|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What years was Hoffman involved with the Swift Boats?
2. Who received a polite applause at the Swift Boat Veterans Reunion, according to O'Neill?
3. What did Kerry misrepresent, according to the open letter by the Swift Boat Veterans?
4. What were the people included in the "War Heroes" exhibit recognized for?
5. What do the Swift Boat Veterans think of Kerry's attitude during the war, according to O'Neill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of Kerry at the Swift Boats Veterans Reunion in 2003 and why is it significant?
2. Why were the Swiftees not surprised by Kerry's actions before the Swift Boat Veterans Reunion?
3. How many people did not sign the Swift Boat Veterans' open letter to Kerry, how important is it, and what are some of the possible reasons they did not participate?
4. Who is Bill Lupetti and what did he observe on his return trip to Vietnam?
5. How is Lupetti's observation in Vietnam relevant to Kerry and the ideas about him that the book outlines?
6. How many signatures are on the open letter to Kerry by the Swift Boat veterans, and why is that important for the book's main point?
7. What does the quote from John Edwards say and why is it so effective?
8. Why do the authors make it a point to mention that their purpose for writing the book is not political?
9. What is the general purpose of an Introduction, and how do O'Neill and Corsi use it to establish their intentions in Unfit for Command?
10. Who is Roy F. Hoffman and why is his opinion regarded so highly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What events caused Kerry to be awarded the Silver Star? What was the purpose for Kerry's assignment? How did he and his fellow officers carry out their orders? What was the end result and why did the officers think it was comical? How did Kerry use the situation to get the medal? In what ways does the Silver Star award continue the pattern of behavior that Kerry followed during his tour?
Essay Topic 2
What was the exchange between Kerry and Ted Peck, and why did the authors think it was necessary to include it at the end of Part 1? How does Peck represent the general sentiment expressed by the soldiers at the time? How does Kerry represent the anti-war protesters? Why is the distinction between the two relevant to the main message in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The Vietnam Veterans Against the War was a big part of Kerry's anti-war agenda and the start of his political ambitions.
1) How did the VVAW begin and why was Kerry chosen to be the leader?
2) Who were the primary members of the VVAW and why did their identities prevent their claims from being taken seriously?
3) Describe 3 events involving the VVAW that illustrate their motives and unethical actions.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)