|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Natalie thank Reta on Christine's birthday in October?
(a) For taking them to dinner.
(b) For being a great mom.
(c) For throwing a party for Christine.
(d) For not naming her Ophelia.
2. How are Reta and Danielle different?
(a) Reta is married with children; Danielle is single and childless.
(b) Reta is Canadian; Danielle is American.
(c) Reta is a novelist; Danielle is a biographer.
(d) Reta is young and successful; Danielle is old and poor.
3. How does Tessa discover the mystery of Norah's disappearance six months prior?
(a) Tessa finds Norah panhandling outside the subway in Toronto.
(b) Tessa runs into Norah outside the Toronto library.
(c) Tessa discovers Norah's diary in the Orangetown Library.
(d) Tessa's mother sees Norah walking down Bloor and Bathurst in Toronto.
4. Why does Reta also chide Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
(a) For his patronizing tone in discussing some of the great female writers of the century.
(b) For including male writers that are blatantly sexist.
(c) For attempting to discuss all literature instead of narrowing his focus.
(d) For failing to mention some of the century's great female writers.
5. According to Reta's writer friends at the Orange Blossom Room, why are women excluded from real life?
(a) Because men view women as lacking moral authority and capability.
(b) Because men view women as incapable of rational thought.
(c) Because men view women as superior to everyday concerns.
(d) Because men view women as more capable and superior.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Norah enroll at the University of Toronto?
2. What two actual events do Reta's writer friends also discuss at the Orange Blossom Room?
3. According to Reta, what is "full of rough corners that seem to me just about to come into their full beauty"?
4. What does Tom's friend, Colin Glass, try to explain to Norah when he comes over for dinner?
5. Why does Reta write a letter of complaint to an editor of a literary magazine about a series of books called "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World"?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)