on her new hobby?
(a) Aunt Cordelia.
(b) Uncle Haskell.
(d) Her father.
11. What does not come about as Jonathan had hoped?
(a) That Katy and Cordelia would become good friends.
(b) That Katy would divorce him.
(c) Living in the country does not have the peaceful influence on Katy.
(d) That Katy would resume her music.
12. What does Jonathan do on many evenings?
(a) Has a few drinks with Haskell.
(b) Seeks out the comfort of Aunt Cordelia's big house as a retreat from the stress of his own life.
(c) Works late to avoid his wife.
(d) Goes to talk to the priest about his wife.
13. How long is it before Julie feels happy again after the breakup with Brett?
(a) Two days.
(b) Five or six months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two months.
14. Why does Uncle Haskell call Julie down from upstairs one evening?
(a) To help him bury some more bottles.
(b) To finish the dishes she had left in the sink.
(c) To help him with Katy who he finds wandering in the woods.
(d) To sing a song he's been trying to remember.
15. After Katy's trauma in the woods where Haskell rescues her, what occurs between Katy and Haskell?
(a) They become friends.
(b) Haskell says he wants nothing to do with Katy's eccentricities.
(d) Katy cannot bear the sight of Haskell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brett upset about in English class?
2. What does Jonathan often have to do?
3. What is the cause of Uncle Haskell's problem?
4. About what is Julie annoyed with recent meetings with her father?
5. What advice does Danny offer Julie?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)