|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of trees do the men take special note of in the forest?
2. How long has Anders lived in America?
3. The members of the group think that the woman in the flowing robe on a coin must be _____________________.
4. One of the first men to welcome the new settlers is Samuel ______________.
5. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two major obstacles that the immigrants must face as they leave the steamboat at Stillwater?
2. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
3. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
4. What are Kristina's feelings about her new house in America and what is the only positive thing she can say to Karl?
5. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
6. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
7. What is the nature of Karl's personality and what examples does the author give?
8. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
9. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
10. How does Robert's misunderstanding of the English language create a problem between Ulrika and Karl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Karl Oskar's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Sweden?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the quest for a better life will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the quest for a better life throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)