|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Reta attend a series of interviews in September?
(a) Reta attends them because she enjoys being interviewed.
(b) Reta attends them on behalf of her mentor.
(c) Reta attends them in order to get a raise at work.
(d) Reta attends them because it is part of her research.
2. What does Reta reveal about the first time she met Tom?
(a) They disliked each other the first time they met.
(b) They were intimate the first time they met.
(c) He was seeing another woman when they met.
(d) She was seeing another man when they met.
3. Why does Reta also chide Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
(a) For failing to mention some of the century's great female writers.
(b) For his patronizing tone in discussing some of the great female writers of the century.
(c) For including male writers that are blatantly sexist.
(d) For attempting to discuss all literature instead of narrowing his focus.
4. What is the name of the university Norah is accepted to in 1998?
(a) McGill University.
(b) King's College.
(c) St. Mary's University.
(d) University of Victoria.
5. According to Reta's writer friends at the Orange Blossom Room, why are women excluded from real life?
(a) Because men view women as more capable and superior.
(b) Because men view women as lacking moral authority and capability.
(c) Because men view women as superior to everyday concerns.
(d) Because men view women as incapable of rational thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Reta, young adults live in an age of prolonged _________and protracted__________.
2. What is the name of Reta's friend, a medical journalist who lives in Newfoundland?
3. How old does Christine, Reta's daughter, turn in October?
4. Why does Reta include "The Hermitage" in her signature at the end of her letter of complaint about "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World"?
5. What sport have Christine and Natalie given up playing on Saturdays to spend the day with Norah?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)