|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reta question about her feelings for Tom?
(a) Whether she trusts him.
(b) Whether she dislikes him.
(c) Whether she respects him.
(d) Whether she loves him.
2. How does Tessa discover the mystery of Norah's disappearance six months prior?
(a) Tessa's mother sees Norah walking down Bloor and Bathurst in Toronto.
(b) Tessa discovers Norah's diary in the Orangetown Library.
(c) Tessa runs into Norah outside the Toronto library.
(d) Tessa finds Norah panhandling outside the subway in Toronto.
3. Why does Reta write a letter of complaint to an editor of a literary magazine about a series of books called "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World"?
(a) Because most of the books feature 19th century women.
(b) Because the books only focus on Western intellectuals.
(c) Because none of the books feature women writers.
(d) Because her books are left out of the list.
4. What is Reta's struggle about what a writer of fiction should give the reader?
(a) How much her characters should be like her readers.
(b) How many metaphors and similes should be used.
(c) How many points of view should be given.
(d) How much background information should be given.
5. What two actual events do Reta's writer friends also discuss at the Orange Blossom Room?
(a) The recent Canadian election; the war in Afghanistan.
(b) The self-immolation of a Muslim man in China; the poaching of ivory in North Africa.
(c) The woman in Mozambique who gave birth in a tree; the self-immolation of a Muslim woman in Nathan Philips Square.
(d) The military coup in Mozambique; the cost of child care in Toronto.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport have Christine and Natalie given up playing on Saturdays to spend the day with Norah?
2. Why does Natalie thank Reta on Christine's birthday in October?
3. Who is Reta's mentor?
4. What two languages are spoken during Reta's childhood?
5. How does Reta describe her sexual relationship with Tom?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)