|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many kings are listed in the Line of Elros?
2. What does Turin say he has been all this time to not have seen who Nienor was?
3. Why is Turin taken far from his home?
4. What does Aerin do after the fight in the hall to show her disapproval of Brooda's people, the Easterlings?
5. What does Thingol do when Turin reaches his kingdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Turin not surprised he is alone when he reaches Glaurung?
2. What are some of the Ringwraiths' weaknesses?
3. How do the people of Numenor travel and why?
4. What did Aerin do after the death of her Easterling husband?
5. What about Bilbo caused Thorin to refuse Bilbo Baggins' help at first?
6. Why did Morwen decline Thingol's offer to come live with him in his kingdom?
7. Why did Gollum not use the words Hobbit or Halfing to describe Bilbo Baggins?
8. Explain why Isildur was so reluctant to use the ring when attacked by the orcs.
9. Why did Sauron let Gollum go after torturing him?
10. Why does Nienor go into the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On the island of Numenor the people treat their horses as if they are nobility. What does it say about the inhabitants of the island that they were able at one point in time to call their horses with a simple thought? What does their treatment of their animals reveal about their nature? Do they do anything that goes against this image?
Essay Topic 2
In the tale of Aldarion and Erendis: The Mariner's Wife why could Erendis forgive Aldarion the first time he left for sea but not the second time?
Why did Erendis agree to send their daughter but refuse to come herself? Why did Aldarion not go and ask Erendis himself for her to come back if he had wanted her to come back like he said?
Essay Topic 3
Turin did not murder Sadeor although Turin's actions may have had a part in Sadeor's demise.
1) Could Turin have avoided Sadeor's death?
2) Why did Turin choose to run rather than go back to court to explain himself to Thingol?
3) Why does Turin refuse to return after Beleg tells him he has been pardoned?
4) Since Turin was already running from Thingol why did he not take this opportunity to go find his mother?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)