|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the children disappointed when Karl returns to the ship?
(a) He could not find any books.
(b) He does not have any milk.
(c) He does not have any blankets.
(d) He did not buy any candy.
2. Why does Danjel think his child died?
(a) So Danjel would move his devotion back to God.
(b) Because he was angry with God.
(c) So she could be with her dead mother.
(d) To give him one less mouth to feed.
3. How many children does Danjel have?
4. Robert hopes to earn enough money to find a doctor to help with ________________________.
(a) a hearing problem.
(b) painful back.
(c) skin lesions.
(d) swollen joints.
5. Who gives food to Danjel's family?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
2. What is the name of the ship that will take the group almost all the way to their destination?
3. What is one of the items in Kristina's basket which is almost the last of the food for the group?
4. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
5. What sign is Karl unable to read on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the group feel compelled to take Fina-Kajsa with them on the rest of the journey?
2. How does the nature of Kristina's fears change as the journey progresses through the forest?
3. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
4. Who are the principal characters in the book and what is their destination for settling in America?
5. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
6. How had Karl determined where he wanted to settle in America?
7. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore to buy food one day?
8. How does Robert's misunderstanding of the English language create a problem between Ulrika and Karl?
9. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
10. Who are some of the other important characters in the book?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)