|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following words are not used to describe Kerry by the authors during his time in Vietnam?
2. What was Cavett's reputation as a commentator?
(a) Fair and objective.
(b) Unfair and biased.
3. What was unusual about Kerry's purple heart request that contradicted the normal procedure for how they are awarded?
(a) He recommended himself and his injury was self-inflicted.
(b) His injury was not substantiated by any doctors.
(c) He was recommended by a witness that remained anonymous.
(d) He recommended himself for it before getting treated for the injury.
4. What was the normal length of one tour of duty in Vietnam?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two and a half years.
(d) Two years.
5. What was the reason for Kerry's application for a draft deferment?
(a) He wanted to study in Russia.
(b) He wanted to study in Spain.
(c) He wanted to study in Germany.
(d) He wanted to study in Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does O'Neill encourage the readers to do in order to substantiate his account of the Dick Cavett Show?
2. How was Kerry's first wound treated?
3. Out of the few months Kerry spent in Vietnam, how many of them were for training purposes?
4. What does O'Neill call Kerry during his time in Vietnam?
5. For how long were both O'Neill and Kerry both relatively quiet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Kerry awarded the Silver Star?
2. What happened in the infamous sampan incident, where a mother and her child were found, and how did Kerry respond?
3. What were the events surrounding the first Purple Heart medal that Kerry received, and why do the authors question its validity?
4. How did the assignment of the Swift Boats change, what was Kerry's response, and why did the other officers consider him to be a problem?
5. Why is it important to understand when the problems between O'Neill and Kerry began?
6. What does Captain Plumly report about Kerry's service, and how does that correspond to the reports of his trips to Saigon?
7. How did O'Neill finally have the chance to debate Kerry in 1971?
8. What is the significance of O'Neill's suggestion that the readers of the book view the video of the debate between him and Kerry?
9. How did Kerry initially try to avoid serving in the war?
10. How did one of Kerry's suggestions affect the Swiftees when they were ordered to employ Psychological Operations against the enemy?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)