|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Karl borrow five dollars from Danjel?
(a) To buy food.
(b) To pay a doctor.
(c) To buy Christmas gifts.
(d) To get a horse.
2. What impediment does Robert suffer from?
(a) Speech impediment.
(b) Hearing loss.
(d) Bad eyesight.
3. What is the secret that Anders has been keeping?
(a) He left his wife and children.
(b) He used to be a minister.
(c) He is an ex-convict.
(d) He is a drunk.
4. Where does Robert plan to go once the Spring thaw comes?
5. What is the profession of the man in #172?
(a) Postmaster and Blacksmith.
(b) Postmaster and Storekeeper.
(c) Postmaster and Hotel Owner.
(d) Banker and Blacksmith.
6. What does Karl notice about the man in #162 when he stops at his house?
(a) He has cholera.
(b) He is praying.
(c) He is in a coma.
(d) He is drunk.
7. How does Kristina cook the family's meals?
(a) They eat only cold meals.
(b) On an open fire outside.
(c) A fire pit in the shanty.
(d) The fireplace.
8. What happens to Karl on the way home from town?
(a) He passes out.
(b) He meets some new neighbors.
(c) He is attacked by Indians.
(d) He gets lost in the snow.
9. What does Kristina cut up to make diapers and clothing for her new baby?
(c) Her bridal petticoat.
10. Which piece of furniture is Karl especially proud of making?
11. What does Danjel tell Arvid when Arvid says he is leaving for California?
(a) He does not want him to go because he needs the help.
(b) He will never make it there alive.
(c) He hopes he gets rich from all the gold.
(d) He has his blessing.
12. What does Karl cut and stack to use at a later time?
13. Who does Karl tell Kristina that the letter is from?
(a) Kristina's mother.
(b) He does not know.
(c) Karl's father.
14. Who was Karl and Kristina's daughter who died when they were in Sweden?
15. How long does it take Karl and the other men to build Karl's house?
(a) A day.
(b) A year.
(c) A week.
(d) A month.
Short Answer Questions
1. Karl tells Kristina that if she had known that she was moving to a place where her children were going to be without ______________, she would never have come.
2. Who sent the letter that Karl is now able to get at the post office?
3. Who will christen the new baby?
4. What is the big draw for Robert in the state he wants to move to?
5. What does Kanjel name his new farm?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)