|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Francis, why does everyone dismiss Norah's gloves at the hostel?
(a) Because Norah told them she didn't want to talk about it.
(b) Because they were more concerned with other homeless people.
(c) Because they thought Norah was just another eccentric street person.
(d) Because many people at the hostel wore gloves.
2. What is Helt's central thesis in her review of a female author?
(a) That women writers are not as skilled as male writers.
(b) That male writers are not as skilled as women writers.
(c) That women writers are only concerned with feelings.
(d) That male writers are better at writing about feelings.
3. Arthur tells Reta the day after Christmas that he has read all the reviews for what book?
(a) The Goodness Gap.
(b) Thyme in Bloom.
(c) My Thyme is Up.
(d) Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World.
4. What is the short story writer's name who Reta writes a letter to?
(a) Robert Spiller.
(b) Russell Sandor.
(c) Renee Simon.
(d) Richard Smiley.
5. What does Reta remember about Tom's childhood as they walk in the cemetery?
(a) She remembers that his father was in the army.
(b) She remembers that his mother was a terrible housekeeper.
(c) She remembers that Tom ran away from home.
(d) She remembers that his family lost their fortune.
6. Arthur tells Reta the day after Christmas that he is filled with admiration for what?
(a) Alicia's goodness.
(b) Roman's faith.
(c) Norah's resolve.
(d) Reta's talent.
7. Who works as a trombonist?
8. What question about Norah does Lois Winters ask every night at dinner?
(a) When is Norah coming home?
(b) Where's Norah?
(c) How is Norah?
(d) Why is Norah gone?
9. Why does Reta think that novel writing is perhaps a pointless exercise?
(a) Because there are fewer readers interested in them.
(b) Because she is afraid that she lacks talent to continue.
(c) Because it has not helped her heal from Norah's absence.
(d) Because there is so much moral injustice in the world.
10. What does Francis Quinn tell Reta and Tom about the gloves Norah has been wearing?
(a) That Norah wears them to bed.
(b) That Norah wears them in the bath.
(c) That Norah wears them to pray.
(d) That Norah wears them at dinner.
11. What does Tracy Halliday want a huge jar of marbles to represent for Norah?
(a) The number of Saturdays in Norah's life if she were to live to be eighty.
(b) The number of memories Tracy has of her.
(c) The number of prayers Norah's family has said for her.
(d) The number of visitors Norah will have on her street corner.
12. What does Norah do when Reta attempts to forcibly remove her from her street corner?
(a) She sits passively.
(b) She hits Reta.
(c) She screams.
(d) She runs away.
13. In what month does Reta write her letter to Ford-Halpern?
14. What does Reta think of Helt's assessment of her first novel?
(a) Reta disagrees with Helt but is glad to be regarded as a serious writer.
(b) Reta disagrees with Helt and does not want to be disregarded as a serious writer.
(c) Reta agrees with Helt but does not want to be disregarded as a serious writer.
(d) Reta agrees with Helt and is glad to be regarded as a serious writer.
15. What does Lois tell Arthur she attended many years ago?
(a) An opera.
(b) A play.
(c) A concert.
(d) A baseball game.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reta have difficulty carrying on a conversation with Arthur when he comes o her home for the first time?
2. In her letter to Ford-Halpern, how does Reta think other daughters can be protected from Norah's fate?
3. What does Arthur consider the last chapter in Reta's novel to be?
4. For what dish did Lois win a prize at the Orangetown Fair?
5. According to Arthur, Roman is an ___________ and ___________ character.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)