|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Francis, why does everyone dismiss Norah's gloves at the hostel?
(a) Because they thought Norah was just another eccentric street person.
(b) Because they were more concerned with other homeless people.
(c) Because many people at the hostel wore gloves.
(d) Because Norah told them she didn't want to talk about it.
2. What is the woman who sets herself on fire outside of Honest Ed's wearing?
(a) A veil and gown.
(b) Jeans and t-shirt.
(c) A dress.
(d) A habit.
3. In Reta's letter to Ford-Halpern, what is "an endless series of obstacles, an alignment of locked doors"?
(a) Norah's world.
(b) Reta's mind.
(c) Emma's loss.
(d) Danielle's obstacles.
4. What does Arthur accidentally knock over during his first visit at Reta's?
(a) A serving platter.
(b) A wine bottle.
(c) A glass vase.
(d) A book.
5. What great themes of literature does Reta tell Helt she learned while in high school?
(a) Birth, death, good, evil, and sympathy.
(b) Birth, love, work, goodness, and sympathy.
(c) Birth, death, work, suffering, and understanding.
(d) Birth, death, love, connections, work, and understanding.
6. What month does Reta finally meet Arthur Springer for the first time at her home?
7. What does Reta think most people would assume about the inscription on Mary Leland's headstone?
(a) That Mary would be proud.
(b) That the stone mason made a mistake.
(c) That Mary's life was hard.
(d) That the inscription is apt.
8. What list does Lois have arranged in alphabetical order in her recipe box?
(a) A list of one hundred dinners.
(b) A list of one hundred breakfasts.
(c) A list of one hundred lunches.
(d) A list of one hundred desserts.
9. What does Tracy Halliday want a huge jar of marbles to represent for Norah?
(a) The number of prayers Norah's family has said for her.
(b) The number of visitors Norah will have on her street corner.
(c) The number of memories Tracy has of her.
(d) The number of Saturdays in Norah's life if she were to live to be eighty.
10. In what month does Reta write her letter to Ford-Halpern?
11. During lunch, why is Danielle disappointed with Reta's decision to write another novel?
(a) Because she wants Reta to translate another one of her books.
(b) Because she thinks Reta's first novel wasn't very good.
(c) Because she considers writing fiction a trivial pursuit.
(d) Because she wants Reta to focus on rescuing Norah.
12. Whose wedding is Reta worried about?
(a) Marietta and Colin's.
(b) Alicia and Roman's.
(c) Reta and Tom's.
(d) Norah and Ben's.
13. What title does Arthur suggest for Reta's novel?
(a) Bear Fruit.
14. What does Francis Quinn tell Reta and Tom about the gloves Norah has been wearing?
(a) That Norah wears them to bed.
(b) That Norah wears them in the bath.
(c) That Norah wears them to pray.
(d) That Norah wears them at dinner.
15. What does Norah do when Reta attempts to forcibly remove her from her street corner?
(a) She hits Reta.
(b) She screams.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She sits passively.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Norah use to try and put out the flames from the woman's fire?
2. What does Lois tell Arthur she attended many years ago?
3. Why does Reta have difficulty carrying on a conversation with Arthur when he comes o her home for the first time?
4. What is the name of the hospital that Norah is in?
5. In Reta's letter to Ford-Halpern, what failure is "a moral dilemma in itself"?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)