|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What coincides with Julie's last year of elementary school?
(a) Julie's move back home.
(b) Laura's third daughter is born.
(c) Aunt Cordelia's last year of teaching.
(d) Uncle Haskell's death.
2. To whom does Julie turn for advice on her new hobby?
(a) Uncle Haskell.
(b) Aunt Cordelia.
(d) Her father.
3. Who arrives at Cordelia's house to find Katy there?
(a) The doctor.
4. What does not come about as Jonathan had hoped?
(a) That Katy would resume her music.
(b) That Katy would divorce him.
(c) That Katy and Cordelia would become good friends.
(d) Living in the country does not have the peaceful influence on Katy.
5. Who does Brett begin to date?
(a) No one; he continues to try to get Julie to get back with him.
6. Where does Uncle Haskell prefer to be instead in with the noisy family?
(a) The quiet of the woods.
(b) Anyway but in the house.
(c) The quiet of the carriage house.
(d) The quiet of the church.
7. What is the cause of Uncle Haskell's problem?
(c) He thinks from chemicals used in the war.
(d) She married someone else.
8. To what does Julie look forward?
(a) Staying at Laura's for the summer.
(b) Leaving the isolation of Aunt Cordelia's farm.
(c) Living at a boarding school.
(d) Spending more time with her father every day.
9. About what is Julie wondering?
(a) About her move back home.
(b) About whether she will go to boarding school.
(c) About how Aunt Cordelia will manage the housework without her.
(d) About what will happen to her pony.
10. Who picks up Julie on her way home from school?
(c) Uncle Haskell.
11. What has an especially bad end?
(a) Julie's relationship to Carlotta.
(b) Julie's junior year.
(c) Uncle Haskell who freezes to death in the woods while drunk.
(d) Brett who dies in a car crash when angry and drunk.
12. Why do Julie's friends think she is crazy for wanting to stay at Aunt Cordelia's house during high school?
(a) Because Aunt Cordelia will be much stricter than Julie's father.
(b) Because Uncle Haskell will scare off any potential suitors.
(c) Because she won't have a lot of the modern conveniences.
(d) Because no young man will want to drive out there to date Julie.
13. How can those around her tell Julie is feeling better?
(a) She is singing in the shower.
(b) She goes out on a date with a guy named Joseph.
(c) She has a big breakfast and does a lot of housework.
(d) She asks Aunt Cordelia for money for a couple new dresses.
14. What happens to Julie's feelings towards Alicia eventually?
(a) She warms to her and enjoys her company.
(b) She becomes competitive for her father's attention with Alicia.
(c) She becomes more hostile.
(d) She remains indifferent.
15. About what does Brett seem most upset?
(a) That Julie defends her aunt.
(b) That the other girls are talking about hiim.
(c) That Julie will no longer help him with his homework.
(d) That she is taking her horse with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Julie defend her relationship with Brett?
2. What does Katy tell Jonathan?
3. What does Haskell play for Katy?
4. How does Aunt Cordelia respond?
5. Why are all the girls envious?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)