|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert believes that the Indians have a way of life ____________________.
(a) that is wholesome.
(b) much preferable to his.
(c) that is resourceful.
(d) which will soon be extinct.
2. What job does Elin get in town?
(a) A seamstress.
(b) A maid.
(c) A cook.
(d) A teacher.
3. A cliff near a creek strongly resembles ___________________.
(a) the shape of Sweden.
(b) the head of an Indian.
(c) a man's hat.
(d) a lightning bolt.
4. Which food has Danjel offered to share with Karl and Kristina's family?
5. What does Robert see in a tree that frightens him?
(a) An Indian.
(b) An owl.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A cougar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert is secretly making plans to go to _____________ to live.
2. What does the person in #112 suggest might be the reason for Kristina's early labor?
3. Who gives Johan the first coin that is his alone?
4. What does Karl carry on his back on the way back from town?
5. Who does Kristina consider to christen the new baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why money is such a source of tension between Karl and Kristina.
2. What differing opinions do Karl, Kristina and Robert each have about Indians?
3. When does Robert decide to leave Minnesota and what does he tell Karl about it?
4. Why is Kristina so melancholy as she unpacks the trunk?
5. What challenges does Kristina face in feeding her family at their new homestead?
6. What is Robert's plan for his future?
7. Why will Karl not allow Kristina borrow the money to pick up the letter from Sweden?
8. What are some of the signs in nature that signal the coming of Spring?
9. How does Robert convince Karl that he can take care of himself?
10. What is Robert's plan for departing California and why does Arvid hesitate to go with him at first?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)