|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem does Reta initially attribute Norah's disappearance to when she first goes missing?
(a) Norah's relationship with her boyfriend.
(b) Norah's relationship with her sisters.
(c) Norah's relationship with Reta.
(d) Norah's relationship with her father.
2. What does Reta reveal about the first time she met Tom?
(a) He was seeing another woman when they met.
(b) They were intimate the first time they met.
(c) They disliked each other the first time they met.
(d) She was seeing another man when they met.
3. What exercise does Reta find repellent?
(a) Counting her blessings.
(b) Writing her book.
(c) Vacuuming her house.
(d) Researching her novel.
4. According to Reta, what is NOT a romance with impossibly beautiful people?
(a) Her marriage.
(b) Her job.
(c) Her life.
(d) Her novel.
5. What is the name of the previous owners of Reta and Tom's Ontario farmhouse?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is undrinkable according to Colin?
2. What do the Winters do when they discover where Norah sleeps at night?
3. What subjects are Christine and Natalie studying for their exams?
4. What are the two main characters' names in the sequel to Reta's first novel?
5. What draft does Arthur ask Reta to send him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Danielle believe that Norah has embraced her powerlessness in society by living as a homeless person?
2. Why is Reta reluctant to give Arthur Springer a first draft of her novel, and what does it reveal about her writing?
3. Describe life in the Winters' household.
4. Why does Reta feel that normalcy is "monstrous?"
5. How does Reta respond to the death of Mr. Scribano and how is it significant?
6. What does Reta's husband Tom do for a living and how is it significant concerning Norah's absence?
7. Describe Reta Winter's thoughts and feelings as the novel opens.
8. Why does Arthur love Alicia as a character and why is it significant?
9. Describe Reta's peculiar behavior when she visits Norah in early November.
10. When does Reta's mind begin to wander and what does she think of during dinner with Tom's physicist friend, Colin Glass?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)