|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kristina is pregnant with a child who will be born before __________________.
(a) the end of Spring.
(b) the house is built.
2. Some of the people who have come to America have _________________ motives.
3. Which one of Karl and Kristina's children died while they were still in Sweden?
4. Why is Robert hurriedly studying English?
(a) So he can order food in a restaurant.
(b) So he can talk to girls.
(c) So he can speak for the group after their guide leaves.
(d) So he can pay for items and not be overcharged.
5. What do Ulrika and Elin wear to ward off illness?
(b) Mustard plaster.
(d) Herb pouches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man who Karl Oskar knows who lives in the state in #7?
2. The members of the group think that the woman in the flowing robe on a coin must be _____________________.
3. Who is the oldest person in the group of farmers?
4. One of the first men to welcome the new settlers is Samuel ______________.
5. Where does the group disembark from the steamboat in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Robert's health problem and how did he sustain it?
2. Who is Lill-Marta and why does she cause such alarm as the boat is ready to depart?
3. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
4. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
5. Who are the principal characters in the book and what is their destination for settling in America?
6. How had Karl determined where he wanted to settle in America?
7. What are two major obstacles that the immigrants must face as they leave the steamboat at Stillwater?
8. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
9. Who was Anna and why does Kristine bring up her name as they search for Lill-Marta?
10. What is the ship that arrives in Chapter 1 and why are the passengers detained from disembarking?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)