|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do many of the passengers go ashore when the ship makes a stop?
2. What sign is Karl unable to read on the train?
(a) Dining car this way.
(b) Please hand ticket to porter.
(c) Danger! Watch your step.
(d) No smoking.
3. Which one of the children is missing when it is time to re-board the ship?
4. What disease do the authorities check for before allowing the passengers to disembark?
5. The passengers take up a collection for ______________________.
(a) fresh water.
(b) the family of the man who drowned.
(c) the captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cares for Danjel's children since Danjel's wife died?
2. Where does Anders take the men?
3. When the boat stops periodically, a few men go ashore with a bundle and __________________.
4. What kind of animal does Karl see which has fallen into the water?
5. What type of trees do the men take special note of in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had Karl determined where he wanted to settle in America?
2. Who was Anna and why does Kristine bring up her name as they search for Lill-Marta?
3. How does the nature of Kristina's fears change as the journey progresses through the forest?
4. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
5. Who are some of the other important characters in the book?
6. Describe the story Robert tells Elin about his and Arvid's adventure in New York and why does he feel the need to embellish?
7. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
8. What is the nature of Robert's health problem and how did he sustain it?
9. Who is Lill-Marta and why does she cause such alarm as the boat is ready to depart?
10. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)