|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Cavett's reputation as a commentator?
(c) Unfair and biased.
(d) Fair and objective.
2. What was the reason for Kerry's application for a draft deferment?
(a) He wanted to study in Paris.
(b) He wanted to study in Russia.
(c) He wanted to study in Germany.
(d) He wanted to study in Spain.
3. What was Kerry referencing during his tour of duty in Vietnam, with regards to Purple Hearts?
(a) An obscure regulation that released soldiers with 3 Purple Hearts.
(b) A well known book detailing the benefits of Purple Hearts in political careers.
(c) An obscure book detailing the benefits of Purple Hearts in political careers.
(d) A well known regulation that released soldiers with 3 Purple Hearts.
4. What was the primary role of skimmers?
(a) To take the soldiers away from the battles.
(b) To watch for civilian curfew violators and issue tickets.
(c) To engage in key battles.
(d) To watch the waters for the enemy.
5. What were Cavett's public views on the war at that time?
(a) He did not make any public stance on the war.
(b) He was for it, unlike Kerry.
(c) He didn't like it, but he understood the need for it.
(d) He was against it, just like Kerry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Kerry shoot the wounded teenage Vietcong during the 1969 incident that he dubiously received a silver star for?
2. Who was in a sampan that Kerry ordered to be fired upon, according to his biography in the Boston Globe?
3. What were Kerry's goals back in Vietnam, according to Commander Grant Hibbard?
4. How often did the charges Kerry reported supposedly occur?
5. How does Kerry's gunner, Stephen Gardner, describe the sampan incident?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kerry initially try to avoid serving in the war?
2. How did O'Neill finally have the chance to debate Kerry in 1971?
3. What was the content of Kerry's testimony before the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, and why did it anger O'Neill so much?
4. What is the significance of O'Neill's suggestion that the readers of the book view the video of the debate between him and Kerry?
5. How was Kerry awarded the third Purple Heart, and why was it significant?
6. What were Kerry's reasons for choosing the Swift Boats to serve on?
7. How was Kerry awarded the Silver Star?
8. What was the length of a normal tour of duty, how did Kerry's time in the war compare to it, and how did the other officers regard his actions?
9. What is an example of the report that Kerry lacked the nerves for combat and often would overreact to situations?
10. How did one of Kerry's suggestions affect the Swiftees when they were ordered to employ Psychological Operations against the enemy?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)