Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What great themes of literature does Reta tell Helt she learned while in high school?
2. During lunch, why is Danielle disappointed with Reta's decision to write another novel?
3. In the short story that Reta writes her letter about, what does the Czech professor see in the medical supply shop that disgusts him?
4. Who insists that Norah is reacting to her state of powerlessness in society during Norah's visit with her?
5. In the story, who does Reta think the Czech professor must hate?
Discuss the role of writing in the novel, responding to the following questions:
1. What is the function of Reta's writing in portraying her ideas about the world?
2. Do Reta's novels and letters serve the same purpose? Why or why not?
3. How does Danielle's writing compare with Reta's in terms of its significance?
Shields uses the first-person point of view to show Reta's thoughts and actions, though the focus of the novel is the mystery of Norah's disappearance and subsequent homelessness. Respond to the following questions:
1. Why do you think Shields chose the first-person instead of third-person ("she")?
2. How would the novel be different if the story was told from Norah's point of view?
3. Since the first-person is a limited perspective, how would using an omniscient point of view change the tone or meaning of the novel?
Discuss Shields' portrayal of the media in the novel, responding to the following questions:
1. What role does the media have in advancing the plot?
2. What is Reta's relationship to the media?
3. Is it an amicable or hostile relationship and why?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)