|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sent the letter that Karl is now able to get at the post office?
(a) His parents.
(c) Kristina's parents.
(d) Kristina's godmother.
2. How many windows does Karl buy for the house he is building for his family?
3. What is the only piece of furniture in the shanty?
(a) A bed.
(b) A chair.
(c) A table.
(d) The chest.
4. What does Johan bring home one day that indicates the approach of spring?
(a) A baby bunny.
(b) A bird's egg.
(c) A toad.
(d) A flower.
5. Who does Karl tell Kristina that the letter is from?
(a) Kristina's mother.
(b) He does not know.
(d) Karl's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Johan the first coin that is his alone?
2. Ulrika has also turned down a marriage proposal from a ______________ man in town.
3. What is Ulrika going to do as soon as the weather is warm enough?
4. What does Karl believe about the Indians?
5. Who does Kristina ask Karl to go for to help her during the birth of her child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why money is such a source of tension between Karl and Kristina.
2. Who loans Karl a cow for the winter, and why is the loan such a blessing to the family?
3. Describe some of the expenditures Karl has in the building of the house.
4. What does Karl discover in the woods that makes him approach Robert about the veracity of his Indian attack story?
5. Why are Karl and Robert at odds over the Indian in the woods episode?
6. Describe Robert's harried hunting trip when he spies an Indian in a tree.
7. What are some of the signs in nature that signal the coming of Spring?
8. Why will Karl not allow Kristina borrow the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
9. Why can't Karl pick up the letter that has arrived from Sweden?
10. What do Karl and Kristina do for Robert and his trip?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)