|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who insists that Norah is reacting to her state of powerlessness in society during Norah's visit with her?
2. In her review of a female author, Helt states that all relationships are seen through the lens of what?
(a) Sensual yearning.
(b) Sexual harmony.
(c) Erotic love.
(d) Platonic longing.
3. What is the name of the third novel in Reta's trilogy?
(a) Summer Thyme.
(b) Winter Thyme.
(c) Spring Thyme.
(d) Autumn Thyme.
4. What is the woman who sets herself on fire outside of Honest Ed's wearing?
(a) A veil and gown.
(b) Jeans and t-shirt.
(c) A dress.
(d) A habit.
5. In her letter to the short story writer, Reta hints that a single _________ moment was caught on videotape.
6. What list does Lois have arranged in alphabetical order in her recipe box?
(a) A list of one hundred lunches.
(b) A list of one hundred desserts.
(c) A list of one hundred breakfasts.
(d) A list of one hundred dinners.
7. What does Reta notice on Norah's wrists?
(a) Scabs and tattoos.
(b) Scabs and red sores.
(c) Scratches and bruises.
(d) Bandaids and gauze.
8. What question about Norah does Lois Winters ask every night at dinner?
(a) How is Norah?
(b) Where's Norah?
(c) When is Norah coming home?
(d) Why is Norah gone?
9. What is Norah doing when Reta first sees her in the hospital?
10. In the story, who does Reta think the Czech professor must hate?
(b) The reader.
(d) The writer.
11. What does Tom think Norah might be suffering from?
(b) Bipolar disorder.
(d) Post-traumatic stress syndrome.
12. What assessment does Helt have of Reta's first novel?
(a) That it was laborious and difficult to understand.
(b) That it was entertaining but poorly written.
(c) That it was quickly written and a light read.
(d) That it was well-written and complex.
13. According to the friend who advised Reta as a young writer, what do obituaries contain?
(a) The seeds of life.
(b) The soil of life.
(c) The putty of life.
(d) The dough of life.
14. Who works as a trombonist?
15. What date does Arthur Springer agree to meet with Reta in 2001?
(a) January 30th.
(b) January 4th.
(c) January 2nd.
(d) January 19th.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Helt's central thesis in her review of a female author?
2. What does Reta think of Helt's assessment of her first novel?
3. What month does Reta finally meet Arthur Springer for the first time at her home?
4. According to Lois, what year did her husband die?
5. What do the Winters believe Norah will do with the package Christine and Natalie give her?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)