|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cirion turn when Gondor is in trouble despite the distance and trouble getting carriers through?
2. Who is in the possession of the Elessar when it is lost to Middle-earth?
3. What two people stand between Saruman and taking over Rohan?
4. How many days does it take Eorl's troops to cover the vast number of miles to Gondor?
5. Who did Eorl take counsel with to decide if he was going to come to Gondor's aid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On the island of Numenor the people treat their horses as if they are nobility. What does it say about the inhabitants of the island that they were able at one point in time to call their horses with a simple thought? What does their treatment of their animals reveal about their nature? Do they do anything that goes against this image?
Essay Topic 2
Glaurung casts a spell over Nienor rather than simply kill her. She can no longer remember anything and has to be taught to do everything including speaking. This will prevent her and Turin from knowing that they are siblings.
1) Why did Glaurung choose to cast a spell rather than killing Nienor?
2) Should Turin have recognized Nienor as his sibling?
3) Was the spell Glaurung cast over Nienor worse than death? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Brandir gives council that, if heeded, would have benefited both Turin and Nienor although Brandir was working for his own benefit.
1) Was Brandir a good leader?
2) Was Brandir's request for Nienor to was good council considering his motives? why?
3) Was Brandir's decision to follow Nienor into the woods right or wrong? Explain.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)