|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jonathan sometimes call Haskell to his home?
(a) Because Uncle Haskell is the only person who has a calming influence on Katy.
(b) To eat some of Katy's famous Cajun cooking.
(c) To help him edit his novel.
(d) To do repair work.
2. What coincides with Julie's last year of elementary school?
(a) Uncle Haskell's death.
(b) Aunt Cordelia's last year of teaching.
(c) Julie's move back home.
(d) Laura's third daughter is born.
3. What is Haskell doing for Cordelia?
(a) Playing the piano.
(c) Reading to her.
(d) Washing her feet.
4. Why do Julie's friends think she is crazy for wanting to stay at Aunt Cordelia's house during high school?
(a) Because Aunt Cordelia will be much stricter than Julie's father.
(b) Because she won't have a lot of the modern conveniences.
(c) Because Uncle Haskell will scare off any potential suitors.
(d) Because no young man will want to drive out there to date Julie.
5. About what is Julie wondering?
(a) About whether she will go to boarding school.
(b) About how Aunt Cordelia will manage the housework without her.
(c) About her move back home.
(d) About what will happen to her pony.
6. What makes Julie start thinking of staying with Aunt Cordelia?
(a) Because Julie will miss her friends too much.
(b) Because Aunt Cordelia seems so sad.
(c) Because Uncle Haskell seems so sad.
(d) Because Laura's room is no longer available.
7. About what is Julie annoyed with recent meetings with her father?
(a) That he has not mentioned her coming home.
(b) That he seems distracted and does not pay attention to her.
(c) That he has canceled several scheduled visits at the last moment.
(d) That Alicia Allison is accompanying him.
8. Why does Julie rise early one morning?
(a) To see the sunrise for some inspiration for writing.
(b) To ride over to Danny's to show him her acceptance letter.
(c) To make the entire family a fancy breakfast.
(d) To go tell her uncle about her success.
9. Of what does Julie's social life consist her first two years of high school?
(a) The high school band.
(b) School plays.
(c) Of attending college programs with her father.
10. What does Brett do when he and Julie are done talking?
(a) Slaps her in anger.
(b) Tries to coerce her into walking in the woods with him.
(c) Leaves immediately.
(d) Tells her he understands.
11. What has an especially bad end?
(a) Julie's relationship to Carlotta.
(b) Uncle Haskell who freezes to death in the woods while drunk.
(c) Brett who dies in a car crash when angry and drunk.
(d) Julie's junior year.
12. How long is it before Julie feels happy again after the breakup with Brett?
(a) Five or six months.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two weeks.
13. What convinces Julie to stay at Aunt Cordelia's?
(a) She and Alicia have a fight about the office.
(b) She and her dad seem like strangers.
(c) She walks in on Alicia and her father in an amorous embrace.
(d) She doesn't like to be a built-in babysitter.
14. What does Jonathan do on many evenings?
(a) Seeks out the comfort of Aunt Cordelia's big house as a retreat from the stress of his own life.
(b) Has a few drinks with Haskell.
(c) Goes to talk to the priest about his wife.
(d) Works late to avoid his wife.
15. Why does Alicia want to speak to Julie after class?
(a) To tell her she has heard some unsavory things about Brett.
(b) To ask how her English thesis is coming along.
(c) To tell her that she must stop doing Brett's English papers.
(d) To tell her she is barely making a "C" in class.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers they are in love?
2. How does the family feel about Julie's success as a writer?
3. Where has Chris been before the summer?
4. Why is the driver irritated with Julie?
5. Why does Aunt Cordelia summon Uncle Haskell to have Brett leave?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)