|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the travelers call the prairie?
2. To whom does Karl write a letter telling of the group's arrival in America?
3. Who is Kristina's uncle who is also on the trip?
4. Kristina is pregnant with a child who will be born before __________________.
5. What is the name of the park where the new emigrants gather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
2. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
3. Who is Lill-Marta and why does she cause such alarm as the boat is ready to depart?
4. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
5. What is the nature of Robert's health problem and how did he sustain it?
6. What is the nature of Karl's personality and what examples does the author give?
7. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
8. Who are some of the other important characters in the book?
9. How does the nature of Kristina's fears change as the journey progresses through the forest?
10. Who are the principal characters in the book and what is their destination for settling in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Kristina. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)