|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will Karl not borrow the money to redeem the letter?
2. Kristina continues to battle ___________________.
3. Who had paid for the passage of the man in #125 to America?
4. Robert believes that the Indians have a way of life ____________________.
5. What does Robert see in a tree that frightens him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenges does Kristina face in feeding her family at their new homestead?
2. Who loans Karl a cow for the winter, and why is the loan such a blessing to the family?
3. What differing opinions do Karl, Kristina and Robert each have about Indians?
4. Why are Karl and Robert at odds over the Indian in the woods episode?
5. Describe Robert's harried hunting trip when he spies an Indian in a tree.
6. What precautions does Karl take for the family after Robert's experience with the Indian in the woods?
7. What does Karl discover in the woods that makes him approach Robert about the veracity of his Indian attack story?
8. Describe some of the expenditures Karl has in the building of the house.
9. Why is Kristina so melancholy as she unpacks the trunk?
10. How does Karl learn what Anders' secret is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Karl Oskar's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Sweden?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Moberg's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in UNTO A GOOD LAND.
Essay Topic 3
Moberg is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)