|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What element in the story is taking place in the second chapter?
2. What was the Supreme Court's ruling on the initial judge's ruling?
3. In what state does a citizen need to have two letters of recommendation in order to buy a gun?
4. What does Ray Johnson do after the Pedro Gutierrez case?
5. What does Ray Johnson do when he hears about what happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Richard Gaines doing in 1959?
2. Who is Ray Johnson?
3. What does Henry Bowman say about the assassination of President Kennedy?
4. Who is the Gutierrez family?
5. Who is Ad Topperwine?
6. What is Walter Bowman's relationship with Max Collins?
7. What happens to Zofia's family?
8. What does Ray Johnson do after finishing his graduate degree?
9. How does John Ross treat the United States government's violence against veterans and the Nazi government's persecution of Jews differently?
10. What happened to Rosa Gutierrez?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would this book be different if were told from the perspective of a black man, a woman, or someone else? How would Native Americans tell this story differently? How is the story limited by being told about a white man?
Essay Topic 2
How realistic is this book? What parts are not believable? What leaps of faith does the author require of the reader? Are these leaps painful to make? What do these leaps allow the author to do?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characterization of Henry Bowman and one of the minor characters. How are they similar? How are they different? How are the characters drawn differently? What kind of detail does Henry Bowman get? How detailed is his characterization?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)