|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert do faithfully each day while on the ship?
(b) Sketches in a journal.
(c) Studies English.
(d) Writes letters.
2. How far is Karl's homestead from the town of Taylor Falls?
(a) 75 miles.
(b) 30 miles.
(c) 9 miles.
(d) 2 miles.
3. To whom does Karl write a letter telling of the group's arrival in America?
(a) His parish priest.
(b) His brother.
(c) His parents.
(d) Kristina's uncle.
4. What is a requirement for the men as they select their homesteads?
(a) Running water nearby.
(b) Short distance to town.
(c) Apple trees.
(d) A church close by.
5. Why is Ulrika angry with Karl?
(a) She accuses him of stealing her food.
(b) He is disrespectful toward women.
(c) He has assigned himself as the leader of the group.
(d) She thinks he misled the group on how long the trip would be.
6. What is the name of the park where the new emigrants gather?
(a) Liberty Park.
(b) MacArthur Park.
(c) Central Park.
(d) Battery Park.
7. The people who Ulrika meets on the trip think she is a _________________.
8. Where does the group disembark from the steamboat in Chapter 9?
9. What city does the group arrive at in Chapter 7?
10. Who is the oldest person in the group of farmers?
(a) Robert Bjork.
(b) Jonas Petters.
(c) Arvid Bremer.
(d) Lars Nyberg.
11. What is the final destination of the group?
(b) Taylor Falls.
12. Kristina is glad that her family in Sweden cannot see __________________.
(a) how little their house is.
(b) how Karl is mean to her.
(c) how homesick she is.
(d) how poor they are.
13. Which of Danjel's children dies on board the steamer ship?
14. What type of trees do the men take special note of in the forest?
(b) Sugar Maple.
15. What does Danjel create in everyone around him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Karl and Kristina's children died while they were still in Sweden?
2. Some of the people who have come to America have _________________ motives.
3. How long has Anders lived in America?
4. The group's late arrival in America means that they _______________________.
5. What does Robert plan to not buy?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)