|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Reta approach Norah when she visits her in early November?
(a) Carefully, as Reta does not want to appear threatening.
(b) Angrily, as Reta is upset by Norah's behavior.
(c) Joyfully, as Reta is so happy to see Norah.
(d) Indifferently, as Reta no longer cares about Norah's panhandling.
2. How does Reta describe her sexual relationship with Tom?
(a) As familiar and a safe routine.
(b) As exciting and unpredictable.
(c) As dull and infrequent.
(d) As uncomfortable and unpleasant.
3. Why does Reta cry as she writes the check for the hostel each month?
(a) Reta cries out of grief.
(b) Reta cries out of heartfelt appreciation.
(c) Reta cries out of heartbreak.
(d) Reta cries out of pity.
4. What is the signal Reta gives to Lois for her to come over for her nightly meal with the family?
(a) Reta shuts the patio door.
(b) Reta opens the patio door.
(c) Reta opens the red kitchen curtains.
(d) Reta shuts the red kitchen curtains.
5. Why does Reta also chide Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
(a) For failing to mention some of the century's great female writers.
(b) For attempting to discuss all literature instead of narrowing his focus.
(c) For his patronizing tone in discussing some of the great female writers of the century.
(d) For including male writers that are blatantly sexist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two languages are spoken during Reta's childhood?
2. Who does Reta go see after her encounter with Norah in early November?
3. What are the two main characters' names in the sequel to Reta's first novel?
4. What is Reta's struggle about what a writer of fiction should give the reader?
5. How old does Christine, Reta's daughter, turn in October?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)