|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cameron Wilcox returns from war with ______________.
2. What was the Supreme Court's ruling on the initial judge's ruling?
3. What element in the story is taking place in the second chapter?
4. Who is Catherine Bowman?
5. In what state does a citizen need to have two letters of recommendation in order to buy a gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the repeal of Prohibition affect the implementation of gun laws in the United States, according to the book?
2. What happens to Zofia's family?
3. What law do Henry Bowman and his friends resent?
4. Who is Harold Gaines?
5. What does Ray Johnson do after finishing his graduate degree?
6. What is Walter Bowman's relationship with Max Collins?
7. What is the allegory of Nazi Germany for American readers?
8. What is Ray Johnson looking forward to in 1959?
9. Who is Max Collins?
10. Describe Henry Bowman's childhood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of 'Unintended Consequences'? Is it straight fiction? Social commentary? Polemic? Prophesy? Make an argument for one or two genres, based on examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the use of sex in 'Unintended Consequences.' How does it contribute to the book? How does Henry Bowman's attack and rape make the reader feel? How does it affect the reader's sympathies?
Essay Topic 3
Assess the value of the killing spree at the end of the book. Is it a real resolution to the book's plot? Is it realistic? What is the purpose of the killing spree?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)