|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ulrika angry with Karl?
2. What is the name of the ship that arrives in Chapter 1?
3. What is the final destination of the group?
4. Who is Ulrika's daughter?
5. Who is Karl's younger brother who is also on the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Kristina's feelings about her new house in America and what is the only positive thing she can say to Karl?
2. How does Robert's misunderstanding of the English language create a problem between Ulrika and Karl?
3. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
4. Who is Lill-Marta and why does she cause such alarm as the boat is ready to depart?
5. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
6. How had Karl determined where he wanted to settle in America?
7. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore to buy food one day?
8. Describe the story Robert tells Elin about his and Arvid's adventure in New York and why does he feel the need to embellish?
9. When does the group encounter Anders and why is Fina-Kajsa upset with him?
10. Why does Danjel think his little girl died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Danjel. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Poverty takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Karl spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)