|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Reta write a check to the hostel each month?
(a) Because it is run for homeless women with children.
(b) Because it is run for battered women.
(c) Because it is where Norah sleeps every night.
(d) Because it is where Norah works during the day.
2. What do Tom and the girls see as a contradiction about the American event they are fixated on?
(a) They see the presidential speech as a contradiction to the realities of the Iraq war.
(b) They see the election results in Florida as a contradiction to the checks and balances system in the constitution.
(c) They see the Kentucky Derby as a contradiction to government regulation of gambling.
(d) They see the Indy 500 as a contradiction to public concern for safety.
3. What two actual events do Reta's writer friends also discuss at the Orange Blossom Room?
(a) The recent Canadian election; the war in Afghanistan.
(b) The self-immolation of a Muslim man in China; the poaching of ivory in North Africa.
(c) The military coup in Mozambique; the cost of child care in Toronto.
(d) The woman in Mozambique who gave birth in a tree; the self-immolation of a Muslim woman in Nathan Philips Square.
4. What do the Winters do when they discover where Norah sleeps at night?
(a) They go to church to pray.
(b) They drive aimlessly throughout the city.
(c) They tour the hostel.
(d) They try to rescue Norah.
5. What rationale does Reta offer about Norah's strange behavior in her letter to Valkner?
(a) It is Norah's way of getting back at Reta for not being there for her.
(b) It is Norah's attempt to be special and above everyone else.
(c) It is Norah's excuse not to finish school and get her degree.
(d) It is Norah's deliberate effort to extiguish herself and be a nothing.
6. Who is Reta's mentor?
(a) Colin Glass.
(b) Madame Sylvia.
(c) Danielle Westerman.
(d) Tom Winters
7. Who is playing the piano when Reta and Tom have finished their work after their package is delivered?
8. According to Arthur, who possesses "profound human goodness"?
9. What does Reta do in lieu of attending the funeral for the person at Scribano & Lawrence?
(a) Reta does nothing.
(b) Reta sends flowers and a note.
(c) Reta grieves at home with her family.
(d) Reta brings a plant to the office.
10. What do Reta, Tom, Christine, and Natalie do in the car in Toronto?
(a) They share memories of Norah and laugh.
(b) They ponder the future and laugh.
(c) They stare out the windshield and cry.
(d) They talk about their feelings and cry.
11. How does Reta describe her sexual relationship with Tom?
(a) As familiar and a safe routine.
(b) As exciting and unpredictable.
(c) As dull and infrequent.
(d) As uncomfortable and unpleasant.
12. According to Ben, Norah had become uncharacteristically __________ and __________ in the few weeks prior to her disappearance.
(a) Manic; jumpy.
(b) Calm; peaceful.
(c) Irritable; short-tempered.
(d) Depressed; lethargic.
13. Why does Reta decide not to attend the funeral for the person at Scribano & Lawrence?
(a) Because Reta is going to see Norah instead.
(b) Because Reta does not know the person who died very well.
(c) Because Reta cannot handle more grief.
(d) Because Reta thinks the person who died was not good.
14. Where is the apartment Norah shares with her boyfriend located in the building in Toronto?
(a) The top floor.
(b) The first floor.
(c) The basement.
(d) The fourth floor.
15. What sport have Christine and Natalie given up playing on Saturdays to spend the day with Norah?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reta discover behind the furnace that belonged to the previous owners?
2. According to Reta, what are women still dismissed and excluded from?
3. Why does Arthur ask Reta to send him a draft?
4. What task do Reta and Tom engage in after the package is delivered to the Winters' home?
5. What days does Reta drive to Toronto to see Norah?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)