|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Without another mind what were the Palantiri stones limited to showing?
2. What happens when Eorl and his troops begin their journey that frightens them for a moment?
3. Who is the leader of the Wizards?
4. What does Grimbold see happening but is to late to stop?
5. What does Gandalf agree to in order that the hobbit is able to accompany the dwarfs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Nienor is found by Turin and the other men of Brethil, Turin and Nienor develop a quick bond. If Turin had changed his name and tried to forget his mother and sister would he have realized that Nienor was his sister? Would hearing Turin's name have been enough to spark some remembrance?
Essay Topic 2
On the island of Numenor the people treat their horses as if they are nobility. What does it say about the inhabitants of the island that they were able at one point in time to call their horses with a simple thought? What does their treatment of their animals reveal about their nature? Do they do anything that goes against this image?
Essay Topic 3
Turin had two sisters. One of his sisters, Urwen, died when she was a small child. This death leaves his parents distant to Turin and he will be raised in many respects by Sador. His other sister he doesn't meet until he is an adult and doesn't realize it is his sister.
Explain the differences in the effects each sibling had on Turin. Which one had the greater impact on his life long term? Why?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)