|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karl think about Anders after spending some time with him?
(a) Anders is lying.
(b) Anders has a secret.
(c) Anders is not his real name.
(d) Anders has committed a crime.
2. How many children do Karl Oskar and his wife, Kristina, have?
3. Why is Robert hurriedly studying English?
(a) So he can speak for the group after their guide leaves.
(b) So he can talk to girls.
(c) So he can pay for items and not be overcharged.
(d) So he can order food in a restaurant.
4. The group's late arrival in America means that they _______________________.
(a) may not be able to get a crop planted for this season.
(b) cannot try to cross the mountains because of snow.
(c) will not have the right clothes for this season.
(d) will not be able to make a land claim.
5. Which one of Karl and Kristina's children died while they were still in Sweden?
6. Which insect does Anders tell the men can be a big problem for farmers?
7. What does Danjel create in everyone around him?
8. The farmers and their families on board the ship are from which country?
9. What tribe of Indians are the travelers likely to encounter on their trip?
10. What type of trees do the men take special note of in the forest?
(d) Sugar Maple.
11. What city does the group arrive at in Chapter 7?
12. What is Danjel's religion?
13. What do the travelers realize as they pass over the prairie?
(a) They have made a mistake.
(b) They will need equipment to plow.
(c) They love this new land.
(d) They will never return to Sweden.
14. What is the name of the steamboat which takes the group to Albany?
(a) The Isaac Newton.
(b) The Albany Frigate.
(c) The Desperado.
(d) The Nationalist.
15. Who is the guide the ship's captain locates to help Karl and the others get to their destination?
(a) Jons Dahlgren.
(b) Long Landberg.
(c) Anderson Blum.
(d) Loffe Ekstrom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Karl's younger brother who is also on the trip?
2. Where does the group disembark from the steamboat in Chapter 9?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of Karl and Kristina's children?
4. How must the group travel on the last leg of their journey?
5. Karl is surprised to learn that Anders has only ____________ acres plowed in the time he has lived in America.
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)