|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that arrives in Chapter 1?
2. Karl is impressed that Anders has _________________.
3. Robert hopes to earn enough money to find a doctor to help with ________________________.
4. Who is Karl's younger brother who is also on the trip?
5. Why is Ulrika angry with Karl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Henry O. Jackson and how does he help the group?
2. Who is Lill-Marta and why does she cause such alarm as the boat is ready to depart?
3. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
4. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
5. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
6. How does the nature of Kristina's fears change as the journey progresses through the forest?
7. What is the ship that arrives in Chapter 1 and why are the passengers detained from disembarking?
8. What is the nature of Karl's personality and what examples does the author give?
9. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore to buy food one day?
10. What are Kristina's feelings about her new house in America and what is the only positive thing she can say to Karl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Kristina. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in UNTO A GOOD LAND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How do all the passengers on the ship become a family of sorts? How are they bound like a family is bound together? Why is this bond stronger than natural ones in some cases?
Essay Topic 3
How does Moberg use the literary technique of local color in UNTO A GOOD LAND? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Swedish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)