|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What charges can the federal agents NOT arrest this person or these people on?
2. What are federal agents looking for in the first chapter?
3. What element in the story is taking place in the second chapter?
4. What law does a federal judge strike down in freeing the person or people arrested in the first chapter?
5. Where is Ray Johnson graduating from in 1959?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Richard Gaines doing in 1959?
2. What does Henry Bowman say about the assassination of President Kennedy?
3. What is Ray Johnson looking forward to in 1959?
4. Who is Ray Johnson?
5. Who is Harold Gaines?
6. What is Henry Bowman fascinated with when we meet him in 1959?
7. What does Ray Johnson do after finishing his graduate degree?
8. What is Walter Bowman's relationship with Max Collins?
9. What do Ad Topperwine and John Browning have in common?
10. Why was the Firearms Act struck down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the claim that Henry Bowman is not a patriot but a vigilante and renegade who stands not for civilization but for lawlessness.
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the claim that Henry Bowman is an American hero. How does he rate compared to other American heroes? What traits are heroic? What traits are tragic or anti-heroic?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characterization of Henry Bowman and one of the minor characters. How are they similar? How are they different? How are the characters drawn differently? What kind of detail does Henry Bowman get? How detailed is his characterization?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)