|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reta think of Helt's assessment of her first novel?
(a) Reta agrees with Helt and is glad to be regarded as a serious writer.
(b) Reta disagrees with Helt but is glad to be regarded as a serious writer.
(c) Reta agrees with Helt but does not want to be disregarded as a serious writer.
(d) Reta disagrees with Helt and does not want to be disregarded as a serious writer.
2. What does Arthur accidentally knock over during his first visit at Reta's?
(a) A glass vase.
(b) A book.
(c) A serving platter.
(d) A wine bottle.
3. In Reta's letter to Ford-Halpern, what is "an endless series of obstacles, an alignment of locked doors"?
(a) Reta's mind.
(b) Norah's world.
(c) Emma's loss.
(d) Danielle's obstacles.
4. What does Natalie remind her family about how long Norah has been wearing her garden gloves?
(a) That Norah has been wearing them since the previous spring.
(b) That Norah has been wearing them since the previous winter.
(c) That Norah has been wearing them since the previous fall.
(d) That Norah has been wearing them since the previous summer.
5. What question about Norah does Lois Winters ask every night at dinner?
(a) Where's Norah?
(b) When is Norah coming home?
(c) Why is Norah gone?
(d) How is Norah?
6. In her letter about the obituary in the Globe and Mail, what does Reta state she has missed out on?
(a) Something definable.
(c) Some indefinable something.
7. What does Reta remember about Tom's childhood as they walk in the cemetery?
(a) She remembers that his mother was a terrible housekeeper.
(b) She remembers that his father was in the army.
(c) She remembers that his family lost their fortune.
(d) She remembers that Tom ran away from home.
8. What does Norah use to try and put out the flames from the woman's fire?
(a) A plastic dish rack.
(b) A linen shirt.
(c) A cotton blanket.
(d) A wool rug.
9. For what dish did Lois win a prize at the Orangetown Fair?
(a) Irish stew.
(b) German honey cake.
(c) Greek baklava.
(d) English fish and chips.
10. When Reta leaves Arthur in the house by himself to go to the hospital, what does he do?
(a) Watches television and drinks wine.
(b) Reads a book and has coffee.
(c) Cleans the kitchen.
(d) Sleeps on the couch.
11. According to Reta, what can "help us turn down the volume of our own interior discourse"?
12. What does Reta mention in her letter about the obituary that she wants from the universe?
13. What assessment does Helt have of Reta's first novel?
(a) That it was entertaining but poorly written.
(b) That it was laborious and difficult to understand.
(c) That it was well-written and complex.
(d) That it was quickly written and a light read.
14. Why does Reta think that novel writing is perhaps a pointless exercise?
(a) Because there are fewer readers interested in them.
(b) Because she is afraid that she lacks talent to continue.
(c) Because it has not helped her heal from Norah's absence.
(d) Because there is so much moral injustice in the world.
15. What anomaly does Lois tell Arthur she sees on the oak tree outside her window?
(a) A nest.
(b) A lone leaf.
(c) A dead branch.
(d) A ribbon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dennis Ford-Halpern?
2. What is Helt's central thesis in her review of a female author?
3. Arthur tells Reta the day after Christmas that he is filled with admiration for what?
4. According to Lois, who makes fun of the list in her recipe box?
5. What has been able to distract Reta from grieving for Norah?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)