|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What praise does Reta give Alexander Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
(a) Reta praises his personal narrative style.
(b) Reta praises his research method.
(c) Reta praises his broad approach.
(d) Reta praises his intellectual rigor.
2. How are Reta and Danielle different?
(a) Reta is Canadian; Danielle is American.
(b) Reta is a novelist; Danielle is a biographer.
(c) Reta is young and successful; Danielle is old and poor.
(d) Reta is married with children; Danielle is single and childless.
3. How does Reta describe her sexual relationship with Tom?
(a) As exciting and unpredictable.
(b) As dull and infrequent.
(c) As familiar and a safe routine.
(d) As uncomfortable and unpleasant.
4. How old does Christine, Reta's daughter, turn in October?
5. What task do Reta and Tom engage in after the package is delivered to the Winters' home?
6. What draft does Arthur ask Reta to send him?
(a) The first draft of her next novel.
(b) The final draft of her next novel.
(c) The final draft of her new novel.
(d) The first draft of her new novel.
7. What does Reta discover behind the furnace that belonged to the previous owners?
(a) An invitation to a baby shower.
(b) A love letter.
(c) A confession of infidelity.
(d) A child's report card.
8. Why does Reta become angry at the male author being interviewed on the literary television show?
(a) Because he dismisses her writing to the host.
(b) Because he is more successful than she is.
(c) Because he lacks talent and imagination.
(d) Because he doesn't mention any female writers who have influenced him.
9. According to Reta, what is "full of rough corners that seem to me just about to come into their full beauty"?
(a) Reta's daughters.
(b) Reta's home.
(c) Reta's writing.
(d) Reta's husband.
10. What has Reta attempted to talk about with her daughters regarding sex?
(a) Reta has attempted to talk about birth control.
(b) Reta has attempted to find out if they are having sex.
(c) Reta has attempted to share her own experiences.
(d) Reta has attempted to convince them to wait until marriage.
11. Why is Colin's marriage to Marietta troubled?
(a) Because Marietta has suddenly left Colin.
(b) Because Colin is unfaithful.
(c) Because Colin has suddenly left Marietta.
(d) Because Marietta is unfaithful.
12. What does Norah ask Reta about their family when she is nine years-old?
(a) Norah asks Reta whether or not they are from Canada.
(b) Norah asks Reta whether or not she is adopted.
(c) Norah asks Reta whether or not her parents are married.
(d) Norah asks Reta whether or not her parents are Catholic.
13. What are the two main characters' names in the sequel to Reta's first novel?
(a) Amy and Richard.
(b) Andrea and Ramon.
(c) Alice and Robert.
(d) Alicia and Roman.
14. According to Reta, what does she find "monstrous" in the face of Norah's absence?
15. Whose personality is Reta worried about developing in her novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of woman does Reta realize she cannot create for a heroine in her novel?
2. What kind of world is Reta interested in creating for her characters?
3. According to Reta's writer friends at the Orange Blossom Room, why are women excluded from real life?
4. Who does Reta go see after her encounter with Norah in early November?
5. What does Tom's friend, Colin Glass, try to explain to Norah when he comes over for dinner?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)