|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of the few months Kerry spent in Vietnam, how many of them were for training purposes?
2. Why did Kerry's commanders pass him from one boat to another during his tour in Vietnam?
(a) His peers requested not to work with him.
(b) He seemed to like being reassigned a lot.
(c) He was in high demand.
(d) He kept reporting to the wrong boats.
3. What did the author of Kerry's Boston Globe biography write about Kerry's reason for joining the Swift Boats?
(a) He thought it would keep him away from conflict.
(b) He thought it would be a great experience.
(c) He really liked boats.
(d) He had no idea what he was getting into.
4. What was the normal length of one tour of duty in Vietnam?
(a) One year.
(b) Two and a half years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
5. What was unusual about Kerry's purple heart request that contradicted the normal procedure for how they are awarded?
(a) He recommended himself and his injury was self-inflicted.
(b) He was recommended by a witness that remained anonymous.
(c) He recommended himself for it before getting treated for the injury.
(d) His injury was not substantiated by any doctors.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Committee reply to O'Neill's request?
2. According to several Swift Boat officers, how did Kerry respond when the Swiftees were ordered into combat?
3. As a result of his poor performance, how did the audience react to Kerry at the end of the Dick Cavett Show?
4. After the villagers fled the Song Bo Do river village in 1969, what did Kerry order his crew to destroy while he lit fires with a Zippo?
5. What does Kerry claim about his request to enter the military that is not supported by any military records?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did O'Neill first do to challenge Kerry on his testimony, and how did Kerry respond?
2. What was the length of a normal tour of duty, how did Kerry's time in the war compare to it, and how did the other officers regard his actions?
3. How was Kerry awarded the Silver Star?
4. What was the conversation between Kerry and the Captain of an LST en route to An Thoi, and why do the authors dispute it?
5. What were Kerry's reasons for choosing the Swift Boats to serve on?
6. What were the circumstances around the award of Kerry's second Purple Heart, and how does it parallel the first?
7. What happened in the infamous sampan incident, where a mother and her child were found, and how did Kerry respond?
8. How did O'Neill finally have the chance to debate Kerry in 1971?
9. What was the content of Kerry's testimony before the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, and why did it anger O'Neill so much?
10. What is an example of the report that Kerry lacked the nerves for combat and often would overreact to situations?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)