|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Karl finds the land he wants by a lake called ____________________.
2. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
3. What disease do the authorities check for before allowing the passengers to disembark?
4. Who is Robert's best friend?
5. Where does Anders take the men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
2. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
3. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
4. Why does Danjel think his little girl died?
5. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore to buy food one day?
6. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
7. What are two major obstacles that the immigrants must face as they leave the steamboat at Stillwater?
8. How had Karl determined where he wanted to settle in America?
9. Who is Henry O. Jackson and how does he help the group?
10. What is the nature of Karl's personality and what examples does the author give?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Moberg's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in UNTO A GOOD LAND.
Essay Topic 3
Moberg uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see the world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe America using only your recall of Moberg's descriptions. How do you visualize rural life in 1850s Minnesota now that you have read Moberg's UNTO A GOOD LAND?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)