|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will christen the new baby?
2. Who will care for Danjel's children when Ulrika leaves?
3. Which of the following does Karl NOT focus on when writing a letter to his parents?
4. What is the secret that Anders has been keeping?
5. Karl finds it hard to believe that _____________ has changed from the person she was in Sweden.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karl produce that allows him to make a little bit of money?
2. Describe Robert's harried hunting trip when he spies an Indian in a tree.
3. What is the irony of all the fodder that Karl has available to him now?
4. What news does Karl share in a letter to his parents?
5. How does Karl learn what Anders' secret is?
6. What motivates Karl to work even harder on the new cabin, with whose help does it get accomplished, and how is the home celebrated?
7. How do Karl and Kristina view the letter from Sweden differently?
8. Why is Kristina so melancholy as she unpacks the trunk?
9. What is Robert's plan for his future?
10. Describe some of the expenditures Karl has in the building of the house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Karl spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Karl Oskar's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Sweden?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two examples about struggle in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of struggle.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)