|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What date does Arthur Springer agree to meet with Reta in 2001?
2. How does Reta sign her letter about the obituary in the Globe and Mail?
3. What does Reta think of Helt's assessment of her first novel?
4. During lunch, why is Danielle disappointed with Reta's decision to write another novel?
5. Why is Reta alarmed by the sight of Norah's hands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of conflict in "Unless." Discuss Reta's conflict with society. Discuss Norah's conflict with society.
Essay Topic 2
How does Shields portray heroines in the novel? Respond to the following:
1. What characters can be regarded as tragic heroines?
2. Discuss Reta's ideas about heroines and heroism.
3. How are the heroines in the novel in opposition to society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of writing in the novel, responding to the following questions:
1. What is the function of Reta's writing in portraying her ideas about the world?
2. Do Reta's novels and letters serve the same purpose? Why or why not?
3. How does Danielle's writing compare with Reta's in terms of its significance?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)