|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can the man in #142 not christen the new baby?
2. What does Karl spend most of his time doing?
3. What does Robert see in a tree that frightens him?
4. What does Johan bring home one day that indicates the approach of spring?
5. What are the settlers waiting for in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Moberg use the literary technique of local color in UNTO A GOOD LAND? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Swedish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 2
Moberg uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see the world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe America using only your recall of Moberg's descriptions. How do you visualize rural life in 1850s Minnesota now that you have read Moberg's UNTO A GOOD LAND?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)