|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Haskell take time to do?
(a) Make Julie a shadowbox.
(b) Listen to Katy.
(c) Drive Julie to visit Laura.
(d) Listen to Jonathan.
2. With whom does Julie begin spending more time?
(c) Her father.
3. What does Brett do when he and Julie are done talking?
(a) Leaves immediately.
(b) Slaps her in anger.
(c) Tells her he understands.
(d) Tries to coerce her into walking in the woods with him.
4. What does Jonathan do on many evenings?
(a) Goes to talk to the priest about his wife.
(b) Has a few drinks with Haskell.
(c) Seeks out the comfort of Aunt Cordelia's big house as a retreat from the stress of his own life.
(d) Works late to avoid his wife.
5. What does Julie secretly think?
(a) That Jonathan is still a little bit in love with Aunt Cordelia.
(b) That Aunt Cordelia is still a little bit in love with Jonathan.
(c) That her father is not happy.
(d) That Uncle Haskell dislikes Jonathan.
6. What does Haskell play for Katy?
(a) A phonograph.
(b) Some classical recordings.
(c) An old guitar.
(d) Some halting songs on the piano which Katy can no longer play.
7. Who else comes for a summer visit?
(a) Julie's other aunt.
(b) Laura, Bill, and little Julie.
(c) Alicia and Julie's dad.
8. About whom are rumors being said?
(a) Brett and Carlotta.
(b) Carlota and Jimmy.
(c) Carolota and Brandon.
(d) Brett and Aimlee.
9. About what is Julie wondering?
(a) About her move back home.
(b) About whether she will go to boarding school.
(c) About what will happen to her pony.
(d) About how Aunt Cordelia will manage the housework without her.
10. Why are all the girls envious?
(a) When Brett selects Julie for his girlfriend.
(b) That Chris is her brother.
(c) That her dad introduces Julie to college boys.
(d) That Julie is so beautiful.
11. Why does Aunt Cordelia summon Uncle Haskell to have Brett leave?
(a) She thinks Brett needs a man-to-man talk.
(b) She is not sure if Brett knows the woods well enough in the dark.
(c) She thinks it's too late to walk in the woods.
(d) She fears Brett's temper.
12. What has an especially bad end?
(a) Julie's relationship to Carlotta.
(b) Uncle Haskell who freezes to death in the woods while drunk.
(c) Julie's junior year.
(d) Brett who dies in a car crash when angry and drunk.
13. Where is one of Julie's stories published?
(a) In Reader's Digest.
(b) In the New Yorker.
(c) In Life.
(d) In a university magazine.
14. Why does Haskell eventually refuse to come to Jonathan's home?
(a) He believes Katy will let go and die if he isn't there to give her hope.
(b) He thinks Jonathan is abusing Katy.
(c) He can no longer watch Katy in this condition.
(d) He thinks Katy is doing this for his attention.
15. What happens in the Spring?
(a) Uncle Haskell is confined to his bed.
(b) Julie's father marries Alicia.
(c) Aunt Cordelia dies.
(d) Laura announces she is pregnant again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazes Jonathan about Katy and Haskell?
2. How does the family feel about Julie's success as a writer?
3. How can those around her tell Julie is feeling better?
4. What does Haskell do for Katy's funeral instead of attending the service?
5. What does Julie tell Brett?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)