|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Haskell take time to do?
(a) Make Julie a shadowbox.
(b) Drive Julie to visit Laura.
(c) Listen to Katy.
(d) Listen to Jonathan.
2. What is the cause of Uncle Haskell's problem?
(a) She married someone else.
(d) He thinks from chemicals used in the war.
3. Who arrives at Cordelia's house to find Katy there?
(a) The doctor.
4. What does Jonathan do on many evenings?
(a) Goes to talk to the priest about his wife.
(b) Works late to avoid his wife.
(c) Has a few drinks with Haskell.
(d) Seeks out the comfort of Aunt Cordelia's big house as a retreat from the stress of his own life.
5. About whom are rumors being said?
(a) Carlota and Jimmy.
(b) Brett and Aimlee.
(c) Brett and Carlotta.
(d) Carolota and Brandon.
6. About what is Julie annoyed with recent meetings with her father?
(a) That he has not mentioned her coming home.
(b) That Alicia Allison is accompanying him.
(c) That he has canceled several scheduled visits at the last moment.
(d) That he seems distracted and does not pay attention to her.
7. What convinces Julie to stay at Aunt Cordelia's?
(a) She doesn't like to be a built-in babysitter.
(b) She and Alicia have a fight about the office.
(c) She walks in on Alicia and her father in an amorous embrace.
(d) She and her dad seem like strangers.
8. Who else comes for a summer visit?
(a) Laura, Bill, and little Julie.
(c) Julie's other aunt.
(d) Alicia and Julie's dad.
9. What does Haskell do for Katy's funeral instead of attending the service?
(a) Reads poetry in the words.
(b) Gets drunk.
(c) Stays in bed.
(d) Plays two songs over and over on the piano.
10. How long is it before Julie feels happy again after the breakup with Brett?
(a) Five or six months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two months.
11. Why are all the girls envious?
(a) That Chris is her brother.
(b) That Julie is so beautiful.
(c) When Brett selects Julie for his girlfriend.
(d) That her dad introduces Julie to college boys.
12. Why does Alicia want to speak to Julie after class?
(a) To tell her she has heard some unsavory things about Brett.
(b) To tell her she is barely making a "C" in class.
(c) To tell her that she must stop doing Brett's English papers.
(d) To ask how her English thesis is coming along.
13. Why does Uncle Haskell call Julie down from upstairs one evening?
(a) To help him bury some more bottles.
(b) To finish the dishes she had left in the sink.
(c) To help him with Katy who he finds wandering in the woods.
(d) To sing a song he's been trying to remember.
14. What advice does Danny offer Julie?
(a) To start applying to colleges now.
(b) To go live with Laura and Bill for her senior year.
(c) To learn how to cook for the evenuality of being a wife.
(d) To stay away from Brett.
15. What reason does Cordelia give for declining a teaching position in the school where the children will be going?
(a) She is too set in her ways to adapt to the rules of a new school system.
(b) She has to stay and care for her ill aunts.
(c) She was planning to retire that year anyway.
(d) She wants to return to fulltime farming.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in the Spring?
2. What does Katy seem to find soothing?
3. To whom does Julie defend her relationship with Brett?
4. What has an especially bad end?
5. Why does Uncle Haskell need a diversion?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)