|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Robert's Swedish friends made the trip with him to America?
2. Kristina feels sorry for the Indians because _____________________.
3. Robert believes that the sounds he hears in the bushes is __________________.
4. At whose house does Karl stop on the way home from the post office?
5. Robert is secretly making plans to go to _____________ to live.
Short Essay Questions
1. What differing opinions do Karl, Kristina and Robert each have about Indians?
2. What is Robert's plan for departing California and why does Arvid hesitate to go with him at first?
3. What do Karl and Kristina do for Robert and his trip?
4. What precautions does Karl take for the family after Robert's experience with the Indian in the woods?
5. Why is Kristina so melancholy as she unpacks the trunk?
6. How does Robert convince Karl that he can take care of himself?
7. Why can't Karl pick up the letter that has arrived from Sweden?
8. What are some of the signs in nature that signal the coming of Spring?
9. Describe Robert's harried hunting trip when he spies an Indian in a tree.
10. Describe some of the expenditures Karl has in the building of the house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moberg is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Poverty takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)