|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Karl bring with him from Sweden which he realizes now will be very helpful?
(a) Elderberry bushes.
(b) Seed corn.
(d) Fishing supplies.
2. Kristina learns that Ulrika is to marry ______________________.
(a) Thomas Sanderson.
(b) Walter H. Abbott.
(c) Philip J. Bowdoin.
(d) Charles Meyers.
3. Which food has Danjel offered to share with Karl and Kristina's family?
4. When does Robert plan to tell Karl that Robert is leaving?
(a) The day of his departure.
(b) The day before his departure.
(c) He'll send a telegram after he's gone.
(d) A month before he leaves.
5. What animal is Robert able to catch without firing his gun?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Karl and Kristina think as they watch Robert and Arvid leave?
2. What name is given to the new baby?
3. What do Karl and Kristina never discuss?
4. What job does Elin get in town?
5. Why can Karl not pick up the letter which is waiting for him at the post office?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Karl and Kristina view the letter from Sweden differently?
2. Describe some of the expenditures Karl has in the building of the house.
3. Describe some of the challenges that Kristina has in keeping house and caring for her family at the new homestead.
4. What challenges does Kristina face in feeding her family at their new homestead?
5. Why is Kristina so melancholy as she unpacks the trunk?
6. Who loans Karl a cow for the winter, and why is the loan such a blessing to the family?
7. Explain how Karl and Robert are very much alike even though they do not think so.
8. Why is the table that Karl builds such a significant element for the home?
9. What advice does Robert give Arvid regarding his commitment to Danjel?
10. What is the irony of all the fodder that Karl has available to him now?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)