|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sent the letter that Karl is now able to get at the post office?
(a) Kristina's parents.
(b) Kristina's godmother.
(c) His parents.
2. What business also serves as a post office in town?
(a) A small store.
(b) The church.
(c) The blacksmith shop.
(d) The feed story.
3. What does Swedish Anna bring for Harald when she visits?
(b) A coat.
(c) A ball.
(d) A puppet.
4. What does Kristina cut up to make diapers and clothing for her new baby?
(c) Her bridal petticoat.
5. What job does Elin get in town?
(a) A seamstress.
(b) A cook.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A maid.
6. What is the secret that Anders has been keeping?
(a) He used to be a minister.
(b) He is an ex-convict.
(c) He left his wife and children.
(d) He is a drunk.
7. Ulrika has also turned down a marriage proposal from a ______________ man in town.
8. Why does Karl borrow five dollars from Danjel?
(a) To buy Christmas gifts.
(b) To get a horse.
(c) To buy food.
(d) To pay a doctor.
9. What does Anders loan to Karl and Kristina for the winter?
(c) A cow.
10. Who does Kristina ask Karl to go for to help her during the birth of her child?
11. What does Johan bring home one day that indicates the approach of spring?
(a) A bird's egg.
(b) A flower.
(c) A baby bunny.
(d) A toad.
12. What does Kristina ask Karl to buy but he does not have enough money?
(a) A cow.
(c) A stove.
(d) A bed.
13. Which food has Danjel offered to share with Karl and Kristina's family?
14. Robert believes that the Indians have a way of life ____________________.
(a) that is wholesome.
(b) much preferable to his.
(c) that is resourceful.
(d) which will soon be extinct.
15. When do Samuel Nojd and Swedish Anna come to visit Karl and Kristina?
(a) New Year's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl carry on his back on the way back from town?
2. What is the only piece of furniture in the shanty?
3. Who had paid for the passage of the man in #125 to America?
4. Kristina feels sorry for the Indians because _____________________.
5. What does the agitated Robert tell Karl when he returns home?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)