|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 27.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the cemetery, what is the inscription beneath Mary Leland's name on her headstone?
(a) She Took Good Care of Her Cows.
(b) She Took Good Care of Her Chickens.
(c) She Took Good Care of Her Husband.
(d) She Took Good Care of Her Children.
2. Why does Reta write a check to the hostel each month?
(a) Because it is where Norah works during the day.
(b) Because it is where Norah sleeps every night.
(c) Because it is run for homeless women with children.
(d) Because it is run for battered women.
3. In her letter to Ford-Halpern, how does Reta think other daughters can be protected from Norah's fate?
(a) By giving speeches across the country.
(b) By imposing stricter vagrancy laws.
(c) By sacrificing happiness for honor.
(d) By allowing them to be fully human.
4. According to Reta, what is "full of rough corners that seem to me just about to come into their full beauty"?
(a) Reta's home.
(b) Reta's writing.
(c) Reta's husband.
(d) Reta's daughters.
5. What does Reta discover behind the furnace that belonged to the previous owners?
(a) A child's report card.
(b) A love letter.
(c) An invitation to a baby shower.
(d) A confession of infidelity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reta think that novel writing is perhaps a pointless exercise?
2. What does Reta remember about Tom's childhood as they walk in the cemetery?
3. What has a dormitory appearance with meals served and an enforced curfew?
4. Why does Reta write a letter of complaint to an editor of a literary magazine about a series of books called "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World"?
5. Why does Reta attend a series of interviews in September?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)