Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What great themes of literature does Reta tell Helt she learned while in high school?
2. During lunch, why is Danielle disappointed with Reta's decision to write another novel?
3. In the short story that Reta writes her letter about, what does the Czech professor see in the medical supply shop that disgusts him?
4. Who insists that Norah is reacting to her state of powerlessness in society during Norah's visit with her?
5. In the story, who does Reta think the Czech professor must hate?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of family in the novel, responding to the following questions:
1. What responsibilities do family members share?
2. Does Shields portray the Winters family as being functional or dysfunctional?
3. How are the Winters family members treated?
4. Who is accepted as a family member and who is not?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, marriage is portrayed as a complicated and sometimes fraught union between two people. How does Shields characterize Reta and Tom's marriage? Does she portray them as happily married? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Shields uses the first-person point of view to show Reta's thoughts and actions, though the focus of the novel is the mystery of Norah's disappearance and subsequent homelessness. Respond to the following questions:
1. Why do you think Shields chose the first-person instead of third-person ("she")?
2. How would the novel be different if the story was told from Norah's point of view?
3. Since the first-person is a limited perspective, how would using an omniscient point of view change the tone or meaning of the novel?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)