|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the university Norah is accepted to in 1998?
(a) McGill University.
(b) St. Mary's University.
(c) University of Victoria.
(d) King's College.
2. What is Reta's struggle about what a writer of fiction should give the reader?
(a) How many metaphors and similes should be used.
(b) How many points of view should be given.
(c) How much her characters should be like her readers.
(d) How much background information should be given.
3. Who does Reta mention by name in her letter of complaint about "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World"?
4. What is the subject of the new book Tom is reading?
5. Who is Reta's mentor?
(a) Danielle Westerman.
(b) Colin Glass.
(c) Madame Sylvia.
(d) Tom Winters
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the previous owners of Reta and Tom's Ontario farmhouse?
2. What is the name of the hostel Reta writes a check to each month?
3. According to Reta's writer friends at the Orange Blossom Room, why are women excluded from real life?
4. Why does Reta cry as she writes the check for the hostel each month?
5. How does Reta approach Norah when she visits her in early November?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the memory of shopping for the perfect scarf for Norah haunt Reta as a "big female secret" and what does the scarf represent?
2. Why does Reta realize that she cannot create a perfect woman as a hero in her novel?
3. Why does Reta view her trip to the library as a way of reconnecting with Norah?
4. Describe the response of the Winters' family to seeing the hostel where Norah stays and its significance.
5. Describe Norah's thoughts about the two main characters in her novel, and why they are significant.
6. What are some concerns Reta has in creating her fictional character Alicia, and how are they significant?
7. How are Reta's feelings about sex related to her writing about Alicia and Roman?
8. What are Reta's feelings about Tom and their sexual relationship?
9. What is Reta's complaint in her letter to the editor of a literary magazine regarding one of its advertising pages?
10. Why does Reta wake up with anxiety about cleaning her house?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)