|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kerry's gunner, Stephen Gardner, describe the sampan incident?
(a) Senseless butchery.
(b) Simply butchery.
(c) Simply murder.
(d) Senseless murder.
2. What person did Kerry compare himself to during his tour?
(a) Jimmy Carter.
(b) Alexander Hamilton.
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) Walter Mondale.
3. What was the result of Kerry's congressional run after the Dick Cavett Show?
(a) He won.
(b) He failed.
(c) It was declared a draw.
(d) He withdrew from the race.
4. Who did Kerry compare the U.S. Army to in his testimony?
(a) Chairman Mao.
(c) Adolf Hitler.
(d) Genghis Khan.
5. What is the second sub-section of Part 1 of the book titled?
(a) The Purple Heart Exaggerator.
(b) The Purple Heart Hunter.
(c) The Purple Heart Thief.
(d) The Purple Heart Braggart.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Kerry injure himself during his time with the skimmer?
2. What was the normal length of one tour of duty in Vietnam?
3. Which of the following words are not used to describe Kerry by the authors during his time in Vietnam?
4. What was unusual about Kerry's purple heart request that contradicted the normal procedure for how they are awarded?
5. What did O'Neill request from the Committee after hearing Kerry's testimony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kerry initially try to avoid serving in the war?
2. What was the conversation between Kerry and the Captain of an LST en route to An Thoi, and why do the authors dispute it?
3. How did the assignment of the Swift Boats change, what was Kerry's response, and why did the other officers consider him to be a problem?
4. How was Kerry awarded the Silver Star?
5. What question did Lt. Ted Peck ask of Kerry shortly after he returned home, and why is Kerry's response revealing?
6. What was the length of a normal tour of duty, how did Kerry's time in the war compare to it, and how did the other officers regard his actions?
7. How did the debate between O'Neill and Kerry begin, and what was the outcome?
8. What was the content of Kerry's testimony before the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, and why did it anger O'Neill so much?
9. What were the events surrounding the first Purple Heart medal that Kerry received, and why do the authors question its validity?
10. How did one of Kerry's suggestions affect the Swiftees when they were ordered to employ Psychological Operations against the enemy?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)