|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Danjel tell Arvid when Arvid says he is leaving for California?
2. What does Robert see in a tree that frightens him?
3. Who gives Johan the first coin that is his alone?
4. Why can the man in #142 not christen the new baby?
5. What does Karl carry on his back on the way back from town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karl learn what Anders' secret is?
2. How does Karl get the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
3. Describe some of the challenges that Kristina has in keeping house and caring for her family at the new homestead.
4. How does Robert convince Karl that he can take care of himself?
5. What precautions does Karl take for the family after Robert's experience with the Indian in the woods?
6. When does Robert decide to leave Minnesota and what does he tell Karl about it?
7. What advice does Robert give Arvid regarding his commitment to Danjel?
8. What is Robert's plan for his future?
9. What is the irony of all the fodder that Karl has available to him now?
10. Who loans Karl a cow for the winter, and why is the loan such a blessing to the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Danjel. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
How does Moberg use the literary technique of local color in UNTO A GOOD LAND? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Swedish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 3
Moberg is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)