|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Irwin Mann get the weapons he learns to use?
2. What opposition do the court cases set up?
3. How does Irwin Mann escape?
4. What is Zofia's family's relationship with the Nazis?
5. Who is Richard Gaines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What law do Henry Bowman and his friends resent?
2. Who is Cameron Wilcox?
3. How does John Ross turn our focus to guns in World War II?
4. Who is Walter Bowman?
5. What is Walter Bowman's relationship with Max Collins?
6. What happens to Zofia in the first chapter "Seeds"?
7. What is Henry Bowman's goal in life as a young person?
8. What is Ray Johnson looking forward to in 1959?
9. Who are Henry Bowman's friends as a teenager?
10. What had Ray Johnson just finished when we see him in 1959?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the proposition that as societies grow more complex, their members have to make more and more sacrifices of personal liberty for the sake of social peace.
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of 'Unintended Consequences'? Is it straight fiction? Social commentary? Polemic? Prophesy? Make an argument for one or two genres, based on examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)