|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The people who Ulrika meets on the trip think she is a _________________.
2. Which of Danjel's children dies on board the steamer ship?
3. What happens to a man who falls off the boat into the river?
4. What type of animal helps himself to the group's food one night but is not identifiable by the group?
5. What is Danjel's religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ship that arrives in Chapter 1 and why are the passengers detained from disembarking?
2. What motivates Karl to work even harder on the new cabin, with whose help does it get accomplished, and how is the home celebrated?
3. Who is Henry O. Jackson and how does he help the group?
4. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
5. Why will Karl not allow Kristina borrow the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
6. Why can't Karl pick up the letter that has arrived from Sweden?
7. Describe Robert's harried hunting trip when he spies an Indian in a tree.
8. How does Robert convince Karl that he can take care of himself?
9. Describe some of the challenges that Kristina has in keeping house and caring for her family at the new homestead.
10. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the quest for a better life will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the quest for a better life throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Karl Oskar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Moberg uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see the world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe America using only your recall of Moberg's descriptions. How do you visualize rural life in 1850s Minnesota now that you have read Moberg's UNTO A GOOD LAND?
This section contains 1,863 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)