|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Chair in Theology, what faith is balanced on words "already" and "not yet?"
(a) The Christian faith.
(b) The Jewish faith.
(c) The Protestant faith.
(d) The Lutheran faith.
2. What date does Arthur Springer agree to meet with Reta in 2001?
(a) January 4th.
(b) January 2nd.
(c) January 19th.
(d) January 30th.
3. Who tells Reta and Tom that "Vagrancy can be thoughtful or careless; she has chosen the latter"?
(a) Norah's professor.
(b) Danielle Westerman.
(c) A psychiatrist.
(d) Ben Abbot.
4. What question about Norah does Lois Winters ask every night at dinner?
(a) Where's Norah?
(b) Why is Norah gone?
(c) How is Norah?
(d) When is Norah coming home?
5. What is the woman who sets herself on fire outside of Honest Ed's wearing?
(a) Jeans and t-shirt.
(b) A dress.
(c) A habit.
(d) A veil and gown.
6. What items are NOT in the package Christine and Natalie bring Norah after Christmas break?
(a) A thermos and gloves.
(b) A tracksuit and soap.
(c) A brush and comb.
(d) Fruit and chocolate.
7. What is the name of the third novel in Reta's trilogy?
(a) Spring Thyme.
(b) Summer Thyme.
(c) Winter Thyme.
(d) Autumn Thyme.
8. In the short story that Reta writes her letter about, what does the Czech professor see in the medical supply shop that disgusts him?
(a) An artifical limb.
(b) A mastectomy bra.
(c) A colostomy bag.
(d) An oxygen tank.
9. Whose wedding is Reta worried about?
(a) Marietta and Colin's.
(b) Reta and Tom's.
(c) Alicia and Roman's.
(d) Norah and Ben's.
10. According to Reta, what is "full of isolated events"?
11. What does Tom tell Reta on the phone that Norah has which has caused her to be hospitalized?
12. What do the Winters believe Norah will do with the package Christine and Natalie give her?
(a) Throw everything away instead of using it.
(b) Give everything away to other homeless people.
(c) Give some of the items to other homeless people.
(d) Save the package but refuse to open it.
13. Who lost her own son to a heroin overdose?
14. In Reta's letter to Ford-Halpern, what is "an endless series of obstacles, an alignment of locked doors"?
(a) Reta's mind.
(b) Norah's world.
(c) Danielle's obstacles.
(d) Emma's loss.
15. Why does Reta think that novel writing is perhaps a pointless exercise?
(a) Because she is afraid that she lacks talent to continue.
(b) Because there is so much moral injustice in the world.
(c) Because it has not helped her heal from Norah's absence.
(d) Because there are fewer readers interested in them.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Reta, what is the most egregious change Arthur suggests she make in her novel?
2. According to Lois, what year did her husband die?
3. What does Tom think Norah might be suffering from?
4. What does Reta think of Helt's assessment of her first novel?
5. What does Reta call the "worry word" of life?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)