Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What great themes of literature does Reta tell Helt she learned while in high school?
2. During lunch, why is Danielle disappointed with Reta's decision to write another novel?
3. In the short story that Reta writes her letter about, what does the Czech professor see in the medical supply shop that disgusts him?
4. Who insists that Norah is reacting to her state of powerlessness in society during Norah's visit with her?
5. In the story, who does Reta think the Czech professor must hate?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of family in the novel, responding to the following questions:
1. What responsibilities do family members share?
2. Does Shields portray the Winters family as being functional or dysfunctional?
3. How are the Winters family members treated?
4. Who is accepted as a family member and who is not?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Reta has several flashbacks about Norah in the weeks before her disappearance. Choose three memories and discuss what they reveal about Reta, Norah, and the nature of their relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Shields' portrayal of the media in the novel, responding to the following questions:
1. What role does the media have in advancing the plot?
2. What is Reta's relationship to the media?
3. Is it an amicable or hostile relationship and why?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)