|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some of the people who have come to America have _________________ motives.
2. What is the name of the ship that arrives in Chapter 1?
(a) The Vagabond.
(b) The Raven.
(c) The Sentinel.
(d) The Charlotta.
3. What tribe of Indians are the travelers likely to encounter on their trip?
4. Who cares for Danjel's children since Danjel's wife died?
5. Who is the guide the ship's captain locates to help Karl and the others get to their destination?
(a) Loffe Ekstrom.
(b) Anderson Blum.
(c) Long Landberg.
(d) Jons Dahlgren.
6. Kristina is glad that her family in Sweden cannot see __________________.
(a) how homesick she is.
(b) how poor they are.
(c) how little their house is.
(d) how Karl is mean to her.
7. How far is Karl's homestead from the town of Taylor Falls?
(a) 75 miles.
(b) 30 miles.
(c) 2 miles.
(d) 9 miles.
8. Why is Robert hurriedly studying English?
(a) So he can speak for the group after their guide leaves.
(b) So he can pay for items and not be overcharged.
(c) So he can order food in a restaurant.
(d) So he can talk to girls.
9. Why are the children disappointed when Karl returns to the ship?
(a) He does not have any blankets.
(b) He could not find any books.
(c) He does not have any milk.
(d) He did not buy any candy.
10. Kristina is pregnant with a child who will be born before __________________.
(b) the house is built.
(c) the end of Spring.
11. Robert knows that he will have to learn the English language in order to _____________________.
(a) go to church.
(b) buy dry goods.
(c) avoid being murdered in America.
(d) sell crops.
12. Which insect does Anders tell the men can be a big problem for farmers?
13. Who is Ulrika's daughter?
14. Which one of Karl and Kristina's children died while they were still in Sweden?
15. How far away from their final destination is the town in #61?
(a) 5 miles.
(b) 30 miles.
(c) 500 miles.
(d) 100 miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Danjel think his child died?
2. One of the first men to welcome the new settlers is Samuel ______________.
3. What does Robert study in preparation for the farmers' new lives in America?
4. What disease do the authorities check for before allowing the passengers to disembark?
5. What sign is Karl unable to read on the train?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)