|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tribe of Indians are the travelers likely to encounter on their trip?
2. What is the name of the park where the new emigrants gather?
3. Who is the neighbor of the man in #65?
4. What does Fina-Kajas ask her son when she sees him?
5. Ulrika is known as ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ship that arrives in Chapter 1 and why are the passengers detained from disembarking?
2. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
3. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore to buy food one day?
4. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
5. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
6. Why does the group feel compelled to take Fina-Kajsa with them on the rest of the journey?
7. What is the nature of Robert's health problem and how did he sustain it?
8. When does the group encounter Anders and why is Fina-Kajsa upset with him?
9. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
10. How does the nature of Kristina's fears change as the journey progresses through the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in UNTO A GOOD LAND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How do all the passengers on the ship become a family of sorts? How are they bound like a family is bound together? Why is this bond stronger than natural ones in some cases?
Essay Topic 2
Poverty takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Danjel. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)