|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to several Swift Boat officers, how did Kerry respond when the Swiftees were ordered into combat?
(a) He strenuously objected.
(b) He was confused.
(c) He refused to go.
(d) He didn't mind.
2. What does VVAW stand for?
(a) Vietnam Veterans Acting Wrongly.
(b) Vietnam Veterans Against the War.
(c) Vietnam Veterans Against the World.
(d) Vietnam Victims Against the War.
3. What were the charges Kerry leveled against the army during his testimony?
(a) Unwarranted attempts to win the war and a belief in freedom.
(b) Reckless violence and lack of sympathy for the enemy.
(c) Rape and baby killing.
(d) Corruption and betrayal.
4. What is the first sub-section of Part 1 of the book titled?
(a) The Righteous Warrior.
(b) The Reluctant Warrior.
(c) The Ridiculous Warrior.
(d) The Repulsive Warrior.
5. How did Kerry injure himself during his time with the skimmer?
(a) From firing a rocket launcher too far away, resulting in a large fragment in his shoulder.
(b) From firing a rocket launcher too close, resulting in a tiny fragment in his shoulder.
(c) From firing a rocket launcher too far away, resulting in a tiny fragment in his shoulder.
(d) From firing a rocket launcher too close, resulting in a large fragment in his shoulder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "skimmer"?
2. What television show did Kerry refuse to debate O'Neill on?
3. Why did Kerry's commanders pass him from one boat to another during his tour in Vietnam?
4. What were Kerry's goals back in Vietnam, according to Commander Grant Hibbard?
5. What was Cavett's reputation as a commentator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the content of Kerry's testimony before the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, and why did it anger O'Neill so much?
2. How was Kerry awarded the third Purple Heart, and why was it significant?
3. What is an example of the report that Kerry lacked the nerves for combat and often would overreact to situations?
4. What were the circumstances around the award of Kerry's second Purple Heart, and how does it parallel the first?
5. What was the conversation between Kerry and the Captain of an LST en route to An Thoi, and why do the authors dispute it?
6. What happened in the infamous sampan incident, where a mother and her child were found, and how did Kerry respond?
7. What was the length of a normal tour of duty, how did Kerry's time in the war compare to it, and how did the other officers regard his actions?
8. What were the events surrounding the first Purple Heart medal that Kerry received, and why do the authors question its validity?
9. How was Kerry awarded the Silver Star?
10. What does Captain Plumly report about Kerry's service, and how does that correspond to the reports of his trips to Saigon?
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)