|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Norah ask Reta about their family when she is nine years-old?
(a) Norah asks Reta whether or not her parents are married.
(b) Norah asks Reta whether or not she is adopted.
(c) Norah asks Reta whether or not they are from Canada.
(d) Norah asks Reta whether or not her parents are Catholic.
2. During dinner, after Reta and Tom have finished their work, where do Reta's thoughts turn to besides Norah?
(a) The two main characters in her novel.
(b) The bad news on television.
(c) The wedding of her friend, Danielle.
(d) The upcoming holidays.
3. What is the signal Reta gives to Lois for her to come over for her nightly meal with the family?
(a) Reta shuts the red kitchen curtains.
(b) Reta opens the red kitchen curtains.
(c) Reta opens the patio door.
(d) Reta shuts the patio door.
4. Why does Reta also chide Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
(a) For failing to mention some of the century's great female writers.
(b) For attempting to discuss all literature instead of narrowing his focus.
(c) For his patronizing tone in discussing some of the great female writers of the century.
(d) For including male writers that are blatantly sexist.
5. What is the subject of the new book Tom is reading?
6. Why does Natalie thank Reta on Christine's birthday in October?
(a) For being a great mom.
(b) For not naming her Ophelia.
(c) For taking them to dinner.
(d) For throwing a party for Christine.
7. How does Tessa discover the mystery of Norah's disappearance six months prior?
(a) Tessa finds Norah panhandling outside the subway in Toronto.
(b) Tessa's mother sees Norah walking down Bloor and Bathurst in Toronto.
(c) Tessa runs into Norah outside the Toronto library.
(d) Tessa discovers Norah's diary in the Orangetown Library.
8. What do the Winters do when they discover where Norah sleeps at night?
(a) They go to church to pray.
(b) They drive aimlessly throughout the city.
(c) They try to rescue Norah.
(d) They tour the hostel.
9. According to Reta, what is "full of rough corners that seem to me just about to come into their full beauty"?
(a) Reta's writing.
(b) Reta's home.
(c) Reta's daughters.
(d) Reta's husband.
10. According to Reta, what is NOT a romance with impossibly beautiful people?
(a) Her job.
(b) Her marriage.
(c) Her life.
(d) Her novel.
11. According to Reta, young adults live in an age of prolonged _________and protracted__________.
(a) Adulthood; independence.
(b) Adulthood; dependency.
(c) Childhood; independence.
(d) Childhood; dependency.
12. What kind of world is Reta interested in creating for her characters?
(a) A fictional but unbelievable world.
(b) A fictional but believable world.
(c) A nonfictional but believable world.
(d) A nonfictional but unbelievable world.
13. What present does Reta get for Norah's seventeenth birthday while on a book tour in D.C.?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A purse.
14. What constant preoccupation does Reta think is not a normal activity for anyone BUT writers?
(a) The constant preoccupation with recreating the past.
(b) The constant preoccupation with the self.
(c) The constant preoccupation with a world that exists in the imagination.
(d) The constant preoccupation with real life and death concerns.
15. Why does Reta decide not to attend the funeral for the person at Scribano & Lawrence?
(a) Because Reta thinks the person who died was not good.
(b) Because Reta cannot handle more grief.
(c) Because Reta is going to see Norah instead.
(d) Because Reta does not know the person who died very well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Norah enroll at the University of Toronto?
2. What is the idea Reta shrinks from when it comes to writing her book?
3. According to Reta, what does she find "monstrous" in the face of Norah's absence?
4. Who does Reta mention by name in her letter of complaint about "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World"?
5. What does Norah accidentally find in the pocket of Christine's winter parka?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)