|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her letter about the obituary in the Globe and Mail, what kind of days does Reta write that she is going through?
2. What list does Lois have arranged in alphabetical order in her recipe box?
(a) A list of one hundred breakfasts.
(b) A list of one hundred desserts.
(c) A list of one hundred dinners.
(d) A list of one hundred lunches.
3. What does Reta notice on Norah's wrists?
(a) Bandaids and gauze.
(b) Scabs and red sores.
(c) Scabs and tattoos.
(d) Scratches and bruises.
4. What does Reta remember about Tom's childhood as they walk in the cemetery?
(a) She remembers that his mother was a terrible housekeeper.
(b) She remembers that his father was in the army.
(c) She remembers that his family lost their fortune.
(d) She remembers that Tom ran away from home.
5. What is the name of the hospital that Norah is in?
(a) Toronto General Hospital.
(b) Toronto Psychiatric Hospital.
(c) Ontario Psychiatric Hospital.
(d) Ontario General Hospital.
6. In her letter to the short story writer, Reta hints that a single _________ moment was caught on videotape.
7. What does Reta call the "worry word" of life?
8. Why does Reta have difficulty carrying on a conversation with Arthur when he comes o her home for the first time?
(a) Because she is preoccupied.
(b) Because she doesn't understand him.
(c) Because he asks too many questions.
(d) Because he never stops speaking.
9. In her letter about the obituary in the Globe and Mail, what does Reta state she has missed out on?
(a) Some indefinable something.
(b) Something definable.
10. What date does Arthur Springer agree to meet with Reta in 2001?
(a) January 19th.
(b) January 2nd.
(c) January 30th.
(d) January 4th.
11. What items are NOT in the package Christine and Natalie bring Norah after Christmas break?
(a) A brush and comb.
(b) Fruit and chocolate.
(c) A thermos and gloves.
(d) A tracksuit and soap.
12. What does Norah do when Reta attempts to forcibly remove her from her street corner?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She screams.
(c) She hits Reta.
(d) She sits passively.
13. Arthur tells Reta the day after Christmas that he is filled with admiration for what?
(a) Roman's faith.
(b) Norah's resolve.
(c) Alicia's goodness.
(d) Reta's talent.
14. When Reta leaves Arthur in the house by himself to go to the hospital, what does he do?
(a) Reads a book and has coffee.
(b) Watches television and drinks wine.
(c) Cleans the kitchen.
(d) Sleeps on the couch.
15. For what dish did Lois win a prize at the Orangetown Fair?
(a) Greek baklava.
(b) English fish and chips.
(c) Irish stew.
(d) German honey cake.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Reta discovers Norah's wrists, what does Tom leave for Norah when he sees her in Toronto?
2. Arthur tells Reta the day after Christmas that he has read all the reviews for what book?
3. According to the friend who advised Reta as a young writer, what do obituaries contain?
4. What does Arthur accidentally knock over during his first visit at Reta's?
5. According to Lois, who makes fun of the list in her recipe box?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)