|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does the group arrive at in Chapter 7?
2. Which insect does Anders tell the men can be a big problem for farmers?
3. Danjel notes that he fully expected God to destroy __________________.
4. Where does the ship dock in America?
5. Which one of Karl and Kristina's children died while they were still in Sweden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Robert's plans for his life in America and how does he prepare?
2. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
3. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
4. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
5. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
6. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
7. What is the ship that arrives in Chapter 1 and why are the passengers detained from disembarking?
8. What suffers in Karl and Kristina's marriage due to Karl's ambition?
9. Who was Anna and why does Kristine bring up her name as they search for Lill-Marta?
10. When does the group encounter Anders and why is Fina-Kajsa upset with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two examples about struggle in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of struggle.
Essay Topic 2
Moberg uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see the world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe America using only your recall of Moberg's descriptions. How do you visualize rural life in 1850s Minnesota now that you have read Moberg's UNTO A GOOD LAND?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)