|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the steamboat captain warn the passengers to not stay in the area where they disembark?
(a) There have been Indian attacks in the area.
(b) There has been cholera in the area.
(c) They need to hurry to claim their land.
(d) There is a blizzard coming.
2. What is Anna Johansdotter's nickname?
(a) Anna Sweden.
(b) Anna Banana.
(c) Swedish Anna.
3. Why is Ulrika angry with Karl?
(a) He has assigned himself as the leader of the group.
(b) He is disrespectful toward women.
(c) She accuses him of stealing her food.
(d) She thinks he misled the group on how long the trip would be.
4. How long has Anders lived in America?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 1 year.
5. The passengers learn that there is an epidemic of __________________ on board the ship.
(c) Rheumatic fever.
6. The farmers and their families on board the ship are from which country?
7. The group's late arrival in America means that they _______________________.
(a) cannot try to cross the mountains because of snow.
(b) will not have the right clothes for this season.
(c) will not be able to make a land claim.
(d) may not be able to get a crop planted for this season.
8. The people who Ulrika meets on the trip think she is a _________________.
9. Where does the ship dock in America?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) New York.
10. What is the name of the ship that arrives in Chapter 1?
(a) The Charlotta.
(b) The Raven.
(c) The Sentinel.
(d) The Vagabond.
11. What type of trees do the men take special note of in the forest?
(b) Sugar Maple.
12. What does Kristina note about Danjel's family?
(a) They do not have any food.
(b) Their shoes are very worn.
(c) They seem very sad.
(d) They appear ill.
13. Which insect does Anders tell the men can be a big problem for farmers?
14. Why does Robert not want to make a huge fortune?
(a) People would always want his money.
(b) He does want to make a huge fortune.
(c) It would be difficult to handle.
(d) He would be a target for thieves.
15. What is the name of the ship that will take the group almost all the way to their destination?
(a) The Driftwood.
(b) The Red Wing.
(c) The Vanguard.
(d) The Sea Mist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Karl when he goes ashore?
2. Where is the missing child in #36 found?
3. One of the first men to welcome the new settlers is Samuel ______________.
4. What city does the group arrive at in Chapter 7?
5. Which of Danjel's children dies on board the steamer ship?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)