|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Reta attend a series of interviews in September?
(a) Reta attends them because she enjoys being interviewed.
(b) Reta attends them in order to get a raise at work.
(c) Reta attends them because it is part of her research.
(d) Reta attends them on behalf of her mentor.
2. What is Reta's struggle about what a writer of fiction should give the reader?
(a) How much her characters should be like her readers.
(b) How much background information should be given.
(c) How many points of view should be given.
(d) How many metaphors and similes should be used.
3. What is the name of the book Reta picks up at Orangetown Library?
(a) The Virtue of Victory.
(b) The Forgiving Fall.
(c) The Goodness Gap.
(d) The Loss of Love.
4. During dinner, after Reta and Tom have finished their work, where do Reta's thoughts turn to besides Norah?
(a) The wedding of her friend, Danielle.
(b) The two main characters in her novel.
(c) The upcoming holidays.
(d) The bad news on television.
5. What does Reta question about her feelings for Tom?
(a) Whether she trusts him.
(b) Whether she loves him.
(c) Whether she respects him.
(d) Whether she dislikes him.
6. What prize did Reta's novel, "My Thyme is Up," win the previous year?
(a) The Pulitzer Prize.
(b) The Offenden Prize.
(c) The Nobel Prize.
(d) The Man Booker Prize.
7. Why does Reta become angry at the male author being interviewed on the literary television show?
(a) Because he dismisses her writing to the host.
(b) Because he lacks talent and imagination.
(c) Because he doesn't mention any female writers who have influenced him.
(d) Because he is more successful than she is.
8. How does Tessa discover the mystery of Norah's disappearance six months prior?
(a) Tessa runs into Norah outside the Toronto library.
(b) Tessa discovers Norah's diary in the Orangetown Library.
(c) Tessa's mother sees Norah walking down Bloor and Bathurst in Toronto.
(d) Tessa finds Norah panhandling outside the subway in Toronto.
9. What has a dormitory appearance with meals served and an enforced curfew?
(a) The University of Toronto.
(b) The YMCA.
(c) The psychiatric hospital.
(d) The hostel.
10. What is the name of Reta's new novel?
(a) Thyme in Bloom.
(b) Thyme in Mind.
(c) Thyme is Timeless.
(d) Thyme to Forgive.
11. What is the name of the hostel Reta writes a check to each month?
(a) Passage Hostel.
(b) Promise Hostel.
(c) Peace Hostel.
(d) Pillars Hostel.
12. Why does Reta cry as she writes the check for the hostel each month?
(a) Reta cries out of pity.
(b) Reta cries out of grief.
(c) Reta cries out of heartfelt appreciation.
(d) Reta cries out of heartbreak.
13. What does Reta bring Norah on the way to her appointment to have her eyebrows tinted?
(a) Food and a picture of Pet.
(b) Food and a warm coat.
(c) Shoes and books.
(d) Books and a picture of Christine and Natalie.
14. According to Ben, Norah had become uncharacteristically __________ and __________ in the few weeks prior to her disappearance.
(a) Calm; peaceful.
(b) Depressed; lethargic.
(c) Manic; jumpy.
(d) Irritable; short-tempered.
15. How are Reta and Danielle different?
(a) Reta is young and successful; Danielle is old and poor.
(b) Reta is married with children; Danielle is single and childless.
(c) Reta is Canadian; Danielle is American.
(d) Reta is a novelist; Danielle is a biographer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What exercise does Reta find repellent?
2. What subjects are Christine and Natalie studying for their exams?
3. According to Reta's writer friends at the Orange Blossom Room, why are women excluded from real life?
4. Why does Norah enroll at the University of Toronto?
5. What do Reta, Tom, Christine, and Natalie do in the car in Toronto?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)