|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Karl and Kristina think as they watch Robert and Arvid leave?
(a) They may never see them again.
(b) They will be very wealthy one day.
(c) They will be back in a month.
(d) They will probably get lost.
2. Why will Karl not borrow the money to redeem the letter?
(a) He does borrow the money.
(b) He thinks it is an unfair charge.
(c) He is afraid of what the letter might say.
(d) He is too embarrassed.
3. Karl finds it hard to believe that _____________ has changed from the person she was in Sweden.
4. What impediment does Robert suffer from?
(b) Hearing loss.
(c) Bad eyesight.
(d) Speech impediment.
5. What does Karl cut and stack to use at a later time?
6. How much does Kristina's new baby weigh?
(a) 10.5 pounds.
(b) 8.5 pounds.
(c) 12 pounds.
(d) 7 pounds.
7. What does the agitated Robert tell Karl when he returns home?
(a) He shot an elk.
(b) He is injured.
(c) He is moving away.
(d) He shot an Indian.
8. What does Kristina ask Karl to buy but he does not have enough money?
(a) A cow.
(b) A bed.
(d) A stove.
9. Karl tells Kristina that if she had known that she was moving to a place where her children were going to be without ______________, she would never have come.
(b) a school.
(c) ample food.
(d) new clothes.
10. What does the traveler buy from Karl?
11. What is the big draw for Robert in the state he wants to move to?
(b) Citrus fruit.
(d) Warm weather.
12. Why does Robert want his hair cut as short as possible?
(a) To feel more masculine.
(b) To look more attractive to the young women.
(c) To keep it out of his eyes while working.
(d) So Indians will be less inclined to scalp him.
13. How much does the man pay for the item in #169?
(a) Fifteen cents.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) Three dollars.
(d) Seven dollars.
14. A cliff near a creek strongly resembles ___________________.
(a) a lightning bolt.
(b) the head of an Indian.
(c) a man's hat.
(d) the shape of Sweden.
15. How long does it take Karl and the other men to build Karl's house?
(a) A week.
(b) A year.
(c) A day.
(d) A month.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kristina continues to battle ___________________.
2. Who does Kristina ask Karl to go for to help her during the birth of her child?
3. Who will care for Danjel's children when Ulrika leaves?
4. What frivolous purchase has Ulrika made?
5. Ulrika has also turned down a marriage proposal from a ______________ man in town.
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)