Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the children is missing when it is time to re-board the ship?
2. Who is the oldest person in the group of farmers?
(a) Robert Bjork.
(b) Lars Nyberg.
(c) Arvid Bremer.
(d) Jonas Petters.
3. What does Karl think about Anders after spending some time with him?
(a) Anders is lying.
(b) Anders has a secret.
(c) Anders is not his real name.
(d) Anders has committed a crime.
4. How many children do Karl Oskar and his wife, Kristina, have?
5. Where does Anders take the men?
(a) To find the land they want to homestead.
(b) To church.
(c) To the doctor's office.
(d) To the courthouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the first men to welcome the new settlers is Samuel ______________.
2. What kind of animal does Karl see which has fallen into the water?
3. Which of Danjel's children dies on board the steamer ship?
4. How must the group travel on the last leg of their journey?
5. What is the name of the steamboat which takes the group to Albany?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who loans Karl a cow for the winter, and why is the loan such a blessing to the family?
2. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
3. Why does Danjel think his little girl died?
4. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
5. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
6. What are some of the signs in nature that signal the coming of Spring?
7. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
8. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
9. How do Karl and Kristina view the letter from Sweden differently?
10. What is the irony of all the fodder that Karl has available to him now?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)