|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the boat stops periodically, a few men go ashore with a bundle and __________________.
2. Where do many of the passengers go ashore when the ship makes a stop?
3. Where does the group disembark from the steamboat in Chapter 9?
4. What disease do the authorities check for before allowing the passengers to disembark?
5. What does Robert plan to not buy?
(a) A tractor.
(b) Too many possessions.
(c) A house.
(d) Seed corn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Fina-Kajas' sons does the group encounter on their trip?
2. Why does the steamboat captain warn the passengers to not stay in the area where they disembark?
3. Which insect does Anders tell the men can be a big problem for farmers?
4. What is Danjel's religion?
5. Who wife died during the sea voyage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Danjel think his little girl died?
2. What is the nature of Robert's health problem and how did he sustain it?
3. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
4. Who is Lill-Marta and why does she cause such alarm as the boat is ready to depart?
5. What are Kristina's feelings about her new house in America and what is the only positive thing she can say to Karl?
6. When does the group encounter Anders and why is Fina-Kajsa upset with him?
7. How does Robert's misunderstanding of the English language create a problem between Ulrika and Karl?
8. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
9. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
10. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)