Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What great themes of literature does Reta tell Helt she learned while in high school?
2. During lunch, why is Danielle disappointed with Reta's decision to write another novel?
3. In the short story that Reta writes her letter about, what does the Czech professor see in the medical supply shop that disgusts him?
4. Who insists that Norah is reacting to her state of powerlessness in society during Norah's visit with her?
5. In the story, who does Reta think the Czech professor must hate?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of writing in the novel, responding to the following questions:
1. What is the function of Reta's writing in portraying her ideas about the world?
2. Do Reta's novels and letters serve the same purpose? Why or why not?
3. How does Danielle's writing compare with Reta's in terms of its significance?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, marriage is portrayed as a complicated and sometimes fraught union between two people. How does Shields characterize Reta and Tom's marriage? Does she portray them as happily married? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of minor characters in the novel.
1. Identify three minor characters and their relationship to the major characters.
2. Describe these three minor characters' physical and psychological attributes. Are they flat or round?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)