|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fina-Kajas ask her son when she sees him?
2. Where is Karl Oskar headed with his family?
3. What type of trees do the men take special note of in the forest?
4. Why does Robert not want to make a huge fortune?
5. What is the name of the ship that arrives in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
2. What are Robert's plans for his life in America and how does he prepare?
3. Who are the principal characters in the book and what is their destination for settling in America?
4. How had Karl determined where he wanted to settle in America?
5. Why is Ulrika so mad at Karl when the guide tells them how far they have to travel to get to Minnesota?
6. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
7. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
8. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
9. How does the nature of Kristina's fears change as the journey progresses through the forest?
10. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Danjel. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Poverty takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)