|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the signal Reta gives to Lois for her to come over for her nightly meal with the family?
(a) Reta shuts the red kitchen curtains.
(b) Reta shuts the patio door.
(c) Reta opens the patio door.
(d) Reta opens the red kitchen curtains.
2. What two actual events do Reta's writer friends also discuss at the Orange Blossom Room?
(a) The self-immolation of a Muslim man in China; the poaching of ivory in North Africa.
(b) The woman in Mozambique who gave birth in a tree; the self-immolation of a Muslim woman in Nathan Philips Square.
(c) The recent Canadian election; the war in Afghanistan.
(d) The military coup in Mozambique; the cost of child care in Toronto.
3. What praise does Reta give Alexander Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
(a) Reta praises his broad approach.
(b) Reta praises his intellectual rigor.
(c) Reta praises his personal narrative style.
(d) Reta praises his research method.
4. What is the name of Reta's friend, a medical journalist who lives in Newfoundland?
(a) Emily Alister.
(b) Esther Alford.
(c) Edith Ackman.
(d) Emma Allen.
5. According to Reta, what is "full of rough corners that seem to me just about to come into their full beauty"?
(a) Reta's husband.
(b) Reta's writing.
(c) Reta's daughters.
(d) Reta's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reta reveal about the first time she met Tom?
2. According to Reta, what is there a sense of that runs throughout her main characters' story?
3. Why does Reta decide not to attend the funeral for the person at Scribano & Lawrence?
4. According to Reta's writer friends at the Orange Blossom Room, why are women excluded from real life?
5. Why does Reta also chide Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)