|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the neighbor of the man in #65?
2. Robert hopes to earn enough money to find a doctor to help with ________________________.
3. Anders is infatuated with which woman?
4. Which one of the children is missing when it is time to re-board the ship?
5. What does Fina-Kajas ask her son when she sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lill-Marta and why does she cause such alarm as the boat is ready to depart?
2. What suffers in Karl and Kristina's marriage due to Karl's ambition?
3. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
4. Why does the group feel compelled to take Fina-Kajsa with them on the rest of the journey?
5. What is the nature of Robert's health problem and how did he sustain it?
6. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
7. How does Robert's misunderstanding of the English language create a problem between Ulrika and Karl?
8. Who are the principal characters in the book and what is their destination for settling in America?
9. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
10. How does the nature of Kristina's fears change as the journey progresses through the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Danjel. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Karl Oskar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)