|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Kerry shoot the wounded teenage Vietcong during the 1969 incident that he dubiously received a silver star for?
(a) In the other leg.
(b) In the back while he was on the ground.
(c) In the arm.
(d) In the back as he was running away.
2. As a result of his poor performance, how did the audience react to Kerry at the end of the Dick Cavett Show?
(a) They booed him.
(b) They threw things at him.
(c) They still cheered him.
(d) They became silent.
3. What person did Kerry compare himself to during his tour?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) Walter Mondale.
(c) Jimmy Carter.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
4. How was Kerry's first wound treated?
(a) With a band-aid.
(b) With stitches.
(c) It did not need to be treated.
(d) With a bandage.
5. How was Kerry perceived among the other Swiftees during his time in Vietnam?
(a) A perpetual whiner.
(b) A perpetual loser.
(c) A greedy politician.
(d) A willing soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does William Franke, who served with Kerry, describe his attitude about serving?
2. What does Kerry claim about his request to enter the military that is not supported by any military records?
3. Why does O'Neill think Kerry agreed to serve in Vietnam?
4. According to several Swift Boat officers, how did Kerry respond when the Swiftees were ordered into combat?
5. What is the second sub-section of Part 1 of the book titled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question did Lt. Ted Peck ask of Kerry shortly after he returned home, and why is Kerry's response revealing?
2. What does Captain Plumly report about Kerry's service, and how does that correspond to the reports of his trips to Saigon?
3. What were the events surrounding the first Purple Heart medal that Kerry received, and why do the authors question its validity?
4. What is the significance of O'Neill's suggestion that the readers of the book view the video of the debate between him and Kerry?
5. What did O'Neill first do to challenge Kerry on his testimony, and how did Kerry respond?
6. How was Kerry awarded the third Purple Heart, and why was it significant?
7. How did one of Kerry's suggestions affect the Swiftees when they were ordered to employ Psychological Operations against the enemy?
8. What is an example of the report that Kerry lacked the nerves for combat and often would overreact to situations?
9. How did Kerry initially try to avoid serving in the war?
10. What were Kerry's reasons for choosing the Swift Boats to serve on?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)