|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert hopes to earn enough money to find a doctor to help with ________________________.
(a) a hearing problem.
(b) painful back.
(c) skin lesions.
(d) swollen joints.
2. Which one of Fina-Kajas' sons does the group encounter on their trip?
3. Karl is impressed that Anders has _________________.
(a) a pair of horses.
(b) a flock of geese.
(c) a team of oxen.
(d) a mule.
4. What disease do the authorities check for before allowing the passengers to disembark?
5. Who wife died during the sea voyage?
6. Who is Karl's younger brother who is also on the trip?
7. What does Robert plan to not buy?
(a) Seed corn.
(b) A tractor.
(c) A house.
(d) Too many possessions.
8. What is a requirement for the men as they select their homesteads?
(a) Short distance to town.
(b) Running water nearby.
(c) A church close by.
(d) Apple trees.
9. What does Fina-Kajas ask her son when she sees him?
(a) Why he never sent any money.
(b) Why he has grown a beard.
(c) Why he never wrote letters.
(d) Why his face is so red.
10. Who is the man who Karl Oskar knows who lives in the state in #7?
(a) Karl Evers.
(b) Sven Larsen.
(c) Anders Mansson.
(d) Lars Nyberg.
11. What kind of animal does Karl see which has fallen into the water?
12. Where does Anders take the men?
(a) To the courthouse.
(b) To the doctor's office.
(c) To church.
(d) To find the land they want to homestead.
13. Why is Robert hurriedly studying English?
(a) So he can pay for items and not be overcharged.
(b) So he can speak for the group after their guide leaves.
(c) So he can talk to girls.
(d) So he can order food in a restaurant.
14. Anders is infatuated with which woman?
15. Kristina is pregnant with a child who will be born before __________________.
(a) the end of Spring.
(d) the house is built.
Short Answer Questions
1. How must the group travel on the last leg of their journey?
2. The people who Ulrika meets on the trip think she is a _________________.
3. Why is Ulrika angry with Karl?
4. What does Karl go in search of when the boat docks one day to take on wood?
5. Which one of Karl and Kristina's children died while they were still in Sweden?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)