|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Julie anticipate moving?
(a) To the downstairs bedroom in Cordelia's home.
(b) To boarding school.
(c) To her former room at her dad's house.
(d) Into Laura's old room at her dad's house.
2. About whom are rumors being said?
(a) Carolota and Brandon.
(b) Brett and Carlotta.
(c) Brett and Aimlee.
(d) Carlota and Jimmy.
3. What does Julie secretly think?
(a) That Uncle Haskell dislikes Jonathan.
(b) That her father is not happy.
(c) That Aunt Cordelia is still a little bit in love with Jonathan.
(d) That Jonathan is still a little bit in love with Aunt Cordelia.
4. How does the family feel about Julie's success as a writer?
(a) The entire family supports her efforts and celebrates with her.
(b) They tell her not to let it go to her head.
(c) They say that she'll never make a living as a writer.
(d) They are happy for her but think she is wasting her time.
5. What is Haskell doing for Cordelia?
(a) Playing the piano.
(c) Reading to her.
(d) Washing her feet.
6. What will happen if Julie continues to help her boyfriend?
(a) She might have to be put in another English class.
(b) Brett will get a good grade while Julie will fail.
(c) Nothing; she makes him do the writing.
(d) Brett will fail the class, and Julie will be sent to the dean's office for punishment.
7. With whom does Julie begin spending more time?
(d) Her father.
8. What do Julie's feelings of alienation prompt her to do?
(a) Talk to Uncle Haskell.
(b) Ask to go to a boarding school.
(c) Run away to the city.
(d) Talk to Aunt Cordelia.
9. After Katy's trauma in the woods where Haskell rescues her, what occurs between Katy and Haskell?
(a) Haskell says he wants nothing to do with Katy's eccentricities.
(b) They become friends.
(d) Katy cannot bear the sight of Haskell.
10. Who does Brett begin to date?
(b) No one; he continues to try to get Julie to get back with him.
11. What does Aunt Cordelia share with Julie?
(a) A bottle of wine to celebrate Uncle Haskell's life.
(b) Why Uncle Haskell never marries.
(c) Some of Uncle Haskell's childhood writings.
(d) Some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell.
12. Where does Uncle Haskell prefer to be instead in with the noisy family?
(a) The quiet of the church.
(b) The quiet of the carriage house.
(c) The quiet of the woods.
(d) Anyway but in the house.
13. How accurate are Carlotta's predictions about the boys?
(a) Julie has one or two suitors every semester, so she's wasn't completely accurate.
(b) Carlotta made no predictions.
(c) Amazingly accurate for the first two years of Julie's high school.
(d) Completely inaccurate as Julie has more suitors than any other girl.
14. Why does Uncle Haskell call Julie down from upstairs one evening?
(a) To sing a song he's been trying to remember.
(b) To help him bury some more bottles.
(c) To finish the dishes she had left in the sink.
(d) To help him with Katy who he finds wandering in the woods.
15. About what is Julie wondering?
(a) About what will happen to her pony.
(b) About how Aunt Cordelia will manage the housework without her.
(c) About whether she will go to boarding school.
(d) About her move back home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Haskell do for Katy's funeral instead of attending the service?
2. What has an especially bad end?
3. Where do Jonathan and Katy Eltwing move?
4. Why does Uncle Haskell need a diversion?
5. Why are all the girls envious?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)