|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert request of a woman at a house along the way?
2. What does Karl go in search of when the boat docks one day to take on wood?
3. Where do many of the passengers go ashore when the ship makes a stop?
4. One of the first men to welcome the new settlers is Samuel ______________.
5. What tribe of Indians are the travelers likely to encounter on their trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Danjel think his little girl died?
2. What are two major obstacles that the immigrants must face as they leave the steamboat at Stillwater?
3. When does the group encounter Anders and why is Fina-Kajsa upset with him?
4. Who was Anna and why does Kristine bring up her name as they search for Lill-Marta?
5. Who are the principal characters in the book and what is their destination for settling in America?
6. Why does the group feel compelled to take Fina-Kajsa with them on the rest of the journey?
7. What is the nature of Karl's personality and what examples does the author give?
8. How had Karl determined where he wanted to settle in America?
9. How does Robert's misunderstanding of the English language create a problem between Ulrika and Karl?
10. Why is Ulrika so mad at Karl when the guide tells them how far they have to travel to get to Minnesota?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Robert. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Moberg's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Kristina. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)