|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert see in a tree that frightens him?
(a) An owl.
(b) An Indian.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A cougar.
2. Which food has Danjel offered to share with Karl and Kristina's family?
3. Karl tells Kristina that if she had known that she was moving to a place where her children were going to be without ______________, she would never have come.
(a) a school.
(b) new clothes.
(c) ample food.
4. Why does Kristina wish she had a cat?
(a) She does not like cats.
(b) To remind her of home.
(c) For company.
(d) To chase away the rats.
5. When do Karl and Kristina move into their new home?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Kristina's new baby weigh?
2. Kristina uses a concoction of rabbit fat and _____________ to wash the skunk smell out of Johan's clothes.
3. What business also serves as a post office in town?
4. Why is the Indian in the tree?
5. Why does Karl borrow five dollars from Danjel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kristina seem to have more tolerance for Ulrika than Karl does?
2. Describe some of the challenges that Kristina has in keeping house and caring for her family at the new homestead.
3. What is Robert's plan for departing California and why does Arvid hesitate to go with him at first?
4. Why is Kristina so melancholy as she unpacks the trunk?
5. What does Karl produce that allows him to make a little bit of money?
6. Explain why money is such a source of tension between Karl and Kristina.
7. Why will Karl not allow Kristina borrow the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
8. Why can't Karl pick up the letter that has arrived from Sweden?
9. When does Robert decide to leave Minnesota and what does he tell Karl about it?
10. How does Karl learn what Anders' secret is?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)