|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has an especially bad end?
(a) Brett who dies in a car crash when angry and drunk.
(b) Julie's junior year.
(c) Uncle Haskell who freezes to death in the woods while drunk.
(d) Julie's relationship to Carlotta.
2. Why does Brett come over later that night?
(a) To apologize for his behavior in English class.
(b) To walk with Julie in the woods.
(c) For help with his homework.
(d) To get a free dinner.
3. What does Julie tell Brett?
(a) About her aunt's disapproval.
(b) That she is going to live with her sister.
(c) About the other girls being jealous.
(d) About her talk with Alicia.
4. Of what does Julie's social life consist her first two years of high school?
(b) School plays.
(c) Of attending college programs with her father.
(d) The high school band.
5. What does Jonathan do on many evenings?
(a) Seeks out the comfort of Aunt Cordelia's big house as a retreat from the stress of his own life.
(b) Has a few drinks with Haskell.
(c) Works late to avoid his wife.
(d) Goes to talk to the priest about his wife.
6. What does Brett do when he and Julie are done talking?
(a) Leaves immediately.
(b) Slaps her in anger.
(c) Tells her he understands.
(d) Tries to coerce her into walking in the woods with him.
7. Where has Chris been before the summer?
(b) At his dad's house.
(c) At Laura's house.
(d) In New York looking for a job.
8. Why does Uncle Haskell need a diversion?
(a) He is dying from lung cancer.
(b) He is dying from a brain tumor.
(c) He is dying from cirrhosis of the liver.
(d) He has been rejected by a woman he hoped to marry.
9. What does not come about as Jonathan had hoped?
(a) That Katy would divorce him.
(b) That Katy and Cordelia would become good friends.
(c) Living in the country does not have the peaceful influence on Katy.
(d) That Katy would resume her music.
10. What does Katy tell Jonathan?
(a) That the "golden-haired man" found her, and she was no longer afraid.
(b) That she wants to play music again.
(c) That she wants to stay at Cordelia's house.
(d) That she is never going to like the country.
11. What does Katy seem to find soothing?
(a) Julie has not met Katy again since the first dinner.
(b) The calm demeanor of Uncle Haskell.
(c) Going to the church and praying for hours a day.
(d) Her husband's voice telling her everything is alright.
12. Who picks up Julie on her way home from school?
(d) Uncle Haskell.
13. Why does Uncle Haskell call Julie down from upstairs one evening?
(a) To help him bury some more bottles.
(b) To help him with Katy who he finds wandering in the woods.
(c) To sing a song he's been trying to remember.
(d) To finish the dishes she had left in the sink.
14. What happens in the Spring?
(a) Julie's father marries Alicia.
(b) Uncle Haskell is confined to his bed.
(c) Aunt Cordelia dies.
(d) Laura announces she is pregnant again.
15. What advice does Danny offer Julie?
(a) To learn how to cook for the evenuality of being a wife.
(b) To start applying to colleges now.
(c) To stay away from Brett.
(d) To go live with Laura and Bill for her senior year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Brett begin to date?
2. Who else comes for a summer visit?
3. What makes Julie start thinking of staying with Aunt Cordelia?
4. What does Julie secretly think?
5. With whom does Julie begin spending more time?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)