|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of Karl and Kristina's children died while they were still in Sweden?
2. What do the travelers call the prairie?
(a) A sea of grass.
(b) A mirage.
(c) A blessing.
(d) A wasteland.
3. What is the name of the park where the new emigrants gather?
(a) Central Park.
(b) MacArthur Park.
(c) Battery Park.
(d) Liberty Park.
4. What does Karl go in search of when the boat docks one day to take on wood?
(a) Food and milk.
5. What is a requirement for the men as they select their homesteads?
(a) A church close by.
(b) Running water nearby.
(c) Short distance to town.
(d) Apple trees.
6. Who is the man who Karl Oskar knows who lives in the state in #7?
(a) Anders Mansson.
(b) Sven Larsen.
(c) Lars Nyberg.
(d) Karl Evers.
7. Who is the oldest person in the group of farmers?
(a) Jonas Petters.
(b) Lars Nyberg.
(c) Robert Bjork.
(d) Arvid Bremer.
8. Which insect does Anders tell the men can be a big problem for farmers?
9. What is the name of the ship that will take the group almost all the way to their destination?
(a) The Vanguard.
(b) The Driftwood.
(c) The Sea Mist.
(d) The Red Wing.
10. What type of animal helps himself to the group's food one night but is not identifiable by the group?
11. Danjel notes that he fully expected God to destroy __________________.
(a) the king.
12. Who cares for Danjel's children since Danjel's wife died?
13. Karl finds the land he wants by a lake called ____________________.
(c) Big Eagle.
14. The passengers take up a collection for ______________________.
(a) fresh water.
(b) the captain.
(c) the family of the man who drowned.
15. The people who Ulrika meets on the trip think she is a _________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the steamboat captain warn the passengers to not stay in the area where they disembark?
2. Where does the ship dock in America?
3. What do Ulrika and Elin wear to ward off illness?
4. What does Robert do faithfully each day while on the ship?
5. To whom does Karl write a letter telling of the group's arrival in America?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)