|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease do the authorities check for before allowing the passengers to disembark?
2. What do Ulrika and Elin wear to ward off illness?
(c) Herb pouches.
(d) Mustard plaster.
3. How long has Anders lived in America?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 7 years.
(d) 4 years.
4. What is the name of the park where the new emigrants gather?
(a) Central Park.
(b) MacArthur Park.
(c) Liberty Park.
(d) Battery Park.
5. Who cares for Danjel's children since Danjel's wife died?
Short Answer Questions
1. The members of the group fear that the final leg of the trip will be too strenuous for ________________.
2. Where does Anders take the men?
3. Where is Karl Oskar headed with his family?
4. What is the name of the ship that will take the group almost all the way to their destination?
5. What type of trees do the men take special note of in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suffers in Karl and Kristina's marriage due to Karl's ambition?
2. What is the nature of Karl's personality and what examples does the author give?
3. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
4. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore to buy food one day?
5. Who are the principal characters in the book and what is their destination for settling in America?
6. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
7. Who are some of the other important characters in the book?
8. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
9. How does the nature of Kristina's fears change as the journey progresses through the forest?
10. What are Kristina's feelings about her new house in America and what is the only positive thing she can say to Karl?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)