|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ends after the night Brett loses his temper?
(a) Brett's passing English class ends.
(b) He ends the relationship with Julie.
(c) Aunt Cordelia treating Julie like a minor.
(d) Uncle Haskell's respect for Brett.
2. What does Haskell do for Katy's funeral instead of attending the service?
(a) Reads poetry in the words.
(b) Stays in bed.
(c) Plays two songs over and over on the piano.
(d) Gets drunk.
3. What advice does Danny offer Julie?
(a) To stay away from Brett.
(b) To start applying to colleges now.
(c) To learn how to cook for the evenuality of being a wife.
(d) To go live with Laura and Bill for her senior year.
4. About what is Julie wondering?
(a) About her move back home.
(b) About what will happen to her pony.
(c) About how Aunt Cordelia will manage the housework without her.
(d) About whether she will go to boarding school.
5. How does Julie's luck change with the guys?
(a) She becomes a cheerleader.
(b) Her brother Chris starts attending the high school and introduces her to guys.
(c) The proverbial "boy next door" comes home from boarding school.
(d) She meets a boy named Brett Kingsman who enrolls in school when his father is transferred to town.
6. What does Julie tell Brett?
(a) About her aunt's disapproval.
(b) About her talk with Alicia.
(c) That she is going to live with her sister.
(d) About the other girls being jealous.
7. How does Julie respond to Uncle Haskell's situation?
(a) She pretends there is nothing wrong.
(b) She becomes despondent.
(c) She decides not to bother him with her amateur hobby.
(d) She wants him to go to New York for treatment.
8. What is the cause of Uncle Haskell's problem?
(a) She married someone else.
(d) He thinks from chemicals used in the war.
9. What were the college guys more interested in than in Julie?
(b) Their studies.
(c) The girls on campus.
(d) Their hometown sweethearts.
10. Why does Haskell eventually refuse to come to Jonathan's home?
(a) He can no longer watch Katy in this condition.
(b) He believes Katy will let go and die if he isn't there to give her hope.
(c) He thinks Jonathan is abusing Katy.
(d) He thinks Katy is doing this for his attention.
11. What does Katy seem to find soothing?
(a) Her husband's voice telling her everything is alright.
(b) Going to the church and praying for hours a day.
(c) The calm demeanor of Uncle Haskell.
(d) Julie has not met Katy again since the first dinner.
12. What were Julie and Brett's little walks normally?
(a) Private talk time.
(b) Time for discussing school assignments.
(c) Time to kiss and hold hands.
(d) Time to enjoy the natural environment.
13. To what does Julie look forward?
(a) Living at a boarding school.
(b) Leaving the isolation of Aunt Cordelia's farm.
(c) Staying at Laura's for the summer.
(d) Spending more time with her father every day.
14. What happens to Julie's feelings towards Alicia eventually?
(a) She becomes competitive for her father's attention with Alicia.
(b) She remains indifferent.
(c) She becomes more hostile.
(d) She warms to her and enjoys her company.
15. Why does Aunt Cordelia summon Uncle Haskell to have Brett leave?
(a) She fears Brett's temper.
(b) She is not sure if Brett knows the woods well enough in the dark.
(c) She thinks Brett needs a man-to-man talk.
(d) She thinks it's too late to walk in the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julie assume Aunt Cordelia feels?
2. What has an especially bad end?
3. Who discovers they are in love?
4. What does Julie begin to do in her senior year?
5. What does Aunt Cordelia say about Julie and Uncle Haskell?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)