Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the children is missing when it is time to re-board the ship?
2. Who is the oldest person in the group of farmers?
3. What does Karl think about Anders after spending some time with him?
4. How many children do Karl Oskar and his wife, Kristina, have?
5. Where does Anders take the men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who loans Karl a cow for the winter, and why is the loan such a blessing to the family?
2. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
3. Why does Danjel think his little girl died?
4. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
5. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
6. What are some of the signs in nature that signal the coming of Spring?
7. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
8. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
9. How do Karl and Kristina view the letter from Sweden differently?
10. What is the irony of all the fodder that Karl has available to him now?
Essay Topic 1
How does Moberg use the literary technique of local color in UNTO A GOOD LAND? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Swedish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 2
Karl spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)