|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kristina is glad that her family in Sweden cannot see __________________.
(a) how Karl is mean to her.
(b) how little their house is.
(c) how poor they are.
(d) how homesick she is.
2. Kristina is pregnant with a child who will be born before __________________.
(c) the house is built.
(d) the end of Spring.
3. Why does the steamboat captain warn the passengers to not stay in the area where they disembark?
(a) There have been Indian attacks in the area.
(b) There has been cholera in the area.
(c) There is a blizzard coming.
(d) They need to hurry to claim their land.
4. What happens to a man who falls off the boat into the river?
(a) He swims to shore.
(b) He is rescued by the captain.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He is picked up by another boat.
5. What is a requirement for the men as they select their homesteads?
(a) Short distance to town.
(b) A church close by.
(c) Apple trees.
(d) Running water nearby.
6. What do Ulrika and Elin wear to ward off illness?
(c) Herb pouches.
(d) Mustard plaster.
7. Where is Karl Oskar headed with his family?
8. What does Fina-Kajas ask her son when she sees him?
(a) Why he has grown a beard.
(b) Why his face is so red.
(c) Why he never sent any money.
(d) Why he never wrote letters.
9. How many children does Danjel have?
10. What does Robert do faithfully each day while on the ship?
(a) Sketches in a journal.
(c) Writes letters.
(d) Studies English.
11. To whom does Karl write a letter telling of the group's arrival in America?
(a) His parish priest.
(b) His parents.
(c) His brother.
(d) Kristina's uncle.
12. Who is the oldest person in the group of farmers?
(a) Robert Bjork.
(b) Lars Nyberg.
(c) Arvid Bremer.
(d) Jonas Petters.
13. Ulrika is known as ______________________.
(a) the village baker.
(b) the village whore.
(c) the village seamstress.
(d) the village teacher.
14. Who is the guide the ship's captain locates to help Karl and the others get to their destination?
(a) Loffe Ekstrom.
(b) Jons Dahlgren.
(c) Long Landberg.
(d) Anderson Blum.
15. What does Kristina note about Danjel's family?
(a) They seem very sad.
(b) They appear ill.
(c) Their shoes are very worn.
(d) They do not have any food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cares for Danjel's children since Danjel's wife died?
2. What is the final destination of the group?
3. What sign is Karl unable to read on the train?
4. Why does Robert not want to make a huge fortune?
5. What does Robert plan to not buy?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)