|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Irwin Mann learn to use weapons?
(a) He learned as a child.
(b) He learns from a Nazi officer.
(c) He learns in the Army.
(d) He teaches himself.
2. Where does Ray Johnson live?
(a) A wheat farm.
(b) A horse ranch.
(c) A cotton plantation.
(d) A tenement.
3. What big blow does Henry Bowman suffer as a teenager?
(a) A hunting accident.
(b) A car wreck.
(c) His father dying of cancer.
(d) His parents divorce.
4. After the war, where does Walter Bowman take what he made?
(a) To Texas.
(b) To San Francisco.
(c) To New York.
(d) To St. Louis.
5. What comes into focus as the narrative moves closer to World War II?
(a) Government overreach.
(b) Persecution of Native Americans.
(c) Persecution of Jews.
(d) Harassment of Southern blacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does a citizen need to have two letters of recommendation in order to buy a gun?
2. Henry Bowman travels around to ______________.
3. What law was repealed during the first chapter "Seeds"?
4. What is Henry Bowman's primary goal?
5. What does Ray Johnson do for Pedro Gutierrez?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ray Johnson do after finishing his graduate degree?
2. What is the allegory of Nazi Germany for American readers?
3. What law do Henry Bowman and his friends resent?
4. Who is Harold Gaines?
5. Who is Walter Bowman?
6. What happens to Zofia's family?
7. What happens to Irwin Mann in Poland?
8. What is Henry Bowman's goal in life as a young person?
9. Describe Henry Bowman's childhood.
10. Who is the Gutierrez family?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)