|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Reta, what is "full of isolated events"?
2. What is the exception Reta is going to make regarding the letter to the short story writer?
(a) Reta is not going to send it.
(b) Reta is actually going to send it.
(c) Reta is going to publish it.
(d) Reta is going to burn it.
3. Why does Arthur Springer call Reta the day after Christmas?
(a) To tell her that he has not read her partial first draft.
(b) To tell her that her partial first draft needs work.
(c) To tell her that he has corrected her partial first draft.
(d) To tell her that her partial first draft is wonderful.
4. What does Reta notice on Norah's wrists?
(a) Scabs and red sores.
(b) Bandaids and gauze.
(c) Scratches and bruises.
(d) Scabs and tattoos.
5. What is the name of the place Reta meets her friends on Tuesdays?
(a) Green Blossom Room.
(b) Yellow Blossom Room.
(c) Red Blossom Room.
(d) Orange Blossom Room.
6. Who is elected Prime Minister again?
(a) Pierre Trudeau.
(b) John Turner.
(c) Kim Campbell.
(d) Jean Chretrien.
7. What does Arthur consider the last chapter in Reta's novel to be?
(a) The worst.
(b) The best.
(c) The least important.
(d) The most important.
8. Who has been appointed to a university Chair in Theology?
(a) Gemma Walsh.
(b) Danielle Westerman.
(c) Emma Allen.
(d) Emily Helt.
9. In the short story that Reta writes her letter about, what does the Czech professor see in the medical supply shop that disgusts him?
(a) An oxygen tank.
(b) An artifical limb.
(c) A colostomy bag.
(d) A mastectomy bra.
10. Why does Lois knock on the door to investigate when Arthur is in the house by himself?
(a) Lois comes to investigate after seeing a stranger lurking outside.
(b) Lois comes to investigate after waiting for the usual signs for dinner.
(c) Lois comes to investigate after hearing a loud noise.
(d) Lois comes to investigate after seeing Arthur close the curtains.
11. What anomaly does Lois tell Arthur she sees on the oak tree outside her window?
(a) A lone leaf.
(b) A ribbon.
(c) A dead branch.
(d) A nest.
12. According to Reta, what is the most egregious change Arthur suggests she make in her novel?
(a) That she make Roman the focus instead of Alicia.
(b) That she introduce another character to marry Alicia.
(c) That she introduce another character to marry Roman.
(d) That she make Alicia the focus instead of Roman.
13. Arthur tells Reta the day after Christmas that he is filled with admiration for what?
(a) Roman's faith.
(b) Norah's resolve.
(c) Reta's talent.
(d) Alicia's goodness.
14. In the cemetery, what is the inscription beneath Mary Leland's name on her headstone?
(a) She Took Good Care of Her Cows.
(b) She Took Good Care of Her Chickens.
(c) She Took Good Care of Her Husband.
(d) She Took Good Care of Her Children.
15. Who tells Reta and Tom that "Vagrancy can be thoughtful or careless; she has chosen the latter"?
(a) Norah's professor.
(b) Danielle Westerman.
(c) A psychiatrist.
(d) Ben Abbot.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Reta sign her letter to Ford-Halpern?
2. According to Arthur, Roman is an ___________ and ___________ character.
3. Why does Arthur state that he thinks of the final chapter as the "kiln?"
4. What does Reta find "ugly, vast, and arresting" as she and Tom walk in the cemetery?
5. What newspaper does Emily Helt write for?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)