|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Morgoth have for deciding to have Glaurung attack the village in Brethil?
2. What happen to the age of the Numenoreans when the Shadow came?
3. Why does Morwen not go with Turin when she sends him to King Thingol?
4. Why does Niniel decide she will do if Turambar is killed by Glaurung?
5. What does Morgoth wish to learn from Hurin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Tuor's mother?
2. Why did Mim help the outlaws after he knew they had killed his son?
3. What did Aldarion do that Erendis could not forgive him for?
4. Explain the effect that the Palantiri had on the user.
5. Why has Grima been placed as the adviser to King Theoden?
6. Explain the connection between the Elessar being a jewel that heals and the fact that it is made after the image of the sun and the green leaves.
7. Why does Saruman decide to pay notice to the Shire?
8. Which of the two endings seems most fitting to the Elessar story?
9. Describe the Drugs.
10. What is said about the final king of Numenor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brandir had worked against Turin seemingly from the beginning.
Is Turin right to assume that Brandir is lying when he announces that Nienor is dead? Why did Turin kill Brandir if he thought Turin was lying about Nienor's death?
Essay Topic 2
Isildur gave the shards of his sword to his squire when they are attacked by a group of orcs. Isildur tells him to keep the sword safe at all cost. Why at this point does Isildur not give the one ring to the squire as well? Why was the sword so important to him?
Essay Topic 3
Mim kept his word to the outlaws and helped them regardless of the fact that they had killed his son.
What does it say about Mim that he kept his word after such a heartbreak? Did Androg take Mim's curse seriously or not? Why was Mim able to keep his word?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)