|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children does Danjel have?
2. The passengers take up a collection for ______________________.
(a) the family of the man who drowned.
(c) fresh water.
(d) the captain.
3. How must the group travel on the last leg of their journey?
4. What kind of animal does Karl see which has fallen into the water?
5. How far is Karl's homestead from the town of Taylor Falls?
(a) 30 miles.
(b) 75 miles.
(c) 9 miles.
(d) 2 miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robert not want to make a huge fortune?
2. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
3. Who is Robert's best friend?
4. What is the name of the park where the new emigrants gather?
5. The farmers and their families on board the ship are from which country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are some of the other important characters in the book?
2. What are Robert's plans for his life in America and how does he prepare?
3. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
4. How had Karl determined where he wanted to settle in America?
5. How does Robert's misunderstanding of the English language create a problem between Ulrika and Karl?
6. Who is Henry O. Jackson and how does he help the group?
7. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
8. What is the nature of Karl's personality and what examples does the author give?
9. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
10. Why does the group feel compelled to take Fina-Kajsa with them on the rest of the journey?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)