|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl produce and sell to some of his neighbors?
2. Who has proposed to Ulrika?
3. What does the traveler buy from Karl?
4. When it snows, Karl makes a rope of ________________ to tie between the house and the shed.
5. Which food has Danjel offered to share with Karl and Kristina's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Moberg's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in UNTO A GOOD LAND.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Karl Oskar's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Sweden?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in UNTO A GOOD LAND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How do all the passengers on the ship become a family of sorts? How are they bound like a family is bound together? Why is this bond stronger than natural ones in some cases?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)