|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role does Aunt Cordelia now play in Julie's life?
(c) Guardian and schoolteacher.
2. Why does Julie's dad try to keep her away from Haskell?
(a) Because he has never liked the man.
(b) Because he's an alcoholic.
(c) Because of his made-up stories.
(d) Because he is jealous of Haskell's closeness with Julie.
3. Who does Jonathan think Julie closely resembles?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) No one in the family.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her aunt.
4. What does Julie's aunt do when she finds Julie hiding?
(a) Tells Julie she can stay in there as long as she wants.
(b) Admonishes Julie.
(c) Crawls in with Julie and holds her and sobs.
(d) Coaxes Julie out with the promise of a trip to the zoo.
5. What sort of signs does Annie exhibit?
(a) Signs of dying.
(b) Signs of understanding more than she lets on.
(c) Signs of undernourishment and mistreatment with no social skills.
(d) Signs of physical abuse.
6. When are Jonathan and his wife going to visit Cordelia's home?
(b) Jonathan has decided not to move back after all, so Cordelia will not see him.
(c) They probably won't because of Jonathan and Cordelia's former relationship.
(d) As soon as they are settled in.
7. Who starts taking a special interest in Julie?
(a) Her best friend.
(b) The neighbor's dog.
(c) Her dad.
(d) Her uncle.
8. What does Julie do with the pink note cards Alicia Allison sends her?
(a) She writes each invitation in perfect penmanship.
(b) She prepares them with addresses to write thank you notes.
(c) She safely stows them in her trunk.
(d) She draws pictures on each one.
9. What bothers the other girls the most about Annie?
(a) The way she sucks her thumb.
(b) Her vacant look.
(c) Her dreadful hygiene.
(d) The way she sneezes without covering her mouth.
10. Why might Aunt Cordelia be looking forward to seeing Jonathan?
(a) She hopes he will finally pay her the money he owes her for tutoring him.
(b) He spurned her for another woman who is a shrew now.
(c) She was once in love with him.
(d) She helped him become a famous author.
11. What does Julie do with her party invitations?
(a) Wraps them up carefully and keeps them.
(b) Throws them in the trash.
(c) Gives them to Aunt Cordelia.
(d) Hand delivers them to the girls at school.
12. What do Chris and Julie do when Laura is getting married?
(a) They get together and cry.
(b) They sneak away and don't go to the wedding.
(c) Chris is unable to come home from school so Julie is too sad to go to the wedding.
(d) They participate in the wedding.
13. About what does Julie talk to Uncle Haskell?
(a) About the different religious beliefs.
(b) The way she had treated Aggie when she was alive.
(c) Not wanting to leave him and Aunt Cordelia.
(d) What happens to people when they die.
14. What has happened on this October day?
(a) Julie's grandmother dies.
(b) Julie's father dies.
(c) Julie's cat dies.
(d) Julie's mother dies.
15. What does Uncle Haskell applaud?
(a) Mrs. Eltwing for her talents.
(b) Julie's drawings.
(c) Jonathan's last book.
(d) Cordelia's excellent meal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two of Aunt Cordelia's traits?
2. What does Laura do?
3. When does Julie feel close to her mother again?
4. What does the doctor do for Julie's screaming?
5. Why might Aunt Cordelia not be wanting to see Jonathan?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)