|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What great themes of literature does Reta tell Helt she learned while in high school?
(a) Birth, death, good, evil, and sympathy.
(b) Birth, death, work, suffering, and understanding.
(c) Birth, love, work, goodness, and sympathy.
(d) Birth, death, love, connections, work, and understanding.
2. During lunch, why is Danielle disappointed with Reta's decision to write another novel?
(a) Because she wants Reta to focus on rescuing Norah.
(b) Because she wants Reta to translate another one of her books.
(c) Because she thinks Reta's first novel wasn't very good.
(d) Because she considers writing fiction a trivial pursuit.
3. In the short story that Reta writes her letter about, what does the Czech professor see in the medical supply shop that disgusts him?
(a) An oxygen tank.
(b) A mastectomy bra.
(c) A colostomy bag.
(d) An artifical limb.
4. Who insists that Norah is reacting to her state of powerlessness in society during Norah's visit with her?
5. In the story, who does Reta think the Czech professor must hate?
(a) The reader.
(b) The writer.
6. What does Natalie remind her family about how long Norah has been wearing her garden gloves?
(a) That Norah has been wearing them since the previous spring.
(b) That Norah has been wearing them since the previous winter.
(c) That Norah has been wearing them since the previous summer.
(d) That Norah has been wearing them since the previous fall.
7. What does Reta think of Helt's assessment of her first novel?
(a) Reta disagrees with Helt but is glad to be regarded as a serious writer.
(b) Reta agrees with Helt and is glad to be regarded as a serious writer.
(c) Reta agrees with Helt but does not want to be disregarded as a serious writer.
(d) Reta disagrees with Helt and does not want to be disregarded as a serious writer.
8. What do the Winters believe Norah will do with the package Christine and Natalie give her?
(a) Give everything away to other homeless people.
(b) Throw everything away instead of using it.
(c) Save the package but refuse to open it.
(d) Give some of the items to other homeless people.
9. What does Lois tell Arthur she attended many years ago?
(a) A play.
(b) A baseball game.
(c) An opera.
(d) A concert.
10. Who is elected Prime Minister again?
(a) Kim Campbell.
(b) Jean Chretrien.
(c) Pierre Trudeau.
(d) John Turner.
11. What does Reta notice on Norah's wrists?
(a) Bandaids and gauze.
(b) Scabs and tattoos.
(c) Scratches and bruises.
(d) Scabs and red sores.
12. In Reta's letter to Ford-Halpern, what is "an endless series of obstacles, an alignment of locked doors"?
(a) Emma's loss.
(b) Danielle's obstacles.
(c) Norah's world.
(d) Reta's mind.
13. When Reta leaves Arthur in the house by himself to go to the hospital, what does he do?
(a) Watches television and drinks wine.
(b) Reads a book and has coffee.
(c) Cleans the kitchen.
(d) Sleeps on the couch.
14. Arthur tells Reta the day after Christmas that he is filled with admiration for what?
(a) Roman's faith.
(b) Alicia's goodness.
(c) Reta's talent.
(d) Norah's resolve.
15. What anomaly does Lois tell Arthur she sees on the oak tree outside her window?
(a) A nest.
(b) A dead branch.
(c) A lone leaf.
(d) A ribbon.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Reta discovers Norah's wrists, what does Tom leave for Norah when he sees her in Toronto?
2. Whose obituary does Reta read in the Globe and Mail?
3. What items are NOT in the package Christine and Natalie bring Norah after Christmas break?
4. What is the exception Reta is going to make regarding the letter to the short story writer?
5. Who lost her own son to a heroin overdose?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)