|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Katy seem to find soothing?
(a) Going to the church and praying for hours a day.
(b) Her husband's voice telling her everything is alright.
(c) Julie has not met Katy again since the first dinner.
(d) The calm demeanor of Uncle Haskell.
2. What convinces Julie to stay at Aunt Cordelia's?
(a) She walks in on Alicia and her father in an amorous embrace.
(b) She doesn't like to be a built-in babysitter.
(c) She and Alicia have a fight about the office.
(d) She and her dad seem like strangers.
3. What does Haskell do for Katy's funeral instead of attending the service?
(a) Stays in bed.
(b) Gets drunk.
(c) Plays two songs over and over on the piano.
(d) Reads poetry in the words.
4. Of what does Julie's social life consist her first two years of high school?
(b) Of attending college programs with her father.
(c) School plays.
(d) The high school band.
5. How does Julie's luck change with the guys?
(a) Her brother Chris starts attending the high school and introduces her to guys.
(b) The proverbial "boy next door" comes home from boarding school.
(c) She meets a boy named Brett Kingsman who enrolls in school when his father is transferred to town.
(d) She becomes a cheerleader.
6. What coincides with Julie's last year of elementary school?
(a) Uncle Haskell's death.
(b) Laura's third daughter is born.
(c) Aunt Cordelia's last year of teaching.
(d) Julie's move back home.
7. What is the cause of Uncle Haskell's problem?
(a) He thinks from chemicals used in the war.
(c) She married someone else.
8. What does Julie secretly think?
(a) That Jonathan is still a little bit in love with Aunt Cordelia.
(b) That her father is not happy.
(c) That Aunt Cordelia is still a little bit in love with Jonathan.
(d) That Uncle Haskell dislikes Jonathan.
9. What does Julie tell Brett?
(a) About her talk with Alicia.
(b) About the other girls being jealous.
(c) That she is going to live with her sister.
(d) About her aunt's disapproval.
10. What does Laura's former bedroom overlook?
(a) Main street.
(b) The railroad tracks.
(c) A garden.
(d) The Hurley woods.
11. What advice does Danny offer Julie?
(a) To go live with Laura and Bill for her senior year.
(b) To start applying to colleges now.
(c) To stay away from Brett.
(d) To learn how to cook for the evenuality of being a wife.
12. To whom does Julie defend her relationship with Brett?
(a) The other girls.
(b) Her brother Chris.
(c) No one.
(d) Her father, aunt, and Alicia.
13. About whom are rumors being said?
(a) Carlota and Jimmy.
(b) Brett and Aimlee.
(c) Brett and Carlotta.
(d) Carolota and Brandon.
14. What happens to Julie's feelings towards Alicia eventually?
(a) She becomes more hostile.
(b) She becomes competitive for her father's attention with Alicia.
(c) She warms to her and enjoys her company.
(d) She remains indifferent.
15. Why do Julie's friends think she is crazy for wanting to stay at Aunt Cordelia's house during high school?
(a) Because Uncle Haskell will scare off any potential suitors.
(b) Because Aunt Cordelia will be much stricter than Julie's father.
(c) Because she won't have a lot of the modern conveniences.
(d) Because no young man will want to drive out there to date Julie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are all the girls envious?
2. Where is Uncle Haskell's body found?
3. What does Julie begin to do in her senior year?
4. What reason does Cordelia give for declining a teaching position in the school where the children will be going?
5. Who discovers they are in love?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)