|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to a man who falls off the boat into the river?
(a) He is picked up by another boat.
(b) He is rescued by the captain.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He swims to shore.
2. Some of the people who have come to America have _________________ motives.
3. Which insect does Anders tell the men can be a big problem for farmers?
4. What do the travelers realize as they pass over the prairie?
(a) They will never return to Sweden.
(b) They have made a mistake.
(c) They love this new land.
(d) They will need equipment to plow.
5. Why is Ulrika angry with Karl?
(a) She thinks he misled the group on how long the trip would be.
(b) He is disrespectful toward women.
(c) She accuses him of stealing her food.
(d) He has assigned himself as the leader of the group.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the ship dock in America?
2. When the boat stops periodically, a few men go ashore with a bundle and __________________.
3. Robert knows that he will have to learn the English language in order to _____________________.
4. What does Karl go in search of when the boat docks one day to take on wood?
5. Which one of the children is missing when it is time to re-board the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had Karl determined where he wanted to settle in America?
2. What is the nature of Karl's personality and what examples does the author give?
3. What is the ship that arrives in Chapter 1 and why are the passengers detained from disembarking?
4. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
5. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
6. What are Robert's plans for his life in America and how does he prepare?
7. Who was Anna and why does Kristine bring up her name as they search for Lill-Marta?
8. What is the nature of Robert's health problem and how did he sustain it?
9. What are Kristina's feelings about her new house in America and what is the only positive thing she can say to Karl?
10. When does the group encounter Anders and why is Fina-Kajsa upset with him?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)