|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reta think of Helt's assessment of her first novel?
2. According to the friend who advised Reta as a young writer, what do obituaries contain?
3. Why does Reta have difficulty carrying on a conversation with Arthur when he comes o her home for the first time?
4. How does Reta sign her letter about the obituary in the Globe and Mail?
5. Why does Arthur tell Reta the day after Christmas that it is urgent that she come to New York?
Essay Topic 1
Another major theme in the novel is the issue of homelessness and its consequences for the people affected by it.
1. Identify some preconceptions about homelessness that are disproved by the characters' actions.
2. What is Shields' overall message about people who are homeless?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of goodness in the novel as an idea and a catalyst for change, responding to the following questions:
1. What does the concept of goodness mean to Reta?
2. What does the concept of goodness mean to Norah?
3. What is the overall message of goodness as an idea in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss grief as a major theme of the novel, especially the expression of suffering, responding to the following questions:
1. How does Reta cope with her grief?
2. How are Norah's actions a manifestation of grief?
3. What is the relationship between memory and grief?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)