|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does Christine, Reta's daughter, turn in October?
2. What is the name of Reta's new novel?
(a) Thyme in Bloom.
(b) Thyme in Mind.
(c) Thyme is Timeless.
(d) Thyme to Forgive.
3. What does Reta question about her feelings for Tom?
(a) Whether she respects him.
(b) Whether she loves him.
(c) Whether she dislikes him.
(d) Whether she trusts him.
4. What praise does Reta give Alexander Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
(a) Reta praises his research method.
(b) Reta praises his intellectual rigor.
(c) Reta praises his personal narrative style.
(d) Reta praises his broad approach.
5. Who is playing the piano when Reta and Tom have finished their work after their package is delivered?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Norah enroll at the University of Toronto?
2. What does Reta immerse herself in despite her continuing grief?
3. How does Reta explain Norah's strange behavior to Christine and Natalie?
4. Why does Reta decide not to attend the funeral for the person at Scribano & Lawrence?
5. Why does Reta also chide Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Reta's feelings about Tom and their sexual relationship?
2. Describe life in the Winters' household.
3. Describe the response of the Winters' family to seeing the hostel where Norah stays and its significance.
4. Describe Reta's peculiar behavior when she visits Norah in early November.
5. What are some concerns Reta has in creating her fictional character Alicia, and how are they significant?
6. Why does Reta wake up with anxiety about cleaning her house?
7. According to Ben, how has Norah changed in the few weeks prior to her disappearance?
8. Why do Reta and her writer friends at the Orange Blossom Room conclude that the concepts of goodness and greatness are incompatible for women?
9. Why does Reta initially think Norah's problems may have stemmed from her relationship with Ben Abbot?
10. Why does Arthur love Alicia as a character and why is it significant?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)