|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the neighbor of the man in #65?
2. What does Robert plan to not buy?
3. The people who Ulrika meets on the trip think she is a _________________.
4. Who gives food to Danjel's family?
5. Where does the group disembark from the steamboat in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of all the fodder that Karl has available to him now?
2. Why will Karl not allow Kristina borrow the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
3. Who is Lill-Marta and why does she cause such alarm as the boat is ready to depart?
4. Who are some of the other important characters in the book?
5. What motivates Karl to work even harder on the new cabin, with whose help does it get accomplished, and how is the home celebrated?
6. How does Robert convince Karl that he can take care of himself?
7. Why is Ulrika so mad at Karl when the guide tells them how far they have to travel to get to Minnesota?
8. Why does Kristina seem to have more tolerance for Ulrika than Karl does?
9. What differing opinions do Karl, Kristina and Robert each have about Indians?
10. What are some of the signs in nature that signal the coming of Spring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Moberg's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Karl spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
This section contains 1,819 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)