|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal is Robert able to catch without firing his gun?
2. What do Karl and Kristina think as they watch Robert and Arvid leave?
3. What is the big draw for Robert in the state he wants to move to?
4. How many windows does Karl buy for the house he is building for his family?
5. Robert believes that the sounds he hears in the bushes is __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the signs in nature that signal the coming of Spring?
2. Explain how Karl and Robert are very much alike even though they do not think so.
3. Describe some of the expenditures Karl has in the building of the house.
4. Why can't Karl pick up the letter that has arrived from Sweden?
5. How do Karl and Kristina view the letter from Sweden differently?
6. Describe some of the challenges that Kristina has in keeping house and caring for her family at the new homestead.
7. What news does Karl share in a letter to his parents?
8. What advice does Robert give Arvid regarding his commitment to Danjel?
9. What motivates Karl to work even harder on the new cabin, with whose help does it get accomplished, and how is the home celebrated?
10. When does Robert decide to leave Minnesota and what does he tell Karl about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Moberg's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two examples about struggle in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of struggle.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the two major settings for the novel. Why does Moberg use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)