|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what is Julie wondering?
(a) About whether she will go to boarding school.
(b) About how Aunt Cordelia will manage the housework without her.
(c) About her move back home.
(d) About what will happen to her pony.
2. Why does Brett come over later that night?
(a) For help with his homework.
(b) To walk with Julie in the woods.
(c) To get a free dinner.
(d) To apologize for his behavior in English class.
3. How does Julie help Alicia?
(a) In teaching her how to grow vegetables.
(b) In babysitting Alicia's two small children.
(c) By shopping with her and carrying the packages.
(d) In some of the redecorating of the house.
4. About what is Julie annoyed with recent meetings with her father?
(a) That he seems distracted and does not pay attention to her.
(b) That Alicia Allison is accompanying him.
(c) That he has canceled several scheduled visits at the last moment.
(d) That he has not mentioned her coming home.
5. What ends after the night Brett loses his temper?
(a) Uncle Haskell's respect for Brett.
(b) Aunt Cordelia treating Julie like a minor.
(c) He ends the relationship with Julie.
(d) Brett's passing English class ends.
6. What does Haskell take time to do?
(a) Listen to Jonathan.
(b) Listen to Katy.
(c) Make Julie a shadowbox.
(d) Drive Julie to visit Laura.
7. What coincides with Julie's last year of elementary school?
(a) Uncle Haskell's death.
(b) Laura's third daughter is born.
(c) Aunt Cordelia's last year of teaching.
(d) Julie's move back home.
8. Who does Brett begin to date?
(c) No one; he continues to try to get Julie to get back with him.
9. What does Haskell play for Katy?
(a) An old guitar.
(b) A phonograph.
(c) Some halting songs on the piano which Katy can no longer play.
(d) Some classical recordings.
10. What does Laura's former bedroom overlook?
(a) Main street.
(b) A garden.
(c) The Hurley woods.
(d) The railroad tracks.
11. Why does Julie rise early one morning?
(a) To go tell her uncle about her success.
(b) To ride over to Danny's to show him her acceptance letter.
(c) To make the entire family a fancy breakfast.
(d) To see the sunrise for some inspiration for writing.
12. Why are all the girls envious?
(a) That Chris is her brother.
(b) That her dad introduces Julie to college boys.
(c) When Brett selects Julie for his girlfriend.
(d) That Julie is so beautiful.
13. What does Julie begin to do in her senior year?
(a) Play the violin.
14. To whom does Julie turn for advice on her new hobby?
(a) Her father.
(b) Aunt Cordelia.
(c) Uncle Haskell.
15. How does the family feel about Julie's success as a writer?
(a) They tell her not to let it go to her head.
(b) They are happy for her but think she is wasting her time.
(c) They say that she'll never make a living as a writer.
(d) The entire family supports her efforts and celebrates with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Julie's friends think she is crazy for wanting to stay at Aunt Cordelia's house during high school?
2. Who discovers they are in love?
3. What discovery appalls Julie?
4. What reason does Cordelia give for declining a teaching position in the school where the children will be going?
5. How does Julie's luck change with the guys?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)