|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Danjel's religion?
2. What is the name of the park where the new emigrants gather?
3. The passengers learn that there is an epidemic of __________________ on board the ship.
4. Why does Danjel think his child died?
5. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suffers in Karl and Kristina's marriage due to Karl's ambition?
2. What is Robert's plan for his future?
3. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
4. What is Robert's plan for departing California and why does Arvid hesitate to go with him at first?
5. What differing opinions do Karl, Kristina and Robert each have about Indians?
6. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
7. How does Robert's misunderstanding of the English language create a problem between Ulrika and Karl?
8. How had Karl determined where he wanted to settle in America?
9. How do Karl and Kristina view the letter from Sweden differently?
10. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the two major settings for the novel. Why does Moberg use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two examples about struggle in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of struggle.
This section contains 1,698 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)