|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karl notice about the man in #162 when he stops at his house?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is in a coma.
(c) He is praying.
(d) He has cholera.
2. What does Karl produce and sell to some of his neighbors?
3. Who had paid for the passage of the man in #125 to America?
4. What job does Elin get in town?
(a) A seamstress.
(b) A maid.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A cook.
5. What does Johan bring home one day that indicates the approach of spring?
(a) A flower.
(b) A baby bunny.
(c) A bird's egg.
(d) A toad.
6. What is the name of the closest town for Karl and Kristina?
(d) Maple Grove.
7. At whose house does Karl stop on the way home from the post office?
8. What is the only piece of furniture in the shanty?
(a) A table.
(b) The chest.
(c) A chair.
(d) A bed.
9. A cliff near a creek strongly resembles ___________________.
(a) the shape of Sweden.
(b) a lightning bolt.
(c) a man's hat.
(d) the head of an Indian.
10. What is the big draw for Robert in the state he wants to move to?
(b) Citrus fruit.
(d) Warm weather.
11. Why is the Indian in the tree?
(a) He is a lookout.
(b) He has a good vantage point for hunting.
(c) He is dead and secured there until the ground thaws for burial.
(d) He is a runaway.
12. What did Karl bring with him from Sweden which he realizes now will be very helpful?
(b) Fishing supplies.
(c) Elderberry bushes.
(d) Seed corn.
13. Karl had only enough money to build their house or buy _______________.
(a) new coats.
(b) a cow.
(d) a plow.
14. How much money does Johan receive in #167?
(a) A penny.
(b) A nickel.
(c) A quarter.
(d) A dime.
15. What does Swedish Anna bring for Harald when she visits?
(a) A ball.
(b) A puppet.
(d) A coat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Karl and the other men to build Karl's house?
2. Who sent the letter that Karl is now able to get at the post office?
3. Which of the following does Karl NOT focus on when writing a letter to his parents?
4. Kristina continues to battle ___________________.
5. Which food has Danjel offered to share with Karl and Kristina's family?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)