|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relationship is Jonathan Eltwing to Aunt Cordelia?
(a) They were on opposing debate teams during their high school years.
(b) Aunt Cordielia has not yet met Eltwing.
(c) They are second cousins.
(d) Aunt Cordelia helps him to study for his college entrance exams.
2. What do Chris and Julie do when Laura is getting married?
(a) Chris is unable to come home from school so Julie is too sad to go to the wedding.
(b) They participate in the wedding.
(c) They get together and cry.
(d) They sneak away and don't go to the wedding.
3. When Julie hits Chris for kissing her and gives him a black eye, what is Aunt Cordelia's response?
(a) She says that the crime of a small kiss does not seem to warrant such a harsh punishment as a swollen eye.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She tells Julie it is good to learn to defend herself.
(d) She sends both to different corners for time out.
4. What does Aunt Cordelia do as Julie cleans the dishes?
(a) Rakes and burns leaves most of the night.
(b) Sits in her rocker and cries.
(c) Goes to sleep.
(d) Looks through old letters from Jonathan.
5. Who does Jonathan think Julie closely resembles?
(a) No one in the family.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her aunt.
6. Who does Laura meet?
(a) Julie's best friend at school.
(b) No one in particular.
(c) Bill Strohmer.
(d) A man who dated their mom in high school.
7. What does Uncle Haskell tell Julie?
(a) That people all go to heaven; there is no hell.
(b) That he and Aunt Cordelia want her to stay.
(c) Aggie has been saved future embarrassments and hard times through a merciful death.
(d) That all religions lead to the same place.
8. Who is Mrs. Peters?
(a) Julie's aunt's best friend.
(b) Julie's deceased mother.
(c) Julie's aunt's housekeeper.
(d) Julie's other aunt.
9. Why does Julie scream?
(a) She just saw her dog hit by a car.
(b) She cannot stand any more changes.
(c) She hates the children.
(d) She just stepped on a dead mouse.
10. What bothers the other girls the most about Annie?
(a) The way she sneezes without covering her mouth.
(b) Her vacant look.
(c) Her dreadful hygiene.
(d) The way she sucks her thumb.
11. What impact does this hostility have on the person in question #65?
(a) The person confronts Julie about it.
(b) The person goes and buries another bottle of whiskey.
(c) The person does not speak to Julie for the rest of the school year.
(d) The person just shrugs it off.
12. How does Julie feel towards her aunt?
(a) Loved and loving.
13. What does Julie do as she explores her aunt's house?
(b) Tries to figure out why she is there.
(c) Remembers times when she has been there.
14. Of what is Julie not convinced?
(a) That Laura is really that uncomfortable in her pregnancy.
(b) That Bill loves Laura as much as Julie does.
(c) That Bill really cares what Julie thinks.
(d) That she still has a prominent place in Laura's life.
15. What does Julie do as she and Aunt Cordelia are talking?
(a) Says she looks nothing like her aunt.
(b) Julie apologizes for her behavior earlier in the afternoon.
(c) Listens and lets her aunt tell her the story of Jonathan.
(d) Hugs her aunt and tells her she is beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julie's aunt do when she finds Julie hiding?
2. What enlivens Mrs. Eltwing?
3. Who does Julie rebuff with hostility?
4. How does Cordelia's father squelch rumors about Jonathan and Cordelia when she is tutoring him?
5. What does Aunt Cordelia bring to class for Julie's birthday?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)