|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far is Karl's homestead from the town of Taylor Falls?
2. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
3. Which one of the children is missing when it is time to re-board the ship?
4. Who wife died during the sea voyage?
5. Robert hopes to earn enough money to find a doctor to help with ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
2. Who is Henry O. Jackson and how does he help the group?
3. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore to buy food one day?
4. Why does Danjel think his little girl died?
5. What are Robert's plans for his life in America and how does he prepare?
6. How does the nature of Kristina's fears change as the journey progresses through the forest?
7. Who are the principal characters in the book and what is their destination for settling in America?
8. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
9. Describe the story Robert tells Elin about his and Arvid's adventure in New York and why does he feel the need to embellish?
10. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Poverty takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Moberg is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)