|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the missing child in #36 found?
(a) Running after squirrels.
(b) On the dock.
(c) In a store.
(d) A grove of fruit trees.
2. Who is Robert's best friend?
3. What is the name of the steamboat which takes the group to Albany?
(a) The Albany Frigate.
(b) The Nationalist.
(c) The Desperado.
(d) The Isaac Newton.
4. Which one of Karl and Kristina's children died while they were still in Sweden?
5. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
(a) It is not fully cooked.
(b) They think it is tained.
(c) They are allergic to it.
(d) It is moldy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl think about Anders after spending some time with him?
2. What is Anna Johansdotter's nickname?
3. Who is the oldest person in the group of farmers?
4. What do the travelers call the prairie?
5. Some of the people who have come to America have _________________ motives.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
2. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
3. Who is Henry O. Jackson and how does he help the group?
4. Who was Anna and why does Kristine bring up her name as they search for Lill-Marta?
5. What is the nature of Karl's personality and what examples does the author give?
6. Who are the principal characters in the book and what is their destination for settling in America?
7. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore to buy food one day?
8. What is the ship that arrives in Chapter 1 and why are the passengers detained from disembarking?
9. How does Robert's misunderstanding of the English language create a problem between Ulrika and Karl?
10. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)