|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kristina ask Karl to go for to help her during the birth of her child?
2. Ulrika has also turned down a marriage proposal from a ______________ man in town.
3. Which food has Danjel offered to share with Karl and Kristina's family?
4. What business also serves as a post office in town?
5. What does the person in #112 suggest might be the reason for Kristina's early labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karl learn what Anders' secret is?
2. Describe some of the challenges that Kristina has in keeping house and caring for her family at the new homestead.
3. Why can't Karl pick up the letter that has arrived from Sweden?
4. What is Robert's plan for his future?
5. What news does Karl share in a letter to his parents?
6. What challenges does Kristina face in feeding her family at their new homestead?
7. How do Karl and Kristina view the letter from Sweden differently?
8. What advice does Robert give Arvid regarding his commitment to Danjel?
9. Describe some of the expenditures Karl has in the building of the house.
10. Explain how Karl and Robert are very much alike even though they do not think so.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Moberg use the literary technique of local color in UNTO A GOOD LAND? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Swedish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Karl Oskar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Moberg uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see the world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe America using only your recall of Moberg's descriptions. How do you visualize rural life in 1850s Minnesota now that you have read Moberg's UNTO A GOOD LAND?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)