Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two languages are spoken during Reta's childhood?
(a) French and Spanish.
(b) English and German.
(c) English and Spanish.
(d) English and French.
2. What does Reta discover behind the furnace that belonged to the previous owners?
(a) A love letter.
(b) A child's report card.
(c) A confession of infidelity.
(d) An invitation to a baby shower.
3. Whose personality is Reta worried about developing in her novel?
4. What is undrinkable according to Colin?
(a) Red wine.
(b) Tom's lemonade.
(c) Reta's coffee.
(d) Green tea.
5. What kind of woman does Reta realize she cannot create for a heroine in her novel?
(a) A perfect woman.
(b) An imperfect woman.
(c) An evil woman.
(d) A trustworthy woman.
6. What does Reta want to demonstrate when she and Tom visit Ben after Norah's sudden disappearance?
(a) Her approval of Norah.
(b) Her disapproval of Norah.
(c) Her disapproval of Ben.
(d) Her approval of Ben.
7. What is Reta's struggle about what a writer of fiction should give the reader?
(a) How much background information should be given.
(b) How many points of view should be given.
(c) How much her characters should be like her readers.
(d) How many metaphors and similes should be used.
8. What task do Reta and Tom engage in after the package is delivered to the Winters' home?
9. What American event are Tom and the girls presently fixated on as they watch the news?
(a) The Kentucky Derby.
(b) The Indy 500.
(c) The State of the Union address.
(d) The presidential election.
10. How are Reta and Danielle different?
(a) Reta is Canadian; Danielle is American.
(b) Reta is young and successful; Danielle is old and poor.
(c) Reta is a novelist; Danielle is a biographer.
(d) Reta is married with children; Danielle is single and childless.
11. Who is playing the piano when Reta and Tom have finished their work after their package is delivered?
12. What is the name of the book Reta picks up at Orangetown Library?
(a) The Loss of Love.
(b) The Forgiving Fall.
(c) The Goodness Gap.
(d) The Virtue of Victory.
13. What has a dormitory appearance with meals served and an enforced curfew?
(a) The YMCA.
(b) The psychiatric hospital.
(c) The hostel.
(d) The University of Toronto.
14. What two actual events do Reta's writer friends also discuss at the Orange Blossom Room?
(a) The military coup in Mozambique; the cost of child care in Toronto.
(b) The self-immolation of a Muslim man in China; the poaching of ivory in North Africa.
(c) The recent Canadian election; the war in Afghanistan.
(d) The woman in Mozambique who gave birth in a tree; the self-immolation of a Muslim woman in Nathan Philips Square.
15. What subjects are Christine and Natalie studying for their exams?
(a) Spanish, English, Science, History.
(b) Math, Language Arts, Science, English.
(c) History, French, Science, Social Studies.
(d) French, History, Math, Language Arts.
Short Answer Questions
1. During dinner, after Reta and Tom have finished their work, where do Reta's thoughts turn to besides Norah?
2. Why does Reta decide not to attend the funeral for the person at Scribano & Lawrence?
3. What is delivered to the house that is emblematic of life going on in the Winters' household?
4. According to Reta, what is NOT a romance with impossibly beautiful people?
5. Why is Colin's marriage to Marietta troubled?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)