|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is odd about Mrs. Eltwing?
(a) She is only four foot, two inches tall.
(b) She does not seem to know Jonathan very well.
(c) She is almost six feet tall.
(d) Mrs. Eltwing seems very childlike in her eating and speech.
2. What seems ironic about Aggie in the coffin?
(a) She is clean and beautiful.
(b) She looks very intelligent.
(c) She looks like an angel from God.
(d) It doesn't look like she is dead.
3. Upon what does Aunt Cordelia instruct Chris and Julie?
(b) The art of good conversation.
(c) Posture and transitions.
4. How do Julie and the others respond?
(a) Julie impulsively kicks Jonathan.
(b) The comment registers horror in Julie and embarrasses the rest of the guests.
(c) Julie laughs.
(d) Julie feels highly complimented since she thinks her aunt is beautiful.
5. How does Aunt Cordelia get the bulk of her income?
(a) Through teaching.
(b) An inheritance.
(c) Tutoring other children.
(d) Through farm revenues.
6. Of what does Bill assure Julie?
(a) That once the baby is born, Laura and Julie can do the things they used to do.
(b) That Laura loves her as much as ever.
(c) That the baby only has part of Laura's heart.
(d) That Julie is always welcome in their home.
7. What does Julie do as she explores her aunt's house?
(a) Remembers times when she has been there.
(c) Tries to figure out why she is there.
8. The next day, what does Aunt Cordelia show Julie?
(a) A newborn litter of puppies.
(b) A picture of Jonathan and herself.
(c) A newborn lamb.
(d) An old photograph of herself.
9. What is Julie's response?
(a) She agrees readily.
(b) She agrees having not thought about doing so but is happy her aunt reminds her.
(c) She says she will think about it.
(d) She refuses to invite the person.
10. Who does Laura meet?
(a) Julie's best friend at school.
(b) Bill Strohmer.
(c) A man who dated their mom in high school.
(d) No one in particular.
11. What does Aunt Cordelia do as Julie cleans the dishes?
(a) Looks through old letters from Jonathan.
(b) Goes to sleep.
(c) Sits in her rocker and cries.
(d) Rakes and burns leaves most of the night.
12. What does Julie do with the pink note cards Alicia Allison sends her?
(a) She safely stows them in her trunk.
(b) She writes each invitation in perfect penmanship.
(c) She prepares them with addresses to write thank you notes.
(d) She draws pictures on each one.
13. What enlivens Mrs. Eltwing?
(c) Playing the piano.
(d) Julie's drawings.
14. When does Julie feel close to her mother again?
(a) When she prays at night.
(b) When she and her aunt look at photo albums.
(c) When her uncle takes her around to see places her mother loved.
(d) When her sister and father come to visit.
15. Who comes to live at Aunt Cordelia's house with Julie?
(a) No one.
(b) Her cousin Mary Jane.
(c) Her brother Chris.
(d) Her brother Chris and sister Laura.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Laura and Bill's baby named?
2. To what does Aunt Cordelia often treat Julie and Chris for their help?
3. Of what is Julie not convinced?
4. For what is Jonathan's wife known?
5. What is Uncle Haskell holding?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)