Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What great themes of literature does Reta tell Helt she learned while in high school?
2. During lunch, why is Danielle disappointed with Reta's decision to write another novel?
3. In the short story that Reta writes her letter about, what does the Czech professor see in the medical supply shop that disgusts him?
4. Who insists that Norah is reacting to her state of powerlessness in society during Norah's visit with her?
5. In the story, who does Reta think the Czech professor must hate?
Discuss the role of minor characters in the novel.
1. Identify three minor characters and their relationship to the major characters.
2. Describe these three minor characters' physical and psychological attributes. Are they flat or round?
Discuss the significance of goodness in the novel as an idea and a catalyst for change, responding to the following questions:
1. What does the concept of goodness mean to Reta?
2. What does the concept of goodness mean to Norah?
3. What is the overall message of goodness as an idea in the novel?
In the novel, marriage is portrayed as a complicated and sometimes fraught union between two people. How does Shields characterize Reta and Tom's marriage? Does she portray them as happily married? Why or why not?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)