|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baden believe was the motive for Tinning's murders?
2. On investigation, what did the Claus defense team find about Dr. Worthington?
3. Why was Baden called in to investigate at Attica?
4. What did the prisoners do to William Quinn?
5. Why was Jaroslawicz's body preserved so well?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Baden knew the hostages were killed by the guards.
2. Explain the three themes of Baden's affidavit in the case of Claus von Bulow.
3. Explain why, from the beginning, Baden believed the police had the wrong time of death for Gail Morris.
4. Explain the circumstances surrounding the finding of Daphne Mellon's vehicle, personal items, and body, and why those findings led to questions.
5. Explain how and why Jascalevich killed the patients of other doctors.
6. Explain how the defense for Hendricks tried to argue the digestive system argument, and Baden's counter argument.
7. Describe how Barry Schwartz and Kenneth Hess were killed by the other inmates.
8. Explain what Baden notices about Sunny's levels of alcohol and barbiturates, and why he calculates them as fatal levels at the time of her coma.
9. Explain what actually happened to Daphne Mellon.
10. Explain the situation that causes some teenagers and adults to accidentally commit suicide by hanging during sexual experimentation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, Baden discusses the history of the office of the medical examiner. In detail, discuss this history. How did the position begin in the reign of King Richard I? What was the position like by the eighteenth century? What event began to change the view of this position, according to Scotland Yard? What began to happen by the French Revolution? How was the position seen in the colonies? What was the view of the ME by the early nineteenth century? What is the current view? Be sure to list details from the book in your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Baden points out several times in the novel that the role of the ME is one of politics, science, and power. Do you agree that the ME has power? Why or why not? Do you think the ME can directly affect the outcome of a criminal trial? Why or why not? Does this mean the ME has to show a large level of credibility? What should happen if that credibility is questioned? Do you think the ME should issue death certificates that necessarily help the DA? Why or why not? Be sure to analyze these issues using examples and details from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the mistakes that led to the original conviction of Claus von Bulow. From what did the EMTs who delivered Sunny, his wife, believe she was suffering ? What caused the hospital staff to disagree? What mistake did they make as a result? Following their assumptions, what mistakes did the lab make in testing Sunny's samples? Why did this lead to false information? What assumptions were made about the insulin needle? What turned out to be the truth? What does this say about the importance of proper procedures in this position?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)