|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Reta explain Norah's strange behavior to Christine and Natalie?
(a) Reta tells them Norah is living a life devoted to God.
(b) Reta tells them Norah is living a life in pursuit of beauty.
(c) Reta tells them Norah is living a life in pursuit of goodness.
(d) Reta tells them Norah is living a life of sacrifice and good will.
2. Why does Reta become angry at the male author being interviewed on the literary television show?
(a) Because he is more successful than she is.
(b) Because he doesn't mention any female writers who have influenced him.
(c) Because he lacks talent and imagination.
(d) Because he dismisses her writing to the host.
3. What is the first subject Reta and her writer friends discuss at the Orange Blossom Room?
(a) The way to forgiveness.
(b) The nature of goodness.
(c) The loss of truth.
(d) The path to enlightenment.
4. Why does Reta protest sending Arthur a draft?
(a) Because she lost it on the computer.
(b) Because it is only in her mind.
(c) Because she thinks it is terrible.
(d) Because she wants to work with another editor.
5. What does Reta reveal about the first time she met Tom?
(a) He was seeing another woman when they met.
(b) They disliked each other the first time they met.
(c) They were intimate the first time they met.
(d) She was seeing another man when they met.
6. According to Reta, what is there a sense of that runs throughout her main characters' story?
7. Who is Reta's mentor?
(a) Danielle Westerman.
(b) Madame Sylvia.
(c) Tom Winters
(d) Colin Glass.
8. What does Tom's friend, Colin Glass, try to explain to Norah when he comes over for dinner?
(a) Darwin's Theory of Evolution.
(b) Curie's Theory of Radioactivity.
(c) Einstein's Theory of Relativity.
(d) Newton's Laws of Motion.
9. How does Reta approach Norah when she visits her in early November?
(a) Angrily, as Reta is upset by Norah's behavior.
(b) Joyfully, as Reta is so happy to see Norah.
(c) Carefully, as Reta does not want to appear threatening.
(d) Indifferently, as Reta no longer cares about Norah's panhandling.
10. What kind of woman does Reta realize she cannot create for a heroine in her novel?
(a) An evil woman.
(b) A trustworthy woman.
(c) A perfect woman.
(d) An imperfect woman.
11. What is undrinkable according to Colin?
(a) Green tea.
(b) Tom's lemonade.
(c) Reta's coffee.
(d) Red wine.
12. In the few weeks prior to her disappearance, who does Ben think Norah might have a problem with that would account for her uncharacteristic behavior?
(a) One of her sisters.
(b) One of her friends.
(c) One of her professors.
(d) One of her co-workers.
13. What do the Winters do when they discover where Norah sleeps at night?
(a) They go to church to pray.
(b) They tour the hostel.
(c) They drive aimlessly throughout the city.
(d) They try to rescue Norah.
14. What is the name of the previous owners of Reta and Tom's Ontario farmhouse?
15. What is the signal Reta gives to Lois for her to come over for her nightly meal with the family?
(a) Reta opens the red kitchen curtains.
(b) Reta shuts the patio door.
(c) Reta shuts the red kitchen curtains.
(d) Reta opens the patio door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hostel Reta writes a check to each month?
2. Why does Reta attend a series of interviews in September?
3. What two actual events do Reta's writer friends also discuss at the Orange Blossom Room?
4. How does Reta describe her sexual relationship with Tom?
5. What does Reta discuss with the person she visits after her encounter with Norah in early November?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)