|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laura's former bedroom overlook?
(a) A garden.
(b) The Hurley woods.
(c) The railroad tracks.
(d) Main street.
2. How accurate are Carlotta's predictions about the boys?
(a) Julie has one or two suitors every semester, so she's wasn't completely accurate.
(b) Amazingly accurate for the first two years of Julie's high school.
(c) Carlotta made no predictions.
(d) Completely inaccurate as Julie has more suitors than any other girl.
3. What does Haskell take time to do?
(a) Drive Julie to visit Laura.
(b) Listen to Jonathan.
(c) Listen to Katy.
(d) Make Julie a shadowbox.
4. How long is it before Julie feels happy again after the breakup with Brett?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Five or six months.
(d) Two months.
5. How is Katy's declining health exacerbated?
(a) By the medicine that supposedly is helping her.
(b) By her hysterical outbursts.
(c) By her refusal to get out of bed.
(d) By her refusal to eat.
6. How does Aunt Cordelia respond?
(a) Hesitant about Julie staying there.
(b) Indecisive and says she will think about it.
(c) Adament that Julie belongs with her father.
(d) Aunt Cordelia is very pleased that Julie chooses to remain living with her during her high school years.
7. Why does Julie rise early one morning?
(a) To see the sunrise for some inspiration for writing.
(b) To ride over to Danny's to show him her acceptance letter.
(c) To make the entire family a fancy breakfast.
(d) To go tell her uncle about her success.
8. After Katy's trauma in the woods where Haskell rescues her, what occurs between Katy and Haskell?
(a) They become friends.
(c) Haskell says he wants nothing to do with Katy's eccentricities.
(d) Katy cannot bear the sight of Haskell.
9. What convinces Julie to stay at Aunt Cordelia's?
(a) She walks in on Alicia and her father in an amorous embrace.
(b) She doesn't like to be a built-in babysitter.
(c) She and her dad seem like strangers.
(d) She and Alicia have a fight about the office.
10. What does Aunt Cordelia share with Julie?
(a) Why Uncle Haskell never marries.
(b) Some of Uncle Haskell's childhood writings.
(c) Some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell.
(d) A bottle of wine to celebrate Uncle Haskell's life.
11. What does not come about as Jonathan had hoped?
(a) That Katy and Cordelia would become good friends.
(b) Living in the country does not have the peaceful influence on Katy.
(c) That Katy would resume her music.
(d) That Katy would divorce him.
12. Why does Uncle Haskell need a diversion?
(a) He is dying from cirrhosis of the liver.
(b) He is dying from lung cancer.
(c) He has been rejected by a woman he hoped to marry.
(d) He is dying from a brain tumor.
13. What does Julie tell Brett?
(a) About her aunt's disapproval.
(b) About the other girls being jealous.
(c) About her talk with Alicia.
(d) That she is going to live with her sister.
14. What coincides with Julie's last year of elementary school?
(a) Aunt Cordelia's last year of teaching.
(b) Uncle Haskell's death.
(c) Laura's third daughter is born.
(d) Julie's move back home.
15. How can those around her tell Julie is feeling better?
(a) She is singing in the shower.
(b) She has a big breakfast and does a lot of housework.
(c) She goes out on a date with a guy named Joseph.
(d) She asks Aunt Cordelia for money for a couple new dresses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julie secretly think?
2. Why is the little school where Cordelia teaches being closed?
3. What does Katy tell Jonathan?
4. How does Julie respond to Uncle Haskell's situation?
5. Who joins Julie doing things in the summer?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)