|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rationale does Reta offer about Norah's strange behavior in her letter to Valkner?
(a) It is Norah's attempt to be special and above everyone else.
(b) It is Norah's deliberate effort to extiguish herself and be a nothing.
(c) It is Norah's excuse not to finish school and get her degree.
(d) It is Norah's way of getting back at Reta for not being there for her.
2. Who is Reta's mentor?
(a) Madame Sylvia.
(b) Colin Glass.
(c) Tom Winters
(d) Danielle Westerman.
3. Who suddenly dies at Scribano & Lawrence?
(a) Mrs. Scribano.
(b) Mrs. Lawrence.
(c) Mr. Scribano.
(d) Mr. Lawrence.
4. What two actual events do Reta's writer friends also discuss at the Orange Blossom Room?
(a) The woman in Mozambique who gave birth in a tree; the self-immolation of a Muslim woman in Nathan Philips Square.
(b) The recent Canadian election; the war in Afghanistan.
(c) The self-immolation of a Muslim man in China; the poaching of ivory in North Africa.
(d) The military coup in Mozambique; the cost of child care in Toronto.
5. Why does Natalie thank Reta on Christine's birthday in October?
(a) For not naming her Ophelia.
(b) For being a great mom.
(c) For throwing a party for Christine.
(d) For taking them to dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two languages are spoken during Reta's childhood?
2. What word does Norah have written on the cardboard sign on her chest?
3. What is the signal Reta gives to Lois for her to come over for her nightly meal with the family?
4. What does Reta bring Norah on the way to her appointment to have her eyebrows tinted?
5. Why does Reta also chide Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)