Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What great themes of literature does Reta tell Helt she learned while in high school?
2. During lunch, why is Danielle disappointed with Reta's decision to write another novel?
3. In the short story that Reta writes her letter about, what does the Czech professor see in the medical supply shop that disgusts him?
4. Who insists that Norah is reacting to her state of powerlessness in society during Norah's visit with her?
5. In the story, who does Reta think the Czech professor must hate?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss grief as a major theme of the novel, especially the expression of suffering, responding to the following questions:
1. How does Reta cope with her grief?
2. How are Norah's actions a manifestation of grief?
3. What is the relationship between memory and grief?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Reta and Danielle's views on women, responding to the following questions:
1. What observations do Reta and Danielle make about society's perception of women?
2. How do Reta and Danielle feel about the roles women have in society?
Essay Topic 3
Another major theme in the novel is the issue of homelessness and its consequences for the people affected by it.
1. Identify some preconceptions about homelessness that are disproved by the characters' actions.
2. What is Shields' overall message about people who are homeless?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)