|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Without another mind what were the Palantiri stones limited to showing?
2. Where does Cirion declare will be the meeting place?
3. What did Saruman seize as his own?
4. What does Gandalf have that convinces the dwarfs of his sincerity?
5. Why did the Lord of the Nazgul leave the Wormtongue alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On the island of Numenor the people treat their horses as if they are nobility. What does it say about the inhabitants of the island that they were able at one point in time to call their horses with a simple thought? What does their treatment of their animals reveal about their nature? Do they do anything that goes against this image?
Essay Topic 2
Isildur gave the shards of his sword to his squire when they are attacked by a group of orcs. Isildur tells him to keep the sword safe at all cost. Why at this point does Isildur not give the one ring to the squire as well? Why was the sword so important to him?
Essay Topic 3
Morwen refuses to go to Thingol's court to live.
1) Was Morwen thinking of her own pride before that of the welfare of her daughter?
2) Why did Morwen not deem it necessary to remain with her son Turin?
3) Was the sending of her token to King Thingol accepted by her son as easily as it was accepted by the king?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)