Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the children is missing when it is time to re-board the ship?
2. Who is the oldest person in the group of farmers?
3. What does Karl think about Anders after spending some time with him?
4. How many children do Karl Oskar and his wife, Kristina, have?
5. Where does Anders take the men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who loans Karl a cow for the winter, and why is the loan such a blessing to the family?
2. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
3. Why does Danjel think his little girl died?
4. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
5. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
6. What are some of the signs in nature that signal the coming of Spring?
7. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
8. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
9. How do Karl and Kristina view the letter from Sweden differently?
10. What is the irony of all the fodder that Karl has available to him now?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in UNTO A GOOD LAND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How do all the passengers on the ship become a family of sorts? How are they bound like a family is bound together? Why is this bond stronger than natural ones in some cases?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the two major settings for the novel. Why does Moberg use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)