|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ends after the night Brett loses his temper?
(a) Aunt Cordelia treating Julie like a minor.
(b) Uncle Haskell's respect for Brett.
(c) Brett's passing English class ends.
(d) He ends the relationship with Julie.
2. What is the cause of Uncle Haskell's problem?
(b) He thinks from chemicals used in the war.
(c) She married someone else.
3. How does the family feel about Julie's success as a writer?
(a) They tell her not to let it go to her head.
(b) They are happy for her but think she is wasting her time.
(c) They say that she'll never make a living as a writer.
(d) The entire family supports her efforts and celebrates with her.
4. What happens to Julie's feelings towards Alicia eventually?
(a) She becomes competitive for her father's attention with Alicia.
(b) She becomes more hostile.
(c) She warms to her and enjoys her company.
(d) She remains indifferent.
5. What does Aunt Cordelia share with Julie?
(a) Why Uncle Haskell never marries.
(b) Some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell.
(c) Some of Uncle Haskell's childhood writings.
(d) A bottle of wine to celebrate Uncle Haskell's life.
6. What makes Julie start thinking of staying with Aunt Cordelia?
(a) Because Laura's room is no longer available.
(b) Because Uncle Haskell seems so sad.
(c) Because Julie will miss her friends too much.
(d) Because Aunt Cordelia seems so sad.
7. What is Brett upset about in English class?
(a) An assignment to work in class.
(b) An assignment to memorize some poetry.
(c) That Julie speaks to another boy.
(d) An assignment on Civil Disobedience.
8. What do Julie's feelings of alienation prompt her to do?
(a) Talk to Aunt Cordelia.
(b) Ask to go to a boarding school.
(c) Run away to the city.
(d) Talk to Uncle Haskell.
9. What happens in the Spring?
(a) Julie's father marries Alicia.
(b) Aunt Cordelia dies.
(c) Uncle Haskell is confined to his bed.
(d) Laura announces she is pregnant again.
10. Who picks up Julie on her way home from school?
(a) Uncle Haskell.
11. Why is the driver irritated with Julie?
(a) He has heard some mean rumors about her and Brett.
(b) She didn't tell him she was staying after school.
(c) He was afraid for her to walk home alone.
(d) She won't speak to him.
12. What does Julie begin to do in her senior year?
(b) Play the violin.
13. Where does Uncle Haskell prefer to be instead in with the noisy family?
(a) The quiet of the church.
(b) The quiet of the carriage house.
(c) Anyway but in the house.
(d) The quiet of the woods.
14. Why does Haskell eventually refuse to come to Jonathan's home?
(a) He can no longer watch Katy in this condition.
(b) He believes Katy will let go and die if he isn't there to give her hope.
(c) He thinks Jonathan is abusing Katy.
(d) He thinks Katy is doing this for his attention.
15. How can those around her tell Julie is feeling better?
(a) She has a big breakfast and does a lot of housework.
(b) She asks Aunt Cordelia for money for a couple new dresses.
(c) She goes out on a date with a guy named Joseph.
(d) She is singing in the shower.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Julie anticipate moving?
2. Who else comes for a summer visit?
3. About what does Brett seem most upset?
4. Why is the little school where Cordelia teaches being closed?
5. What does Aunt Cordelia say about Julie and Uncle Haskell?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)