|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Francis Quinn tell Reta and Tom about the gloves Norah has been wearing?
(a) That Norah wears them to pray.
(b) That Norah wears them in the bath.
(c) That Norah wears them to bed.
(d) That Norah wears them at dinner.
2. What is the name of the place Reta meets her friends on Tuesdays?
(a) Yellow Blossom Room.
(b) Orange Blossom Room.
(c) Green Blossom Room.
(d) Red Blossom Room.
3. What does Reta call the "worry word" of life?
4. What does Reta think most people would assume about the inscription on Mary Leland's headstone?
(a) That Mary's life was hard.
(b) That the stone mason made a mistake.
(c) That Mary would be proud.
(d) That the inscription is apt.
5. What is the name of the third novel in Reta's trilogy?
(a) Autumn Thyme.
(b) Summer Thyme.
(c) Spring Thyme.
(d) Winter Thyme.
6. What date does Arthur Springer agree to meet with Reta in 2001?
(a) January 2nd.
(b) January 4th.
(c) January 30th.
(d) January 19th.
7. When Reta leaves Arthur in the house by himself to go to the hospital, what does he do?
(a) Cleans the kitchen.
(b) Reads a book and has coffee.
(c) Sleeps on the couch.
(d) Watches television and drinks wine.
8. In her letter about the obituary in the Globe and Mail, what does Reta state she has missed out on?
(a) Some indefinable something.
(b) Something definable.
9. Who has been appointed to a university Chair in Theology?
(a) Gemma Walsh.
(b) Danielle Westerman.
(c) Emma Allen.
(d) Emily Helt.
10. In her letter to the short story writer, Reta hints that a single _________ moment was caught on videotape.
11. Why does Arthur tell Reta the day after Christmas that he has been up all night?
(a) Because he is concerned Reta will miss a deadline.
(b) Because he has not received her book.
(c) Because her book needs a lot of work.
(d) Because he has been thinking about Alicia.
12. What do the Winters believe Norah will do with the package Christine and Natalie give her?
(a) Give some of the items to other homeless people.
(b) Give everything away to other homeless people.
(c) Throw everything away instead of using it.
(d) Save the package but refuse to open it.
13. In Reta's letter to Ford-Halpern, what failure is "a moral dilemma in itself"?
(a) Ford-Halpern's failure to treat Norah.
(b) Ford-Halpern's failure to ask tough questions.
(c) Ford-Halpern's failure to mention any female contributors.
(d) Ford-Halpern's failure to improve Reta's novel.
14. According to Arthur, Roman is an ___________ and ___________ character.
(a) Interesting; smart.
(b) Indifferent; dull.
(c) Indescribable; complex.
(d) Intelligent; interesting.
15. What does Reta remember about Tom's childhood as they walk in the cemetery?
(a) She remembers that Tom ran away from home.
(b) She remembers that his father was in the army.
(c) She remembers that his family lost their fortune.
(d) She remembers that his mother was a terrible housekeeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the short story writer's name who Reta writes a letter to?
2. According to Lois, what year did her husband die?
3. What is the woman who sets herself on fire outside of Honest Ed's wearing?
4. According to Reta, what is the most egregious change Arthur suggests she make in her novel?
5. What does Tom tell Reta on the phone that Norah has which has caused her to be hospitalized?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)