|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Haskell do for Katy's funeral instead of attending the service?
(a) Plays two songs over and over on the piano.
(b) Stays in bed.
(c) Gets drunk.
(d) Reads poetry in the words.
2. About what is Julie wondering?
(a) About whether she will go to boarding school.
(b) About what will happen to her pony.
(c) About her move back home.
(d) About how Aunt Cordelia will manage the housework without her.
3. What does Aunt Cordelia say about Julie and Uncle Haskell?
(a) That he is old and ready to go.
(b) It is good for Uncle Haskell to have some purpose at this point in his life.
(c) That Julie must face reality about him eventually.
(d) That New York would be too far for the family to care for him.
4. What makes Julie start thinking of staying with Aunt Cordelia?
(a) Because Julie will miss her friends too much.
(b) Because Aunt Cordelia seems so sad.
(c) Because Laura's room is no longer available.
(d) Because Uncle Haskell seems so sad.
5. Why are all the girls envious?
(a) When Brett selects Julie for his girlfriend.
(b) That Julie is so beautiful.
(c) That her dad introduces Julie to college boys.
(d) That Chris is her brother.
6. Why does Alicia want to speak to Julie after class?
(a) To tell her that she must stop doing Brett's English papers.
(b) To tell her she has heard some unsavory things about Brett.
(c) To ask how her English thesis is coming along.
(d) To tell her she is barely making a "C" in class.
7. What were Julie and Brett's little walks normally?
(a) Time to kiss and hold hands.
(b) Private talk time.
(c) Time for discussing school assignments.
(d) Time to enjoy the natural environment.
8. Why does Brett come over later that night?
(a) To apologize for his behavior in English class.
(b) For help with his homework.
(c) To get a free dinner.
(d) To walk with Julie in the woods.
9. What does Laura's former bedroom overlook?
(a) A garden.
(b) The Hurley woods.
(c) The railroad tracks.
(d) Main street.
10. About what is Julie annoyed with recent meetings with her father?
(a) That Alicia Allison is accompanying him.
(b) That he has canceled several scheduled visits at the last moment.
(c) That he seems distracted and does not pay attention to her.
(d) That he has not mentioned her coming home.
11. How does Julie's luck change with the guys?
(a) Her brother Chris starts attending the high school and introduces her to guys.
(b) She meets a boy named Brett Kingsman who enrolls in school when his father is transferred to town.
(c) The proverbial "boy next door" comes home from boarding school.
(d) She becomes a cheerleader.
12. Why is the little school where Cordelia teaches being closed?
(a) The building is not up to code.
(b) So that the country children can have the benefit of an education in a city school.
(c) Because Cordelia wants to retire.
(d) There is not enough space for all the children.
13. Why does Jonathan sometimes call Haskell to his home?
(a) Because Uncle Haskell is the only person who has a calming influence on Katy.
(b) To do repair work.
(c) To eat some of Katy's famous Cajun cooking.
(d) To help him edit his novel.
14. Why does Haskell eventually refuse to come to Jonathan's home?
(a) He thinks Jonathan is abusing Katy.
(b) He believes Katy will let go and die if he isn't there to give her hope.
(c) He can no longer watch Katy in this condition.
(d) He thinks Katy is doing this for his attention.
15. What does Brett do when he and Julie are done talking?
(a) Tries to coerce her into walking in the woods with him.
(b) Leaves immediately.
(c) Tells her he understands.
(d) Slaps her in anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brett upset about in English class?
2. How does Julie respond to Uncle Haskell's situation?
3. Why does Uncle Haskell call Julie down from upstairs one evening?
4. What does Julie secretly think?
5. What discovery appalls Julie?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)