|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the travelers realize as they pass over the prairie?
(a) They have made a mistake.
(b) They will never return to Sweden.
(c) They will need equipment to plow.
(d) They love this new land.
2. Who is the guide the ship's captain locates to help Karl and the others get to their destination?
(a) Jons Dahlgren.
(b) Loffe Ekstrom.
(c) Anderson Blum.
(d) Long Landberg.
3. What is the final destination of the group?
(a) Taylor Falls.
4. What type of animal helps himself to the group's food one night but is not identifiable by the group?
5. What city does the group arrive at in Chapter 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. The people who Ulrika meets on the trip think she is a _________________.
2. Who is the Baptist minister who helps the group?
3. What does Karl go in search of when the boat docks one day to take on wood?
4. Anders tells the men that they may have to dig as deep as __________ feet if they want a well for their water supply.
5. How many children does Danjel have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
2. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
3. Who is Lill-Marta and why does she cause such alarm as the boat is ready to depart?
4. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
5. What are two major obstacles that the immigrants must face as they leave the steamboat at Stillwater?
6. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
7. How does the nature of Kristina's fears change as the journey progresses through the forest?
8. What is the ship that arrives in Chapter 1 and why are the passengers detained from disembarking?
9. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore to buy food one day?
10. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)