|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Arthur tells Reta the day after Christmas that he is filled with admiration for what?
(a) Roman's faith.
(b) Reta's talent.
(c) Norah's resolve.
(d) Alicia's goodness.
2. In the letter to the short story writer, why does Reta mention that her friend Emma lost the integrity of her body?
(a) Because she lost her leg.
(b) Because she had a double mastectomy.
(c) Because she can't breathe on her own.
(d) Because she had colon cancer.
3. During lunch, why is Danielle disappointed with Reta's decision to write another novel?
(a) Because she wants Reta to focus on rescuing Norah.
(b) Because she wants Reta to translate another one of her books.
(c) Because she considers writing fiction a trivial pursuit.
(d) Because she thinks Reta's first novel wasn't very good.
4. Who does Arthur frighten when he accidentally knocks over the object at Reta's house?
5. How does Reta sign her letter about the obituary in the Globe and Mail?
(a) I grieve for you too. Rita Hayworth Orange Blossom City.
(b) I no longer mourn for you. Rita Hayworth Orange Blossom City.
(c) I will not forgive you. Rita Hayworth Orange Blossom City.
(d) I forgive you too. Rita Hayworth Orange Blossom City.
6. For what dish did Lois win a prize at the Orangetown Fair?
(a) Irish stew.
(b) German honey cake.
(c) English fish and chips.
(d) Greek baklava.
7. What does Reta find "ugly, vast, and arresting" as she and Tom walk in the cemetery?
(a) An old oak tree.
(b) A stone monument.
(c) The icy field.
(d) The sky above them.
8. What does Francis Quinn tell Reta and Tom about the gloves Norah has been wearing?
(a) That Norah wears them to bed.
(b) That Norah wears them to pray.
(c) That Norah wears them in the bath.
(d) That Norah wears them at dinner.
9. When Reta leaves Arthur in the house by himself to go to the hospital, what does he do?
(a) Watches television and drinks wine.
(b) Reads a book and has coffee.
(c) Cleans the kitchen.
(d) Sleeps on the couch.
10. Who works as a trombonist?
11. Whose wedding is Reta worried about?
(a) Reta and Tom's.
(b) Norah and Ben's.
(c) Marietta and Colin's.
(d) Alicia and Roman's.
12. Who lost her own son to a heroin overdose?
13. What anomaly does Lois tell Arthur she sees on the oak tree outside her window?
(a) A lone leaf.
(b) A dead branch.
(c) A nest.
(d) A ribbon.
14. According to Lois, who makes fun of the list in her recipe box?
15. The nature of _______dominates the conversation between Reta and Danielle at lunch.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Francis, why does everyone dismiss Norah's gloves at the hostel?
2. What does Reta think most people would assume about the inscription on Mary Leland's headstone?
3. What does Tracy Halliday want a huge jar of marbles to represent for Norah?
4. Arthur tells Reta the day after Christmas that he has read all the reviews for what book?
5. What do the Winters believe Norah will do with the package Christine and Natalie give her?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)