|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What anomaly does Lois tell Arthur she sees on the oak tree outside her window?
(a) A lone leaf.
(b) A ribbon.
(c) A nest.
(d) A dead branch.
2. Who insists that Norah is reacting to her state of powerlessness in society during Norah's visit with her?
3. What does Reta find "ugly, vast, and arresting" as she and Tom walk in the cemetery?
(a) A stone monument.
(b) The icy field.
(c) An old oak tree.
(d) The sky above them.
4. Why does Reta think that novel writing is perhaps a pointless exercise?
(a) Because it has not helped her heal from Norah's absence.
(b) Because she is afraid that she lacks talent to continue.
(c) Because there are fewer readers interested in them.
(d) Because there is so much moral injustice in the world.
5. When Reta leaves Arthur in the house by himself to go to the hospital, what does he do?
(a) Watches television and drinks wine.
(b) Reads a book and has coffee.
(c) Cleans the kitchen.
(d) Sleeps on the couch.
6. Who lost her own son to a heroin overdose?
7. Who works as a trombonist?
8. In her review of a female author, Helt states that all relationships are seen through the lens of what?
(a) Sexual harmony.
(b) Sensual yearning.
(c) Platonic longing.
(d) Erotic love.
9. The nature of _______dominates the conversation between Reta and Danielle at lunch.
10. What does Tracy Halliday want a huge jar of marbles to represent for Norah?
(a) The number of memories Tracy has of her.
(b) The number of Saturdays in Norah's life if she were to live to be eighty.
(c) The number of visitors Norah will have on her street corner.
(d) The number of prayers Norah's family has said for her.
11. What title does Arthur suggest for Reta's novel?
(b) Bear Fruit.
12. In the short story that Reta writes her letter about, what does the Czech professor see in the medical supply shop that disgusts him?
(a) A colostomy bag.
(b) A mastectomy bra.
(c) An artifical limb.
(d) An oxygen tank.
13. Who has been appointed to a university Chair in Theology?
(a) Danielle Westerman.
(b) Emma Allen.
(c) Gemma Walsh.
(d) Emily Helt.
14. What does Reta think most people would assume about the inscription on Mary Leland's headstone?
(a) That Mary would be proud.
(b) That the inscription is apt.
(c) That Mary's life was hard.
(d) That the stone mason made a mistake.
15. During lunch, why is Danielle disappointed with Reta's decision to write another novel?
(a) Because she considers writing fiction a trivial pursuit.
(b) Because she thinks Reta's first novel wasn't very good.
(c) Because she wants Reta to focus on rescuing Norah.
(d) Because she wants Reta to translate another one of her books.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Reta and Tom that "Vagrancy can be thoughtful or careless; she has chosen the latter"?
2. According to Francis, why does everyone dismiss Norah's gloves at the hostel?
3. In Reta's letter to Ford-Halpern, what failure is "a moral dilemma in itself"?
4. Why does Arthur tell Reta the day after Christmas that he has been up all night?
5. What does Arthur consider the last chapter in Reta's novel to be?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)