|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease do the authorities check for before allowing the passengers to disembark?
2. What is Anna Johansdotter's nickname?
(a) Anna Banana.
(c) Swedish Anna.
(d) Anna Sweden.
3. Which one of the children is missing when it is time to re-board the ship?
4. Where does Anders take the men?
(a) To the doctor's office.
(b) To find the land they want to homestead.
(c) To the courthouse.
(d) To church.
5. What type of animal helps himself to the group's food one night but is not identifiable by the group?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Fina-Kajas' sons does the group encounter on their trip?
2. Where is Karl Oskar headed with his family?
3. What type of trees do the men take special note of in the forest?
4. What does Karl go in search of when the boat docks one day to take on wood?
5. Who is the man who Karl Oskar knows who lives in the state in #7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Karl selected as leader of the group and who is the man who will act as their guide to the new homesteads?
2. Who is Henry O. Jackson and how does he help the group?
3. Why does Ulrika hope for a better life in America?
4. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
5. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
6. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
7. What are Kristina's feelings about her new house in America and what is the only positive thing she can say to Karl?
8. Who are the principal characters in the book and what is their destination for settling in America?
9. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
10. What are Robert's plans for his life in America and how does he prepare?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)