|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert is secretly making plans to go to _____________ to live.
2. Who does Kristina consider to christen the new baby?
(a) Nels Larsen.
(b) Samuel Johnson.
(c) Henry Jackson.
(d) Abe Witters.
3. How does Kristina cook the family's meals?
(a) They eat only cold meals.
(b) A fire pit in the shanty.
(c) On an open fire outside.
(d) The fireplace.
4. When do Samuel Nojd and Swedish Anna come to visit Karl and Kristina?
(d) New Year's.
5. Why is the Indian in the tree?
(a) He has a good vantage point for hunting.
(b) He is dead and secured there until the ground thaws for burial.
(c) He is a lookout.
(d) He is a runaway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Karl bring with him from Sweden which he realizes now will be very helpful?
2. What does Karl produce and sell to some of his neighbors?
3. What are the settlers waiting for in Chapter 23?
4. Kristina continues to battle ___________________.
5. Why does Robert want his hair cut as short as possible?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why money is such a source of tension between Karl and Kristina.
2. What motivates Karl to work even harder on the new cabin, with whose help does it get accomplished, and how is the home celebrated?
3. How do Karl and Kristina view the letter from Sweden differently?
4. What is the irony of all the fodder that Karl has available to him now?
5. What are some of the signs in nature that signal the coming of Spring?
6. What precautions does Karl take for the family after Robert's experience with the Indian in the woods?
7. Why is the table that Karl builds such a significant element for the home?
8. How does Karl get the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
9. How does Karl learn what Anders' secret is?
10. Why are Karl and Robert at odds over the Indian in the woods episode?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)