|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reta discover behind the furnace that belonged to the previous owners?
(a) A confession of infidelity.
(b) A child's report card.
(c) An invitation to a baby shower.
(d) A love letter.
2. What two languages are spoken during Reta's childhood?
(a) English and French.
(b) English and Spanish.
(c) English and German.
(d) French and Spanish.
3. Who suddenly dies at Scribano & Lawrence?
(a) Mrs. Lawrence.
(b) Mr. Lawrence.
(c) Mr. Scribano.
(d) Mrs. Scribano.
4. What is the subject of the new book Tom is reading?
5. What American event are Tom and the girls presently fixated on as they watch the news?
(a) The State of the Union address.
(b) The Kentucky Derby.
(c) The Indy 500.
(d) The presidential election.
6. How does Reta approach Norah when she visits her in early November?
(a) Joyfully, as Reta is so happy to see Norah.
(b) Carefully, as Reta does not want to appear threatening.
(c) Angrily, as Reta is upset by Norah's behavior.
(d) Indifferently, as Reta no longer cares about Norah's panhandling.
7. How are Reta and Danielle different?
(a) Reta is young and successful; Danielle is old and poor.
(b) Reta is married with children; Danielle is single and childless.
(c) Reta is a novelist; Danielle is a biographer.
(d) Reta is Canadian; Danielle is American.
8. What is the name of the previous owners of Reta and Tom's Ontario farmhouse?
9. Why is Colin's marriage to Marietta troubled?
(a) Because Marietta is unfaithful.
(b) Because Colin is unfaithful.
(c) Because Marietta has suddenly left Colin.
(d) Because Colin has suddenly left Marietta.
10. Why does Arthur Springer from Scribano & Lawrence call Reta to introduce himself?
(a) To tell her they will no longer represent her.
(b) To ask if her novel is near completion.
(c) To discuss the terms of her new contract.
(d) To inform her that he is her new editor.
11. Why does Reta become angry at the male author being interviewed on the literary television show?
(a) Because he doesn't mention any female writers who have influenced him.
(b) Because he lacks talent and imagination.
(c) Because he dismisses her writing to the host.
(d) Because he is more successful than she is.
12. What draft does Arthur ask Reta to send him?
(a) The final draft of her new novel.
(b) The final draft of her next novel.
(c) The first draft of her next novel.
(d) The first draft of her new novel.
13. How does Reta describe her sexual relationship with Tom?
(a) As dull and infrequent.
(b) As uncomfortable and unpleasant.
(c) As familiar and a safe routine.
(d) As exciting and unpredictable.
14. According to Reta, what are women still dismissed and excluded from?
(a) Primary entitlements.
(b) Freedom of expression.
(c) Economic advancement.
(d) Accolades and compensation.
15. What does Reta bring Norah on the way to her appointment to have her eyebrows tinted?
(a) Shoes and books.
(b) Food and a warm coat.
(c) Books and a picture of Christine and Natalie.
(d) Food and a picture of Pet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Reta mention by name in her letter of complaint about "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World"?
2. What is undrinkable according to Colin?
3. Who does Reta meet for lunch after a radio interview in Baltimore?
4. Where is the apartment Norah shares with her boyfriend located in the building in Toronto?
5. What word does Norah have written on the cardboard sign on her chest?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)