|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kristina is glad that her family in Sweden cannot see __________________.
2. How many children does Danjel have?
3. What does Karl think about Anders after spending some time with him?
4. Who is the guide the ship's captain locates to help Karl and the others get to their destination?
5. Which one of the children is missing when it is time to re-board the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Robert's misunderstanding of the English language create a problem between Ulrika and Karl?
2. What suffers in Karl and Kristina's marriage due to Karl's ambition?
3. When does the group encounter Anders and why is Fina-Kajsa upset with him?
4. What are Kristina's feelings about her new house in America and what is the only positive thing she can say to Karl?
5. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
6. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
7. Who is Henry O. Jackson and how does he help the group?
8. Why does the group feel compelled to take Fina-Kajsa with them on the rest of the journey?
9. What is the nature of Karl's personality and what examples does the author give?
10. What is the ship that arrives in Chapter 1 and why are the passengers detained from disembarking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in UNTO A GOOD LAND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How do all the passengers on the ship become a family of sorts? How are they bound like a family is bound together? Why is this bond stronger than natural ones in some cases?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Danjel. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)