|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistake does Baden blame prison authorities for making?
2. How did Baden know Fried's death was not suicide by overdose?
3. What did Travis and Peters not know about Dr. Brown?
4. Why was Sunny von Bulow hospitalized the second time?
5. What is Attica?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Carl Cappolino killed William E. Farber.
2. Explain the disparity between Dr. Lee's issued cause of death and Baden's issued cause of death for Dr. Brown.
3. Explain why doctors believed Sunny von Bulow was suffering from low blood sugar on her arrival the third time at the hospital, in spite of EMT belief that she was suffering an overdose.
4. Explain why the DA dropped the three additional murder charges against Kuklinski.
5. Explain how the defense for Hendricks tried to argue the digestive system argument, and Baden's counter argument.
6. Explain how Baden knew the hostages were killed by the guards.
7. Describe how Barry Schwartz and Kenneth Hess were killed by the other inmates.
8. Explain the situation that causes some teenagers and adults to accidentally commit suicide by hanging during sexual experimentation.
9. Describe the potassium eye fluid test.
10. Why did Jerald Sklar confess to police his knowledge and his crimes, and what was the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Baden points out several times in the novel that the role of the ME is one of politics, science, and power. Do you agree that the ME has power? Why or why not? Do you think the ME can directly affect the outcome of a criminal trial? Why or why not? Does this mean the ME has to show a large level of credibility? What should happen if that credibility is questioned? Do you think the ME should issue death certificates that necessarily help the DA? Why or why not? Be sure to analyze these issues using examples and details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the mistakes that led to the original conviction of Claus von Bulow. From what did the EMTs who delivered Sunny, his wife, believe she was suffering ? What caused the hospital staff to disagree? What mistake did they make as a result? Following their assumptions, what mistakes did the lab make in testing Sunny's samples? Why did this lead to false information? What assumptions were made about the insulin needle? What turned out to be the truth? What does this say about the importance of proper procedures in this position?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, Baden discusses the history of the office of the medical examiner. In detail, discuss this history. How did the position begin in the reign of King Richard I? What was the position like by the eighteenth century? What event began to change the view of this position, according to Scotland Yard? What began to happen by the French Revolution? How was the position seen in the colonies? What was the view of the ME by the early nineteenth century? What is the current view? Be sure to list details from the book in your discussion.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)