|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
(a) It is not fully cooked.
(b) It is moldy.
(c) They are allergic to it.
(d) They think it is tained.
2. What does Karl go in search of when the boat docks one day to take on wood?
(d) Food and milk.
3. Anders tells the men that they may have to dig as deep as __________ feet if they want a well for their water supply.
4. What happens to a man who falls off the boat into the river?
(a) He drowns.
(b) He is rescued by the captain.
(c) He is picked up by another boat.
(d) He swims to shore.
5. Why are the children disappointed when Karl returns to the ship?
(a) He could not find any books.
(b) He did not buy any candy.
(c) He does not have any milk.
(d) He does not have any blankets.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away from their final destination is the town in #61?
2. Karl is surprised to learn that Anders has only ____________ acres plowed in the time he has lived in America.
3. Which of Danjel's children dies on board the steamer ship?
4. What kind of animal does Karl see which has fallen into the water?
5. Who is Kristina's uncle who is also on the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had Karl determined where he wanted to settle in America?
2. Who was Anna and why does Kristine bring up her name as they search for Lill-Marta?
3. What is the nature of Robert's health problem and how did he sustain it?
4. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
5. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
6. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
7. Why does the group feel compelled to take Fina-Kajsa with them on the rest of the journey?
8. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
9. What are Kristina's feelings about her new house in America and what is the only positive thing she can say to Karl?
10. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)