|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often did the charges Kerry reported supposedly occur?
(b) He lost count.
(c) Once or twice a month.
(d) Once a week.
2. As a result of his poor performance, how did the audience react to Kerry at the end of the Dick Cavett Show?
(a) They booed him.
(b) They still cheered him.
(c) They threw things at him.
(d) They became silent.
3. What were the charges Kerry leveled against the army during his testimony?
(a) Rape and baby killing.
(b) Reckless violence and lack of sympathy for the enemy.
(c) Corruption and betrayal.
(d) Unwarranted attempts to win the war and a belief in freedom.
4. What were Kerry's goals back in Vietnam, according to Commander Grant Hibbard?
(a) To be President.
(b) To be Vice President.
(c) To be a senator.
(d) To be a governor.
5. Why did Kerry's commanders pass him from one boat to another during his tour in Vietnam?
(a) He kept reporting to the wrong boats.
(b) He was in high demand.
(c) His peers requested not to work with him.
(d) He seemed to like being reassigned a lot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words are not used to describe Kerry by the authors during his time in Vietnam?
2. What does VVAW stand for?
3. How does Kerry's gunner, Stephen Gardner, describe the sampan incident?
4. What does Kerry claim about his request to enter the military that is not supported by any military records?
5. What did the author of Kerry's Boston Globe biography write about Kerry's reason for joining the Swift Boats?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Captain Plumly report about Kerry's service, and how does that correspond to the reports of his trips to Saigon?
2. What were Kerry's reasons for choosing the Swift Boats to serve on?
3. How did O'Neill finally have the chance to debate Kerry in 1971?
4. What is the significance of O'Neill's suggestion that the readers of the book view the video of the debate between him and Kerry?
5. How did the assignment of the Swift Boats change, what was Kerry's response, and why did the other officers consider him to be a problem?
6. What did O'Neill first do to challenge Kerry on his testimony, and how did Kerry respond?
7. What question did Lt. Ted Peck ask of Kerry shortly after he returned home, and why is Kerry's response revealing?
8. Why is it important to understand when the problems between O'Neill and Kerry began?
9. What happened in the infamous sampan incident, where a mother and her child were found, and how did Kerry respond?
10. What was the content of Kerry's testimony before the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, and why did it anger O'Neill so much?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)