|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is one of Julie's stories published?
(a) In Reader's Digest.
(b) In Life.
(c) In a university magazine.
(d) In the New Yorker.
2. What does Aunt Cordelia say about Julie and Uncle Haskell?
(a) That he is old and ready to go.
(b) That New York would be too far for the family to care for him.
(c) That Julie must face reality about him eventually.
(d) It is good for Uncle Haskell to have some purpose at this point in his life.
3. Why is the driver irritated with Julie?
(a) He has heard some mean rumors about her and Brett.
(b) He was afraid for her to walk home alone.
(c) She won't speak to him.
(d) She didn't tell him she was staying after school.
4. What has an especially bad end?
(a) Julie's relationship to Carlotta.
(b) Julie's junior year.
(c) Brett who dies in a car crash when angry and drunk.
(d) Uncle Haskell who freezes to death in the woods while drunk.
5. What were the college guys more interested in than in Julie?
(b) Their studies.
(c) Their hometown sweethearts.
(d) The girls on campus.
6. How does Julie's luck change with the guys?
(a) She meets a boy named Brett Kingsman who enrolls in school when his father is transferred to town.
(b) Her brother Chris starts attending the high school and introduces her to guys.
(c) The proverbial "boy next door" comes home from boarding school.
(d) She becomes a cheerleader.
7. To what does Julie look forward?
(a) Living at a boarding school.
(b) Spending more time with her father every day.
(c) Staying at Laura's for the summer.
(d) Leaving the isolation of Aunt Cordelia's farm.
8. Who discovers they are in love?
(a) Cordelia and Matthew.
(b) Danny and Eden.
(c) Julie and Danny.
(d) Brett and Julie.
9. What does Katy tell Jonathan?
(a) That she is never going to like the country.
(b) That she wants to stay at Cordelia's house.
(c) That the "golden-haired man" found her, and she was no longer afraid.
(d) That she wants to play music again.
10. Of what does Julie's social life consist her first two years of high school?
(a) The high school band.
(b) Of attending college programs with her father.
(c) School plays.
11. To whom does Julie turn for advice on her new hobby?
(a) Aunt Cordelia.
(c) Uncle Haskell.
(d) Her father.
12. Where has Chris been before the summer?
(b) At Laura's house.
(c) In New York looking for a job.
(d) At his dad's house.
13. What does Aunt Cordelia share with Julie?
(a) A bottle of wine to celebrate Uncle Haskell's life.
(b) Some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell.
(c) Why Uncle Haskell never marries.
(d) Some of Uncle Haskell's childhood writings.
14. About what does Brett seem most upset?
(a) That the other girls are talking about hiim.
(b) That Julie will no longer help him with his homework.
(c) That Julie defends her aunt.
(d) That she is taking her horse with her.
15. Why does Uncle Haskell need a diversion?
(a) He is dying from cirrhosis of the liver.
(b) He is dying from lung cancer.
(c) He has been rejected by a woman he hoped to marry.
(d) He is dying from a brain tumor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aunt Cordelia summon Uncle Haskell to have Brett leave?
2. What were Julie and Brett's little walks normally?
3. How does Julie respond to Uncle Haskell's situation?
4. What does Katy seem to find soothing?
5. What does Julie hear people whispering?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)