|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Turambar agrees to not leave Nienil for war except for what condition?
2. What does the death of Glaurung do to Niniel?
3. What was the building used for that was built on Forostar?
4. Why does Morwen not go with Turin when she sends him to King Thingol?
5. Where does Nienor unknowing lay down after running from the orcs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Turin not seek out his mother and sister after he left Thingol's court and the death of Sareos?
2. What does Turin hear that convinces him of Brandir's truth?
3. Why did Mim help the outlaws after he knew they had killed his son?
4. What did Brandir ask Nienor to do in regard to waiting before marrying Turin?
5. What is said about the final king of Numenor?
6. What about Bilbo caused Thorin to refuse Bilbo Baggins' help at first?
7. Why has Grima been placed as the adviser to King Theoden?
8. Why does Saruman decide to pay notice to the Shire?
9. What does Turin do when he finds Nienor naked and dirty?
10. Why did Gollum not use the words Hobbit or Halfing to describe Bilbo Baggins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mim kept his word to the outlaws and helped them regardless of the fact that they had killed his son.
What does it say about Mim that he kept his word after such a heartbreak? Did Androg take Mim's curse seriously or not? Why was Mim able to keep his word?
Essay Topic 2
Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn there are two different stories. Do the inconsistencies in the telling of Galadriel and Celeborn take away from the story? If so, in what way?
Essay Topic 3
On the island of Numenor the people treat their horses as if they are nobility. What does it say about the inhabitants of the island that they were able at one point in time to call their horses with a simple thought? What does their treatment of their animals reveal about their nature? Do they do anything that goes against this image?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)