|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Haskell play for Katy?
(a) Some classical recordings.
(b) An old guitar.
(c) A phonograph.
(d) Some halting songs on the piano which Katy can no longer play.
2. Who arrives at Cordelia's house to find Katy there?
(b) The doctor.
3. How does Aunt Cordelia respond?
(a) Aunt Cordelia is very pleased that Julie chooses to remain living with her during her high school years.
(b) Indecisive and says she will think about it.
(c) Adament that Julie belongs with her father.
(d) Hesitant about Julie staying there.
4. To what does Julie look forward?
(a) Leaving the isolation of Aunt Cordelia's farm.
(b) Spending more time with her father every day.
(c) Living at a boarding school.
(d) Staying at Laura's for the summer.
5. With whom does Julie begin spending more time?
(b) Her father.
6. What will happen if Julie continues to help her boyfriend?
(a) Brett will get a good grade while Julie will fail.
(b) She might have to be put in another English class.
(c) Nothing; she makes him do the writing.
(d) Brett will fail the class, and Julie will be sent to the dean's office for punishment.
7. After Katy's trauma in the woods where Haskell rescues her, what occurs between Katy and Haskell?
(b) They become friends.
(c) Katy cannot bear the sight of Haskell.
(d) Haskell says he wants nothing to do with Katy's eccentricities.
8. How does Julie's luck change with the guys?
(a) She meets a boy named Brett Kingsman who enrolls in school when his father is transferred to town.
(b) Her brother Chris starts attending the high school and introduces her to guys.
(c) The proverbial "boy next door" comes home from boarding school.
(d) She becomes a cheerleader.
9. About whom are rumors being said?
(a) Carolota and Brandon.
(b) Brett and Aimlee.
(c) Carlota and Jimmy.
(d) Brett and Carlotta.
10. Who discovers they are in love?
(a) Cordelia and Matthew.
(b) Julie and Danny.
(c) Brett and Julie.
(d) Danny and Eden.
11. Why does Aunt Cordelia summon Uncle Haskell to have Brett leave?
(a) She thinks Brett needs a man-to-man talk.
(b) She thinks it's too late to walk in the woods.
(c) She is not sure if Brett knows the woods well enough in the dark.
(d) She fears Brett's temper.
12. Where do Jonathan and Katy Eltwing move?
(a) To a town about five miles from Aunt Cordelia's town.
(b) Into a farm adjacent to Aunt Cordelia's farm.
(c) To the city nearby.
(d) Into a house about three miles from Aunt Cordelia's house.
13. What discovery appalls Julie?
(a) That Aunt Cordelia is secretly seeing Jonathan.
(b) That Uncle Haskell has married a Mexican woman.
(c) To learn that Alicia has converted the room Julie wants into an office.
(d) That her dad plans to have more children with Alicia.
14. What coincides with Julie's last year of elementary school?
(a) Laura's third daughter is born.
(b) Julie's move back home.
(c) Aunt Cordelia's last year of teaching.
(d) Uncle Haskell's death.
15. Where does Uncle Haskell prefer to be instead in with the noisy family?
(a) The quiet of the carriage house.
(b) The quiet of the church.
(c) Anyway but in the house.
(d) The quiet of the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Haskell eventually refuse to come to Jonathan's home?
2. How long is it before Julie feels happy again after the breakup with Brett?
3. What happens to Julie's feelings towards Alicia eventually?
4. Why do Julie's friends think she is crazy for wanting to stay at Aunt Cordelia's house during high school?
5. Who else comes for a summer visit?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)