|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Haskell eventually refuse to come to Jonathan's home?
(a) He believes Katy will let go and die if he isn't there to give her hope.
(b) He can no longer watch Katy in this condition.
(c) He thinks Jonathan is abusing Katy.
(d) He thinks Katy is doing this for his attention.
2. What happens in the Spring?
(a) Aunt Cordelia dies.
(b) Julie's father marries Alicia.
(c) Uncle Haskell is confined to his bed.
(d) Laura announces she is pregnant again.
3. Where has Chris been before the summer?
(b) At his dad's house.
(c) At Laura's house.
(d) In New York looking for a job.
4. What were the college guys more interested in than in Julie?
(a) Their studies.
(c) Their hometown sweethearts.
(d) The girls on campus.
5. Who picks up Julie on her way home from school?
(a) Uncle Haskell.
6. Who joins Julie doing things in the summer?
(b) Aunt Cordelia.
(c) Her brother Chris.
(d) Her dad.
7. Why does Julie rise early one morning?
(a) To go tell her uncle about her success.
(b) To see the sunrise for some inspiration for writing.
(c) To make the entire family a fancy breakfast.
(d) To ride over to Danny's to show him her acceptance letter.
8. What coincides with Julie's last year of elementary school?
(a) Julie's move back home.
(b) Aunt Cordelia's last year of teaching.
(c) Laura's third daughter is born.
(d) Uncle Haskell's death.
9. What amazes Jonathan about Katy and Haskell?
(a) That they look so much alike.
(b) That Haskell does not drink around Katy.
(c) That Katy has a calming influence on Haskell.
(d) That Katy normally does not allow anyone but Jonathan near her or to help her.
10. How can those around her tell Julie is feeling better?
(a) She goes out on a date with a guy named Joseph.
(b) She has a big breakfast and does a lot of housework.
(c) She is singing in the shower.
(d) She asks Aunt Cordelia for money for a couple new dresses.
11. What is the cause of Uncle Haskell's problem?
(c) He thinks from chemicals used in the war.
(d) She married someone else.
12. Where is Uncle Haskell's body found?
(a) Slumped over in a church pew.
(b) In his truck.
(c) In the water near the old creek bridge.
(d) In his bed in the carriage house.
13. What does Katy seem to find soothing?
(a) Going to the church and praying for hours a day.
(b) The calm demeanor of Uncle Haskell.
(c) Her husband's voice telling her everything is alright.
(d) Julie has not met Katy again since the first dinner.
14. About what is Julie wondering?
(a) About what will happen to her pony.
(b) About whether she will go to boarding school.
(c) About her move back home.
(d) About how Aunt Cordelia will manage the housework without her.
15. Who else comes for a summer visit?
(a) Alicia and Julie's dad.
(b) Laura, Bill, and little Julie.
(c) Julie's other aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Julie respond to Uncle Haskell's situation?
2. What reason does Cordelia give for declining a teaching position in the school where the children will be going?
3. How does Aunt Cordelia respond?
4. What does Jonathan do on many evenings?
5. What does Haskell take time to do?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)