|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that covers much of Hyarnustar?
2. What does Turin say he has been all this time to not have seen who Nienor was?
3. Why does Morwen not go with Turin when she sends him to King Thingol?
4. What happens to Turin's sister Urwen?
5. What do the people of Brandir do with the dragon's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nienor go into the woods?
2. What does Glaurung do to Nienor?
3. Why does Eorl decide he must ride to the aid of Gondor?
4. What are some of the reasons that Saruman has a hatred for Gandalf?
5. Why has Grima been placed as the adviser to King Theoden?
6. How did Turin react after the death of Sareos?
7. Who, per Isildur's word, is allowed to visit the grave of Elendil?
8. Why did Turin turn to Sador for his learning?
9. What happens to Tuor's mother?
10. Describe the Drugs.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The black blade that Turin uses will be the one that kills him. What is the significance of the blade being black? Why does the blade speak to Turin before he falls on it mentioning the two that Turin unjustly killed?
Essay Topic 2
Sauron realizes that the Ringwraiths have a few weaknesses. What symboliim can be found in the fact that the Ringwraiths: Wander during the daylight? Fear water? Are stronger as a group? Speculate on why the leader doesn't have these tendencies as strongly as the others?
Essay Topic 3
Brandir gives council that, if heeded, would have benefited both Turin and Nienor although Brandir was working for his own benefit.
1) Was Brandir a good leader?
2) Was Brandir's request for Nienor to was good council considering his motives? why?
3) Was Brandir's decision to follow Nienor into the woods right or wrong? Explain.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)