|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the agitated Robert tell Karl when he returns home?
2. Who comes to the cabin one day and frightens Kristina?
3. What frivolous purchase has Ulrika made?
4. Who has now proposed to Ulrika?
5. What does Karl cut and stack to use at a later time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Robert give Arvid regarding his commitment to Danjel?
2. Describe Robert's harried hunting trip when he spies an Indian in a tree.
3. How does Karl get the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
4. What is Robert's plan for departing California and why does Arvid hesitate to go with him at first?
5. What challenges does Kristina face in feeding her family at their new homestead?
6. What are some of the signs in nature that signal the coming of Spring?
7. What is Robert's plan for his future?
8. Describe some of the expenditures Karl has in the building of the house.
9. What does Karl produce that allows him to make a little bit of money?
10. Why are Karl and Robert at odds over the Indian in the woods episode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)