|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that covers much of Hyarnustar?
2. What does Erendis choose to do when Aldarion returns to take the throne?
3. What reason does Brandir give Niniel to refuse Turambar's marriage proposal?
4. When the village heard the screams from Glaurung what did they believe it meant?
5. Rain is found wondering the woods by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is given with the list of the Kings of Numenor?
2. Who, per Isildur's word, is allowed to visit the grave of Elendil?
3. What does Thingol tell Morwen when she says she must go to look for Turin?
4. What does Glaurung do to Nienor?
5. What happens that causes a rift between the White and Grey Istari?
6. How did Turin react after the death of Sareos?
7. Why does Saruman decide to pay notice to the Shire?
8. Why did Morwen decline Thingol's offer to come live with him in his kingdom?
9. What happens to Tuor's mother?
10. What does Beleg believe regarding the bond between men and elves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brandir gives council that, if heeded, would have benefited both Turin and Nienor although Brandir was working for his own benefit.
1) Was Brandir a good leader?
2) Was Brandir's request for Nienor to was good council considering his motives? why?
3) Was Brandir's decision to follow Nienor into the woods right or wrong? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Turin had two sisters. One of his sisters, Urwen, died when she was a small child. This death leaves his parents distant to Turin and he will be raised in many respects by Sador. His other sister he doesn't meet until he is an adult and doesn't realize it is his sister.
Explain the differences in the effects each sibling had on Turin. Which one had the greater impact on his life long term? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Sauron realizes that the Ringwraiths have a few weaknesses. What symboliim can be found in the fact that the Ringwraiths: Wander during the daylight? Fear water? Are stronger as a group? Speculate on why the leader doesn't have these tendencies as strongly as the others?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)