|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose obituary does Reta read in the Globe and Mail?
(a) Paula Hemingway.
(b) Paul Hillsdale.
(c) Pam Horton.
(d) Peter Harding.
2. What does Lois tell Arthur she attended many years ago?
(a) An opera.
(b) A play.
(c) A concert.
(d) A baseball game.
3. Why has Danielle deleted her early life and reinvented herself?
(a) Because she thinks it is important for feminists to assume new identities.
(b) Because she suffered from an accident and has trouble remembering.
(c) Because she feels the past must be forgotten in order to move forward.
(d) Because her early life is too painful and she wants to forget everything.
4. Who has been appointed to a university Chair in Theology?
(a) Danielle Westerman.
(b) Emily Helt.
(c) Emma Allen.
(d) Gemma Walsh.
5. What does Reta think of Helt's assessment of her first novel?
(a) Reta disagrees with Helt and does not want to be disregarded as a serious writer.
(b) Reta disagrees with Helt but is glad to be regarded as a serious writer.
(c) Reta agrees with Helt and is glad to be regarded as a serious writer.
(d) Reta agrees with Helt but does not want to be disregarded as a serious writer.
6. What list does Lois have arranged in alphabetical order in her recipe box?
(a) A list of one hundred lunches.
(b) A list of one hundred breakfasts.
(c) A list of one hundred desserts.
(d) A list of one hundred dinners.
7. Who is elected Prime Minister again?
(a) Kim Campbell.
(b) Jean Chretrien.
(c) Pierre Trudeau.
(d) John Turner.
8. What items are NOT in the package Christine and Natalie bring Norah after Christmas break?
(a) A thermos and gloves.
(b) A tracksuit and soap.
(c) Fruit and chocolate.
(d) A brush and comb.
9. Who lost her own son to a heroin overdose?
10. What does Norah do when Reta attempts to forcibly remove her from her street corner?
(a) She screams.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She sits passively.
(d) She hits Reta.
11. Why does Arthur Springer call Reta the day after Christmas?
(a) To tell her that he has corrected her partial first draft.
(b) To tell her that he has not read her partial first draft.
(c) To tell her that her partial first draft is wonderful.
(d) To tell her that her partial first draft needs work.
12. What date does Arthur Springer agree to meet with Reta in 2001?
(a) January 4th.
(b) January 30th.
(c) January 19th.
(d) January 2nd.
13. According to Lois, who makes fun of the list in her recipe box?
14. For what dish did Lois win a prize at the Orangetown Fair?
(a) Greek baklava.
(b) German honey cake.
(c) Irish stew.
(d) English fish and chips.
15. In Reta's letter to Ford-Halpern, what is "an endless series of obstacles, an alignment of locked doors"?
(a) Norah's world.
(b) Danielle's obstacles.
(c) Emma's loss.
(d) Reta's mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Chair in Theology, what faith is balanced on words "already" and "not yet?"
2. What assessment does Helt have of Reta's first novel?
3. What does Tracy Halliday want a huge jar of marbles to represent for Norah?
4. According to Lois, what year did her husband die?
5. According to Reta, what is the most egregious change Arthur suggests she make in her novel?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)