|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Kerry eventually given offshore assignments by commanders at Cat Lo?
(a) He whined so much about the other officers' dislike for him.
(b) He whined so much about the dangers of potential combat.
(c) He whined so much about every order he was given onshore.
(d) He whined so much about the weather onshore.
2. According to his own accounts, how did Kerry respond to orders instructing him to leave a French resort and report to a more dangerous river patrol?
(a) He was confused by them because he enjoyed the peacefulness of the resort.
(b) He vehemently resisted.
(c) He accepted them with certain conditions.
(d) He refused to follow them.
3. Based on Kerry's report, what kind of knowledge did the U.S. Army have of these "atrocities"?
(a) Full knowledge at all levels of command.
(b) Partial knowledge at almost all levels of command.
(c) Partial knowledge at all levels of command.
(d) Full knowledge at almost all levels of command.
4. What person did Kerry compare himself to during his tour?
(a) Walter Mondale.
(b) Jimmy Carter.
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
5. In his first tour of duty, how did Kerry spend most of his time, according to the authors?
(a) Far off the coast of Vietnam.
(b) In an office back at the military station.
(c) Right on the coast of Vietnam.
(d) Close to the coast of Vietnam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the purpose of Kerry's unauthorized trips to Saigon?
2. For how long were both O'Neill and Kerry both relatively quiet?
3. What was the primary role of skimmers?
4. What does Kerry claim his nickname was in Vietnam?
5. How did Kerry use his Vietnam experience in his political campaigns?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did one of Kerry's suggestions affect the Swiftees when they were ordered to employ Psychological Operations against the enemy?
2. What did O'Neill first do to challenge Kerry on his testimony, and how did Kerry respond?
3. What were Kerry's reasons for choosing the Swift Boats to serve on?
4. How did the assignment of the Swift Boats change, what was Kerry's response, and why did the other officers consider him to be a problem?
5. What does Captain Plumly report about Kerry's service, and how does that correspond to the reports of his trips to Saigon?
6. What were the events surrounding the first Purple Heart medal that Kerry received, and why do the authors question its validity?
7. How was Kerry awarded the Silver Star?
8. How did Kerry initially try to avoid serving in the war?
9. What was the length of a normal tour of duty, how did Kerry's time in the war compare to it, and how did the other officers regard his actions?
10. Why is it important to understand when the problems between O'Neill and Kerry began?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)