|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Laura meet?
(a) A man who dated their mom in high school.
(b) Bill Strohmer.
(c) No one in particular.
(d) Julie's best friend at school.
2. What is Laura and Bill's baby named?
3. What do the children whisper?
(a) That Julie's mother is a witch.
(b) That Julie is mean.
(c) That Julie is not going to be living there much longer.
(d) That Julie's cat attacked someone.
4. When does Aggie die?
(a) It takes her another week to die.
(b) She nevers gets fully well but lives another couple years.
(c) The morning after Julie visits her.
(d) She miraculously recovers.
5. What does Julie do as she and Aunt Cordelia are talking?
(a) Hugs her aunt and tells her she is beautiful.
(b) Listens and lets her aunt tell her the story of Jonathan.
(c) Julie apologizes for her behavior earlier in the afternoon.
(d) Says she looks nothing like her aunt.
6. What does Aunt Cordelia do as Julie cleans the dishes?
(a) Looks through old letters from Jonathan.
(b) Sits in her rocker and cries.
(c) Rakes and burns leaves most of the night.
(d) Goes to sleep.
7. How does Aunt Cordelia get the bulk of her income?
(a) Through teaching.
(b) An inheritance.
(c) Through farm revenues.
(d) Tutoring other children.
8. Upon what does Aunt Cordelia instruct Chris and Julie?
(b) Posture and transitions.
(c) The art of good conversation.
9. Why do the kids run off before they see what their uncle is doing?
(a) They hear their friends calling them.
(b) He shames them into running off.
(c) They hear their aunt Cordelia calling them for dinner.
(d) It's time to go to the schoolroom.
10. Who starts taking a special interest in Julie?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) The neighbor's dog.
(c) Her dad.
(d) Her best friend.
11. What is one of Aunt Cordelia's greatest challenges as a schoolteacher?
(a) How to help Annie Kilpin slow down her writing to make it legible.
(b) To treat all students fairly.
(c) How to help a retarded student, Annie Kilpin.
(d) To get the other children to like Annie Kilpin.
12. What is Julie's response?
(a) She agrees readily.
(b) She refuses to invite the person.
(c) She says she will think about it.
(d) She agrees having not thought about doing so but is happy her aunt reminds her.
13. What are two of Aunt Cordelia's traits?
(a) Strictness and neatness.
(b) Meticulous and well-ordered.
(c) Pleasant demeanor and sense of humor.
(d) Disciplined and educated.
14. What do Chris and Julie do when Laura is getting married?
(a) Chris is unable to come home from school so Julie is too sad to go to the wedding.
(b) They sneak away and don't go to the wedding.
(c) They participate in the wedding.
(d) They get together and cry.
15. That summer, what is happening to Aggie?
(a) She is moving to another city.
(b) She is getting married.
(c) She is dying from an infected cut.
(d) She is being sent to an asylum for the insane.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Adam?
2. What does Julie do with the pink note cards Alicia Allison sends her?
3. How does Cordelia's father squelch rumors about Jonathan and Cordelia when she is tutoring him?
4. Of what does Bill assure Julie?
5. What seems ironic about Aggie in the coffin?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)