|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert believes that the Indians have a way of life ____________________.
2. What does Karl cut and stack to use at a later time?
3. Why does Kristina wish she had a cat?
4. What is the secret that Anders has been keeping?
5. Which of the following does Karl NOT focus on when writing a letter to his parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What motivates Karl to work even harder on the new cabin, with whose help does it get accomplished, and how is the home celebrated?
2. What do Karl and Kristina do for Robert and his trip?
3. Describe some of the expenditures Karl has in the building of the house.
4. What does Karl discover in the woods that makes him approach Robert about the veracity of his Indian attack story?
5. Explain how Karl and Robert are very much alike even though they do not think so.
6. How does Karl get the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
7. What news does Karl share in a letter to his parents?
8. Why is Kristina so melancholy as she unpacks the trunk?
9. Describe Robert's harried hunting trip when he spies an Indian in a tree.
10. Why is the table that Karl builds such a significant element for the home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Moberg's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in UNTO A GOOD LAND.
Essay Topic 2
Moberg is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Karl Oskar's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Sweden?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)