|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the Indian in the tree?
(a) He is dead and secured there until the ground thaws for burial.
(b) He has a good vantage point for hunting.
(c) He is a lookout.
(d) He is a runaway.
2. What does Johan bring home one day that indicates the approach of spring?
(a) A toad.
(b) A flower.
(c) A bird's egg.
(d) A baby bunny.
3. Why can Karl not pick up the letter which is waiting for him at the post office?
(a) He does not have the fifteen cents postage due.
(b) He can't make it through all the snow.
(c) He cannot sign his name in English.
(d) The post office is closed.
4. What does Kanjel name his new farm?
(a) New Karragarde.
(b) New Lindsborg.
(c) New Stockholm.
(d) New Varmlands.
5. Why does Kristina wish she had a cat?
(a) To remind her of home.
(b) For company.
(c) To chase away the rats.
(d) She does not like cats.
6. Where does Robert plan to go once the Spring thaw comes?
7. What is the name of the closest town for Karl and Kristina?
(a) Maple Grove.
8. When do Karl and Kristina move into their new home?
9. Kristina learns that Ulrika is to marry ______________________.
(a) Philip J. Bowdoin.
(b) Charles Meyers.
(c) Thomas Sanderson.
(d) Walter H. Abbott.
10. What is the secret that Anders has been keeping?
(a) He used to be a minister.
(b) He is an ex-convict.
(c) He left his wife and children.
(d) He is a drunk.
11. What does Swedish Anna bring for Harald when she visits?
(a) A puppet.
(b) A ball.
(d) A coat.
12. What does Karl spend most of his time doing?
(a) Plowing the field.
(b) Making new friends.
(c) Building the house.
(d) Cutting down trees.
13. How much does Kristina's new baby weigh?
(a) 12 pounds.
(b) 10.5 pounds.
(c) 7 pounds.
(d) 8.5 pounds.
14. What happens to Karl on the way home from town?
(a) He passes out.
(b) He is attacked by Indians.
(c) He meets some new neighbors.
(d) He gets lost in the snow.
15. What does Robert see in a tree that frightens him?
(a) An eagle.
(b) An Indian.
(c) A cougar.
(d) An owl.
Short Answer Questions
1. A cliff near a creek strongly resembles ___________________.
2. Kristina feels sorry for the Indians because _____________________.
3. What is Ulrika going to do as soon as the weather is warm enough?
4. What is the only piece of furniture in the shanty?
5. Because of the shock of the intruders in #109, Kristina goes into labor ___________ weeks early.
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)