|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal is Robert able to catch without firing his gun?
2. What does Karl believe about the Indians?
(a) They are fearless.
(b) They are loyal.
(c) They are lazy.
(d) They are intelligent.
3. Why will Karl not borrow the money to redeem the letter?
(a) He is afraid of what the letter might say.
(b) He is too embarrassed.
(c) He thinks it is an unfair charge.
(d) He does borrow the money.
4. How many windows does Karl buy for the house he is building for his family?
5. How much money does Johan receive in #167?
(a) A dime.
(b) A penny.
(c) A quarter.
(d) A nickel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl notice about the man in #162 when he stops at his house?
2. What does Karl spend most of his time doing?
3. What does the family use as a dining table in their shanty?
4. One day when Robert is out hunting, he sees the tracks of which kind of animal?
5. What frivolous purchase has Ulrika made?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Karl pick up the letter that has arrived from Sweden?
2. What motivates Karl to work even harder on the new cabin, with whose help does it get accomplished, and how is the home celebrated?
3. What is Robert's plan for departing California and why does Arvid hesitate to go with him at first?
4. What is Robert's plan for his future?
5. Why is Kristina so melancholy as she unpacks the trunk?
6. When does Robert decide to leave Minnesota and what does he tell Karl about it?
7. Why will Karl not allow Kristina borrow the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
8. Explain why money is such a source of tension between Karl and Kristina.
9. What do Karl and Kristina do for Robert and his trip?
10. Who loans Karl a cow for the winter, and why is the loan such a blessing to the family?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)