|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the woman who sets herself on fire outside of Honest Ed's wearing?
(a) A dress.
(b) A veil and gown.
(c) Jeans and t-shirt.
(d) A habit.
2. What does Francis Quinn tell Reta and Tom about the gloves Norah has been wearing?
(a) That Norah wears them in the bath.
(b) That Norah wears them to pray.
(c) That Norah wears them to bed.
(d) That Norah wears them at dinner.
3. Why does Arthur Springer call Reta the day after Christmas?
(a) To tell her that her partial first draft is wonderful.
(b) To tell her that he has not read her partial first draft.
(c) To tell her that he has corrected her partial first draft.
(d) To tell her that her partial first draft needs work.
4. Whose wedding is Reta worried about?
(a) Norah and Ben's.
(b) Marietta and Colin's.
(c) Reta and Tom's.
(d) Alicia and Roman's.
5. What is the name of the hospital that Norah is in?
(a) Toronto General Hospital.
(b) Ontario General Hospital.
(c) Ontario Psychiatric Hospital.
(d) Toronto Psychiatric Hospital.
6. In her letter to the short story writer, Reta hints that a single _________ moment was caught on videotape.
7. In Reta's letter to Ford-Halpern, what failure is "a moral dilemma in itself"?
(a) Ford-Halpern's failure to improve Reta's novel.
(b) Ford-Halpern's failure to treat Norah.
(c) Ford-Halpern's failure to mention any female contributors.
(d) Ford-Halpern's failure to ask tough questions.
8. What question about Norah does Lois Winters ask every night at dinner?
(a) When is Norah coming home?
(b) How is Norah?
(c) Where's Norah?
(d) Why is Norah gone?
9. In January, what has Reta left in limbo since her last conversation with Arthur Springer?
(a) Writing her novel.
(b) Talking to Danielle.
(c) Visiting Norah.
(d) Translating Danielle's book.
10. Arthur tells Reta the day after Christmas that he has read all the reviews for what book?
(a) My Thyme is Up.
(b) The Goodness Gap.
(c) Thyme in Bloom.
(d) Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World.
11. What title does Arthur suggest for Reta's novel?
(b) Bear Fruit.
12. Arthur tells Reta the day after Christmas that he is filled with admiration for what?
(a) Norah's resolve.
(b) Alicia's goodness.
(c) Roman's faith.
(d) Reta's talent.
13. Why is Reta alarmed by the sight of Norah's hands?
(a) They are cut.
(b) They are broken.
(c) They are bruised.
(d) They are scarred.
14. What date does Arthur Springer agree to meet with Reta in 2001?
(a) January 2nd.
(b) January 30th.
(c) January 4th.
(d) January 19th.
15. What does Reta think of Helt's assessment of her first novel?
(a) Reta disagrees with Helt but is glad to be regarded as a serious writer.
(b) Reta disagrees with Helt and does not want to be disregarded as a serious writer.
(c) Reta agrees with Helt and is glad to be regarded as a serious writer.
(d) Reta agrees with Helt but does not want to be disregarded as a serious writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Reta sign her letter to Ford-Halpern?
2. In her review of a female author, Helt states that all relationships are seen through the lens of what?
3. What items are NOT in the package Christine and Natalie bring Norah after Christmas break?
4. What is Helt's central thesis in her review of a female author?
5. What is the name of the place Reta meets her friends on Tuesdays?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)