Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What great themes of literature does Reta tell Helt she learned while in high school?
2. During lunch, why is Danielle disappointed with Reta's decision to write another novel?
3. In the short story that Reta writes her letter about, what does the Czech professor see in the medical supply shop that disgusts him?
4. Who insists that Norah is reacting to her state of powerlessness in society during Norah's visit with her?
5. In the story, who does Reta think the Czech professor must hate?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss grief as a major theme of the novel, especially the expression of suffering, responding to the following questions:
1. How does Reta cope with her grief?
2. How are Norah's actions a manifestation of grief?
3. What is the relationship between memory and grief?
Essay Topic 2
As a novel, "Unless" functions as a mystery. As such, there are clues provided to lead the reader in many directions. What are some true and false leads surrounding Norah's disappearance? How does Shields utilize flashbacks and dialogue to create suspension in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of conflict in "Unless." Discuss Reta's conflict with society. Discuss Norah's conflict with society.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)