|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her letter to Ford-Halpern, how does Reta think other daughters can be protected from Norah's fate?
(a) By giving speeches across the country.
(b) By imposing stricter vagrancy laws.
(c) By allowing them to be fully human.
(d) By sacrificing happiness for honor.
2. After Reta discovers Norah's wrists, what does Tom leave for Norah when he sees her in Toronto?
(a) A jar of vaseline and sheepskin gloves.
(b) A jar of moisturizer and leather gloves.
(c) A jar of cortisone cream and leather gloves.
(d) A jar of cortisone cream and sheepskin gloves.
3. Who tells Reta and Tom that "Vagrancy can be thoughtful or careless; she has chosen the latter"?
(a) Danielle Westerman.
(b) A psychiatrist.
(c) Ben Abbot.
(d) Norah's professor.
4. Who lost her own son to a heroin overdose?
5. According to Reta, what is the most egregious change Arthur suggests she make in her novel?
(a) That she introduce another character to marry Alicia.
(b) That she introduce another character to marry Roman.
(c) That she make Alicia the focus instead of Roman.
(d) That she make Roman the focus instead of Alicia.
6. In the short story that Reta writes her letter about, what does the Czech professor see in the medical supply shop that disgusts him?
(a) An oxygen tank.
(b) An artifical limb.
(c) A mastectomy bra.
(d) A colostomy bag.
7. Who has been appointed to a university Chair in Theology?
(a) Emily Helt.
(b) Danielle Westerman.
(c) Emma Allen.
(d) Gemma Walsh.
8. Who is Dennis Ford-Halpern?
(a) A television host.
(b) The author of "The Goodness Gap."
(c) Norah's psychiatrist.
(d) Reta's writing teacher.
9. What list does Lois have arranged in alphabetical order in her recipe box?
(a) A list of one hundred lunches.
(b) A list of one hundred dinners.
(c) A list of one hundred desserts.
(d) A list of one hundred breakfasts.
10. Who does Arthur frighten when he accidentally knocks over the object at Reta's house?
11. What is Helt's central thesis in her review of a female author?
(a) That women writers are not as skilled as male writers.
(b) That male writers are not as skilled as women writers.
(c) That male writers are better at writing about feelings.
(d) That women writers are only concerned with feelings.
12. According to Lois, what year did her husband die?
13. Why does Reta have difficulty carrying on a conversation with Arthur when he comes o her home for the first time?
(a) Because he asks too many questions.
(b) Because he never stops speaking.
(c) Because she doesn't understand him.
(d) Because she is preoccupied.
14. What is the short story writer's name who Reta writes a letter to?
(a) Renee Simon.
(b) Robert Spiller.
(c) Richard Smiley.
(d) Russell Sandor.
15. What does Francis Quinn tell Reta and Tom about the gloves Norah has been wearing?
(a) That Norah wears them in the bath.
(b) That Norah wears them to pray.
(c) That Norah wears them to bed.
(d) That Norah wears them at dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What newspaper does Emily Helt write for?
2. According to Arthur, Roman is an ___________ and ___________ character.
3. Why does Arthur tell Reta the day after Christmas that he has been up all night?
4. What items are NOT in the package Christine and Natalie bring Norah after Christmas break?
5. Who works as a trombonist?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)