|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does it appear that Galadriel and Celeborn chose the place that they did for the location of Eregion?
2. When Morwen was riding her horse through the confusion that Glaurung was causing with Thingol's men what was she yelling?
3. What does Turin do to Brandir upon hearing that Niniel was Nienor and has killed herself?
4. How does the fight end between Saeros and Turin?
5. Where does Turambar stab Glaurung?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Glaurung tell Nienor before he dies?
2. What becomes of Amroth and Nimrodel?
3. Why did Gollum not use the words Hobbit or Halfing to describe Bilbo Baggins?
4. Describe the Wainriders that pose a threat to Gondor.
5. What did Aerin do after the death of her Easterling husband?
6. What part did Celebrimbor have that he felt he needed to repent of?
7. Why is Thorin Oakenshield planning to kill Smaug?
8. What does Turin hear that convinces him of Brandir's truth?
9. Describe Halifirien.
10. Which of the two endings seems most fitting to the Elessar story?
Essay Topic 1
On the island of Numenor the people treat their horses as if they are nobility. What does it say about the inhabitants of the island that they were able at one point in time to call their horses with a simple thought? What does their treatment of their animals reveal about their nature? Do they do anything that goes against this image?
Essay Topic 2
The black blade that Turin uses will be the one that kills him. What is the significance of the blade being black? Why does the blade speak to Turin before he falls on it mentioning the two that Turin unjustly killed?
Essay Topic 3
Turin did not murder Sadeor although Turin's actions may have had a part in Sadeor's demise.
1) Could Turin have avoided Sadeor's death?
2) Why did Turin choose to run rather than go back to court to explain himself to Thingol?
3) Why does Turin refuse to return after Beleg tells him he has been pardoned?
4) Since Turin was already running from Thingol why did he not take this opportunity to go find his mother?
This section contains 1,664 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)