|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What captures Meneldur's desire more than ruling his people?
2. What occurrence makes Meneldur decide it is time for Aldarion to take the throne?
3. What does Turin find has become of the people in his home of Dorlomin when he returns to look for his mother and sister?
4. Rain is found wondering the woods by whom?
5. What do the people of Brandir village find when they go to retrieve the body of Turin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part did Celebrimbor have that he felt he needed to repent of?
2. What does Beleg believe regarding the bond between men and elves?
3. Explain the connection between the Elessar being a jewel that heals and the fact that it is made after the image of the sun and the green leaves.
4. Describe the Drugs.
5. What does Brandir do with his title of Lord and why?
6. Explain why the Nazgul couldn't be completely secret when Sauron decided to send them out?
7. Why does Eorl decide he must ride to the aid of Gondor?
8. What is said about the final king of Numenor?
9. What does Glaurung tell Nienor before he dies?
10. What makes the History of Galadriel and Celeborn and of Amroth King of Lorien so full of inconsistencies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Glaurung casts a spell over Nienor rather than simply kill her. She can no longer remember anything and has to be taught to do everything including speaking. This will prevent her and Turin from knowing that they are siblings.
1) Why did Glaurung choose to cast a spell rather than killing Nienor?
2) Should Turin have recognized Nienor as his sibling?
3) Was the spell Glaurung cast over Nienor worse than death? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Turin did not murder Sadeor although Turin's actions may have had a part in Sadeor's demise.
1) Could Turin have avoided Sadeor's death?
2) Why did Turin choose to run rather than go back to court to explain himself to Thingol?
3) Why does Turin refuse to return after Beleg tells him he has been pardoned?
4) Since Turin was already running from Thingol why did he not take this opportunity to go find his mother?
Essay Topic 3
On the island of Numenor the people treat their horses as if they are nobility. What does it say about the inhabitants of the island that they were able at one point in time to call their horses with a simple thought? What does their treatment of their animals reveal about their nature? Do they do anything that goes against this image?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)