|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Kerry distort shooting himself in the buttocks in order to receive his third purple heart?
2. What was the result of Kerry's congressional run after the Dick Cavett Show?
3. What was the reason for Kerry's application for a draft deferment?
4. Why did Kerry most likely agree to debate O'Neill on the Dick Cavett Show?
5. Why does O'Neill think that Americans are uninformed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the assignment of the Swift Boats change, what was Kerry's response, and why did the other officers consider him to be a problem?
2. What does Captain Plumly report about Kerry's service, and how does that correspond to the reports of his trips to Saigon?
3. What is an example of the report that Kerry lacked the nerves for combat and often would overreact to situations?
4. How did the debate between O'Neill and Kerry begin, and what was the outcome?
5. What did O'Neill first do to challenge Kerry on his testimony, and how did Kerry respond?
6. How did O'Neill finally have the chance to debate Kerry in 1971?
7. How was Kerry awarded the Silver Star?
8. What was the content of Kerry's testimony before the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, and why did it anger O'Neill so much?
9. How did one of Kerry's suggestions affect the Swiftees when they were ordered to employ Psychological Operations against the enemy?
10. How did Kerry initially try to avoid serving in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O'Neill's opposition to Kerry's actions began over 30 years before Unfit for Command was written.
1) Describe the circumstances for the basis of O'Neill's objections.
2) What were the circumstances surrounding the debate between O'Neill and Kerry, why did it take so long to schedule the event, and how was the venue chosen?
3) What was the end result of the debate? Why did the crowd react the way they did? What important suggestion does O'Neill make to the readers about the debate, and why? What does Kerry's lack of evidence in the debate illustrate with regards to the claims he has made against the military?
Essay Topic 2
What events caused Kerry to be awarded the Silver Star? What was the purpose for Kerry's assignment? How did he and his fellow officers carry out their orders? What was the end result and why did the officers think it was comical? How did Kerry use the situation to get the medal? In what ways does the Silver Star award continue the pattern of behavior that Kerry followed during his tour?
Essay Topic 3
After reading Unfit for Command, did the authors achieve their objective? Why or why not? Describe 3 examples of the strongest and most convincing parts of their presentation. Is this a book that every voter should have read before the 2004 election? Overall, did O'Neill and Corsi prove beyond a reasonable doubt that their positions were accurate and worth bringing to the attention of the American people? How?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)