|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Haskell take time to do?
(a) Make Julie a shadowbox.
(b) Drive Julie to visit Laura.
(c) Listen to Katy.
(d) Listen to Jonathan.
2. What happens in the Spring?
(a) Julie's father marries Alicia.
(b) Aunt Cordelia dies.
(c) Laura announces she is pregnant again.
(d) Uncle Haskell is confined to his bed.
3. Why does Uncle Haskell need a diversion?
(a) He is dying from lung cancer.
(b) He is dying from a brain tumor.
(c) He is dying from cirrhosis of the liver.
(d) He has been rejected by a woman he hoped to marry.
4. What does Julie hear people whispering?
(a) That Aunt Cordelia is seeing Jonathan.
(b) That Uncle Haskell is in trouble with the law.
(c) That Julie's father is moving to the farm.
(d) That Julie is too much for Aunt Cordelia to handle.
5. How does Julie respond to Uncle Haskell's situation?
(a) She wants him to go to New York for treatment.
(b) She decides not to bother him with her amateur hobby.
(c) She becomes despondent.
(d) She pretends there is nothing wrong.
6. About whom are rumors being said?
(a) Carlota and Jimmy.
(b) Brett and Aimlee.
(c) Brett and Carlotta.
(d) Carolota and Brandon.
7. After Katy's trauma in the woods where Haskell rescues her, what occurs between Katy and Haskell?
(a) They become friends.
(b) Haskell says he wants nothing to do with Katy's eccentricities.
(c) Katy cannot bear the sight of Haskell.
8. How accurate are Carlotta's predictions about the boys?
(a) Carlotta made no predictions.
(b) Julie has one or two suitors every semester, so she's wasn't completely accurate.
(c) Amazingly accurate for the first two years of Julie's high school.
(d) Completely inaccurate as Julie has more suitors than any other girl.
9. What has an especially bad end?
(a) Julie's relationship to Carlotta.
(b) Brett who dies in a car crash when angry and drunk.
(c) Julie's junior year.
(d) Uncle Haskell who freezes to death in the woods while drunk.
10. What does Julie secretly think?
(a) That her father is not happy.
(b) That Aunt Cordelia is still a little bit in love with Jonathan.
(c) That Jonathan is still a little bit in love with Aunt Cordelia.
(d) That Uncle Haskell dislikes Jonathan.
11. Of what does Julie's social life consist her first two years of high school?
(a) Of attending college programs with her father.
(c) The high school band.
(d) School plays.
12. To what does Julie look forward?
(a) Spending more time with her father every day.
(b) Staying at Laura's for the summer.
(c) Leaving the isolation of Aunt Cordelia's farm.
(d) Living at a boarding school.
13. What ends after the night Brett loses his temper?
(a) Uncle Haskell's respect for Brett.
(b) Aunt Cordelia treating Julie like a minor.
(c) Brett's passing English class ends.
(d) He ends the relationship with Julie.
14. What does Jonathan do on many evenings?
(a) Works late to avoid his wife.
(b) Seeks out the comfort of Aunt Cordelia's big house as a retreat from the stress of his own life.
(c) Has a few drinks with Haskell.
(d) Goes to talk to the priest about his wife.
15. How long is it before Julie feels happy again after the breakup with Brett?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) Five or six months.
(d) Two days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the college guys more interested in than in Julie?
2. How does Julie's luck change with the guys?
3. What does Haskell do for Katy's funeral instead of attending the service?
4. Why do Julie's friends think she is crazy for wanting to stay at Aunt Cordelia's house during high school?
5. About what is Julie wondering?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)