|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reta do in lieu of attending the funeral for the person at Scribano & Lawrence?
(a) Reta grieves at home with her family.
(b) Reta sends flowers and a note.
(c) Reta does nothing.
(d) Reta brings a plant to the office.
2. What are the two main characters' names in the sequel to Reta's first novel?
(a) Alice and Robert.
(b) Amy and Richard.
(c) Alicia and Roman.
(d) Andrea and Ramon.
3. Who is playing the piano when Reta and Tom have finished their work after their package is delivered?
4. According to Ben, Norah had become uncharacteristically __________ and __________ in the few weeks prior to her disappearance.
(a) Depressed; lethargic.
(b) Calm; peaceful.
(c) Irritable; short-tempered.
(d) Manic; jumpy.
5. What is the name of the previous owners of Reta and Tom's Ontario farmhouse?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reta become angry at the male author being interviewed on the literary television show?
2. What constant preoccupation does Reta think is not a normal activity for anyone BUT writers?
3. During dinner, after Reta and Tom have finished their work, where do Reta's thoughts turn to besides Norah?
4. What subjects are Christine and Natalie studying for their exams?
5. What does Reta discuss with the person she visits after her encounter with Norah in early November?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the meetings with her friends at the Orange Blossom Room ground Reta in reality?
2. Why does Reta wake up with anxiety about cleaning her house?
3. Describe the response of the Winters' family to seeing the hostel where Norah stays and its significance.
4. According to Ben, how has Norah changed in the few weeks prior to her disappearance?
5. How does Emma, Reta's journalist friend, try to comfort her and how is it significant?
6. How are Reta's feelings about sex related to her writing about Alicia and Roman?
7. What does Reta and Tom's walk in Orangetown cemetery represent?
8. In her letter about the death of Peter Harding, how does Reta compare herself to Norah?
9. In her letter to Russell Sandor, Reta states that she fears nothing. Why does she feel this way and how does she prove it in her letter?
10. What is Lois's true opinion of what happened to Norah that she is afraid to express?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)