|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom tell Reta on the phone that Norah has which has caused her to be hospitalized?
2. What does Reta call the "worry word" of life?
3. Why does Arthur tell Reta the day after Christmas that it is urgent that she come to New York?
(a) Because he wants to meet before he leaves the country.
(b) Because he wants her to sign a six figure book deal.
(c) Because he wants to have a conference before she finishes the first draft.
(d) Because he wants her to give a reading at a major bookstore.
4. What does Reta remember about Tom's childhood as they walk in the cemetery?
(a) She remembers that his family lost their fortune.
(b) She remembers that his father was in the army.
(c) She remembers that his mother was a terrible housekeeper.
(d) She remembers that Tom ran away from home.
5. For what dish did Lois win a prize at the Orangetown Fair?
(a) English fish and chips.
(b) German honey cake.
(c) Irish stew.
(d) Greek baklava.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Arthur state that he thinks of the final chapter as the "kiln?"
2. According to Lois, what year did her husband die?
3. What does Natalie remind her family about how long Norah has been wearing her garden gloves?
4. Whose wedding is Reta worried about?
5. What does Reta notice on Norah's wrists?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reta notice on Norah's wrists that cause Tom to forget his trilobites and research stress and trauma?
2. How does Arthur feel about Roman, the other main character in Reta's novel?
3. Why does Reta sign her letter to Dennis Ford-Halpern, "Yours, Rita Orange d'Ville"?
4. In her letter to Russell Sandor, Reta states that she fears nothing. Why does she feel this way and how does she prove it in her letter?
5. At the end of the novel, what do we learn about the reason for Norah's disappearance and subsequent homelessness?
6. According to Reta, what is the "worry word" of life and why is it significant?
7. Why does Reta feel that Arthur's suggestion to focus on Roman instead of Alicia is an egregious one?
8. Why don't the Winters' want to discuss the fact that Norah probably gave her Christmas package away?
9. How does Emma, Reta's journalist friend, try to comfort her and how is it significant?
10. Describe Reta and Lois's relationship.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)