|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what point of view is Reta considering writing her novel?
(a) First-person point of view.
(b) Second-person point of view.
(c) Third-person limited point of view.
(d) Third-person omniscient point of view.
2. Why does Reta attend a series of interviews in September?
(a) Reta attends them because she enjoys being interviewed.
(b) Reta attends them on behalf of her mentor.
(c) Reta attends them in order to get a raise at work.
(d) Reta attends them because it is part of her research.
3. What word does Norah have written on the cardboard sign on her chest?
4. According to Reta, what is NOT a romance with impossibly beautiful people?
(a) Her novel.
(b) Her job.
(c) Her life.
(d) Her marriage.
5. What is the name of Reta's friend, a medical journalist who lives in Newfoundland?
(a) Esther Alford.
(b) Edith Ackman.
(c) Emma Allen.
(d) Emily Alister.
6. Why does Reta write a letter of complaint to an editor of a literary magazine about a series of books called "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World"?
(a) Because her books are left out of the list.
(b) Because the books only focus on Western intellectuals.
(c) Because none of the books feature women writers.
(d) Because most of the books feature 19th century women.
7. What task do Reta and Tom engage in after the package is delivered to the Winters' home?
8. Where is the apartment Norah shares with her boyfriend located in the building in Toronto?
(a) The first floor.
(b) The top floor.
(c) The fourth floor.
(d) The basement.
9. What has Reta attempted to talk about with her daughters regarding sex?
(a) Reta has attempted to share her own experiences.
(b) Reta has attempted to talk about birth control.
(c) Reta has attempted to find out if they are having sex.
(d) Reta has attempted to convince them to wait until marriage.
10. Why is Colin's marriage to Marietta troubled?
(a) Because Colin has suddenly left Marietta.
(b) Because Marietta is unfaithful.
(c) Because Marietta has suddenly left Colin.
(d) Because Colin is unfaithful.
11. How does Reta describe her sexual relationship with Tom?
(a) As dull and infrequent.
(b) As exciting and unpredictable.
(c) As uncomfortable and unpleasant.
(d) As familiar and a safe routine.
12. What sport have Christine and Natalie given up playing on Saturdays to spend the day with Norah?
13. Why does Arthur ask Reta to send him a draft?
(a) So that he can correct her grammar.
(b) So that he can make sure she is doing a good job.
(c) So that he can help her in the writing of it.
(d) So that he can share it with his colleagues.
14. Why does Natalie thank Reta on Christine's birthday in October?
(a) For taking them to dinner.
(b) For not naming her Ophelia.
(c) For throwing a party for Christine.
(d) For being a great mom.
15. What is the subject of the new book Tom is reading?
Short Answer Questions
1. What praise does Reta give Alexander Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
2. What does Reta want to demonstrate when she and Tom visit Ben after Norah's sudden disappearance?
3. What does Reta do in lieu of attending the funeral for the person at Scribano & Lawrence?
4. What is the name of Reta's new novel?
5. What do Reta, Tom, Christine, and Natalie do in the car in Toronto?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)