|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl think about Anders after spending some time with him?
2. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
3. Who is Ulrika's daughter?
4. Why does the steamboat captain warn the passengers to not stay in the area where they disembark?
5. What does Fina-Kajas ask her son when she sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karl discover in the woods that makes him approach Robert about the veracity of his Indian attack story?
2. What do Karl and Kristina do for Robert and his trip?
3. What is the irony of all the fodder that Karl has available to him now?
4. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
5. Why are Karl and Robert at odds over the Indian in the woods episode?
6. What is Robert's plan for departing California and why does Arvid hesitate to go with him at first?
7. What advice does Robert give Arvid regarding his commitment to Danjel?
8. What is Robert's plan for his future?
9. What is the nature of Robert's health problem and how did he sustain it?
10. What precautions does Karl take for the family after Robert's experience with the Indian in the woods?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Robert. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Danjel. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,871 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)