|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Samuel Nojd and Swedish Anna come to visit Karl and Kristina?
(b) New Year's.
2. What does the person in #112 suggest might be the reason for Kristina's early labor?
(a) There was a full moon the night before.
(b) She may be having twins.
(c) She has been doing a lot of physical labor.
(d) Her body has not adjusted to the new time zone.
3. Who was Karl and Kristina's daughter who died when they were in Sweden?
4. What does Karl spend most of his time doing?
(a) Plowing the field.
(b) Making new friends.
(c) Building the house.
(d) Cutting down trees.
5. What does Kristina ask Karl to buy but he does not have enough money?
(a) A stove.
(c) A cow.
(d) A bed.
6. Why can the man in #142 not christen the new baby?
(a) He is gone for the holidays.
(b) He has retired.
(c) He is not Lutheran.
(d) He is away on a hunt.
7. Because of the shock of the intruders in #109, Kristina goes into labor ___________ weeks early.
8. What job does Elin get in town?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A cook.
(c) A seamstress.
(d) A maid.
9. How does Kristina cook the family's meals?
(a) They eat only cold meals.
(b) The fireplace.
(c) On an open fire outside.
(d) A fire pit in the shanty.
10. What does Karl believe about the Indians?
(a) They are loyal.
(b) They are lazy.
(c) They are fearless.
(d) They are intelligent.
11. Why does Kristina wish she had a cat?
(a) To chase away the rats.
(b) She does not like cats.
(c) To remind her of home.
(d) For company.
12. How many windows does Karl buy for the house he is building for his family?
13. What does the agitated Robert tell Karl when he returns home?
(a) He is injured.
(b) He is moving away.
(c) He shot an Indian.
(d) He shot an elk.
14. Who has now proposed to Ulrika?
(a) Samuel Nojd.
(b) John Johanssen.
(c) Sven Andersson.
(d) Lars Nyberg.
15. Kristina feels sorry for the Indians because _____________________.
(a) they don't have cabins.
(b) they seem malnourished.
(c) they don't believe in God.
(d) they are forced off their land.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Indian in the tree?
2. One day when Robert is out hunting, he sees the tracks of which kind of animal?
3. What is the profession of the man in #172?
4. How much money does Karl give Robert for his trip to California?
5. Kristina continues to battle ___________________.
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)