|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ulrika and Elin wear to ward off illness?
2. How far away from their final destination is the town in #61?
3. What type of animal helps himself to the group's food one night but is not identifiable by the group?
4. Who is Robert's best friend?
5. Who is the man who Karl Oskar knows who lives in the state in #7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the nature of Kristina's fears change as the journey progresses through the forest?
2. Why does Danjel think his little girl died?
3. Describe the story Robert tells Elin about his and Arvid's adventure in New York and why does he feel the need to embellish?
4. What suffers in Karl and Kristina's marriage due to Karl's ambition?
5. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
6. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
7. Who is Henry O. Jackson and how does he help the group?
8. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
9. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
10. What is the nature of Karl's personality and what examples does the author give?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Karl Oskar's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Sweden?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Kristina. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)