|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert study in preparation for the farmers' new lives in America?
(a) The currency.
(b) The religions.
(c) The seasons.
(d) The social customs.
2. One of the first men to welcome the new settlers is Samuel ______________.
3. How many children does Danjel have?
4. What do Ulrika and Elin wear to ward off illness?
(b) Mustard plaster.
(c) Herb pouches.
5. Karl is surprised to learn that Anders has only ____________ acres plowed in the time he has lived in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fina-Kajas ask her son when she sees him?
2. Who is the Baptist minister who helps the group?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of Karl and Kristina's children?
4. The members of the group fear that the final leg of the trip will be too strenuous for ________________.
5. What does Karl go in search of when the boat docks one day to take on wood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Anna and why does Kristine bring up her name as they search for Lill-Marta?
2. What is the nature of Karl's personality and what examples does the author give?
3. How does the nature of Kristina's fears change as the journey progresses through the forest?
4. What is the nature of Robert's health problem and how did he sustain it?
5. What are two major obstacles that the immigrants must face as they leave the steamboat at Stillwater?
6. Why does Danjel think his little girl died?
7. Why is Ulrika so mad at Karl when the guide tells them how far they have to travel to get to Minnesota?
8. What is the ship that arrives in Chapter 1 and why are the passengers detained from disembarking?
9. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore to buy food one day?
10. Who are some of the other important characters in the book?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)