|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The passengers learn that there is an epidemic of __________________ on board the ship.
2. Karl is surprised to learn that Anders has only ____________ acres plowed in the time he has lived in America.
3. Where does the group disembark from the steamboat in Chapter 9?
4. Why does the steamboat captain warn the passengers to not stay in the area where they disembark?
5. Who is the Baptist minister who helps the group?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
2. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
3. Who are some of the other important characters in the book?
4. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore to buy food one day?
5. What are two major obstacles that the immigrants must face as they leave the steamboat at Stillwater?
6. Why does the group feel compelled to take Fina-Kajsa with them on the rest of the journey?
7. Who are the principal characters in the book and what is their destination for settling in America?
8. What is the ship that arrives in Chapter 1 and why are the passengers detained from disembarking?
9. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
10. What is the nature of Karl's personality and what examples does the author give?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poverty takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in UNTO A GOOD LAND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How do all the passengers on the ship become a family of sorts? How are they bound like a family is bound together? Why is this bond stronger than natural ones in some cases?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)