|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animal helps himself to the group's food one night but is not identifiable by the group?
2. What does Robert do faithfully each day while on the ship?
3. Why does Robert not want to make a huge fortune?
4. Which of the following is NOT one of Karl and Kristina's children?
5. How many children do Karl Oskar and his wife, Kristina, have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Robert's harried hunting trip when he spies an Indian in a tree.
2. Explain why money is such a source of tension between Karl and Kristina.
3. Why will Karl not allow Kristina borrow the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
4. Explain how Karl and Robert are very much alike even though they do not think so.
5. Who was Anna and why does Kristine bring up her name as they search for Lill-Marta?
6. What does Karl produce that allows him to make a little bit of money?
7. Why does Danjel think his little girl died?
8. Describe some of the challenges that Kristina has in keeping house and caring for her family at the new homestead.
9. Who is Henry O. Jackson and how does he help the group?
10. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in UNTO A GOOD LAND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How do all the passengers on the ship become a family of sorts? How are they bound like a family is bound together? Why is this bond stronger than natural ones in some cases?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Moberg is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,892 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)