|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his deferment request was denied, how did Kerry enlist in the Navy Reserve?
(a) As an inactive volunteer.
(b) As an active volunteer.
(c) As a backup soldier.
(d) As a frontline soldier.
2. What was the normal length of one tour of duty in Vietnam?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two and a half years.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
3. How was Kerry's first wound treated?
(a) With stitches.
(b) It did not need to be treated.
(c) With a band-aid.
(d) With a bandage.
4. As a result of his poor performance, how did the audience react to Kerry at the end of the Dick Cavett Show?
(a) They still cheered him.
(b) They became silent.
(c) They threw things at him.
(d) They booed him.
5. What did the author of Kerry's Boston Globe biography write about Kerry's reason for joining the Swift Boats?
(a) He really liked boats.
(b) He had no idea what he was getting into.
(c) He thought it would keep him away from conflict.
(d) He thought it would be a great experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kerry's gunner, Stephen Gardner, describe the sampan incident?
2. What does Kerry admit to about his decision to be part of the Swift Boats during Vietnam, in The Vietnam Experience: A War Remembered?
3. What does Kerry claim his nickname was in Vietnam?
4. What does O'Neill encourage the readers to do in order to substantiate his account of the Dick Cavett Show?
5. What were Cavett's public views on the war at that time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an example of the report that Kerry lacked the nerves for combat and often would overreact to situations?
2. What happened in the infamous sampan incident, where a mother and her child were found, and how did Kerry respond?
3. What were the circumstances around the award of Kerry's second Purple Heart, and how does it parallel the first?
4. What was the content of Kerry's testimony before the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, and why did it anger O'Neill so much?
5. How did Kerry initially try to avoid serving in the war?
6. How was Kerry awarded the Silver Star?
7. What were the events surrounding the first Purple Heart medal that Kerry received, and why do the authors question its validity?
8. What is the significance of O'Neill's suggestion that the readers of the book view the video of the debate between him and Kerry?
9. How did the debate between O'Neill and Kerry begin, and what was the outcome?
10. How did the assignment of the Swift Boats change, what was Kerry's response, and why did the other officers consider him to be a problem?
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)