|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anders loan to Karl and Kristina for the winter?
2. Who comes to the cabin one day and frightens Kristina?
3. What does Danjel tell Arvid when Arvid says he is leaving for California?
4. What does Karl spend most of his time doing?
5. What is the profession of the man in #172?
Short Essay Questions
1. What motivates Karl to work even harder on the new cabin, with whose help does it get accomplished, and how is the home celebrated?
2. Explain why money is such a source of tension between Karl and Kristina.
3. Describe some of the challenges that Kristina has in keeping house and caring for her family at the new homestead.
4. What does Karl produce that allows him to make a little bit of money?
5. How does Robert convince Karl that he can take care of himself?
6. What do Karl and Kristina do for Robert and his trip?
7. What are some of the signs in nature that signal the coming of Spring?
8. How does Karl get the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
9. What is Robert's plan for departing California and why does Arvid hesitate to go with him at first?
10. Who loans Karl a cow for the winter, and why is the loan such a blessing to the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Karl Oskar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Danjel. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)