|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Reta's struggle about what a writer of fiction should give the reader?
(a) How much her characters should be like her readers.
(b) How much background information should be given.
(c) How many metaphors and similes should be used.
(d) How many points of view should be given.
2. What do the Winters do when they discover where Norah sleeps at night?
(a) They try to rescue Norah.
(b) They drive aimlessly throughout the city.
(c) They tour the hostel.
(d) They go to church to pray.
3. Why does Reta write a check to the hostel each month?
(a) Because it is run for battered women.
(b) Because it is run for homeless women with children.
(c) Because it is where Norah sleeps every night.
(d) Because it is where Norah works during the day.
4. According to Ben, Norah had become uncharacteristically __________ and __________ in the few weeks prior to her disappearance.
(a) Calm; peaceful.
(b) Manic; jumpy.
(c) Depressed; lethargic.
(d) Irritable; short-tempered.
5. What American event are Tom and the girls presently fixated on as they watch the news?
(a) The presidential election.
(b) The Indy 500.
(c) The State of the Union address.
(d) The Kentucky Derby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Reta's friend, a medical journalist who lives in Newfoundland?
2. What two languages are spoken during Reta's childhood?
3. What is the name of the book Reta picks up at Orangetown Library?
4. What praise does Reta give Alexander Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
5. What has a dormitory appearance with meals served and an enforced curfew?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)