|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many windows does Karl buy for the house he is building for his family?
2. What is the secret that Anders has been keeping?
(a) He left his wife and children.
(b) He is a drunk.
(c) He is an ex-convict.
(d) He used to be a minister.
3. What does Karl carry on his back on the way back from town?
(a) A bag of toys.
(b) A sack of flour.
(c) A bag of oranges.
(d) A side of beef.
4. How much does Kristina's new baby weigh?
(a) 7 pounds.
(b) 8.5 pounds.
(c) 12 pounds.
(d) 10.5 pounds.
5. Why is the Indian in the tree?
(a) He is a lookout.
(b) He is a runaway.
(c) He is dead and secured there until the ground thaws for burial.
(d) He has a good vantage point for hunting.
6. What business also serves as a post office in town?
(a) The church.
(b) A small store.
(c) The feed story.
(d) The blacksmith shop.
7. Which of the following is NOT a piece of furniture that Karl makes during the first winter?
8. A cliff near a creek strongly resembles ___________________.
(a) the head of an Indian.
(b) a man's hat.
(c) a lightning bolt.
(d) the shape of Sweden.
9. What did Karl bring with him from Sweden which he realizes now will be very helpful?
(a) Fishing supplies.
(c) Elderberry bushes.
(d) Seed corn.
10. Who comes to the cabin one day and frightens Kristina?
(c) Black men.
11. What does Karl believe about the Indians?
(a) They are intelligent.
(b) They are loyal.
(c) They are fearless.
(d) They are lazy.
12. When does Robert plan to tell Karl that Robert is leaving?
(a) The day before his departure.
(b) He'll send a telegram after he's gone.
(c) A month before he leaves.
(d) The day of his departure.
13. How much money does Johan receive in #167?
(a) A nickel.
(b) A penny.
(c) A quarter.
(d) A dime.
14. When do Samuel Nojd and Swedish Anna come to visit Karl and Kristina?
(b) New Year's.
15. What is the big draw for Robert in the state he wants to move to?
(a) Citrus fruit.
(b) Warm weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Danjel tell Arvid when Arvid says he is leaving for California?
2. Who will christen the new baby?
3. Who has now proposed to Ulrika?
4. What do Karl and Kristina think as they watch Robert and Arvid leave?
5. Kristina continues to battle ___________________.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)