|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karl produce and sell to some of his neighbors?
2. What does Kristina cut up to make diapers and clothing for her new baby?
(a) Her bridal petticoat.
3. What does Karl cut and stack to use at a later time?
4. What does Kristina do when she thinks the men in #109 are going to kill her?
(d) Thrashes out.
5. Which of the following is NOT a piece of furniture that Karl makes during the first winter?
6. Karl had only enough money to build their house or buy _______________.
(a) a plow.
(b) a cow.
(d) new coats.
7. Why does Robert want his hair cut as short as possible?
(a) To feel more masculine.
(b) So Indians will be less inclined to scalp him.
(c) To look more attractive to the young women.
(d) To keep it out of his eyes while working.
8. What did Karl bring with him from Sweden which he realizes now will be very helpful?
(b) Seed corn.
(c) Elderberry bushes.
(d) Fishing supplies.
9. Why can Karl not pick up the letter which is waiting for him at the post office?
(a) He does not have the fifteen cents postage due.
(b) He cannot sign his name in English.
(c) The post office is closed.
(d) He can't make it through all the snow.
10. Who was Karl and Kristina's daughter who died when they were in Sweden?
11. What does Karl carry on his back on the way back from town?
(a) A side of beef.
(b) A sack of flour.
(c) A bag of oranges.
(d) A bag of toys.
12. How much does Kristina's new baby weigh?
(a) 10.5 pounds.
(b) 7 pounds.
(c) 8.5 pounds.
(d) 12 pounds.
13. Kristina learns that Ulrika is to marry ______________________.
(a) Walter H. Abbott.
(b) Thomas Sanderson.
(c) Philip J. Bowdoin.
(d) Charles Meyers.
14. Kristina continues to battle ___________________.
15. Kristina feels sorry for the Indians because _____________________.
(a) they are forced off their land.
(b) they seem malnourished.
(c) they don't believe in God.
(d) they don't have cabins.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Karl and the other men to build Karl's house?
2. What religion does Ulrika feel is best for her?
3. Who does Kristina consider to christen the new baby?
4. Who does Karl tell Kristina that the letter is from?
5. Why can the man in #142 not christen the new baby?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)