|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is Jonathan's wife known?
(a) She is a well-known writer herself.
(b) Her paintings.
(c) Her cooking ability.
(d) Her muscial talents.
2. Who escorts the Eltwings?
(a) No one.
(b) Jonathan's mother.
(d) Adam, Julie's father.
3. Who is Adam?
(a) Her brother's best friend.
(b) Julie's older brother.
(c) One of the boys in the group of children.
(d) Julie's father.
4. When did Julie last play with these children?
(b) Three years ago.
5. What enlivens Mrs. Eltwing?
(b) Julie's drawings.
(d) Playing the piano.
6. Why is a party being thrown for Julie?
(a) For no particular reason.
(b) For her twelfth birthday.
(c) For high school graduation.
(d) She won a writing contest.
7. Ironically, who in addition to others, blames Aunt Cordelia for Julie not having a party?
(a) The person Julie does not want to invite.
(b) Julie's father.
(c) Julie's other aunt who is there for the party.
(d) Aunt Cordelia's best friend.
8. What does Julie do with her party invitations?
(a) Wraps them up carefully and keeps them.
(b) Hand delivers them to the girls at school.
(c) Gives them to Aunt Cordelia.
(d) Throws them in the trash.
9. What does Julie's aunt do when she finds Julie hiding?
(a) Tells Julie she can stay in there as long as she wants.
(b) Admonishes Julie.
(c) Coaxes Julie out with the promise of a trip to the zoo.
(d) Crawls in with Julie and holds her and sobs.
10. How does Julie's aunt make amends?
(a) Takes her to the zoo.
(b) Makes her cupcakes.
(c) Apologizes for being too harsh.
(d) Makes her hot chocolate.
11. What is the aunt's response?
(a) She gives Julie a few days to change her mind.
(b) She relents.
(c) She cannot have a party without inviting that person.
(d) She compromises.
12. What does Uncle Haskell take out of his golf bag?
(a) A driver.
(b) A sick puppy.
(c) A spade.
(d) A dead rabbit.
13. How does Uncle Haskell excuse himself from the guests?
(a) By saying that he is a bit bored with the conversation.
(b) By saying he needs something a little stronger than wine.
(c) By saying he is obligated to help the neighbor with his sick horse.
(d) By saying he has to go work on his book.
14. What does Julie do as she and Aunt Cordelia are talking?
(a) Hugs her aunt and tells her she is beautiful.
(b) Says she looks nothing like her aunt.
(c) Julie apologizes for her behavior earlier in the afternoon.
(d) Listens and lets her aunt tell her the story of Jonathan.
15. What does it mean to say her aunt is a spinster?
(a) She spins wool and cotton for a living.
(b) She is very thin.
(c) She has never been married.
(d) She is quite elderly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Julie's dad try to keep her away from Haskell?
2. Who is moving to town?
3. Who is waiting to welcome Julie?
4. What does Uncle Haskell tell Julie?
5. Who does Julie rebuff with hostility?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)