|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert knows that he will have to learn the English language in order to _____________________.
(a) avoid being murdered in America.
(b) go to church.
(c) buy dry goods.
(d) sell crops.
2. Where do many of the passengers go ashore when the ship makes a stop?
3. Which one of Fina-Kajas' sons does the group encounter on their trip?
4. What do Ulrika and Elin wear to ward off illness?
(c) Mustard plaster.
(d) Herb pouches.
5. Which one of the children is missing when it is time to re-board the ship?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives food to Danjel's family?
2. The members of the group think that the woman in the flowing robe on a coin must be _____________________.
3. The people who Ulrika meets on the trip think she is a _________________.
4. What disease do the authorities check for before allowing the passengers to disembark?
5. Who is Robert's best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story Robert tells Elin about his and Arvid's adventure in New York and why does he feel the need to embellish?
2. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
3. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
4. Who was Anna and why does Kristine bring up her name as they search for Lill-Marta?
5. How does the nature of Kristina's fears change as the journey progresses through the forest?
6. Who are the principal characters in the book and what is their destination for settling in America?
7. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
8. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
9. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore to buy food one day?
10. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)