|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What days does Reta drive to Toronto to see Norah?
2. Why does Reta also chide Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
(a) For failing to mention some of the century's great female writers.
(b) For including male writers that are blatantly sexist.
(c) For attempting to discuss all literature instead of narrowing his focus.
(d) For his patronizing tone in discussing some of the great female writers of the century.
3. What do Reta, Tom, Christine, and Natalie do in the car in Toronto?
(a) They talk about their feelings and cry.
(b) They share memories of Norah and laugh.
(c) They ponder the future and laugh.
(d) They stare out the windshield and cry.
4. What word does Norah have written on the cardboard sign on her chest?
5. What is Reta's struggle about what a writer of fiction should give the reader?
(a) How much her characters should be like her readers.
(b) How much background information should be given.
(c) How many points of view should be given.
(d) How many metaphors and similes should be used.
6. Why does Arthur Springer from Scribano & Lawrence call Reta to introduce himself?
(a) To tell her they will no longer represent her.
(b) To discuss the terms of her new contract.
(c) To inform her that he is her new editor.
(d) To ask if her novel is near completion.
7. What task do Reta and Tom engage in after the package is delivered to the Winters' home?
8. What is delivered to the house that is emblematic of life going on in the Winters' household?
9. What is the name of the hostel Reta writes a check to each month?
(a) Promise Hostel.
(b) Pillars Hostel.
(c) Peace Hostel.
(d) Passage Hostel.
10. What do Tom and the girls see as a contradiction about the American event they are fixated on?
(a) They see the election results in Florida as a contradiction to the checks and balances system in the constitution.
(b) They see the Indy 500 as a contradiction to public concern for safety.
(c) They see the Kentucky Derby as a contradiction to government regulation of gambling.
(d) They see the presidential speech as a contradiction to the realities of the Iraq war.
11. Who is playing the piano when Reta and Tom have finished their work after their package is delivered?
12. What is the name of Reta's new novel?
(a) Thyme in Bloom.
(b) Thyme to Forgive.
(c) Thyme is Timeless.
(d) Thyme in Mind.
13. What does Reta discover behind the furnace that belonged to the previous owners?
(a) A confession of infidelity.
(b) A love letter.
(c) An invitation to a baby shower.
(d) A child's report card.
14. What does Reta reveal about the first time she met Tom?
(a) They were intimate the first time they met.
(b) He was seeing another woman when they met.
(c) They disliked each other the first time they met.
(d) She was seeing another man when they met.
15. What does Tom's friend, Colin Glass, try to explain to Norah when he comes over for dinner?
(a) Newton's Laws of Motion.
(b) Curie's Theory of Radioactivity.
(c) Darwin's Theory of Evolution.
(d) Einstein's Theory of Relativity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first subject Reta and her writer friends discuss at the Orange Blossom Room?
2. According to Reta, what is "full of rough corners that seem to me just about to come into their full beauty"?
3. What is the signal Reta gives to Lois for her to come over for her nightly meal with the family?
4. Why is Colin's marriage to Marietta troubled?
5. According to Arthur, who possesses "profound human goodness"?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)