|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kerry's gunner, Stephen Gardner, describe the sampan incident?
2. What does Kerry claim his nickname was in Vietnam?
3. According to several Swift Boat officers, how did Kerry respond when the Swiftees were ordered into combat?
4. How did the audience appear when Kerry first appeared on camera during the Dick Cavett Show?
5. What was Kerry referencing during his tour of duty in Vietnam, with regards to Purple Hearts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of O'Neill's suggestion that the readers of the book view the video of the debate between him and Kerry?
2. How was Kerry awarded the third Purple Heart, and why was it significant?
3. How did one of Kerry's suggestions affect the Swiftees when they were ordered to employ Psychological Operations against the enemy?
4. What did O'Neill first do to challenge Kerry on his testimony, and how did Kerry respond?
5. How did Kerry initially try to avoid serving in the war?
6. What was the content of Kerry's testimony before the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, and why did it anger O'Neill so much?
7. What happened in the infamous sampan incident, where a mother and her child were found, and how did Kerry respond?
8. What were the events surrounding the first Purple Heart medal that Kerry received, and why do the authors question its validity?
9. What does Captain Plumly report about Kerry's service, and how does that correspond to the reports of his trips to Saigon?
10. What was the length of a normal tour of duty, how did Kerry's time in the war compare to it, and how did the other officers regard his actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was the FBI investigating Kerry? What was the main reason for their interest in him and his associations? How do the authors provide compelling evidence to show Kerry's ties with communism? Describe 3 examples of how the FBI supports those ties.
Essay Topic 2
What was the exchange between Kerry and Ted Peck, and why did the authors think it was necessary to include it at the end of Part 1? How does Peck represent the general sentiment expressed by the soldiers at the time? How does Kerry represent the anti-war protesters? Why is the distinction between the two relevant to the main message in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What was the open letter from the Swift Boat Veterans to John Kerry? Why was it announced, and what was its purpose? How did Kerry respond to the letter? Why was it significant that the letter was issued in 2004 and by Rear Admiral Hoffman? What is the importance of the number of signatures on the letter and who participated or endorsed it?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)