|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the building used for that was built on Forostar?
2. What does Aerin do after the fight in the hall to show her disapproval of Brooda's people, the Easterlings?
3. What does Morgoth wish to learn from Hurin?
4. What is the reason that no one has ever built on Mittalmar?
5. Turambar agrees to not leave Nienil for war except for what condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gollum not use the words Hobbit or Halfing to describe Bilbo Baggins?
2. Why did Mim help the outlaws after he knew they had killed his son?
3. Why does Saruman decide to pay notice to the Shire?
4. Why did Turin turn to Sador for his learning?
5. Describe the Wainriders behavior once they believed they might be winning the war.
6. Which of the two endings seems most fitting to the Elessar story?
7. How did Turin react after the death of Sareos?
8. Explain why Isildur was so reluctant to use the ring when attacked by the orcs.
9. Explain why the Palantiri passed out of knowledge of the people of Middle-earth.
10. Why did Turin not seek out his mother and sister after he left Thingol's court and the death of Sareos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of The Line of Elros being told? Does it add to the reader's comprehension of the story or detract? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn there are two different stories. Do the inconsistencies in the telling of Galadriel and Celeborn take away from the story? If so, in what way?
Essay Topic 3
Turin had two sisters. One of his sisters, Urwen, died when she was a small child. This death leaves his parents distant to Turin and he will be raised in many respects by Sador. His other sister he doesn't meet until he is an adult and doesn't realize it is his sister.
Explain the differences in the effects each sibling had on Turin. Which one had the greater impact on his life long term? Why?
This section contains 1,742 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)