|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Turambar agrees to not leave Nienil for war except for what condition?
2. Where does Aerin tell Turin that Morwen and his sister went?
3. What does Dorlas tell Turambar will happen if the orcs get any closer?
4. What occurrence makes Meneldur decide it is time for Aldarion to take the throne?
5. What shape does the Island of Numenor resemble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the Ringwraiths' weaknesses?
2. Explain the connection between the Elessar being a jewel that heals and the fact that it is made after the image of the sun and the green leaves.
3. How does Turin chase off the orcs that have captured the men of Brethil?
4. Why did Turin turn to Sador for his learning?
5. Who, per Isildur's word, is allowed to visit the grave of Elendil?
6. Describe the punishment that Hurin recieved from Morgoth and why it was so severe?
7. How do the people of Numenor travel and why?
8. What mistake does Saruman make after the death of Theoden during battle?
9. What about Bilbo caused Thorin to refuse Bilbo Baggins' help at first?
10. What does Turin do when he finds Nienor naked and dirty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The black blade that Turin uses will be the one that kills him. What is the significance of the blade being black? Why does the blade speak to Turin before he falls on it mentioning the two that Turin unjustly killed?
Essay Topic 2
Glaurung casts a spell over Nienor rather than simply kill her. She can no longer remember anything and has to be taught to do everything including speaking. This will prevent her and Turin from knowing that they are siblings.
1) Why did Glaurung choose to cast a spell rather than killing Nienor?
2) Should Turin have recognized Nienor as his sibling?
3) Was the spell Glaurung cast over Nienor worse than death? Why?
Essay Topic 3
When Nienor is found by Turin and the other men of Brethil, Turin and Nienor develop a quick bond. If Turin had changed his name and tried to forget his mother and sister would he have realized that Nienor was his sister? Would hearing Turin's name have been enough to spark some remembrance?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)