|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Karl NOT focus on when writing a letter to his parents?
2. Who will christen the new baby?
3. Who sent the letter that Karl is now able to get at the post office?
4. What does Danjel tell Arvid when Arvid says he is leaving for California?
5. Who gives Johan the first coin that is his alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Karl and Kristina do for Robert and his trip?
2. Why will Karl not allow Kristina borrow the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
3. How does Karl get the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
4. Why is Kristina so melancholy as she unpacks the trunk?
5. What are some of the signs in nature that signal the coming of Spring?
6. Describe some of the challenges that Kristina has in keeping house and caring for her family at the new homestead.
7. How do Karl and Kristina view the letter from Sweden differently?
8. When does Robert decide to leave Minnesota and what does he tell Karl about it?
9. Explain how Karl and Robert are very much alike even though they do not think so.
10. What precautions does Karl take for the family after Robert's experience with the Indian in the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Moberg's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two examples about struggle in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of struggle.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Moberg's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in UNTO A GOOD LAND.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)