|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Arthur ask Reta to send him a draft?
(a) So that he can help her in the writing of it.
(b) So that he can correct her grammar.
(c) So that he can make sure she is doing a good job.
(d) So that he can share it with his colleagues.
2. Why does Reta cry as she writes the check for the hostel each month?
(a) Reta cries out of grief.
(b) Reta cries out of pity.
(c) Reta cries out of heartfelt appreciation.
(d) Reta cries out of heartbreak.
3. According to Reta's writer friends at the Orange Blossom Room, why are women excluded from real life?
(a) Because men view women as lacking moral authority and capability.
(b) Because men view women as superior to everyday concerns.
(c) Because men view women as more capable and superior.
(d) Because men view women as incapable of rational thought.
4. Who does Reta meet for lunch after a radio interview in Baltimore?
(a) Her old friend, Gwen.
(b) Her mentor, Danielle.
(c) Her daughter, Christine.
(d) Her editor, Arthur.
5. What two languages are spoken during Reta's childhood?
(a) English and Spanish.
(b) English and German.
(c) English and French.
(d) French and Spanish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What present does Reta get for Norah's seventeenth birthday while on a book tour in D.C.?
2. How are Reta and Danielle different?
3. What does Reta want to demonstrate when she and Tom visit Ben after Norah's sudden disappearance?
4. According to Reta, young adults live in an age of prolonged _________and protracted__________.
5. What draft does Arthur ask Reta to send him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some concerns Reta has in creating her fictional character Alicia, and how are they significant?
2. How does the American election results in Florida that Tom, Christine, and Natalie watch relate to Norah's absence?
3. When does Reta's mind begin to wander and what does she think of during dinner with Tom's physicist friend, Colin Glass?
4. Why does Danielle believe that Norah has embraced her powerlessness in society by living as a homeless person?
5. Describe Reta's peculiar behavior when she visits Norah in early November.
6. How are Reta's feelings about sex related to her writing about Alicia and Roman?
7. Why does Reta view her trip to the library as a way of reconnecting with Norah?
8. Why is Reta reluctant to give Arthur Springer a first draft of her novel, and what does it reveal about her writing?
9. Why does Reta wake up with anxiety about cleaning her house?
10. How do Natalie and Christine attempt to give the impression that Norah's absence is part of a normal routine?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)