|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Julie's aunt make amends?
(a) Apologizes for being too harsh.
(b) Makes her hot chocolate.
(c) Takes her to the zoo.
(d) Makes her cupcakes.
2. Where do Julie and Carlotta take some gladiolas?
(a) To the cemetary to put on Julie's mother's grave.
(b) To Aggie's house.
(c) To their secret meeting place.
(d) To the church.
3. What is one of Aunt Cordelia's greatest challenges as a schoolteacher?
(a) To get the other children to like Annie Kilpin.
(b) How to help Annie Kilpin slow down her writing to make it legible.
(c) How to help a retarded student, Annie Kilpin.
(d) To treat all students fairly.
4. How does Cordelia's father squelch rumors about Jonathan and Cordelia when she is tutoring him?
(a) There are no rumors to squelch as Cordelia is the model of a lady.
(b) He doesn't try to do anything figuring people gossip and it means nothing.
(c) Threatens one of the worst rumor mongers with revealing things about that person.
(d) Has Cordelia's sister chaperone.
5. What is Julie's response?
(a) She agrees having not thought about doing so but is happy her aunt reminds her.
(b) She agrees readily.
(c) She refuses to invite the person.
(d) She says she will think about it.
6. Upon what does Aunt Cordelia instruct Chris and Julie?
(b) The art of good conversation.
(c) Posture and transitions.
7. What does Julie do with the pink note cards Alicia Allison sends her?
(a) She draws pictures on each one.
(b) She prepares them with addresses to write thank you notes.
(c) She safely stows them in her trunk.
(d) She writes each invitation in perfect penmanship.
8. Who does Chris call?
(b) No one.
9. What does Julie's aunt do when she finds Julie hiding?
(a) Admonishes Julie.
(b) Tells Julie she can stay in there as long as she wants.
(c) Coaxes Julie out with the promise of a trip to the zoo.
(d) Crawls in with Julie and holds her and sobs.
10. Why does Julie's dad try to keep her away from Haskell?
(a) Because he is jealous of Haskell's closeness with Julie.
(b) Because of his made-up stories.
(c) Because he's an alcoholic.
(d) Because he has never liked the man.
11. What are two of Aunt Cordelia's traits?
(a) Pleasant demeanor and sense of humor.
(b) Disciplined and educated.
(c) Meticulous and well-ordered.
(d) Strictness and neatness.
12. What does Uncle Haskell take out of his golf bag?
(a) A dead rabbit.
(b) A sick puppy.
(c) A spade.
(d) A driver.
13. What does Julie do as she and Aunt Cordelia are talking?
(a) Julie apologizes for her behavior earlier in the afternoon.
(b) Hugs her aunt and tells her she is beautiful.
(c) Listens and lets her aunt tell her the story of Jonathan.
(d) Says she looks nothing like her aunt.
14. What enlivens Mrs. Eltwing?
(c) Playing the piano.
(d) Julie's drawings.
15. What is Laura and Bill's baby named?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Aggie die?
2. What does the doctor do for Julie's screaming?
3. Why does Julie feel vulnerable?
4. When are Jonathan and his wife going to visit Cordelia's home?
5. When does Julie feel close to her mother again?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)