|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been able to distract Reta from grieving for Norah?
2. Who lost her own son to a heroin overdose?
3. In the short story that Reta writes her letter about, what does the Czech professor see in the medical supply shop that disgusts him?
4. In her letter to the short story writer, Reta hints that a single _________ moment was caught on videotape.
5. What anomaly does Lois tell Arthur she sees on the oak tree outside her window?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that faith plays in the novel. What are the differences between personal and religious faith? Discuss Reta's views on faith.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of language in "Unless"? Identify and discuss the following relationships and its significance for the characters:
1. Language and identity.
2. Language and truth.
3. Language and power.
Essay Topic 3
As a novel, "Unless" functions as a mystery. As such, there are clues provided to lead the reader in many directions. What are some true and false leads surrounding Norah's disappearance? How does Shields utilize flashbacks and dialogue to create suspension in the novel?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)