|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the little school where Cordelia teaches being closed?
(a) The building is not up to code.
(b) So that the country children can have the benefit of an education in a city school.
(c) Because Cordelia wants to retire.
(d) There is not enough space for all the children.
2. What is odd about Mrs. Eltwing?
(a) Mrs. Eltwing seems very childlike in her eating and speech.
(b) She is almost six feet tall.
(c) She does not seem to know Jonathan very well.
(d) She is only four foot, two inches tall.
3. Why does Julie's dad try to keep her away from Haskell?
(a) Because he's an alcoholic.
(b) Because he has never liked the man.
(c) Because he is jealous of Haskell's closeness with Julie.
(d) Because of his made-up stories.
4. What is the aunt's occupation?
(a) A store clerk.
(b) A schoolteacher.
(c) She is unemployed.
(d) A beautician.
5. What does Jonathan tell his wife?
(a) That he is planning to start farming again.
(b) That Cordelia was married to his best friend, who is now deceased.
(c) That Cordelia is the one who helps him get into college.
(d) That Jonathan wants a divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jonathan do on many evenings?
2. What is Haskell doing for Cordelia?
3. Why do the kids run off before they see what their uncle is doing?
4. How does Cordelia's father squelch rumors about Jonathan and Cordelia when she is tutoring him?
5. What is the main idea of the note that Uncle Haskell slips under Julie's door?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)