|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What present does Reta get for Norah's seventeenth birthday while on a book tour in D.C.?
(a) A purse.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A sweater.
2. Why does Reta include "The Hermitage" in her signature at the end of her letter of complaint about "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World"?
(a) Because Reta feels as a writer she needs to work away from people.
(b) Because Reta feels as a mother she should tend to her family.
(c) Because Reta feels as a woman she should focus on her home.
(d) Because Reta feels as a woman she is shut out of the universe.
3. What does Norah accidentally find in the pocket of Christine's winter parka?
(a) A failing report card.
(b) A letter from Norah.
(c) A bent cigarette.
(d) A love letter.
4. What praise does Reta give Alexander Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
(a) Reta praises his personal narrative style.
(b) Reta praises his intellectual rigor.
(c) Reta praises his research method.
(d) Reta praises his broad approach.
5. Why does Reta become angry at the male author being interviewed on the literary television show?
(a) Because he doesn't mention any female writers who have influenced him.
(b) Because he is more successful than she is.
(c) Because he lacks talent and imagination.
(d) Because he dismisses her writing to the host.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Reta mention by name in her letter of complaint about "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual World"?
2. What is Reta's struggle about what a writer of fiction should give the reader?
3. Why does Reta also chide Valkner about his article "The History of Dictionaries"?
4. Who does Reta meet for lunch after a radio interview in Baltimore?
5. Why does Natalie thank Reta on Christine's birthday in October?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)