|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reta reveal about the first time she met Tom?
(a) They disliked each other the first time they met.
(b) She was seeing another man when they met.
(c) They were intimate the first time they met.
(d) He was seeing another woman when they met.
2. Who is Reta's mentor?
(a) Tom Winters
(b) Madame Sylvia.
(c) Danielle Westerman.
(d) Colin Glass.
3. According to Reta, what is NOT a romance with impossibly beautiful people?
(a) Her job.
(b) Her life.
(c) Her novel.
(d) Her marriage.
4. What does Norah ask Reta about their family when she is nine years-old?
(a) Norah asks Reta whether or not her parents are married.
(b) Norah asks Reta whether or not they are from Canada.
(c) Norah asks Reta whether or not her parents are Catholic.
(d) Norah asks Reta whether or not she is adopted.
5. What is the name of the previous owners of Reta and Tom's Ontario farmhouse?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is playing the piano when Reta and Tom have finished their work after their package is delivered?
2. Where is the apartment Norah shares with her boyfriend located in the building in Toronto?
3. What are the two main characters' names in the sequel to Reta's first novel?
4. What does Reta want to demonstrate when she and Tom visit Ben after Norah's sudden disappearance?
5. According to Reta, young adults live in an age of prolonged _________and protracted__________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Reta's feelings about Tom and their sexual relationship?
2. Why does Reta feel that normalcy is "monstrous?"
3. Describe Reta Winter's thoughts and feelings as the novel opens.
4. Why does Arthur love Alicia as a character and why is it significant?
5. What is Reta's complaint in her letter to the editor of a literary magazine regarding one of its advertising pages?
6. How are Reta's feelings about sex related to her writing about Alicia and Roman?
7. How do Natalie and Christine attempt to give the impression that Norah's absence is part of a normal routine?
8. How does the American election results in Florida that Tom, Christine, and Natalie watch relate to Norah's absence?
9. Why does Danielle believe that Norah has embraced her powerlessness in society by living as a homeless person?
10. Describe life in the Winters' household.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)