|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Danjel notes that he fully expected God to destroy __________________.
(d) the king.
2. What city does the group arrive at in Chapter 7?
3. Who is Kristina's uncle who is also on the trip?
4. How long has Anders lived in America?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 4 years.
5. Why is Robert hurriedly studying English?
(a) So he can speak for the group after their guide leaves.
(b) So he can talk to girls.
(c) So he can pay for items and not be overcharged.
(d) So he can order food in a restaurant.
6. Where is Karl Oskar headed with his family?
7. What is the name of the ship that arrives in Chapter 1?
(a) The Sentinel.
(b) The Vagabond.
(c) The Raven.
(d) The Charlotta.
8. What sign is Karl unable to read on the train?
(a) Dining car this way.
(b) Please hand ticket to porter.
(c) Danger! Watch your step.
(d) No smoking.
9. Why are the children disappointed when Karl returns to the ship?
(a) He did not buy any candy.
(b) He could not find any books.
(c) He does not have any blankets.
(d) He does not have any milk.
10. Where is the missing child in #36 found?
(a) On the dock.
(b) Running after squirrels.
(c) A grove of fruit trees.
(d) In a store.
11. Who is the guide the ship's captain locates to help Karl and the others get to their destination?
(a) Loffe Ekstrom.
(b) Long Landberg.
(c) Jons Dahlgren.
(d) Anderson Blum.
12. Ulrika is known as ______________________.
(a) the village whore.
(b) the village seamstress.
(c) the village baker.
(d) the village teacher.
13. Why is Ulrika angry with Karl?
(a) She thinks he misled the group on how long the trip would be.
(b) He has assigned himself as the leader of the group.
(c) She accuses him of stealing her food.
(d) He is disrespectful toward women.
14. What is a requirement for the men as they select their homesteads?
(a) Apple trees.
(b) Short distance to town.
(c) A church close by.
(d) Running water nearby.
15. Robert knows that he will have to learn the English language in order to _____________________.
(a) go to church.
(b) buy dry goods.
(c) sell crops.
(d) avoid being murdered in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do many of the passengers go ashore when the ship makes a stop?
2. Why does Robert not want to make a huge fortune?
3. How must the group travel on the last leg of their journey?
4. What does Karl think about Anders after spending some time with him?
5. What is the name of the park where the new emigrants gather?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)