|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grimbold see happening but is to late to stop?
2. What was it that appeared that caused Nimrodel to agree to leave and marry Amroth?
3. What does Gandalf agree to in order that the hobbit is able to accompany the dwarfs?
4. What do the dwarfs think when they realize it is a hobbit that Gandalf wants to have help them defeat the dragon?
5. What two words did Gollum supposedly give Sauron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Glaurung casts a spell over Nienor rather than simply kill her. She can no longer remember anything and has to be taught to do everything including speaking. This will prevent her and Turin from knowing that they are siblings.
1) Why did Glaurung choose to cast a spell rather than killing Nienor?
2) Should Turin have recognized Nienor as his sibling?
3) Was the spell Glaurung cast over Nienor worse than death? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Turin did not murder Sadeor although Turin's actions may have had a part in Sadeor's demise.
1) Could Turin have avoided Sadeor's death?
2) Why did Turin choose to run rather than go back to court to explain himself to Thingol?
3) Why does Turin refuse to return after Beleg tells him he has been pardoned?
4) Since Turin was already running from Thingol why did he not take this opportunity to go find his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Drugs are great craftsmen. Did the orcs that set the statue on fire know about the connection between this race and the things that they carved? Speculate on why there is the connection between the Drugs and their creations. What does this add to the story?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)