|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Reta's letter to Ford-Halpern, what failure is "a moral dilemma in itself"?
2. What does Arthur accidentally knock over during his first visit at Reta's?
3. Why has Danielle deleted her early life and reinvented herself?
4. What does Norah use to try and put out the flames from the woman's fire?
5. What has been able to distract Reta from grieving for Norah?
Essay Topic 1
Shields uses the first-person point of view to show Reta's thoughts and actions, though the focus of the novel is the mystery of Norah's disappearance and subsequent homelessness. Respond to the following questions:
1. Why do you think Shields chose the first-person instead of third-person ("she")?
2. How would the novel be different if the story was told from Norah's point of view?
3. Since the first-person is a limited perspective, how would using an omniscient point of view change the tone or meaning of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Reta has several flashbacks about Norah in the weeks before her disappearance. Choose three memories and discuss what they reveal about Reta, Norah, and the nature of their relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of conflict in "Unless." Discuss Reta's conflict with society. Discuss Norah's conflict with society.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)