|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can those around her tell Julie is feeling better?
(a) She has a big breakfast and does a lot of housework.
(b) She goes out on a date with a guy named Joseph.
(c) She is singing in the shower.
(d) She asks Aunt Cordelia for money for a couple new dresses.
2. What is Haskell doing for Cordelia?
(a) Reading to her.
(b) Washing her feet.
(d) Playing the piano.
3. What does Haskell take time to do?
(a) Drive Julie to visit Laura.
(b) Make Julie a shadowbox.
(c) Listen to Jonathan.
(d) Listen to Katy.
4. What does Jonathan do on many evenings?
(a) Seeks out the comfort of Aunt Cordelia's big house as a retreat from the stress of his own life.
(b) Has a few drinks with Haskell.
(c) Works late to avoid his wife.
(d) Goes to talk to the priest about his wife.
5. To whom does Julie defend her relationship with Brett?
(a) The other girls.
(b) Her brother Chris.
(c) No one.
(d) Her father, aunt, and Alicia.
6. Why is the driver irritated with Julie?
(a) She won't speak to him.
(b) He has heard some mean rumors about her and Brett.
(c) He was afraid for her to walk home alone.
(d) She didn't tell him she was staying after school.
7. What does Aunt Cordelia share with Julie?
(a) A bottle of wine to celebrate Uncle Haskell's life.
(b) Why Uncle Haskell never marries.
(c) Some of the sorrows from the childhood she shared with Uncle Haskell.
(d) Some of Uncle Haskell's childhood writings.
8. Where has Chris been before the summer?
(a) At Laura's house.
(b) In New York looking for a job.
(c) At his dad's house.
9. What do Julie's feelings of alienation prompt her to do?
(a) Run away to the city.
(b) Talk to Aunt Cordelia.
(c) Ask to go to a boarding school.
(d) Talk to Uncle Haskell.
10. What does Brett do when he and Julie are done talking?
(a) Tells her he understands.
(b) Leaves immediately.
(c) Tries to coerce her into walking in the woods with him.
(d) Slaps her in anger.
11. Of what does Julie's social life consist her first two years of high school?
(a) The high school band.
(b) Of attending college programs with her father.
(d) School plays.
12. Why does Uncle Haskell need a diversion?
(a) He has been rejected by a woman he hoped to marry.
(b) He is dying from lung cancer.
(c) He is dying from a brain tumor.
(d) He is dying from cirrhosis of the liver.
13. Why is the little school where Cordelia teaches being closed?
(a) There is not enough space for all the children.
(b) The building is not up to code.
(c) Because Cordelia wants to retire.
(d) So that the country children can have the benefit of an education in a city school.
14. Who does Brett begin to date?
(c) No one; he continues to try to get Julie to get back with him.
15. Who else comes for a summer visit?
(a) Alicia and Julie's dad.
(c) Laura, Bill, and little Julie.
(d) Julie's other aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Haskell play for Katy?
2. Why does Aunt Cordelia summon Uncle Haskell to have Brett leave?
3. To whom does Julie turn for advice on her new hobby?
4. Where do Jonathan and Katy Eltwing move?
5. What does Julie tell Brett?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)