|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry Bowman do with his father in 1959?
2. Where does Ray Johnson live?
3. What law does a federal judge strike down in freeing the person or people arrested in the first chapter?
4. After the war, where does Walter Bowman take what he made?
5. Where did the wreck which Max Collins survived take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Gutierrez family?
2. What do Ad Topperwine and John Browning have in common?
3. Who are Henry Bowman's friends as a teenager?
4. Who is Ray Johnson?
5. How does John Ross treat the United States government's violence against veterans and the Nazi government's persecution of Jews differently?
6. What does Ray Johnson do after finishing his graduate degree?
7. Who is Harold Gaines?
8. What had Ray Johnson just finished when we see him in 1959?
9. What is Ray Johnson looking forward to in 1959?
10. What is Henry Bowman's goal in life as a young person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess the value of the killing spree at the end of the book. Is it a real resolution to the book's plot? Is it realistic? What is the purpose of the killing spree?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the claim that Henry Bowman is not a patriot but a vigilante and renegade who stands not for civilization but for lawlessness.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the claim that Henry Bowman is an American hero. How does he rate compared to other American heroes? What traits are heroic? What traits are tragic or anti-heroic?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)