|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the dwarfs think when they realize it is a hobbit that Gandalf wants to have help them defeat the dragon?
2. What does Gandalf agree to in order that the hobbit is able to accompany the dwarfs?
3. What does Amroth see that causes him to jump over the side of the ship?
4. What are the Wainriders begin doing when they feel the battle is won?
5. What does Gandalf need to find a way to deal with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Turin had two sisters. One of his sisters, Urwen, died when she was a small child. This death leaves his parents distant to Turin and he will be raised in many respects by Sador. His other sister he doesn't meet until he is an adult and doesn't realize it is his sister.
Explain the differences in the effects each sibling had on Turin. Which one had the greater impact on his life long term? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Brandir gives council that, if heeded, would have benefited both Turin and Nienor although Brandir was working for his own benefit.
1) Was Brandir a good leader?
2) Was Brandir's request for Nienor to was good council considering his motives? why?
3) Was Brandir's decision to follow Nienor into the woods right or wrong? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
On the island of Numenor the people treat their horses as if they are nobility. What does it say about the inhabitants of the island that they were able at one point in time to call their horses with a simple thought? What does their treatment of their animals reveal about their nature? Do they do anything that goes against this image?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)