|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do many of the passengers go ashore when the ship makes a stop?
2. To whom does Karl write a letter telling of the group's arrival in America?
(a) His parents.
(b) His brother.
(c) Kristina's uncle.
(d) His parish priest.
3. The people who Ulrika meets on the trip think she is a _________________.
4. Karl is surprised to learn that Anders has only ____________ acres plowed in the time he has lived in America.
5. How must the group travel on the last leg of their journey?
6. Why is Ulrika angry with Karl?
(a) She accuses him of stealing her food.
(b) He is disrespectful toward women.
(c) She thinks he misled the group on how long the trip would be.
(d) He has assigned himself as the leader of the group.
7. Which of Danjel's children dies on board the steamer ship?
8. What is Danjel's religion?
9. Karl is impressed that Anders has _________________.
(a) a pair of horses.
(b) a flock of geese.
(c) a mule.
(d) a team of oxen.
10. Robert hopes to earn enough money to find a doctor to help with ________________________.
(a) skin lesions.
(b) swollen joints.
(c) painful back.
(d) a hearing problem.
11. What type of trees do the men take special note of in the forest?
(d) Sugar Maple.
12. How many children do Karl Oskar and his wife, Kristina, have?
13. Kristina is glad that her family in Sweden cannot see __________________.
(a) how poor they are.
(b) how little their house is.
(c) how Karl is mean to her.
(d) how homesick she is.
14. What do Ulrika and Elin wear to ward off illness?
(c) Herb pouches.
(d) Mustard plaster.
15. The members of the group think that the woman in the flowing robe on a coin must be _____________________.
(a) Lady Liberty.
(b) an angel.
(c) the president's wife.
(d) a saint.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Karl's younger brother who is also on the trip?
2. Who is Robert's best friend?
3. Which one of Fina-Kajas' sons does the group encounter on their trip?
4. What type of animal helps himself to the group's food one night but is not identifiable by the group?
5. Where is the missing child in #36 found?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)