|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Karl's younger brother who is also on the trip?
2. What disease do the authorities check for before allowing the passengers to disembark?
3. Why does Danjel think his child died?
(a) So she could be with her dead mother.
(b) Because he was angry with God.
(c) To give him one less mouth to feed.
(d) So Danjel would move his devotion back to God.
4. What does Karl think about Anders after spending some time with him?
(a) Anders is not his real name.
(b) Anders has committed a crime.
(c) Anders has a secret.
(d) Anders is lying.
5. Where do many of the passengers go ashore when the ship makes a stop?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the boat stops periodically, a few men go ashore with a bundle and __________________.
2. Who is Ulrika's daughter?
3. One of the first men to welcome the new settlers is Samuel ______________.
4. The members of the group think that the woman in the flowing robe on a coin must be _____________________.
5. What is the name of the ship that arrives in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does religion play in the decisions of the immigrants to leave Sweden and come to America?
2. Who is Lill-Marta and why does she cause such alarm as the boat is ready to depart?
3. What are two major obstacles that the immigrants must face as they leave the steamboat at Stillwater?
4. How does Robert's misunderstanding of the English language create a problem between Ulrika and Karl?
5. What are Kristina's feelings about her new house in America and what is the only positive thing she can say to Karl?
6. Who was Anna and why does Kristine bring up her name as they search for Lill-Marta?
7. Why is Ulrika so mad at Karl when the guide tells them how far they have to travel to get to Minnesota?
8. How had Karl determined where he wanted to settle in America?
9. When does the group encounter Anders and why is Fina-Kajsa upset with him?
10. How does the nature of Kristina's fears change as the journey progresses through the forest?
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)