|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is assumed that Julie would do at this time in her life?
(a) Nothing in particular.
(b) Run for class president.
(c) Go to boarding school.
(d) Return to her father's home.
2. What does Julie do with the pink note cards Alicia Allison sends her?
(a) She safely stows them in her trunk.
(b) She prepares them with addresses to write thank you notes.
(c) She draws pictures on each one.
(d) She writes each invitation in perfect penmanship.
3. What is the aunt's occupation?
(a) A store clerk.
(b) She is unemployed.
(c) A beautician.
(d) A schoolteacher.
4. What does the doctor do for Julie's screaming?
(a) Hypnotizes her.
(b) Spanks her lightly.
(c) Gives her a shot.
(d) Makes her swallow a pill.
5. Why does Julie feel vulnerable?
(a) She has to use crutches to walk.
(b) She is in a different place alone among strangers.
(c) She has a cast on her right leg.
(d) Her dog who always makes her feel safe is not with her.
6. Why might Aunt Cordelia be looking forward to seeing Jonathan?
(a) She was once in love with him.
(b) He spurned her for another woman who is a shrew now.
(c) She hopes he will finally pay her the money he owes her for tutoring him.
(d) She helped him become a famous author.
7. What is odd about Mrs. Eltwing?
(a) Mrs. Eltwing seems very childlike in her eating and speech.
(b) She does not seem to know Jonathan very well.
(c) She is only four foot, two inches tall.
(d) She is almost six feet tall.
8. About what does Julie talk to Uncle Haskell?
(a) The way she had treated Aggie when she was alive.
(b) What happens to people when they die.
(c) Not wanting to leave him and Aunt Cordelia.
(d) About the different religious beliefs.
9. What is one of Aunt Cordelia's greatest challenges as a schoolteacher?
(a) To get the other children to like Annie Kilpin.
(b) To treat all students fairly.
(c) How to help a retarded student, Annie Kilpin.
(d) How to help Annie Kilpin slow down her writing to make it legible.
10. How does Cordelia's father squelch rumors about Jonathan and Cordelia when she is tutoring him?
(a) There are no rumors to squelch as Cordelia is the model of a lady.
(b) Has Cordelia's sister chaperone.
(c) Threatens one of the worst rumor mongers with revealing things about that person.
(d) He doesn't try to do anything figuring people gossip and it means nothing.
11. Who comes to live at Aunt Cordelia's house with Julie?
(a) Her cousin Mary Jane.
(b) Her brother Chris and sister Laura.
(c) No one.
(d) Her brother Chris.
12. What does Julie do as she and Aunt Cordelia are talking?
(a) Says she looks nothing like her aunt.
(b) Julie apologizes for her behavior earlier in the afternoon.
(c) Hugs her aunt and tells her she is beautiful.
(d) Listens and lets her aunt tell her the story of Jonathan.
13. When does Julie feel close to her mother again?
(a) When she prays at night.
(b) When her uncle takes her around to see places her mother loved.
(c) When she and her aunt look at photo albums.
(d) When her sister and father come to visit.
14. Why is a party being thrown for Julie?
(a) For no particular reason.
(b) She won a writing contest.
(c) For her twelfth birthday.
(d) For high school graduation.
15. What is Uncle Haskell holding?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A bag of golf clubs.
(c) A bunch of daisies.
(d) The evening paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ironically, who in addition to others, blames Aunt Cordelia for Julie not having a party?
2. Who is moving to town?
3. Of what is Julie not convinced?
4. Of what does Bill assure Julie?
5. When is the next time Julie sees Laura after Laura's marriage?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)