|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do people travel on Numenor?
2. What do the people of Brandir village find when they go to retrieve the body of Turin?
3. What two things does Turin use to scare away the orcs he finds holding a group of men from Brethil?
4. What captures Meneldur's desire more than ruling his people?
5. Turambar agrees to not leave Nienil for war except for what condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Aerin do after the death of her Easterling husband?
2. Why was Nimrodel reluctant to marry Amroth?
3. Why did Turin turn to Sador for his learning?
4. Describe the Haleth.
5. Which of the two endings seems most fitting to the Elessar story?
6. What does Glaurung tell Nienor before he dies?
7. Why did Turin not seek out his mother and sister after he left Thingol's court and the death of Sareos?
8. Describe the Wainriders that pose a threat to Gondor.
9. Why did Sauron let Gollum go after torturing him?
10. How were the orcs able to find Isildur when he was wearing the ring that made him invisible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Nienor is found by Turin and the other men of Brethil, Turin and Nienor develop a quick bond. If Turin had changed his name and tried to forget his mother and sister would he have realized that Nienor was his sister? Would hearing Turin's name have been enough to spark some remembrance?
Essay Topic 2
Brandir had worked against Turin seemingly from the beginning.
Is Turin right to assume that Brandir is lying when he announces that Nienor is dead? Why did Turin kill Brandir if he thought Turin was lying about Nienor's death?
Essay Topic 3
Turin had two sisters. One of his sisters, Urwen, died when she was a small child. This death leaves his parents distant to Turin and he will be raised in many respects by Sador. His other sister he doesn't meet until he is an adult and doesn't realize it is his sister.
Explain the differences in the effects each sibling had on Turin. Which one had the greater impact on his life long term? Why?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)