|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the final destination of the group?
2. Where does the ship dock in America?
3. What is one of the items in Kristina's basket which is almost the last of the food for the group?
4. What is the name of the ship that arrives in Chapter 1?
5. Who is Karl's younger brother who is also on the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two major obstacles that the immigrants must face as they leave the steamboat at Stillwater?
2. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore to buy food one day?
3. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
4. Why is Ulrika so mad at Karl when the guide tells them how far they have to travel to get to Minnesota?
5. Who is Henry O. Jackson and how does he help the group?
6. When does the group encounter Anders and why is Fina-Kajsa upset with him?
7. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
8. What are Robert's plans for his life in America and how does he prepare?
9. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
10. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Karl Oskar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Danjel. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Karl spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)