|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about killer Joseph Christopher?
2. What does Baden find when he examines the body of Gail Morris?
3. What was the cause of death for Robert, the Sutton Place Banker found tied to a bed?
4. What caused the riot?
5. What is the proof of cyanide poisoning Baden finds in the bodies that is crucial to the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how and why Jascalevich killed the patients of other doctors.
2. Why did Jerald Sklar confess to police his knowledge and his crimes, and what was the result?
3. Explain why the DA dropped the three additional murder charges against Kuklinski.
4. Describe the symptoms of a heroin overdose, and how it kills.
5. Explain the three themes of Baden's affidavit in the case of Claus von Bulow.
6. Explain the situation that causes some teenagers and adults to accidentally commit suicide by hanging during sexual experimentation.
7. Explain what Baden and his team found when they became part of the medical review board that monitors prison deaths, and how those issues were addressed.
8. Describe the circumstances in the case of the S&M nurse and doctor in Chapter Ten that led to the case being taken to a grand jury to process the nurse for homicide.
9. Explain what actually happened to Daphne Mellon.
10. Why did Kuklinski use cyanide, and how did Baden discover it on his victims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the case of Paul Fried in detail. What were the original circumstances surrounding Paul's death? What caused further investigation? What role did his wife, Catherine, play? What was their relationship like? Who came forward with information, and what was that information? How was a new cause of death discovered? What was the result? How did the autopsy findings affect this case? What does this say about the importance of a proper autopsy in any case of death?
Essay Topic 2
Baden closes the novel by noting that the system is failing, and has been failing for some time. Why does he say this? What does he attribute as the cause of this failure? What are some things he thinks can help fix the situation? Do you agree these things are important? Why or why not? After reading the novel, do you think forensic medicine, and the role of the ME, are important? Why? What power do they have? What are their responsibilities, and why are these important?
Essay Topic 3
In the Mary Beth Tinning case, nine children died before someone thought to question the parents of the children. MEs, hospital staff, neighbors, friends, social services, and others all had the same information, but refused to question the situation.
Part 1.) Explain the circumstances that allowed this tragedy to unfold.
Part 2.) Discuss the SIDS diagnosis, in terms of why it is seldom questioned.
Part 3.) Write a brief opinion statement, noting whether you believe the system is partially responsible for these deaths, and why.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)