|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ulrika has also turned down a marriage proposal from a ______________ man in town.
2. What impediment does Robert suffer from?
(b) Bad eyesight.
(c) Speech impediment.
(d) Hearing loss.
3. When it snows, Karl makes a rope of ________________ to tie between the house and the shed.
(a) linden bark.
4. What frivolous purchase has Ulrika made?
(a) A hat.
(b) A brooch.
(c) A stole.
5. What do Karl and Kristina think as they watch Robert and Arvid leave?
(a) They will be very wealthy one day.
(b) They will be back in a month.
(c) They may never see them again.
(d) They will probably get lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will christen the new baby?
2. How long does it take Karl and the other men to build Karl's house?
3. Who does Karl tell Kristina that the letter is from?
4. Who does Kristina consider to christen the new baby?
5. Why does Kristina wish she had a cat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Robert convince Karl that he can take care of himself?
2. What does Karl produce that allows him to make a little bit of money?
3. What challenges does Kristina face in feeding her family at their new homestead?
4. What does Karl discover in the woods that makes him approach Robert about the veracity of his Indian attack story?
5. What precautions does Karl take for the family after Robert's experience with the Indian in the woods?
6. What is the irony of all the fodder that Karl has available to him now?
7. What is Robert's plan for departing California and why does Arvid hesitate to go with him at first?
8. When does Robert decide to leave Minnesota and what does he tell Karl about it?
9. Describe some of the challenges that Kristina has in keeping house and caring for her family at the new homestead.
10. Why can't Karl pick up the letter that has arrived from Sweden?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)