|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Julie talk to Uncle Haskell?
(a) About the different religious beliefs.
(b) Not wanting to leave him and Aunt Cordelia.
(c) The way she had treated Aggie when she was alive.
(d) What happens to people when they die.
2. What is Julie's response?
(a) She refuses to invite the person.
(b) She says she will think about it.
(c) She agrees having not thought about doing so but is happy her aunt reminds her.
(d) She agrees readily.
3. How does Aunt Cordelia get the bulk of her income?
(a) Through teaching.
(b) An inheritance.
(c) Tutoring other children.
(d) Through farm revenues.
4. What bothers the other girls the most about Annie?
(a) Her vacant look.
(b) The way she sucks her thumb.
(c) The way she sneezes without covering her mouth.
(d) Her dreadful hygiene.
5. What enlivens Mrs. Eltwing?
(b) Julie's drawings.
(d) Playing the piano.
6. What does it mean to say her aunt is a spinster?
(a) She has never been married.
(b) She spins wool and cotton for a living.
(c) She is very thin.
(d) She is quite elderly.
7. What does Aunt Cordelia bring to class for Julie's birthday?
(a) A clown and candy.
(b) Ice cream and cones.
(c) Nothing because Julie behaves so badly.
(d) Two beautiful angel food cakes.
8. Who is moving to town?
(a) Jonathan Eltwing and his wife.
(b) Chris and his new wife.
(c) Laura and her husband.
(d) Julie's father and his new wife.
9. How does Cordelia's father squelch rumors about Jonathan and Cordelia when she is tutoring him?
(a) Has Cordelia's sister chaperone.
(b) Threatens one of the worst rumor mongers with revealing things about that person.
(c) He doesn't try to do anything figuring people gossip and it means nothing.
(d) There are no rumors to squelch as Cordelia is the model of a lady.
10. What are two of Aunt Cordelia's traits?
(a) Meticulous and well-ordered.
(b) Pleasant demeanor and sense of humor.
(c) Strictness and neatness.
(d) Disciplined and educated.
11. What does Julie vow?
(a) To treat all fairly.
(b) That she will leave Aunt Cordelia's home as soon as she is old enough.
(c) To apologize to Chris.
(d) To ask her aunt not to favor boys over girls.
12. What does Julie's aunt do when she finds Julie hiding?
(a) Tells Julie she can stay in there as long as she wants.
(b) Crawls in with Julie and holds her and sobs.
(c) Coaxes Julie out with the promise of a trip to the zoo.
(d) Admonishes Julie.
13. With what is Julie's house filled?
(a) Doctors and relatives.
(b) Meals brought from friends.
(c) Moving boxes.
(d) Partying adults.
14. Who is Adam?
(a) Julie's father.
(b) Julie's older brother.
(c) Her brother's best friend.
(d) One of the boys in the group of children.
15. Where does Julie awaken?
(a) At her Aunt June's home.
(b) At her Aunt Cordelia's beauty salon.
(c) At her Aunt Cordelia's house.
(d) At her Aunt June's beauty salon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why might Aunt Cordelia be looking forward to seeing Jonathan?
2. Who comes to live at Aunt Cordelia's house with Julie?
3. Who does Jonathan think Julie closely resembles?
4. What does Bill ask Julie to overlook about Laura during the visit?
5. Why does Aunt Cordelia enlist the aid of Julie and Chris?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)