|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom's friend, Colin Glass, try to explain to Norah when he comes over for dinner?
(a) Einstein's Theory of Relativity.
(b) Darwin's Theory of Evolution.
(c) Curie's Theory of Radioactivity.
(d) Newton's Laws of Motion.
2. According to Arthur, who possesses "profound human goodness"?
3. According to Reta, what is "full of rough corners that seem to me just about to come into their full beauty"?
(a) Reta's writing.
(b) Reta's husband.
(c) Reta's daughters.
(d) Reta's home.
4. What does Reta discover behind the furnace that belonged to the previous owners?
(a) A child's report card.
(b) A confession of infidelity.
(c) An invitation to a baby shower.
(d) A love letter.
5. Why does Reta cry as she writes the check for the hostel each month?
(a) Reta cries out of pity.
(b) Reta cries out of heartbreak.
(c) Reta cries out of grief.
(d) Reta cries out of heartfelt appreciation.
6. What draft does Arthur ask Reta to send him?
(a) The final draft of her new novel.
(b) The first draft of her next novel.
(c) The first draft of her new novel.
(d) The final draft of her next novel.
7. What is delivered to the house that is emblematic of life going on in the Winters' household?
8. According to Reta, what are women still dismissed and excluded from?
(a) Economic advancement.
(b) Accolades and compensation.
(c) Primary entitlements.
(d) Freedom of expression.
9. How does Reta describe her sexual relationship with Tom?
(a) As familiar and a safe routine.
(b) As exciting and unpredictable.
(c) As uncomfortable and unpleasant.
(d) As dull and infrequent.
10. According to Ben, Norah had become uncharacteristically __________ and __________ in the few weeks prior to her disappearance.
(a) Calm; peaceful.
(b) Depressed; lethargic.
(c) Irritable; short-tempered.
(d) Manic; jumpy.
11. What does Reta bring Norah on the way to her appointment to have her eyebrows tinted?
(a) Food and a picture of Pet.
(b) Books and a picture of Christine and Natalie.
(c) Food and a warm coat.
(d) Shoes and books.
12. Why does Reta write a check to the hostel each month?
(a) Because it is run for homeless women with children.
(b) Because it is where Norah sleeps every night.
(c) Because it is where Norah works during the day.
(d) Because it is run for battered women.
13. Where is the apartment Norah shares with her boyfriend located in the building in Toronto?
(a) The basement.
(b) The fourth floor.
(c) The first floor.
(d) The top floor.
14. What American event are Tom and the girls presently fixated on as they watch the news?
(a) The Kentucky Derby.
(b) The Indy 500.
(c) The State of the Union address.
(d) The presidential election.
15. Why does Reta attend a series of interviews in September?
(a) Reta attends them on behalf of her mentor.
(b) Reta attends them because she enjoys being interviewed.
(c) Reta attends them because it is part of her research.
(d) Reta attends them in order to get a raise at work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reta protest sending Arthur a draft?
2. Why does Reta include "The Hermitage" in her signature at the end of her letter of complaint about "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World"?
3. Why does Arthur Springer from Scribano & Lawrence call Reta to introduce himself?
4. What word does Norah have written on the cardboard sign on her chest?
5. What is the name of the hostel Reta writes a check to each month?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)