|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mario Jascalevich claim to be doing with curare?
2. What leads investigators to ask for Baden's assistance with Dr. Brown's murder?
3. Why does Baden offer to do a minimum autopsy?
4. How many Tinning children were given a cause of death of SIDS?
5. Why were MEs suspicious of the number of SIDS deaths?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the situation that causes some teenagers and adults to accidentally commit suicide by hanging during sexual experimentation.
2. Explain the three themes of Baden's affidavit in the case of Claus von Bulow.
3. Explain why the DA dropped the three additional murder charges against Kuklinski.
4. Explain Ondine's syndrome.
5. How did Baden know Paul Fried had not committed suicide?
6. Describe how Barry Schwartz and Kenneth Hess were killed by the other inmates.
7. What are possible motives given for Joseph Christopher's killing spree?
8. Describe the symptoms of a heroin overdose, and how it kills.
9. Explain how Baden used the digestive system to determine time of death in the Hendricks case.
10. Explain how the defense for Hendricks tried to argue the digestive system argument, and Baden's counter argument.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Mary Beth Tinning case, nine children died before someone thought to question the parents of the children. MEs, hospital staff, neighbors, friends, social services, and others all had the same information, but refused to question the situation.
Part 1.) Explain the circumstances that allowed this tragedy to unfold.
Part 2.) Discuss the SIDS diagnosis, in terms of why it is seldom questioned.
Part 3.) Write a brief opinion statement, noting whether you believe the system is partially responsible for these deaths, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the forensics used in the case of the prison riot at Attica to prove the guards accidentally shot the hostages. What techniques did Baden use to look at the bodies? What did he find? Why did people dislike his findings? How could he prove the findings? What mistakes did others, such as the funeral director, make that hindered the investigation? Did this serve to increase the tension? Why? Do you think the end result at Attica was beneficial? Why? What group did the riots help create? What does that group do? How did that help the prisoners in the long run?
Essay Topic 3
In the case of Daphne Mellon, it became clear, through Baden's investigation, that Mellon had died of a drug overdose. The case was closed, without locating anyone who attended the party Baden believes she attended, and without speaking with anyone who directly had dealings with Mellon at the party. Do you believe Baden's judgment was biased, based on Mellon's known drug use and history of sexual promiscuity? Or do you believe the evidence found supports his idea of a drug and sex party gone wrong? Explain your answer, using the details from the case. Be sure to mention where she was found, events leading up to the death, her boyfriend's statements, and those of her friends, her actions prior to her death, the findings at the scene, and any other pertinent information.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)