|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anders take the men?
2. Karl is surprised to learn that Anders has only ____________ acres plowed in the time he has lived in America.
3. Ulrika is known as ______________________.
4. What does Robert do faithfully each day while on the ship?
5. What type of trees do the men take special note of in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
2. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
3. When does the group encounter Anders and why is Fina-Kajsa upset with him?
4. What is the ship that arrives in Chapter 1 and why are the passengers detained from disembarking?
5. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
6. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
7. Who is Lill-Marta and why does she cause such alarm as the boat is ready to depart?
8. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
9. Why does the group feel compelled to take Fina-Kajsa with them on the rest of the journey?
10. Why is Ulrika so mad at Karl when the guide tells them how far they have to travel to get to Minnesota?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Danjel. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Robert. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Karl spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)