|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kerry admit to about his decision to be part of the Swift Boats during Vietnam, in The Vietnam Experience: A War Remembered?
(a) That he assumed he would be doing patrolling and did not want to get involved with the war.
(b) That he had no intention of doing any patrolling.
(c) That he was looking forward to seeing the frontlines up close.
(d) That he misunderstood his assignment.
2. How was Kerry perceived among the other Swiftees during his time in Vietnam?
(a) A greedy politician.
(b) A perpetual loser.
(c) A perpetual whiner.
(d) A willing soldier.
3. How did Kerry distort shooting himself in the buttocks in order to receive his third purple heart?
(a) He claimed it was an accident caused by the intense pressures of an enemy battle.
(b) He claimed he was shot by the enemy.
(c) He claimed it was friendly fire.
(d) He claimed he was captured by the enemy and forced to sit on a mine.
4. What did the author of Kerry's Boston Globe biography write about Kerry's reason for joining the Swift Boats?
(a) He thought it would be a great experience.
(b) He really liked boats.
(c) He thought it would keep him away from conflict.
(d) He had no idea what he was getting into.
5. What television show did Kerry refuse to debate O'Neill on?
(a) 60 Minutes.
(c) The Today Show.
(d) Meet the Press.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the reason for Kerry's application for a draft deferment?
2. Who was in a sampan that Kerry ordered to be fired upon, according to his biography in the Boston Globe?
3. As a result of his poor performance, how did the audience react to Kerry at the end of the Dick Cavett Show?
4. What was Kerry referencing during his tour of duty in Vietnam, with regards to Purple Hearts?
5. What was the result of Kerry's congressional run after the Dick Cavett Show?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Kerry awarded the Silver Star?
2. What did O'Neill first do to challenge Kerry on his testimony, and how did Kerry respond?
3. What was the content of Kerry's testimony before the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, and why did it anger O'Neill so much?
4. How was Kerry awarded the third Purple Heart, and why was it significant?
5. What was the length of a normal tour of duty, how did Kerry's time in the war compare to it, and how did the other officers regard his actions?
6. What question did Lt. Ted Peck ask of Kerry shortly after he returned home, and why is Kerry's response revealing?
7. How did the debate between O'Neill and Kerry begin, and what was the outcome?
8. What were the events surrounding the first Purple Heart medal that Kerry received, and why do the authors question its validity?
9. What is the significance of O'Neill's suggestion that the readers of the book view the video of the debate between him and Kerry?
10. What were the circumstances around the award of Kerry's second Purple Heart, and how does it parallel the first?
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)