Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What great themes of literature does Reta tell Helt she learned while in high school?
2. During lunch, why is Danielle disappointed with Reta's decision to write another novel?
3. In the short story that Reta writes her letter about, what does the Czech professor see in the medical supply shop that disgusts him?
4. Who insists that Norah is reacting to her state of powerlessness in society during Norah's visit with her?
5. In the story, who does Reta think the Czech professor must hate?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of setting in the novel, responding to the following questions:
1. What facts about the city of Toronto relate directly or indirectly to the lives of the characters?
2. What facts about the time in which the novel is set, 2000-2001, relate directly or indirectly to the novel's themes and overall meaning?
Essay Topic 2
How does Shields portray heroines in the novel? Respond to the following:
1. What characters can be regarded as tragic heroines?
2. Discuss Reta's ideas about heroines and heroism.
3. How are the heroines in the novel in opposition to society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of writing in the novel, responding to the following questions:
1. What is the function of Reta's writing in portraying her ideas about the world?
2. Do Reta's novels and letters serve the same purpose? Why or why not?
3. How does Danielle's writing compare with Reta's in terms of its significance?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)