|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the idea Reta shrinks from when it comes to writing her book?
(a) Reta shrinks from the idea of not being truthful.
(b) Reta shrinks from the idea of being too explicit.
(c) Reta shrinks from the idea of writing nonfiction.
(d) Reta shrinks from the idea of being prudish.
2. Why does Reta decide not to attend the funeral for the person at Scribano & Lawrence?
(a) Because Reta cannot handle more grief.
(b) Because Reta does not know the person who died very well.
(c) Because Reta thinks the person who died was not good.
(d) Because Reta is going to see Norah instead.
3. What is the first subject Reta and her writer friends discuss at the Orange Blossom Room?
(a) The way to forgiveness.
(b) The loss of truth.
(c) The nature of goodness.
(d) The path to enlightenment.
4. What is the name of the university Norah is accepted to in 1998?
(a) University of Victoria.
(b) St. Mary's University.
(c) King's College.
(d) McGill University.
5. What has a dormitory appearance with meals served and an enforced curfew?
(a) The University of Toronto.
(b) The hostel.
(c) The psychiatric hospital.
(d) The YMCA.
6. What does Reta bring Norah on the way to her appointment to have her eyebrows tinted?
(a) Shoes and books.
(b) Books and a picture of Christine and Natalie.
(c) Food and a picture of Pet.
(d) Food and a warm coat.
7. What rationale does Reta offer about Norah's strange behavior in her letter to Valkner?
(a) It is Norah's way of getting back at Reta for not being there for her.
(b) It is Norah's excuse not to finish school and get her degree.
(c) It is Norah's attempt to be special and above everyone else.
(d) It is Norah's deliberate effort to extiguish herself and be a nothing.
8. What is the name of the previous owners of Reta and Tom's Ontario farmhouse?
9. In the few weeks prior to her disappearance, who does Ben think Norah might have a problem with that would account for her uncharacteristic behavior?
(a) One of her sisters.
(b) One of her co-workers.
(c) One of her professors.
(d) One of her friends.
10. According to Reta, what does she find "monstrous" in the face of Norah's absence?
11. Whose personality is Reta worried about developing in her novel?
12. What does Norah ask Reta about their family when she is nine years-old?
(a) Norah asks Reta whether or not she is adopted.
(b) Norah asks Reta whether or not they are from Canada.
(c) Norah asks Reta whether or not her parents are Catholic.
(d) Norah asks Reta whether or not her parents are married.
13. What two actual events do Reta's writer friends also discuss at the Orange Blossom Room?
(a) The recent Canadian election; the war in Afghanistan.
(b) The woman in Mozambique who gave birth in a tree; the self-immolation of a Muslim woman in Nathan Philips Square.
(c) The military coup in Mozambique; the cost of child care in Toronto.
(d) The self-immolation of a Muslim man in China; the poaching of ivory in North Africa.
14. What problem does Reta initially attribute Norah's disappearance to when she first goes missing?
(a) Norah's relationship with her boyfriend.
(b) Norah's relationship with her sisters.
(c) Norah's relationship with her father.
(d) Norah's relationship with Reta.
15. What troubles Norah when she comes home one weekend her second year at university?
(a) Norah is upset that she cannot spend more time with her sisters.
(b) Norah is anxious about her decision to live with her boyfriend.
(c) Norah is afraid that she will disappoint her parents by failing school.
(d) Norah is disturbed by the sense that she cannot love anyone enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom's friend, Colin Glass, try to explain to Norah when he comes over for dinner?
2. What does Reta want to demonstrate when she and Tom visit Ben after Norah's sudden disappearance?
3. What do Reta, Tom, Christine, and Natalie do in the car in Toronto?
4. What subjects are Christine and Natalie studying for their exams?
5. What task do Reta and Tom engage in after the package is delivered to the Winters' home?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)