|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the wreck which Max Collins survived take place?
2. What is Ad Topperwine testing in the first chapter?
3. Henry Bowman's father tells Henry that he might have to protect ___________.
4. What comes into focus as the narrative moves closer to World War II?
5. Where is Ray Johnson graduating from in 1959?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry Bowman say about the assassination of President Kennedy?
2. Describe Henry Bowman's childhood.
3. What happens to Zofia in the first chapter "Seeds"?
4. What is the allegory of Nazi Germany for American readers?
5. What does Ray Johnson do after finishing his graduate degree?
6. What is Henry Bowman fascinated with when we meet him in 1959?
7. Who is Ray Johnson?
8. What is Walter Bowman's relationship with Max Collins?
9. What had Ray Johnson just finished when we see him in 1959?
10. Who is Harold Gaines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess the value of the killing spree at the end of the book. Is it a real resolution to the book's plot? Is it realistic? What is the purpose of the killing spree?
Essay Topic 2
Research gun crimes in America and the contribution of gun shows to crimes with illegal guns. Are gun shows the problem or the solution, or is the problem elsewhere?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)