|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Julie respond to Uncle Haskell's situation?
(a) She becomes despondent.
(b) She wants him to go to New York for treatment.
(c) She pretends there is nothing wrong.
(d) She decides not to bother him with her amateur hobby.
2. About what is Julie wondering?
(a) About how Aunt Cordelia will manage the housework without her.
(b) About her move back home.
(c) About what will happen to her pony.
(d) About whether she will go to boarding school.
3. Where do Jonathan and Katy Eltwing move?
(a) To a town about five miles from Aunt Cordelia's town.
(b) To the city nearby.
(c) Into a farm adjacent to Aunt Cordelia's farm.
(d) Into a house about three miles from Aunt Cordelia's house.
4. Where has Chris been before the summer?
(a) At Laura's house.
(b) At his dad's house.
(c) In New York looking for a job.
5. What will happen if Julie continues to help her boyfriend?
(a) Brett will fail the class, and Julie will be sent to the dean's office for punishment.
(b) She might have to be put in another English class.
(c) Nothing; she makes him do the writing.
(d) Brett will get a good grade while Julie will fail.
6. About whom are rumors being said?
(a) Brett and Aimlee.
(b) Brett and Carlotta.
(c) Carolota and Brandon.
(d) Carlota and Jimmy.
7. What were the college guys more interested in than in Julie?
(a) Their studies.
(c) The girls on campus.
(d) Their hometown sweethearts.
8. What does not come about as Jonathan had hoped?
(a) That Katy and Cordelia would become good friends.
(b) Living in the country does not have the peaceful influence on Katy.
(c) That Katy would divorce him.
(d) That Katy would resume her music.
9. Where is one of Julie's stories published?
(a) In Life.
(b) In a university magazine.
(c) In Reader's Digest.
(d) In the New Yorker.
10. Why does Alicia want to speak to Julie after class?
(a) To tell her she has heard some unsavory things about Brett.
(b) To tell her she is barely making a "C" in class.
(c) To tell her that she must stop doing Brett's English papers.
(d) To ask how her English thesis is coming along.
11. What happens in the Spring?
(a) Laura announces she is pregnant again.
(b) Julie's father marries Alicia.
(c) Aunt Cordelia dies.
(d) Uncle Haskell is confined to his bed.
12. Why is the driver irritated with Julie?
(a) He was afraid for her to walk home alone.
(b) She won't speak to him.
(c) She didn't tell him she was staying after school.
(d) He has heard some mean rumors about her and Brett.
13. With whom does Julie begin spending more time?
(a) Her father.
14. Why do Julie's friends think she is crazy for wanting to stay at Aunt Cordelia's house during high school?
(a) Because Uncle Haskell will scare off any potential suitors.
(b) Because Aunt Cordelia will be much stricter than Julie's father.
(c) Because no young man will want to drive out there to date Julie.
(d) Because she won't have a lot of the modern conveniences.
15. Who joins Julie doing things in the summer?
(a) Aunt Cordelia.
(b) Her brother Chris.
(c) Her dad.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is Julie annoyed with recent meetings with her father?
2. Why are all the girls envious?
3. Why does Julie rise early one morning?
4. How does Julie's luck change with the guys?
5. What is the cause of Uncle Haskell's problem?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)