|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The farmers and their families on board the ship are from which country?
2. What is the final destination of the group?
(a) Taylor Falls.
3. Who is the Baptist minister who helps the group?
(a) J. Johnson Hall.
(b) Milford Hunt.
(c) Everett Hansen.
(d) Henry O. Jackson.
4. The group's late arrival in America means that they _______________________.
(a) will not be able to make a land claim.
(b) may not be able to get a crop planted for this season.
(c) cannot try to cross the mountains because of snow.
(d) will not have the right clothes for this season.
5. Which one of the children is missing when it is time to re-board the ship?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the travelers call the prairie?
2. Who is the neighbor of the man in #65?
3. Kristina is pregnant with a child who will be born before __________________.
4. How many children does Danjel have?
5. What does Karl think about Anders after spending some time with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
2. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
3. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
4. Who are some of the other important characters in the book?
5. Why does the group feel compelled to take Fina-Kajsa with them on the rest of the journey?
6. Who was Anna and why does Kristine bring up her name as they search for Lill-Marta?
7. What are two major obstacles that the immigrants must face as they leave the steamboat at Stillwater?
8. Why does Danjel think his little girl died?
9. What suffers in Karl and Kristina's marriage due to Karl's ambition?
10. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore to buy food one day?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)