|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jonathan do on many evenings?
(a) Works late to avoid his wife.
(b) Goes to talk to the priest about his wife.
(c) Seeks out the comfort of Aunt Cordelia's big house as a retreat from the stress of his own life.
(d) Has a few drinks with Haskell.
2. What do Julie's feelings of alienation prompt her to do?
(a) Talk to Uncle Haskell.
(b) Ask to go to a boarding school.
(c) Talk to Aunt Cordelia.
(d) Run away to the city.
3. Why does Julie rise early one morning?
(a) To ride over to Danny's to show him her acceptance letter.
(b) To go tell her uncle about her success.
(c) To see the sunrise for some inspiration for writing.
(d) To make the entire family a fancy breakfast.
4. Why is the little school where Cordelia teaches being closed?
(a) There is not enough space for all the children.
(b) Because Cordelia wants to retire.
(c) So that the country children can have the benefit of an education in a city school.
(d) The building is not up to code.
5. About what is Julie annoyed with recent meetings with her father?
(a) That he seems distracted and does not pay attention to her.
(b) That he has canceled several scheduled visits at the last moment.
(c) That Alicia Allison is accompanying him.
(d) That he has not mentioned her coming home.
6. Who arrives at Cordelia's house to find Katy there?
(a) The doctor.
7. What does Julie secretly think?
(a) That Aunt Cordelia is still a little bit in love with Jonathan.
(b) That Jonathan is still a little bit in love with Aunt Cordelia.
(c) That Uncle Haskell dislikes Jonathan.
(d) That her father is not happy.
8. After Katy's trauma in the woods where Haskell rescues her, what occurs between Katy and Haskell?
(a) Katy cannot bear the sight of Haskell.
(c) They become friends.
(d) Haskell says he wants nothing to do with Katy's eccentricities.
9. What does Aunt Cordelia share with Julie?
(a) Some of Uncle Haskell's childhood writings.
(b) Why Uncle Haskell never marries.
(c) Some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell.
(d) A bottle of wine to celebrate Uncle Haskell's life.
10. What has an especially bad end?
(a) Uncle Haskell who freezes to death in the woods while drunk.
(b) Brett who dies in a car crash when angry and drunk.
(c) Julie's relationship to Carlotta.
(d) Julie's junior year.
11. Where has Chris been before the summer?
(a) At Laura's house.
(b) At his dad's house.
(c) In New York looking for a job.
12. Who else comes for a summer visit?
(b) Julie's other aunt.
(c) Alicia and Julie's dad.
(d) Laura, Bill, and little Julie.
13. What is Haskell doing for Cordelia?
(a) Playing the piano.
(c) Reading to her.
(d) Washing her feet.
14. What does Katy seem to find soothing?
(a) Julie has not met Katy again since the first dinner.
(b) The calm demeanor of Uncle Haskell.
(c) Going to the church and praying for hours a day.
(d) Her husband's voice telling her everything is alright.
15. What does Aunt Cordelia say about Julie and Uncle Haskell?
(a) That he is old and ready to go.
(b) It is good for Uncle Haskell to have some purpose at this point in his life.
(c) That New York would be too far for the family to care for him.
(d) That Julie must face reality about him eventually.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the driver irritated with Julie?
2. What does Haskell do for Katy's funeral instead of attending the service?
3. To whom does Julie defend her relationship with Brett?
4. What does Brett do when he and Julie are done talking?
5. What does Julie hear people whispering?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)