|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children do Karl Oskar and his wife, Kristina, have?
2. What does Robert plan to not buy?
(a) A tractor.
(b) A house.
(c) Seed corn.
(d) Too many possessions.
3. Who is Karl's younger brother who is also on the trip?
4. Which of Danjel's children dies on board the steamer ship?
5. Why are the children disappointed when Karl returns to the ship?
(a) He does not have any blankets.
(b) He does not have any milk.
(c) He did not buy any candy.
(d) He could not find any books.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of Karl and Kristina's children?
2. What disease do the authorities check for before allowing the passengers to disembark?
3. Why is Ulrika angry with Karl?
4. What is Danjel's religion?
5. What do the travelers realize as they pass over the prairie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lill-Marta and why does she cause such alarm as the boat is ready to depart?
2. What does Sigurd Thomasson warn the group about as they continue their journey?
3. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
4. Who are some of the other important characters in the book?
5. What are two major obstacles that the immigrants must face as they leave the steamboat at Stillwater?
6. Why is Ulrika so mad at Karl when the guide tells them how far they have to travel to get to Minnesota?
7. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
8. What are Kristina's feelings about her new house in America and what is the only positive thing she can say to Karl?
9. What is the ship that arrives in Chapter 1 and why are the passengers detained from disembarking?
10. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)