|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theme runs through the first chapter?
2. When does Cameron Wilcox suffer personal disasters?
3. What is Henry Bowman's primary goal?
4. What does Henry Bowman learn a lot about?
5. What does Ray Johnson learn about Pedro Gutierrez?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry Bowman say about the assassination of President Kennedy?
2. What is Walter Bowman's relationship with Max Collins?
3. Who is Harold Gaines?
4. What is the allegory of Nazi Germany for American readers?
5. What is Henry Bowman's goal in life as a young person?
6. Who is Ray Johnson?
7. What do Ad Topperwine and John Browning have in common?
8. What happens to Zofia in the first chapter "Seeds"?
9. How does John Ross turn our focus to guns in World War II?
10. What happened to Rosa Gutierrez?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the proposition that as societies grow more complex, their members have to make more and more sacrifices of personal liberty for the sake of social peace.
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)