|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
2. Where do many of the passengers go ashore when the ship makes a stop?
3. The members of the group think that the woman in the flowing robe on a coin must be _____________________.
(a) the president's wife.
(b) an angel.
(c) a saint.
(d) Lady Liberty.
4. What does Karl think about Anders after spending some time with him?
(a) Anders is lying.
(b) Anders has a secret.
(c) Anders has committed a crime.
(d) Anders is not his real name.
5. Who is the Baptist minister who helps the group?
(a) Milford Hunt.
(b) J. Johnson Hall.
(c) Henry O. Jackson.
(d) Everett Hansen.
6. Where is Karl Oskar headed with his family?
7. Which of Danjel's children dies on board the steamer ship?
8. Anders tells the men that they may have to dig as deep as __________ feet if they want a well for their water supply.
9. What happens to a man who falls off the boat into the river?
(a) He is picked up by another boat.
(b) He drowns.
(c) He swims to shore.
(d) He is rescued by the captain.
10. How far is Karl's homestead from the town of Taylor Falls?
(a) 2 miles.
(b) 75 miles.
(c) 30 miles.
(d) 9 miles.
11. Where does Anders take the men?
(a) To church.
(b) To find the land they want to homestead.
(c) To the doctor's office.
(d) To the courthouse.
12. One of the first men to welcome the new settlers is Samuel ______________.
13. Why will Karl and Kristina not allow their children to eat the food on the ship?
(a) They think it is tained.
(b) It is not fully cooked.
(c) It is moldy.
(d) They are allergic to it.
14. Why does the steamboat captain warn the passengers to not stay in the area where they disembark?
(a) There has been cholera in the area.
(b) There have been Indian attacks in the area.
(c) There is a blizzard coming.
(d) They need to hurry to claim their land.
15. Karl is surprised to learn that Anders has only ____________ acres plowed in the time he has lived in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Karl and Kristina's children died while they were still in Sweden?
2. How many children do Karl Oskar and his wife, Kristina, have?
3. What does Robert request of a woman at a house along the way?
4. Why is Robert hurriedly studying English?
5. What does Robert do faithfully each day while on the ship?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)