|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Turin find that convinces him that it was Nienor that he had married?
2. When the village heard the screams from Glaurung what did they believe it meant?
3. Why does Mim say that they won't teach men about the roots that the dwarfs gather?
4. What happens to Celebrimbor when he stands up to Sauron?
5. Where does Aerin tell Turin that Morwen and his sister went?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who, per Isildur's word, is allowed to visit the grave of Elendil?
2. Describe the Wainriders behavior once they believed they might be winning the war.
3. Describe the Haleth.
4. How did Turin react after the death of Sareos?
5. What was Turin's response when Brandir told him Nienor was dead?
6. Why did Sauron let Gollum go after torturing him?
7. What did Aldarion find when he returned home from his five years at sea?
8. What about Bilbo caused Thorin to refuse Bilbo Baggins' help at first?
9. Why does Eorl decide he must ride to the aid of Gondor?
10. What is said about the final king of Numenor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sauron realizes that the Ringwraiths have a few weaknesses. What symboliim can be found in the fact that the Ringwraiths: Wander during the daylight? Fear water? Are stronger as a group? Speculate on why the leader doesn't have these tendencies as strongly as the others?
Essay Topic 2
Mim kept his word to the outlaws and helped them regardless of the fact that they had killed his son.
What does it say about Mim that he kept his word after such a heartbreak? Did Androg take Mim's curse seriously or not? Why was Mim able to keep his word?
Essay Topic 3
Morwen refuses to go to Thingol's court to live.
1) Was Morwen thinking of her own pride before that of the welfare of her daughter?
2) Why did Morwen not deem it necessary to remain with her son Turin?
3) Was the sending of her token to King Thingol accepted by her son as easily as it was accepted by the king?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)