|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Robert hurriedly studying English?
(a) So he can pay for items and not be overcharged.
(b) So he can talk to girls.
(c) So he can order food in a restaurant.
(d) So he can speak for the group after their guide leaves.
2. Where is the missing child in #36 found?
(a) Running after squirrels.
(b) A grove of fruit trees.
(c) On the dock.
(d) In a store.
3. Where does the group disembark from the steamboat in Chapter 9?
4. How many children does Danjel have?
5. What kind of animal does Karl see which has fallen into the water?
Short Answer Questions
1. How far is Karl's homestead from the town of Taylor Falls?
2. What disease do the authorities check for before allowing the passengers to disembark?
3. How many children do Karl Oskar and his wife, Kristina, have?
4. The passengers take up a collection for ______________________.
5. The farmers and their families on board the ship are from which country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
2. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
3. What are Robert's plans for his life in America and how does he prepare?
4. Who are the principal characters in the book and what is their destination for settling in America?
5. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
6. When does the group encounter Anders and why is Fina-Kajsa upset with him?
7. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
8. Who is Henry O. Jackson and how does he help the group?
9. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
10. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)