|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is one of Julie's stories published?
(a) In the New Yorker.
(b) In Reader's Digest.
(c) In Life.
(d) In a university magazine.
2. What happens in the Spring?
(a) Aunt Cordelia dies.
(b) Uncle Haskell is confined to his bed.
(c) Laura announces she is pregnant again.
(d) Julie's father marries Alicia.
3. What is Haskell doing for Cordelia?
(a) Washing her feet.
(b) Playing the piano.
(c) Reading to her.
4. Who joins Julie doing things in the summer?
(a) Aunt Cordelia.
(b) Her brother Chris.
(d) Her dad.
5. What do Julie's feelings of alienation prompt her to do?
(a) Ask to go to a boarding school.
(b) Run away to the city.
(c) Talk to Aunt Cordelia.
(d) Talk to Uncle Haskell.
6. How can those around her tell Julie is feeling better?
(a) She asks Aunt Cordelia for money for a couple new dresses.
(b) She has a big breakfast and does a lot of housework.
(c) She goes out on a date with a guy named Joseph.
(d) She is singing in the shower.
7. What ends after the night Brett loses his temper?
(a) Brett's passing English class ends.
(b) Uncle Haskell's respect for Brett.
(c) Aunt Cordelia treating Julie like a minor.
(d) He ends the relationship with Julie.
8. Who arrives at Cordelia's house to find Katy there?
(d) The doctor.
9. Why does Jonathan sometimes call Haskell to his home?
(a) Because Uncle Haskell is the only person who has a calming influence on Katy.
(b) To help him edit his novel.
(c) To do repair work.
(d) To eat some of Katy's famous Cajun cooking.
10. How is Katy's declining health exacerbated?
(a) By her hysterical outbursts.
(b) By her refusal to get out of bed.
(c) By the medicine that supposedly is helping her.
(d) By her refusal to eat.
11. Who picks up Julie on her way home from school?
(d) Uncle Haskell.
12. What does Brett do when he and Julie are done talking?
(a) Slaps her in anger.
(b) Leaves immediately.
(c) Tells her he understands.
(d) Tries to coerce her into walking in the woods with him.
13. With whom does Julie begin spending more time?
(b) Her father.
14. What does not come about as Jonathan had hoped?
(a) Living in the country does not have the peaceful influence on Katy.
(b) That Katy would resume her music.
(c) That Katy would divorce him.
(d) That Katy and Cordelia would become good friends.
15. What were the college guys more interested in than in Julie?
(a) Their studies.
(b) Their hometown sweethearts.
(c) The girls on campus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brett upset about in English class?
2. Who discovers they are in love?
3. About what is Julie annoyed with recent meetings with her father?
4. What advice does Danny offer Julie?
5. Who does Brett begin to date?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)