|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Reta alarmed by the sight of Norah's hands?
(a) They are broken.
(b) They are cut.
(c) They are bruised.
(d) They are scarred.
2. What does Reta notice on Norah's wrists?
(a) Scratches and bruises.
(b) Scabs and red sores.
(c) Scabs and tattoos.
(d) Bandaids and gauze.
3. What month does Reta finally meet Arthur Springer for the first time at her home?
4. According to Tom, what is the cause of the condition of Norah's hands?
(a) Second-degree burns.
(b) A fall.
(d) A fight.
5. Who is elected Prime Minister again?
(a) Jean Chretrien.
(b) Kim Campbell.
(c) John Turner.
(d) Pierre Trudeau.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who works as a trombonist?
2. In the short story that Reta writes her letter about, what does the Czech professor see in the medical supply shop that disgusts him?
3. What does Lois tell Arthur she attended many years ago?
4. According to Reta, what can "help us turn down the volume of our own interior discourse"?
5. What is the exception Reta is going to make regarding the letter to the short story writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Reta and Arthur have their heated discussion, what three things happen that interrupt them that provide comic relief to the serious conversation?
2. In her letter about the death of Peter Harding, how does Reta compare herself to Norah?
3. According to Reta, why is goodness not a guaranteed virtue?
4. Why is Lois's conversation with Arthur when she comes over to investigate about dinner significant?
5. Why does an older friend of Reta's advise her to read obituaries as a young writer?
6. How does Arthur feel about Roman, the other main character in Reta's novel?
7. According to Gemma Walsh, Reta's friend who has been appointed Chair of Theology, the Christian faith is balance on the words "already" and "not yet." Why does Reta find this significant?
8. According to Reta, what is the "worry word" of life and why is it significant?
9. Why don't the Winters' want to discuss the fact that Norah probably gave her Christmas package away?
10. What does Reta notice on Norah's wrists that cause Tom to forget his trilobites and research stress and trauma?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)