|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl notice about the man in #162 when he stops at his house?
2. How much money does Karl give Robert for his trip to California?
3. Karl had only enough money to build their house or buy _______________.
4. Why will Karl not borrow the money to redeem the letter?
5. What does Kristina cut up to make diapers and clothing for her new baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karl learn what Anders' secret is?
2. What does Karl produce that allows him to make a little bit of money?
3. Describe some of the challenges that Kristina has in keeping house and caring for her family at the new homestead.
4. Why can't Karl pick up the letter that has arrived from Sweden?
5. Describe Robert's harried hunting trip when he spies an Indian in a tree.
6. Why are Karl and Robert at odds over the Indian in the woods episode?
7. What challenges does Kristina face in feeding her family at their new homestead?
8. What is the irony of all the fodder that Karl has available to him now?
9. Why will Karl not allow Kristina borrow the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
10. What news does Karl share in a letter to his parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the two major settings for the novel. Why does Moberg use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Karl Oskar's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Sweden?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two examples about struggle in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of struggle.
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)