|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karl spend most of his time doing?
(a) Cutting down trees.
(b) Building the house.
(c) Making new friends.
(d) Plowing the field.
2. When it snows, Karl makes a rope of ________________ to tie between the house and the shed.
(d) linden bark.
3. Karl finds it hard to believe that _____________ has changed from the person she was in Sweden.
4. When do Karl and Kristina move into their new home?
5. What does Karl notice about the man in #162 when he stops at his house?
(a) He has cholera.
(b) He is praying.
(c) He is in a coma.
(d) He is drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will Karl not borrow the money to redeem the letter?
2. Kristina learns that Ulrika is to marry ______________________.
3. Which of the following is NOT a piece of furniture that Karl makes during the first winter?
4. Karl had only enough money to build their house or buy _______________.
5. What does Karl produce and sell to some of his neighbors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the signs in nature that signal the coming of Spring?
2. Describe Robert's harried hunting trip when he spies an Indian in a tree.
3. What do Karl and Kristina do for Robert and his trip?
4. What challenges does Kristina face in feeding her family at their new homestead?
5. Why are Karl and Robert at odds over the Indian in the woods episode?
6. How do Karl and Kristina view the letter from Sweden differently?
7. What precautions does Karl take for the family after Robert's experience with the Indian in the woods?
8. Why can't Karl pick up the letter that has arrived from Sweden?
9. What is Robert's plan for departing California and why does Arvid hesitate to go with him at first?
10. Describe some of the challenges that Kristina has in keeping house and caring for her family at the new homestead.
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)