|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gandalf meet that tells Galdalf they wish to kill Smaug?
2. What two plannings does King Calimehatar learn that the Northmen and the Wainriders are going to attempt at the same time?
3. What reason caused Saruman to stop cooperating with the Council?
4. What happens when Eorl and his troops begin their journey that frightens them for a moment?
5. Which two of the Istari will have a rivalry that ends in the fall of one of them?
Essay Topic 1
Sauron realizes that the Ringwraiths have a few weaknesses. What symboliim can be found in the fact that the Ringwraiths: Wander during the daylight? Fear water? Are stronger as a group? Speculate on why the leader doesn't have these tendencies as strongly as the others?
Essay Topic 2
In the tale of Aldarion and Erendis: The Mariner's Wife why could Erendis forgive Aldarion the first time he left for sea but not the second time?
Why did Erendis agree to send their daughter but refuse to come herself? Why did Aldarion not go and ask Erendis himself for her to come back if he had wanted her to come back like he said?
Essay Topic 3
Morwen refuses to go to Thingol's court to live.
1) Was Morwen thinking of her own pride before that of the welfare of her daughter?
2) Why did Morwen not deem it necessary to remain with her son Turin?
3) Was the sending of her token to King Thingol accepted by her son as easily as it was accepted by the king?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)