|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Katy tell Jonathan?
(a) That she wants to play music again.
(b) That she is never going to like the country.
(c) That the "golden-haired man" found her, and she was no longer afraid.
(d) That she wants to stay at Cordelia's house.
2. Of what does Julie's social life consist her first two years of high school?
(a) The high school band.
(b) School plays.
(c) Of attending college programs with her father.
3. What does Julie hear people whispering?
(a) That Julie's father is moving to the farm.
(b) That Julie is too much for Aunt Cordelia to handle.
(c) That Uncle Haskell is in trouble with the law.
(d) That Aunt Cordelia is seeing Jonathan.
4. Where does Uncle Haskell prefer to be instead in with the noisy family?
(a) The quiet of the church.
(b) The quiet of the carriage house.
(c) Anyway but in the house.
(d) The quiet of the woods.
5. How does Julie's luck change with the guys?
(a) The proverbial "boy next door" comes home from boarding school.
(b) She becomes a cheerleader.
(c) She meets a boy named Brett Kingsman who enrolls in school when his father is transferred to town.
(d) Her brother Chris starts attending the high school and introduces her to guys.
6. What does Aunt Cordelia say about Julie and Uncle Haskell?
(a) That he is old and ready to go.
(b) That New York would be too far for the family to care for him.
(c) It is good for Uncle Haskell to have some purpose at this point in his life.
(d) That Julie must face reality about him eventually.
7. What does Aunt Cordelia share with Julie?
(a) A bottle of wine to celebrate Uncle Haskell's life.
(b) Some of Uncle Haskell's childhood writings.
(c) Why Uncle Haskell never marries.
(d) Some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell.
8. Why is the little school where Cordelia teaches being closed?
(a) Because Cordelia wants to retire.
(b) The building is not up to code.
(c) There is not enough space for all the children.
(d) So that the country children can have the benefit of an education in a city school.
9. Who joins Julie doing things in the summer?
(a) Aunt Cordelia.
(b) Her dad.
(c) Her brother Chris.
10. Who discovers they are in love?
(a) Cordelia and Matthew.
(b) Danny and Eden.
(c) Brett and Julie.
(d) Julie and Danny.
11. What is the cause of Uncle Haskell's problem?
(a) She married someone else.
(b) He thinks from chemicals used in the war.
12. About whom are rumors being said?
(a) Brett and Carlotta.
(b) Carolota and Brandon.
(c) Carlota and Jimmy.
(d) Brett and Aimlee.
13. What discovery appalls Julie?
(a) That her dad plans to have more children with Alicia.
(b) That Aunt Cordelia is secretly seeing Jonathan.
(c) That Uncle Haskell has married a Mexican woman.
(d) To learn that Alicia has converted the room Julie wants into an office.
14. How does Julie respond to Uncle Haskell's situation?
(a) She pretends there is nothing wrong.
(b) She decides not to bother him with her amateur hobby.
(c) She becomes despondent.
(d) She wants him to go to New York for treatment.
15. Why does Uncle Haskell call Julie down from upstairs one evening?
(a) To help him bury some more bottles.
(b) To sing a song he's been trying to remember.
(c) To finish the dishes she had left in the sink.
(d) To help him with Katy who he finds wandering in the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is one of Julie's stories published?
2. About what is Julie annoyed with recent meetings with her father?
3. Who else comes for a summer visit?
4. What were the college guys more interested in than in Julie?
5. Why does Alicia want to speak to Julie after class?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)