|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When it snows, Karl makes a rope of ________________ to tie between the house and the shed.
(b) linden bark.
2. Which of the following does Karl NOT focus on when writing a letter to his parents?
(a) Their new home.
(c) Good soil.
(d) A lake.
3. Karl tells Kristina that if she had known that she was moving to a place where her children were going to be without ______________, she would never have come.
(b) ample food.
(c) a school.
(d) new clothes.
4. Where does Robert plan to go once the Spring thaw comes?
5. Which piece of furniture is Karl especially proud of making?
6. What business also serves as a post office in town?
(a) The blacksmith shop.
(b) The feed story.
(c) A small store.
(d) The church.
7. What does Danjel tell Arvid when Arvid says he is leaving for California?
(a) He will never make it there alive.
(b) He does not want him to go because he needs the help.
(c) He has his blessing.
(d) He hopes he gets rich from all the gold.
8. Who comes to the cabin one day and frightens Kristina?
(b) Black men.
9. Who has proposed to Ulrika?
10. Who does Kristina consider to christen the new baby?
(a) Abe Witters.
(b) Henry Jackson.
(c) Nels Larsen.
(d) Samuel Johnson.
11. Why does Kristina wish she had a cat?
(a) To remind her of home.
(b) For company.
(c) She does not like cats.
(d) To chase away the rats.
12. Why can Karl not pick up the letter which is waiting for him at the post office?
(a) He cannot sign his name in English.
(b) He does not have the fifteen cents postage due.
(c) He can't make it through all the snow.
(d) The post office is closed.
13. What animal is Robert able to catch without firing his gun?
14. Who has now proposed to Ulrika?
(a) Sven Andersson.
(b) John Johanssen.
(c) Lars Nyberg.
(d) Samuel Nojd.
15. Who does Kristina ask Karl to go for to help her during the birth of her child?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person in #112 suggest might be the reason for Kristina's early labor?
2. How much money does Karl give Robert for his trip to California?
3. When do Samuel Nojd and Swedish Anna come to visit Karl and Kristina?
4. Ulrika has also turned down a marriage proposal from a ______________ man in town.
5. Karl finds it hard to believe that _____________ has changed from the person she was in Sweden.
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)