|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Ulrika and Elin wear to ward off illness?
(a) Herb pouches.
(b) Mustard plaster.
2. Why is Robert hurriedly studying English?
(a) So he can pay for items and not be overcharged.
(b) So he can talk to girls.
(c) So he can order food in a restaurant.
(d) So he can speak for the group after their guide leaves.
3. Where does the ship dock in America?
(b) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) Los Angeles.
4. Karl is surprised to learn that Anders has only ____________ acres plowed in the time he has lived in America.
5. What do the travelers call the prairie?
(a) A mirage.
(b) A blessing.
(c) A sea of grass.
(d) A wasteland.
6. Who is the neighbor of the man in #65?
(a) Sigurd Thomassen.
(b) Axel Larsen.
(c) Jons Svenson.
(d) Lars Nyberg.
7. The members of the group fear that the final leg of the trip will be too strenuous for ________________.
8. What is the name of the ship that will take the group almost all the way to their destination?
(a) The Vanguard.
(b) The Sea Mist.
(c) The Driftwood.
(d) The Red Wing.
9. What type of trees do the men take special note of in the forest?
(a) Sugar Maple.
10. What city does the group arrive at in Chapter 7?
11. What does Karl go in search of when the boat docks one day to take on wood?
(b) Food and milk.
12. Anders tells the men that they may have to dig as deep as __________ feet if they want a well for their water supply.
13. Which insect does Anders tell the men can be a big problem for farmers?
14. Who is Ulrika's daughter?
15. Who is Kristina's uncle who is also on the trip?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the steamboat captain warn the passengers to not stay in the area where they disembark?
2. The people who Ulrika meets on the trip think she is a _________________.
3. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
4. Robert knows that he will have to learn the English language in order to _____________________.
5. Where do many of the passengers go ashore when the ship makes a stop?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)