|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the items in Kristina's basket which is almost the last of the food for the group?
(c) Dried apples.
2. The group's late arrival in America means that they _______________________.
(a) may not be able to get a crop planted for this season.
(b) will not have the right clothes for this season.
(c) will not be able to make a land claim.
(d) cannot try to cross the mountains because of snow.
3. What does Robert plan to not buy?
(a) Too many possessions.
(b) Seed corn.
(c) A house.
(d) A tractor.
4. Where does the ship dock in America?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) New York.
5. Why is Robert hurriedly studying English?
(a) So he can pay for items and not be overcharged.
(b) So he can order food in a restaurant.
(c) So he can talk to girls.
(d) So he can speak for the group after their guide leaves.
6. What do the travelers realize as they pass over the prairie?
(a) They have made a mistake.
(b) They will need equipment to plow.
(c) They love this new land.
(d) They will never return to Sweden.
7. What is the name of the steamboat which takes the group to Albany?
(a) The Isaac Newton.
(b) The Albany Frigate.
(c) The Nationalist.
(d) The Desperado.
8. How many children does Danjel have?
9. Why does Danjel think his child died?
(a) So she could be with her dead mother.
(b) To give him one less mouth to feed.
(c) So Danjel would move his devotion back to God.
(d) Because he was angry with God.
10. Karl is surprised to learn that Anders has only ____________ acres plowed in the time he has lived in America.
11. Where do many of the passengers go ashore when the ship makes a stop?
12. Where does Anders take the men?
(a) To the courthouse.
(b) To church.
(c) To find the land they want to homestead.
(d) To the doctor's office.
13. What is a requirement for the men as they select their homesteads?
(a) A church close by.
(b) Short distance to town.
(c) Running water nearby.
(d) Apple trees.
14. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore?
(a) He loses all his money.
(b) He has a heart attack.
(c) He gets lost.
(d) He is attacked by thieves.
15. The members of the group think that the woman in the flowing robe on a coin must be _____________________.
(a) the president's wife.
(b) a saint.
(c) an angel.
(d) Lady Liberty.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Anders lived in America?
2. Who is the Baptist minister who helps the group?
3. Who is the man who Karl Oskar knows who lives in the state in #7?
4. Why are the children disappointed when Karl returns to the ship?
5. Karl finds the land he wants by a lake called ____________________.
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)