|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the settlers waiting for in Chapter 23?
(a) The postman.
(b) Kristina's birthday.
(c) Karl's return.
2. Who does Karl tell Kristina that the letter is from?
(b) He does not know.
(c) Kristina's mother.
(d) Karl's father.
3. How much money does Karl give Robert for his trip to California?
(a) Twenty dollars.
(b) Fifty cents.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) One dollar.
4. What job does Elin get in town?
(a) A maid.
(b) A seamstress.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A cook.
5. Who had paid for the passage of the man in #125 to America?
6. What does the family use as a dining table in their shanty?
(a) A stretched quilt.
(b) A tree stump.
(c) The chest.
(d) A plank of wood.
7. What does the traveler buy from Karl?
8. What name is given to the new baby?
(a) Lars Karl Danjel.
(b) Erik Robert Danjel.
(c) Sven Oskar Danjel.
(d) Nils Oskar Danjel.
9. What happens to Karl on the way home from town?
(a) He gets lost in the snow.
(b) He passes out.
(c) He meets some new neighbors.
(d) He is attacked by Indians.
10. Ulrika has also turned down a marriage proposal from a ______________ man in town.
11. Why will Karl not borrow the money to redeem the letter?
(a) He is afraid of what the letter might say.
(b) He thinks it is an unfair charge.
(c) He does borrow the money.
(d) He is too embarrassed.
12. Karl had only enough money to build their house or buy _______________.
(b) a cow.
(c) new coats.
(d) a plow.
13. Which of Robert's Swedish friends made the trip with him to America?
14. How long does it take Karl and the other men to build Karl's house?
(a) A year.
(b) A month.
(c) A day.
(d) A week.
15. Robert is secretly making plans to go to _____________ to live.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the big draw for Robert in the state he wants to move to?
2. What is Ulrika going to do as soon as the weather is warm enough?
3. Who was Karl and Kristina's daughter who died when they were in Sweden?
4. What does Johan bring home one day that indicates the approach of spring?
5. What does Karl produce and sell to some of his neighbors?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)