|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was unusual about Kerry's purple heart request that contradicted the normal procedure for how they are awarded?
(a) He recommended himself and his injury was self-inflicted.
(b) He was recommended by a witness that remained anonymous.
(c) He recommended himself for it before getting treated for the injury.
(d) His injury was not substantiated by any doctors.
2. How was Kerry's first wound treated?
(a) With a band-aid.
(b) With stitches.
(c) With a bandage.
(d) It did not need to be treated.
3. Which of the following words are not used to describe Kerry by the authors during his time in Vietnam?
4. What was Cavett's reputation as a commentator?
(a) Unfair and biased.
(d) Fair and objective.
5. What was the result of Kerry's congressional run after the Dick Cavett Show?
(a) He won.
(b) He failed.
(c) He withdrew from the race.
(d) It was declared a draw.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kerry claim his nickname was in Vietnam?
2. What does Kerry claim about his request to enter the military that is not supported by any military records?
3. In what year did Kerry testify in front of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations?
4. Based on Kerry's report, what kind of knowledge did the U.S. Army have of these "atrocities"?
5. For how long were both O'Neill and Kerry both relatively quiet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did O'Neill first do to challenge Kerry on his testimony, and how did Kerry respond?
2. What was the length of a normal tour of duty, how did Kerry's time in the war compare to it, and how did the other officers regard his actions?
3. What is an example of the report that Kerry lacked the nerves for combat and often would overreact to situations?
4. What is the significance of O'Neill's suggestion that the readers of the book view the video of the debate between him and Kerry?
5. How was Kerry awarded the Silver Star?
6. What were the circumstances around the award of Kerry's second Purple Heart, and how does it parallel the first?
7. How did the debate between O'Neill and Kerry begin, and what was the outcome?
8. What were the events surrounding the first Purple Heart medal that Kerry received, and why do the authors question its validity?
9. What question did Lt. Ted Peck ask of Kerry shortly after he returned home, and why is Kerry's response revealing?
10. What was the conversation between Kerry and the Captain of an LST en route to An Thoi, and why do the authors dispute it?
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)