|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reta mention in her letter about the obituary that she wants from the universe?
2. In her letter about the obituary in the Globe and Mail, what kind of days does Reta write that she is going through?
3. What is Helt's central thesis in her review of a female author?
(a) That male writers are better at writing about feelings.
(b) That male writers are not as skilled as women writers.
(c) That women writers are not as skilled as male writers.
(d) That women writers are only concerned with feelings.
4. What date does Arthur Springer agree to meet with Reta in 2001?
(a) January 4th.
(b) January 2nd.
(c) January 19th.
(d) January 30th.
5. Whose wedding is Reta worried about?
(a) Reta and Tom's.
(b) Marietta and Colin's.
(c) Norah and Ben's.
(d) Alicia and Roman's.
6. What does Reta think most people would assume about the inscription on Mary Leland's headstone?
(a) That the stone mason made a mistake.
(b) That the inscription is apt.
(c) That Mary would be proud.
(d) That Mary's life was hard.
7. What month does Reta finally meet Arthur Springer for the first time at her home?
8. In her review of a female author, Helt states that all relationships are seen through the lens of what?
(a) Erotic love.
(b) Platonic longing.
(c) Sensual yearning.
(d) Sexual harmony.
9. How does Reta sign her letter to Ford-Halpern?
(a) Yours, Rita Orange d'Ville.
(b) Yours, Rita Orange.
(c) Yours, Reta Orangetown.
(d) Yours, Reta Winters.
10. What does Tracy Halliday want a huge jar of marbles to represent for Norah?
(a) The number of visitors Norah will have on her street corner.
(b) The number of memories Tracy has of her.
(c) The number of Saturdays in Norah's life if she were to live to be eighty.
(d) The number of prayers Norah's family has said for her.
11. Who has been appointed to a university Chair in Theology?
(a) Emily Helt.
(b) Emma Allen.
(c) Danielle Westerman.
(d) Gemma Walsh.
12. What newspaper does Emily Helt write for?
(a) The Chicago Tribune.
(b) The Los Angeles Times.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The Washington Post.
13. What is the name of the place Reta meets her friends on Tuesdays?
(a) Yellow Blossom Room.
(b) Red Blossom Room.
(c) Green Blossom Room.
(d) Orange Blossom Room.
14. Arthur tells Reta the day after Christmas that he is filled with admiration for what?
(a) Alicia's goodness.
(b) Norah's resolve.
(c) Reta's talent.
(d) Roman's faith.
15. What title does Arthur suggest for Reta's novel?
(b) Bear Fruit.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Reta, what is "full of isolated events"?
2. Why does Arthur Springer call Reta the day after Christmas?
3. According to the friend who advised Reta as a young writer, what do obituaries contain?
4. In her letter to the short story writer, Reta hints that a single _________ moment was caught on videotape.
5. How does Reta sign her letter about the obituary in the Globe and Mail?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)