|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Julie's social life consist her first two years of high school?
(b) The high school band.
(c) Of attending college programs with her father.
(d) School plays.
2. What does Jonathan often have to do?
(a) Find someone to sit with Katy.
(b) Lightly slap Katy when she is in hysterics.
(c) Leave work to return home to console his hysterical wife.
(d) Give Katy calming medicine.
3. How is Katy's declining health exacerbated?
(a) By her refusal to get out of bed.
(b) By her hysterical outbursts.
(c) By her refusal to eat.
(d) By the medicine that supposedly is helping her.
4. Why does Uncle Haskell call Julie down from upstairs one evening?
(a) To sing a song he's been trying to remember.
(b) To help him bury some more bottles.
(c) To finish the dishes she had left in the sink.
(d) To help him with Katy who he finds wandering in the woods.
5. What advice does Danny offer Julie?
(a) To start applying to colleges now.
(b) To stay away from Brett.
(c) To go live with Laura and Bill for her senior year.
(d) To learn how to cook for the evenuality of being a wife.
6. To whom does Julie turn for advice on her new hobby?
(b) Aunt Cordelia.
(c) Uncle Haskell.
(d) Her father.
7. What amazes Jonathan about Katy and Haskell?
(a) That Katy normally does not allow anyone but Jonathan near her or to help her.
(b) That Haskell does not drink around Katy.
(c) That Katy has a calming influence on Haskell.
(d) That they look so much alike.
8. About what is Julie wondering?
(a) About whether she will go to boarding school.
(b) About her move back home.
(c) About what will happen to her pony.
(d) About how Aunt Cordelia will manage the housework without her.
9. What does Brett do when he and Julie are done talking?
(a) Tells her he understands.
(b) Tries to coerce her into walking in the woods with him.
(c) Slaps her in anger.
(d) Leaves immediately.
10. What does Laura's former bedroom overlook?
(a) A garden.
(b) The Hurley woods.
(c) Main street.
(d) The railroad tracks.
11. What reason does Cordelia give for declining a teaching position in the school where the children will be going?
(a) She has to stay and care for her ill aunts.
(b) She is too set in her ways to adapt to the rules of a new school system.
(c) She was planning to retire that year anyway.
(d) She wants to return to fulltime farming.
12. What does Julie tell Brett?
(a) About her aunt's disapproval.
(b) About the other girls being jealous.
(c) That she is going to live with her sister.
(d) About her talk with Alicia.
13. What does Aunt Cordelia share with Julie?
(a) Some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell.
(b) Some of Uncle Haskell's childhood writings.
(c) A bottle of wine to celebrate Uncle Haskell's life.
(d) Why Uncle Haskell never marries.
14. What does Katy tell Jonathan?
(a) That the "golden-haired man" found her, and she was no longer afraid.
(b) That she wants to play music again.
(c) That she wants to stay at Cordelia's house.
(d) That she is never going to like the country.
15. How does Aunt Cordelia respond?
(a) Aunt Cordelia is very pleased that Julie chooses to remain living with her during her high school years.
(b) Indecisive and says she will think about it.
(c) Adament that Julie belongs with her father.
(d) Hesitant about Julie staying there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Uncle Haskell's body found?
2. About whom are rumors being said?
3. What is Haskell doing for Cordelia?
4. Where does Julie anticipate moving?
5. What does Julie begin to do in her senior year?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)