|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the family feel about Julie's success as a writer?
(a) They are happy for her but think she is wasting her time.
(b) They tell her not to let it go to her head.
(c) They say that she'll never make a living as a writer.
(d) The entire family supports her efforts and celebrates with her.
2. Why is the driver irritated with Julie?
(a) He has heard some mean rumors about her and Brett.
(b) He was afraid for her to walk home alone.
(c) She won't speak to him.
(d) She didn't tell him she was staying after school.
3. What is Haskell doing for Cordelia?
(a) Reading to her.
(c) Playing the piano.
(d) Washing her feet.
4. What does Katy seem to find soothing?
(a) Her husband's voice telling her everything is alright.
(b) Julie has not met Katy again since the first dinner.
(c) Going to the church and praying for hours a day.
(d) The calm demeanor of Uncle Haskell.
5. Where does Julie anticipate moving?
(a) To the downstairs bedroom in Cordelia's home.
(b) To boarding school.
(c) Into Laura's old room at her dad's house.
(d) To her former room at her dad's house.
6. How does Julie respond to Uncle Haskell's situation?
(a) She becomes despondent.
(b) She pretends there is nothing wrong.
(c) She wants him to go to New York for treatment.
(d) She decides not to bother him with her amateur hobby.
7. Why does Alicia want to speak to Julie after class?
(a) To ask how her English thesis is coming along.
(b) To tell her she is barely making a "C" in class.
(c) To tell her she has heard some unsavory things about Brett.
(d) To tell her that she must stop doing Brett's English papers.
8. What do Julie's feelings of alienation prompt her to do?
(a) Ask to go to a boarding school.
(b) Talk to Uncle Haskell.
(c) Talk to Aunt Cordelia.
(d) Run away to the city.
9. About what is Julie annoyed with recent meetings with her father?
(a) That he has not mentioned her coming home.
(b) That he has canceled several scheduled visits at the last moment.
(c) That he seems distracted and does not pay attention to her.
(d) That Alicia Allison is accompanying him.
10. How can those around her tell Julie is feeling better?
(a) She asks Aunt Cordelia for money for a couple new dresses.
(b) She has a big breakfast and does a lot of housework.
(c) She is singing in the shower.
(d) She goes out on a date with a guy named Joseph.
11. Where does Uncle Haskell prefer to be instead in with the noisy family?
(a) The quiet of the woods.
(b) The quiet of the church.
(c) The quiet of the carriage house.
(d) Anyway but in the house.
12. What does Brett do when he and Julie are done talking?
(a) Leaves immediately.
(b) Tries to coerce her into walking in the woods with him.
(c) Tells her he understands.
(d) Slaps her in anger.
13. What does Laura's former bedroom overlook?
(a) A garden.
(b) The railroad tracks.
(c) The Hurley woods.
(d) Main street.
14. About what does Brett seem most upset?
(a) That Julie defends her aunt.
(b) That she is taking her horse with her.
(c) That Julie will no longer help him with his homework.
(d) That the other girls are talking about hiim.
15. Who does Brett begin to date?
(c) No one; he continues to try to get Julie to get back with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julie begin to do in her senior year?
2. What coincides with Julie's last year of elementary school?
3. What does Haskell play for Katy?
4. Why does Julie rise early one morning?
5. Why does Uncle Haskell need a diversion?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)