|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tom, what is the cause of the condition of Norah's hands?
(a) Second-degree burns.
(b) A fight.
(d) A fall.
2. Why does Reta have difficulty carrying on a conversation with Arthur when he comes o her home for the first time?
(a) Because he never stops speaking.
(b) Because he asks too many questions.
(c) Because she is preoccupied.
(d) Because she doesn't understand him.
3. The nature of _______dominates the conversation between Reta and Danielle at lunch.
4. According to Lois, what year did her husband die?
5. What does Norah use to try and put out the flames from the woman's fire?
(a) A plastic dish rack.
(b) A cotton blanket.
(c) A linen shirt.
(d) A wool rug.
6. In the story, who does Reta think the Czech professor must hate?
(c) The reader.
(d) The writer.
7. What is the short story writer's name who Reta writes a letter to?
(a) Robert Spiller.
(b) Russell Sandor.
(c) Renee Simon.
(d) Richard Smiley.
8. According to Reta, what is the most egregious change Arthur suggests she make in her novel?
(a) That she introduce another character to marry Roman.
(b) That she introduce another character to marry Alicia.
(c) That she make Alicia the focus instead of Roman.
(d) That she make Roman the focus instead of Alicia.
9. Who tells Reta and Tom that "Vagrancy can be thoughtful or careless; she has chosen the latter"?
(a) Danielle Westerman.
(b) A psychiatrist.
(c) Norah's professor.
(d) Ben Abbot.
10. What is Helt's central thesis in her review of a female author?
(a) That male writers are better at writing about feelings.
(b) That male writers are not as skilled as women writers.
(c) That women writers are not as skilled as male writers.
(d) That women writers are only concerned with feelings.
11. Why has Danielle deleted her early life and reinvented herself?
(a) Because she feels the past must be forgotten in order to move forward.
(b) Because she thinks it is important for feminists to assume new identities.
(c) Because her early life is too painful and she wants to forget everything.
(d) Because she suffered from an accident and has trouble remembering.
12. Who lost her own son to a heroin overdose?
13. Whose wedding is Reta worried about?
(a) Reta and Tom's.
(b) Marietta and Colin's.
(c) Norah and Ben's.
(d) Alicia and Roman's.
14. What does Arthur consider the last chapter in Reta's novel to be?
(a) The worst.
(b) The most important.
(c) The best.
(d) The least important.
15. What does Natalie remind her family about how long Norah has been wearing her garden gloves?
(a) That Norah has been wearing them since the previous spring.
(b) That Norah has been wearing them since the previous fall.
(c) That Norah has been wearing them since the previous winter.
(d) That Norah has been wearing them since the previous summer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reta call the "worry word" of life?
2. Who is elected Prime Minister again?
3. What great themes of literature does Reta tell Helt she learned while in high school?
4. Why does Arthur state that he thinks of the final chapter as the "kiln?"
5. According to the Chair in Theology, what faith is balanced on words "already" and "not yet?"
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)