|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 36.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Arthur state that he thinks of the final chapter as the "kiln?"
(a) Because the clay is malleable and the ending will harden into something beautiful.
(b) Because the labor of creation is the same in writing as in art.
(c) Because the heat of the fire is akin to the power of the ending.
(d) Because the clay is as malleable as a reader's interpretation.
2. Arthur tells Reta the day after Christmas that he has read all the reviews for what book?
(a) My Thyme is Up.
(b) Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World.
(c) Thyme in Bloom.
(d) The Goodness Gap.
3. Why does Reta include "The Hermitage" in her signature at the end of her letter of complaint about "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World"?
(a) Because Reta feels as a mother she should tend to her family.
(b) Because Reta feels as a writer she needs to work away from people.
(c) Because Reta feels as a woman she should focus on her home.
(d) Because Reta feels as a woman she is shut out of the universe.
4. Who lost her own son to a heroin overdose?
5. Why does Reta write a letter of complaint to an editor of a literary magazine about a series of books called "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World"?
(a) Because none of the books feature women writers.
(b) Because the books only focus on Western intellectuals.
(c) Because most of the books feature 19th century women.
(d) Because her books are left out of the list.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reta decide not to attend the funeral for the person at Scribano & Lawrence?
2. What rationale does Reta offer about Norah's strange behavior in her letter to Valkner?
3. Why does Arthur tell Reta the day after Christmas that he has been up all night?
4. What is delivered to the house that is emblematic of life going on in the Winters' household?
5. According to Ben, Norah had become uncharacteristically __________ and __________ in the few weeks prior to her disappearance.
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)