|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The passengers learn that there is an epidemic of __________________ on board the ship.
2. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
3. Who cares for Danjel's children since Danjel's wife died?
4. Which insect does Anders tell the men can be a big problem for farmers?
5. How far away from their final destination is the town in #61?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story Robert tells Elin about his and Arvid's adventure in New York and why does he feel the need to embellish?
2. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
3. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
4. How does Robert's misunderstanding of the English language create a problem between Ulrika and Karl?
5. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
6. What is the nature of Karl's personality and what examples does the author give?
7. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
8. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
9. What are two major obstacles that the immigrants must face as they leave the steamboat at Stillwater?
10. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Karl Oskar's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Sweden?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the quest for a better life will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the quest for a better life throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)