|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Kerry use his Vietnam experience in his political campaigns?
2. What does Kerry claim his nickname was in Vietnam?
3. What did Kerry fail to do during his debate with O'Neill on the Dick Cavett Show?
4. How did Kerry distort shooting himself in the buttocks in order to receive his third purple heart?
5. How did Kerry shoot the wounded teenage Vietcong during the 1969 incident that he dubiously received a silver star for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kerry initially try to avoid serving in the war?
2. What did O'Neill first do to challenge Kerry on his testimony, and how did Kerry respond?
3. What happened in the infamous sampan incident, where a mother and her child were found, and how did Kerry respond?
4. How was Kerry awarded the Silver Star?
5. How was Kerry awarded the third Purple Heart, and why was it significant?
6. What was the content of Kerry's testimony before the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, and why did it anger O'Neill so much?
7. What was the length of a normal tour of duty, how did Kerry's time in the war compare to it, and how did the other officers regard his actions?
8. How did one of Kerry's suggestions affect the Swiftees when they were ordered to employ Psychological Operations against the enemy?
9. What were Kerry's reasons for choosing the Swift Boats to serve on?
10. What were the circumstances around the award of Kerry's second Purple Heart, and how does it parallel the first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Kerry thought of by the other officers he served with in general? Describe specific situations and examples that illustrate and support their opinions of Kerry. What is so important about the way quotes are used throughout the book and who they are from? How does that help the authors show the reason for their objective?
Essay Topic 2
What were the events leading up to Kerry's service in Vietnam? Explain how he attempted to avoid active duty and why he chose to be stationed with the Swift Boats. How did the Swift Boats' mission change and what was Kerry's response? Why is this significant for the authors' case against Kerry becoming the Commander in Chief? Use the information and quotes from Part 1 to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
What are the questions the authors ask at the end of the Introduction? Why are the answers to them critical to the effectiveness of the authors' main points? What do the authors hope to accomplish with the rest of the book? How have they proven their sincerity in the Introduction, and how does that make them more credible?
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)