|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story, who does Reta think the Czech professor must hate?
2. Arthur tells Reta the day after Christmas that he is filled with admiration for what?
3. In her letter to Ford-Halpern, how does Reta think other daughters can be protected from Norah's fate?
4. Why does Arthur state that he thinks of the final chapter as the "kiln?"
5. Arthur tells Reta the day after Christmas that he has read all the reviews for what book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of conflict in "Unless." Discuss Reta's conflict with society. Discuss Norah's conflict with society.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of minor characters in the novel.
1. Identify three minor characters and their relationship to the major characters.
2. Describe these three minor characters' physical and psychological attributes. Are they flat or round?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Shields' portrayal of the media in the novel, responding to the following questions:
1. What role does the media have in advancing the plot?
2. What is Reta's relationship to the media?
3. Is it an amicable or hostile relationship and why?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)