|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Anders tells the men that they may have to dig as deep as __________ feet if they want a well for their water supply.
2. The people who Ulrika meets on the trip think she is a _________________.
3. The group's late arrival in America means that they _______________________.
(a) may not be able to get a crop planted for this season.
(b) cannot try to cross the mountains because of snow.
(c) will not be able to make a land claim.
(d) will not have the right clothes for this season.
4. Danjel notes that he fully expected God to destroy __________________.
(b) the king.
5. Where do many of the passengers go ashore when the ship makes a stop?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the guide the ship's captain locates to help Karl and the others get to their destination?
2. What happens to a man who falls off the boat into the river?
3. What does Karl go in search of when the boat docks one day to take on wood?
4. What does Robert study in preparation for the farmers' new lives in America?
5. Where is the missing child in #36 found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ulrika so mad at Karl when the guide tells them how far they have to travel to get to Minnesota?
2. Why is the trip across the prairie a difficult one for the immigrants?
3. What suffers in Karl and Kristina's marriage due to Karl's ambition?
4. What are Robert's plans for his life in America and how does he prepare?
5. Describe the story Robert tells Elin about his and Arvid's adventure in New York and why does he feel the need to embellish?
6. What is the nature of Robert's health problem and how did he sustain it?
7. Why are the immigrants surprised by Anders' house?
8. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore to buy food one day?
9. What is the nature of Danjel's personality and what examples does the author provide?
10. Why do a few men leave the ship with a bundle and shovels when it stops?
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)