|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what point of view is Reta considering writing her novel?
(a) Third-person limited point of view.
(b) First-person point of view.
(c) Second-person point of view.
(d) Third-person omniscient point of view.
2. What is undrinkable according to Colin?
(a) Reta's coffee.
(b) Red wine.
(c) Green tea.
(d) Tom's lemonade.
3. How does Tessa discover the mystery of Norah's disappearance six months prior?
(a) Tessa finds Norah panhandling outside the subway in Toronto.
(b) Tessa discovers Norah's diary in the Orangetown Library.
(c) Tessa's mother sees Norah walking down Bloor and Bathurst in Toronto.
(d) Tessa runs into Norah outside the Toronto library.
4. What present does Reta get for Norah's seventeenth birthday while on a book tour in D.C.?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A purse.
5. According to Reta, what are women still dismissed and excluded from?
(a) Freedom of expression.
(b) Accolades and compensation.
(c) Economic advancement.
(d) Primary entitlements.
6. Why is Colin's marriage to Marietta troubled?
(a) Because Marietta is unfaithful.
(b) Because Colin is unfaithful.
(c) Because Marietta has suddenly left Colin.
(d) Because Colin has suddenly left Marietta.
7. Who is Reta's mentor?
(a) Madame Sylvia.
(b) Danielle Westerman.
(c) Tom Winters
(d) Colin Glass.
8. What does Reta bring Norah on the way to her appointment to have her eyebrows tinted?
(a) Shoes and books.
(b) Food and a picture of Pet.
(c) Food and a warm coat.
(d) Books and a picture of Christine and Natalie.
9. What sport have Christine and Natalie given up playing on Saturdays to spend the day with Norah?
10. Why does Natalie thank Reta on Christine's birthday in October?
(a) For not naming her Ophelia.
(b) For taking them to dinner.
(c) For being a great mom.
(d) For throwing a party for Christine.
11. How old does Christine, Reta's daughter, turn in October?
12. In the few weeks prior to her disappearance, who does Ben think Norah might have a problem with that would account for her uncharacteristic behavior?
(a) One of her co-workers.
(b) One of her friends.
(c) One of her professors.
(d) One of her sisters.
13. What is the idea Reta shrinks from when it comes to writing her book?
(a) Reta shrinks from the idea of being too explicit.
(b) Reta shrinks from the idea of being prudish.
(c) Reta shrinks from the idea of not being truthful.
(d) Reta shrinks from the idea of writing nonfiction.
14. What does Reta do in lieu of attending the funeral for the person at Scribano & Lawrence?
(a) Reta grieves at home with her family.
(b) Reta does nothing.
(c) Reta sends flowers and a note.
(d) Reta brings a plant to the office.
15. Why does Reta become angry at the male author being interviewed on the literary television show?
(a) Because he lacks talent and imagination.
(b) Because he dismisses her writing to the host.
(c) Because he is more successful than she is.
(d) Because he doesn't mention any female writers who have influenced him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Reta explain Norah's strange behavior to Christine and Natalie?
2. What does Tom's friend, Colin Glass, try to explain to Norah when he comes over for dinner?
3. What praise does Reta give Alexander Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
4. What has Reta attempted to talk about with her daughters regarding sex?
5. What kind of woman does Reta realize she cannot create for a heroine in her novel?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)