|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Julie's luck change with the guys?
(a) She becomes a cheerleader.
(b) The proverbial "boy next door" comes home from boarding school.
(c) Her brother Chris starts attending the high school and introduces her to guys.
(d) She meets a boy named Brett Kingsman who enrolls in school when his father is transferred to town.
2. Who joins Julie doing things in the summer?
(a) Her brother Chris.
(b) Aunt Cordelia.
(c) Her dad.
3. What do Julie's feelings of alienation prompt her to do?
(a) Run away to the city.
(b) Ask to go to a boarding school.
(c) Talk to Uncle Haskell.
(d) Talk to Aunt Cordelia.
4. Where is one of Julie's stories published?
(a) In the New Yorker.
(b) In Reader's Digest.
(c) In Life.
(d) In a university magazine.
5. What does Julie secretly think?
(a) That her father is not happy.
(b) That Aunt Cordelia is still a little bit in love with Jonathan.
(c) That Jonathan is still a little bit in love with Aunt Cordelia.
(d) That Uncle Haskell dislikes Jonathan.
6. What does Julie hear people whispering?
(a) That Julie's father is moving to the farm.
(b) That Julie is too much for Aunt Cordelia to handle.
(c) That Aunt Cordelia is seeing Jonathan.
(d) That Uncle Haskell is in trouble with the law.
7. Why does Brett come over later that night?
(a) For help with his homework.
(b) To apologize for his behavior in English class.
(c) To walk with Julie in the woods.
(d) To get a free dinner.
8. Why does Uncle Haskell need a diversion?
(a) He is dying from a brain tumor.
(b) He is dying from lung cancer.
(c) He has been rejected by a woman he hoped to marry.
(d) He is dying from cirrhosis of the liver.
9. What advice does Danny offer Julie?
(a) To learn how to cook for the evenuality of being a wife.
(b) To go live with Laura and Bill for her senior year.
(c) To start applying to colleges now.
(d) To stay away from Brett.
10. Where is Uncle Haskell's body found?
(a) In his truck.
(b) Slumped over in a church pew.
(c) In his bed in the carriage house.
(d) In the water near the old creek bridge.
11. What amazes Jonathan about Katy and Haskell?
(a) That Katy has a calming influence on Haskell.
(b) That Katy normally does not allow anyone but Jonathan near her or to help her.
(c) That Haskell does not drink around Katy.
(d) That they look so much alike.
12. What will happen if Julie continues to help her boyfriend?
(a) Nothing; she makes him do the writing.
(b) Brett will get a good grade while Julie will fail.
(c) Brett will fail the class, and Julie will be sent to the dean's office for punishment.
(d) She might have to be put in another English class.
13. How does the family feel about Julie's success as a writer?
(a) They tell her not to let it go to her head.
(b) The entire family supports her efforts and celebrates with her.
(c) They are happy for her but think she is wasting her time.
(d) They say that she'll never make a living as a writer.
14. What has an especially bad end?
(a) Uncle Haskell who freezes to death in the woods while drunk.
(b) Julie's junior year.
(c) Brett who dies in a car crash when angry and drunk.
(d) Julie's relationship to Carlotta.
15. About what does Brett seem most upset?
(a) That the other girls are talking about hiim.
(b) That Julie will no longer help him with his homework.
(c) That Julie defends her aunt.
(d) That she is taking her horse with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Julie defend her relationship with Brett?
2. How does Julie help Alicia?
3. Who does Brett begin to date?
4. What happens in the Spring?
5. What is Haskell doing for Cordelia?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)