|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert request of a woman at a house along the way?
(a) A place to rest.
(b) Fresh water.
2. Which of Danjel's children dies on board the steamer ship?
3. What sign is Karl unable to read on the train?
(a) Dining car this way.
(b) Please hand ticket to porter.
(c) No smoking.
(d) Danger! Watch your step.
4. Who is the guide the ship's captain locates to help Karl and the others get to their destination?
(a) Long Landberg.
(b) Jons Dahlgren.
(c) Anderson Blum.
(d) Loffe Ekstrom.
5. The farmers and their families on board the ship are from which country?
Short Answer Questions
1. Ulrika is known as ______________________.
2. What is one of the items in Kristina's basket which is almost the last of the food for the group?
3. When the boat stops periodically, a few men go ashore with a bundle and __________________.
4. Which of the following is NOT one of Karl and Kristina's children?
5. The members of the group think that the woman in the flowing robe on a coin must be _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
2. How had Karl determined where he wanted to settle in America?
3. Who is Lill-Marta and why does she cause such alarm as the boat is ready to depart?
4. What are Robert's plans for his life in America and how does he prepare?
5. How does the nature of Kristina's fears change as the journey progresses through the forest?
6. What suffers in Karl and Kristina's marriage due to Karl's ambition?
7. What are two major obstacles that the immigrants must face as they leave the steamboat at Stillwater?
8. Why does the group feel compelled to take Fina-Kajsa with them on the rest of the journey?
9. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
10. Who was Anna and why does Kristine bring up her name as they search for Lill-Marta?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)