|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 32.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Tom and the girls see as a contradiction about the American event they are fixated on?
(a) They see the election results in Florida as a contradiction to the checks and balances system in the constitution.
(b) They see the Kentucky Derby as a contradiction to government regulation of gambling.
(c) They see the presidential speech as a contradiction to the realities of the Iraq war.
(d) They see the Indy 500 as a contradiction to public concern for safety.
2. Why does Reta attend a series of interviews in September?
(a) Reta attends them in order to get a raise at work.
(b) Reta attends them because it is part of her research.
(c) Reta attends them because she enjoys being interviewed.
(d) Reta attends them on behalf of her mentor.
3. What does Reta remember about Tom's childhood as they walk in the cemetery?
(a) She remembers that his family lost their fortune.
(b) She remembers that his father was in the army.
(c) She remembers that his mother was a terrible housekeeper.
(d) She remembers that Tom ran away from home.
4. What two actual events do Reta's writer friends also discuss at the Orange Blossom Room?
(a) The military coup in Mozambique; the cost of child care in Toronto.
(b) The recent Canadian election; the war in Afghanistan.
(c) The self-immolation of a Muslim man in China; the poaching of ivory in North Africa.
(d) The woman in Mozambique who gave birth in a tree; the self-immolation of a Muslim woman in Nathan Philips Square.
5. Why does Natalie thank Reta on Christine's birthday in October?
(a) For throwing a party for Christine.
(b) For taking them to dinner.
(c) For not naming her Ophelia.
(d) For being a great mom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reta mention in her letter about the obituary that she wants from the universe?
2. What does Arthur consider the last chapter in Reta's novel to be?
3. Why does Arthur ask Reta to send him a draft?
4. According to Reta's writer friends at the Orange Blossom Room, why are women excluded from real life?
5. How old does Christine, Reta's daughter, turn in October?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)