|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aerin do after the fight in the hall to show her disapproval of Brooda's people, the Easterlings?
2. What reason does Brandir give Niniel to refuse Turambar's marriage proposal?
3. How do people travel on Numenor?
4. What is listed as a problem with the history of Galadriel and Celeborn?
5. How did Brandir hope to keep the orcs from attacking his village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nienor go into the woods?
2. What does Turin hear that convinces him of Brandir's truth?
3. What did Aldarion find when he returned home from his five years at sea?
4. What was Turin's response when Brandir told him Nienor was dead?
5. Why does Saruman decide to pay notice to the Shire?
6. Why has Grima been placed as the adviser to King Theoden?
7. What did Cirion offer Eorl in return for coming to the aid of Cirion's kingdom?
8. What does Glaurung do to Nienor?
9. Explain the connection between the Elessar being a jewel that heals and the fact that it is made after the image of the sun and the green leaves.
10. How is Numenor's landscape described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Isildur gave the shards of his sword to his squire when they are attacked by a group of orcs. Isildur tells him to keep the sword safe at all cost. Why at this point does Isildur not give the one ring to the squire as well? Why was the sword so important to him?
Essay Topic 2
When Nienor is found by Turin and the other men of Brethil, Turin and Nienor develop a quick bond. If Turin had changed his name and tried to forget his mother and sister would he have realized that Nienor was his sister? Would hearing Turin's name have been enough to spark some remembrance?
Essay Topic 3
Drugs are great craftsmen. Did the orcs that set the statue on fire know about the connection between this race and the things that they carved? Speculate on why there is the connection between the Drugs and their creations. What does this add to the story?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)