|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Anders take the men?
(a) To find the land they want to homestead.
(b) To church.
(c) To the doctor's office.
(d) To the courthouse.
2. Why does Robert not want to make a huge fortune?
(a) He does want to make a huge fortune.
(b) He would be a target for thieves.
(c) It would be difficult to handle.
(d) People would always want his money.
3. What does Robert plan to not buy?
(a) Too many possessions.
(b) Seed corn.
(c) A house.
(d) A tractor.
4. Why are the children disappointed when Karl returns to the ship?
(a) He does not have any blankets.
(b) He did not buy any candy.
(c) He does not have any milk.
(d) He could not find any books.
5. The members of the group think that the woman in the flowing robe on a coin must be _____________________.
(a) Lady Liberty.
(b) a saint.
(c) the president's wife.
(d) an angel.
6. What city does the group arrive at in Chapter 7?
7. Which of Danjel's children dies on board the steamer ship?
8. What does Karl go in search of when the boat docks one day to take on wood?
(a) Food and milk.
9. Why is Robert hurriedly studying English?
(a) So he can pay for items and not be overcharged.
(b) So he can speak for the group after their guide leaves.
(c) So he can talk to girls.
(d) So he can order food in a restaurant.
10. What is the final destination of the group?
(a) Taylor Falls.
11. Where is Karl Oskar headed with his family?
12. How far away from their final destination is the town in #61?
(a) 100 miles.
(b) 30 miles.
(c) 5 miles.
(d) 500 miles.
13. What type of trees do the men take special note of in the forest?
(b) Sugar Maple.
14. The group's late arrival in America means that they _______________________.
(a) will not have the right clothes for this season.
(b) will not be able to make a land claim.
(c) may not be able to get a crop planted for this season.
(d) cannot try to cross the mountains because of snow.
15. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore?
(a) He loses all his money.
(b) He has a heart attack.
(c) He gets lost.
(d) He is attacked by thieves.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far is Karl's homestead from the town of Taylor Falls?
2. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
3. What is the name of the park where the new emigrants gather?
4. Robert knows that he will have to learn the English language in order to _____________________.
5. One of the first men to welcome the new settlers is Samuel ______________.
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)