|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl produce and sell to some of his neighbors?
2. When do Karl and Kristina move into their new home?
3. What is the profession of the man in #172?
4. What does the traveler buy from Karl?
5. Which food has Danjel offered to share with Karl and Kristina's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will Karl not allow Kristina borrow the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
2. What are some of the signs in nature that signal the coming of Spring?
3. Describe Robert's harried hunting trip when he spies an Indian in a tree.
4. How do Karl and Kristina view the letter from Sweden differently?
5. What challenges does Kristina face in feeding her family at their new homestead?
6. How does Robert convince Karl that he can take care of himself?
7. Who loans Karl a cow for the winter, and why is the loan such a blessing to the family?
8. What precautions does Karl take for the family after Robert's experience with the Indian in the woods?
9. What is Robert's plan for his future?
10. What motivates Karl to work even harder on the new cabin, with whose help does it get accomplished, and how is the home celebrated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moberg uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see the world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe America using only your recall of Moberg's descriptions. How do you visualize rural life in 1850s Minnesota now that you have read Moberg's UNTO A GOOD LAND?
Essay Topic 2
How does Moberg use the literary technique of local color in UNTO A GOOD LAND? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Swedish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Moberg's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in UNTO A GOOD LAND.
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)