|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reta reveal about the first time she met Tom?
(a) They were intimate the first time they met.
(b) She was seeing another man when they met.
(c) They disliked each other the first time they met.
(d) He was seeing another woman when they met.
2. Who suddenly dies at Scribano & Lawrence?
(a) Mrs. Lawrence.
(b) Mr. Lawrence.
(c) Mrs. Scribano.
(d) Mr. Scribano.
3. Who does Reta mention by name in her letter of complaint about "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World"?
4. How does Tessa discover the mystery of Norah's disappearance six months prior?
(a) Tessa runs into Norah outside the Toronto library.
(b) Tessa's mother sees Norah walking down Bloor and Bathurst in Toronto.
(c) Tessa finds Norah panhandling outside the subway in Toronto.
(d) Tessa discovers Norah's diary in the Orangetown Library.
5. During dinner, after Reta and Tom have finished their work, where do Reta's thoughts turn to besides Norah?
(a) The two main characters in her novel.
(b) The bad news on television.
(c) The upcoming holidays.
(d) The wedding of her friend, Danielle.
6. How old does Christine, Reta's daughter, turn in October?
7. What is the subject of the new book Tom is reading?
8. What praise does Reta give Alexander Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
(a) Reta praises his intellectual rigor.
(b) Reta praises his research method.
(c) Reta praises his personal narrative style.
(d) Reta praises his broad approach.
9. Why does Reta attend a series of interviews in September?
(a) Reta attends them because she enjoys being interviewed.
(b) Reta attends them on behalf of her mentor.
(c) Reta attends them in order to get a raise at work.
(d) Reta attends them because it is part of her research.
10. What sport have Christine and Natalie given up playing on Saturdays to spend the day with Norah?
11. Why does Reta become angry at the male author being interviewed on the literary television show?
(a) Because he dismisses her writing to the host.
(b) Because he doesn't mention any female writers who have influenced him.
(c) Because he lacks talent and imagination.
(d) Because he is more successful than she is.
12. What does Reta do in lieu of attending the funeral for the person at Scribano & Lawrence?
(a) Reta sends flowers and a note.
(b) Reta does nothing.
(c) Reta brings a plant to the office.
(d) Reta grieves at home with her family.
13. Who does Reta go see after her encounter with Norah in early November?
(a) Mr. Scribano.
(b) Danielle Westerman.
(c) Alexander Valkner.
(d) Emma Allen.
14. What American event are Tom and the girls presently fixated on as they watch the news?
(a) The Kentucky Derby.
(b) The State of the Union address.
(c) The presidential election.
(d) The Indy 500.
15. What troubles Norah when she comes home one weekend her second year at university?
(a) Norah is disturbed by the sense that she cannot love anyone enough.
(b) Norah is upset that she cannot spend more time with her sisters.
(c) Norah is anxious about her decision to live with her boyfriend.
(d) Norah is afraid that she will disappoint her parents by failing school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What days does Reta drive to Toronto to see Norah?
2. What is the signal Reta gives to Lois for her to come over for her nightly meal with the family?
3. How does Reta describe her sexual relationship with Tom?
4. What does Reta immerse herself in despite her continuing grief?
5. Whose personality is Reta worried about developing in her novel?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)