|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem does Reta initially attribute Norah's disappearance to when she first goes missing?
(a) Norah's relationship with Reta.
(b) Norah's relationship with her father.
(c) Norah's relationship with her sisters.
(d) Norah's relationship with her boyfriend.
2. Why does Reta decide not to attend the funeral for the person at Scribano & Lawrence?
(a) Because Reta cannot handle more grief.
(b) Because Reta is going to see Norah instead.
(c) Because Reta does not know the person who died very well.
(d) Because Reta thinks the person who died was not good.
3. Who is Reta's mentor?
(a) Tom Winters
(b) Madame Sylvia.
(c) Colin Glass.
(d) Danielle Westerman.
4. What are the two main characters' names in the sequel to Reta's first novel?
(a) Alice and Robert.
(b) Alicia and Roman.
(c) Andrea and Ramon.
(d) Amy and Richard.
5. How does Reta describe her sexual relationship with Tom?
(a) As uncomfortable and unpleasant.
(b) As dull and infrequent.
(c) As exciting and unpredictable.
(d) As familiar and a safe routine.
6. Why does Arthur Springer from Scribano & Lawrence call Reta to introduce himself?
(a) To inform her that he is her new editor.
(b) To tell her they will no longer represent her.
(c) To discuss the terms of her new contract.
(d) To ask if her novel is near completion.
7. According to Reta, what is "full of rough corners that seem to me just about to come into their full beauty"?
(a) Reta's daughters.
(b) Reta's writing.
(c) Reta's home.
(d) Reta's husband.
8. Whose personality is Reta worried about developing in her novel?
9. Why does Natalie thank Reta on Christine's birthday in October?
(a) For throwing a party for Christine.
(b) For being a great mom.
(c) For not naming her Ophelia.
(d) For taking them to dinner.
10. What does Reta bring Norah on the way to her appointment to have her eyebrows tinted?
(a) Shoes and books.
(b) Food and a warm coat.
(c) Books and a picture of Christine and Natalie.
(d) Food and a picture of Pet.
11. According to Reta, what is there a sense of that runs throughout her main characters' story?
12. What is Reta's struggle about what a writer of fiction should give the reader?
(a) How much background information should be given.
(b) How much her characters should be like her readers.
(c) How many metaphors and similes should be used.
(d) How many points of view should be given.
13. What do Reta, Tom, Christine, and Natalie do in the car in Toronto?
(a) They share memories of Norah and laugh.
(b) They ponder the future and laugh.
(c) They talk about their feelings and cry.
(d) They stare out the windshield and cry.
14. What is the name of the book Reta picks up at Orangetown Library?
(a) The Goodness Gap.
(b) The Forgiving Fall.
(c) The Loss of Love.
(d) The Virtue of Victory.
15. What task do Reta and Tom engage in after the package is delivered to the Winters' home?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hostel Reta writes a check to each month?
2. What is the name of Reta's new novel?
3. Who does Reta go see after her encounter with Norah in early November?
4. Why does Reta write a check to the hostel each month?
5. According to Reta, what does she find "monstrous" in the face of Norah's absence?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)