|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a result of his poor performance, how did the audience react to Kerry at the end of the Dick Cavett Show?
(a) They became silent.
(b) They still cheered him.
(c) They threw things at him.
(d) They booed him.
2. After the villagers fled the Song Bo Do river village in 1969, what did Kerry order his crew to destroy while he lit fires with a Zippo?
(a) Pigs and chickens.
(b) The children's toys.
(c) The dogs and other pets.
(d) The abandoned boats.
3. What did Kerry have a high regard for, according to those who served with him?
(a) His exaggerated stories.
(b) His fellow officers.
(c) His own well being.
(d) His personal accountability.
4. What is the second sub-section of Part 1 of the book titled?
(a) The Purple Heart Braggart.
(b) The Purple Heart Thief.
(c) The Purple Heart Exaggerator.
(d) The Purple Heart Hunter.
5. What was the normal length of one tour of duty in Vietnam?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two and a half years.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Kerry eventually given offshore assignments by commanders at Cat Lo?
2. What does Kerry admit to about his decision to be part of the Swift Boats during Vietnam, in The Vietnam Experience: A War Remembered?
3. In what year did Kerry testify in front of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations?
4. Based on Kerry's report, what kind of knowledge did the U.S. Army have of these "atrocities"?
5. For how long were both O'Neill and Kerry both relatively quiet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the conversation between Kerry and the Captain of an LST en route to An Thoi, and why do the authors dispute it?
2. What is the significance of O'Neill's suggestion that the readers of the book view the video of the debate between him and Kerry?
3. How did the debate between O'Neill and Kerry begin, and what was the outcome?
4. What was the content of Kerry's testimony before the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, and why did it anger O'Neill so much?
5. What did O'Neill first do to challenge Kerry on his testimony, and how did Kerry respond?
6. How did one of Kerry's suggestions affect the Swiftees when they were ordered to employ Psychological Operations against the enemy?
7. What was the length of a normal tour of duty, how did Kerry's time in the war compare to it, and how did the other officers regard his actions?
8. What were the circumstances around the award of Kerry's second Purple Heart, and how does it parallel the first?
9. What question did Lt. Ted Peck ask of Kerry shortly after he returned home, and why is Kerry's response revealing?
10. How was Kerry awarded the Silver Star?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)