|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Karl finds the land he wants by a lake called ____________________.
(d) Big Eagle.
2. What is Danjel's religion?
3. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
(a) They are allergic to it.
(b) It is moldy.
(c) They think it is tained.
(d) It is not fully cooked.
4. What is one of the items in Kristina's basket which is almost the last of the food for the group?
(b) Dried apples.
5. Why does Robert not want to make a huge fortune?
(a) He would be a target for thieves.
(b) He does want to make a huge fortune.
(c) It would be difficult to handle.
(d) People would always want his money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the guide the ship's captain locates to help Karl and the others get to their destination?
2. Which insect does Anders tell the men can be a big problem for farmers?
3. When the boat stops periodically, a few men go ashore with a bundle and __________________.
4. What is the name of the ship that arrives in Chapter 1?
5. What is a requirement for the men as they select their homesteads?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Henry O. Jackson and how does he help the group?
2. What are Robert's plans for his life in America and how does he prepare?
3. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
4. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
5. What is the ship that arrives in Chapter 1 and why are the passengers detained from disembarking?
6. Who was Anna and why does Kristine bring up her name as they search for Lill-Marta?
7. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
8. Who is Lill-Marta and why does she cause such alarm as the boat is ready to depart?
9. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
10. Who are the principal characters in the book and what is their destination for settling in America?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)