|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the leader of the Wizards?
2. Who controls King Theoden's mind?
3. For what creature do the Drugs hold a true hatred?
4. What do the dwarfs think when they realize it is a hobbit that Gandalf wants to have help them defeat the dragon?
5. What does Gandalf need to find a way to deal with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Elessar and The Palantiri are both objects that have descriptions that symbolize their power.
1) Explain how the Elessar's power are connected to the description the author gives of it.
2) Why is Aragon referred to as the Elessar?
3) Explain in what ways the Palantiri's powers are consistent with their descriptions.
Essay Topic 2
Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn there are two different stories. Do the inconsistencies in the telling of Galadriel and Celeborn take away from the story? If so, in what way?
Essay Topic 3
Saruman has a jealousy of Gandalf that eventually grows into a deep hate. Explain why Saruman continues to mimic Gandalf's actions although Saruman dislikes him so much. Why does Saruman suspect Gandalf of traitorous actions?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)