|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is delivered to the house that is emblematic of life going on in the Winters' household?
2. Who does Reta go see after her encounter with Norah in early November?
(a) Mr. Scribano.
(b) Emma Allen.
(c) Danielle Westerman.
(d) Alexander Valkner.
3. According to Reta, what does she find "monstrous" in the face of Norah's absence?
4. What do the Winters do when they discover where Norah sleeps at night?
(a) They go to church to pray.
(b) They try to rescue Norah.
(c) They tour the hostel.
(d) They drive aimlessly throughout the city.
5. What kind of woman does Reta realize she cannot create for a heroine in her novel?
(a) An imperfect woman.
(b) A trustworthy woman.
(c) An evil woman.
(d) A perfect woman.
6. How does Reta explain Norah's strange behavior to Christine and Natalie?
(a) Reta tells them Norah is living a life devoted to God.
(b) Reta tells them Norah is living a life in pursuit of beauty.
(c) Reta tells them Norah is living a life in pursuit of goodness.
(d) Reta tells them Norah is living a life of sacrifice and good will.
7. What prize did Reta's novel, "My Thyme is Up," win the previous year?
(a) The Pulitzer Prize.
(b) The Man Booker Prize.
(c) The Nobel Prize.
(d) The Offenden Prize.
8. What is the name of Reta's friend, a medical journalist who lives in Newfoundland?
(a) Emma Allen.
(b) Emily Alister.
(c) Edith Ackman.
(d) Esther Alford.
9. According to Reta, what is "full of rough corners that seem to me just about to come into their full beauty"?
(a) Reta's writing.
(b) Reta's home.
(c) Reta's daughters.
(d) Reta's husband.
10. Why does Reta cry as she writes the check for the hostel each month?
(a) Reta cries out of grief.
(b) Reta cries out of heartfelt appreciation.
(c) Reta cries out of pity.
(d) Reta cries out of heartbreak.
11. According to Reta's writer friends at the Orange Blossom Room, why are women excluded from real life?
(a) Because men view women as lacking moral authority and capability.
(b) Because men view women as superior to everyday concerns.
(c) Because men view women as incapable of rational thought.
(d) Because men view women as more capable and superior.
12. What exercise does Reta find repellent?
(a) Researching her novel.
(b) Vacuuming her house.
(c) Counting her blessings.
(d) Writing her book.
13. What does Reta discover behind the furnace that belonged to the previous owners?
(a) A confession of infidelity.
(b) An invitation to a baby shower.
(c) A child's report card.
(d) A love letter.
14. What does Reta want to demonstrate when she and Tom visit Ben after Norah's sudden disappearance?
(a) Her approval of Norah.
(b) Her approval of Ben.
(c) Her disapproval of Norah.
(d) Her disapproval of Ben.
15. Who is Reta's mentor?
(a) Danielle Westerman.
(b) Tom Winters
(c) Colin Glass.
(d) Madame Sylvia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reta attend a series of interviews in September?
2. What draft does Arthur ask Reta to send him?
3. What constant preoccupation does Reta think is not a normal activity for anyone BUT writers?
4. What has a dormitory appearance with meals served and an enforced curfew?
5. How old does Christine, Reta's daughter, turn in October?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)