|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert believes that the sounds he hears in the bushes is __________________.
2. Why does Robert want his hair cut as short as possible?
(a) To feel more masculine.
(b) To look more attractive to the young women.
(c) To keep it out of his eyes while working.
(d) So Indians will be less inclined to scalp him.
3. Why does Kristina wish she had a cat?
(a) To chase away the rats.
(b) To remind her of home.
(c) She does not like cats.
(d) For company.
4. Ulrika has also turned down a marriage proposal from a ______________ man in town.
5. Who does Kristina ask Karl to go for to help her during the birth of her child?
6. Who was Karl and Kristina's daughter who died when they were in Sweden?
7. What is the secret that Anders has been keeping?
(a) He used to be a minister.
(b) He is an ex-convict.
(c) He left his wife and children.
(d) He is a drunk.
8. Which of Robert's Swedish friends made the trip with him to America?
9. How much does Kristina's new baby weigh?
(a) 7 pounds.
(b) 10.5 pounds.
(c) 12 pounds.
(d) 8.5 pounds.
10. Who sent the letter that Karl is now able to get at the post office?
(b) Kristina's godmother.
(c) His parents.
(d) Kristina's parents.
11. What does Karl spend most of his time doing?
(a) Building the house.
(b) Cutting down trees.
(c) Plowing the field.
(d) Making new friends.
12. What business also serves as a post office in town?
(a) The church.
(b) The blacksmith shop.
(c) The feed story.
(d) A small store.
13. Kristina continues to battle ___________________.
14. Kristina uses a concoction of rabbit fat and _____________ to wash the skunk smell out of Johan's clothes.
15. How does Kristina cook the family's meals?
(a) They eat only cold meals.
(b) The fireplace.
(c) On an open fire outside.
(d) A fire pit in the shanty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will care for Danjel's children when Ulrika leaves?
2. Why is the Indian in the tree?
3. What is the big draw for Robert in the state he wants to move to?
4. What do Karl and Kristina never discuss?
5. Who does Karl tell Kristina that the letter is from?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)