|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kerry claim about his request to enter the military that is not supported by any military records?
(a) That he volunteered for an unlimited amount of tours.
(b) That he volunteered for 2 tours of duty.
(c) That he volunteered for 3 tours of duty.
(d) That he volunteered for 4 tours of duty.
2. Based on Kerry's report, what kind of knowledge did the U.S. Army have of these "atrocities"?
(a) Partial knowledge at all levels of command.
(b) Full knowledge at almost all levels of command.
(c) Full knowledge at all levels of command.
(d) Partial knowledge at almost all levels of command.
3. What was the primary role of skimmers?
(a) To take the soldiers away from the battles.
(b) To engage in key battles.
(c) To watch the waters for the enemy.
(d) To watch for civilian curfew violators and issue tickets.
4. What was Cavett's reputation as a commentator?
(a) Fair and objective.
(d) Unfair and biased.
5. Why does O'Neill think Kerry agreed to serve in Vietnam?
(a) To build his military credentials for personal reasons.
(b) Because he was forced to.
(c) Because he supported the war effort there.
(d) To build his military credentials for political reasons.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Kerry shoot the wounded teenage Vietcong during the 1969 incident that he dubiously received a silver star for?
2. How did Kerry use his Vietnam experience in his political campaigns?
3. According to his own accounts, how did Kerry respond to orders instructing him to leave a French resort and report to a more dangerous river patrol?
4. What kept Kerry's unacceptable behavior from his superiors?
5. What was Kerry referencing during his tour of duty in Vietnam, with regards to Purple Hearts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances around the award of Kerry's second Purple Heart, and how does it parallel the first?
2. How did Kerry initially try to avoid serving in the war?
3. How did O'Neill finally have the chance to debate Kerry in 1971?
4. What was the conversation between Kerry and the Captain of an LST en route to An Thoi, and why do the authors dispute it?
5. What question did Lt. Ted Peck ask of Kerry shortly after he returned home, and why is Kerry's response revealing?
6. What was the length of a normal tour of duty, how did Kerry's time in the war compare to it, and how did the other officers regard his actions?
7. How did one of Kerry's suggestions affect the Swiftees when they were ordered to employ Psychological Operations against the enemy?
8. How was Kerry awarded the Silver Star?
9. What was the content of Kerry's testimony before the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, and why did it anger O'Neill so much?
10. What did O'Neill first do to challenge Kerry on his testimony, and how did Kerry respond?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)