|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What big blow does Henry Bowman suffer as a teenager?
2. Where does Harold Gaines live?
3. How does Irwin Mann learn to use weapons?
4. What opposition do the court cases set up?
5. Cameron Wilcox returns from war with ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What law do Henry Bowman and his friends resent?
2. What is Walter Bowman's relationship with Max Collins?
3. Who are Henry Bowman's friends as a teenager?
4. Who is Ad Topperwine?
5. Who is Walter Bowman?
6. What does Henry Bowman say about the assassination of President Kennedy?
7. What happens to Irwin Mann in Poland?
8. What is Henry Bowman's goal in life as a young person?
9. What had Ray Johnson just finished when we see him in 1959?
10. What is Richard Gaines doing in 1959?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the claim that Henry Bowman is not a patriot but a vigilante and renegade who stands not for civilization but for lawlessness.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characterization of Henry Bowman and one of the minor characters. How are they similar? How are they different? How are the characters drawn differently? What kind of detail does Henry Bowman get? How detailed is his characterization?
Essay Topic 3
How realistic is this book? What parts are not believable? What leaps of faith does the author require of the reader? Are these leaps painful to make? What do these leaps allow the author to do?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)