|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the charges Kerry leveled against the army during his testimony?
(a) Rape and baby killing.
(b) Corruption and betrayal.
(c) Unwarranted attempts to win the war and a belief in freedom.
(d) Reckless violence and lack of sympathy for the enemy.
2. In his first tour of duty, how did Kerry spend most of his time, according to the authors?
(a) In an office back at the military station.
(b) Close to the coast of Vietnam.
(c) Right on the coast of Vietnam.
(d) Far off the coast of Vietnam.
3. How did Kerry use his Vietnam experience in his political campaigns?
(a) To support his claim for a larger military.
(b) He used it to deal with several losses.
(c) To demean and embarrass opponents from both political parties.
(d) He refused to talk about his service during his campaigns.
4. After his deferment request was denied, how did Kerry enlist in the Navy Reserve?
(a) As an active volunteer.
(b) As an inactive volunteer.
(c) As a frontline soldier.
(d) As a backup soldier.
5. What was Kerry referencing during his tour of duty in Vietnam, with regards to Purple Hearts?
(a) An obscure regulation that released soldiers with 3 Purple Hearts.
(b) A well known regulation that released soldiers with 3 Purple Hearts.
(c) An obscure book detailing the benefits of Purple Hearts in political careers.
(d) A well known book detailing the benefits of Purple Hearts in political careers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Kerry testify in front of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations?
2. What was the reason for Kerry's application for a draft deferment?
3. What does Kerry admit to about his decision to be part of the Swift Boats during Vietnam, in The Vietnam Experience: A War Remembered?
4. What does O'Neill encourage the readers to do in order to substantiate his account of the Dick Cavett Show?
5. What was the normal length of one tour of duty in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the events surrounding the first Purple Heart medal that Kerry received, and why do the authors question its validity?
2. What did O'Neill first do to challenge Kerry on his testimony, and how did Kerry respond?
3. How did Kerry initially try to avoid serving in the war?
4. What was the conversation between Kerry and the Captain of an LST en route to An Thoi, and why do the authors dispute it?
5. What were the circumstances around the award of Kerry's second Purple Heart, and how does it parallel the first?
6. What happened in the infamous sampan incident, where a mother and her child were found, and how did Kerry respond?
7. What question did Lt. Ted Peck ask of Kerry shortly after he returned home, and why is Kerry's response revealing?
8. What does Captain Plumly report about Kerry's service, and how does that correspond to the reports of his trips to Saigon?
9. How did O'Neill finally have the chance to debate Kerry in 1971?
10. How did one of Kerry's suggestions affect the Swiftees when they were ordered to employ Psychological Operations against the enemy?
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)