|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nienor unknowing lay down after running from the orcs?
2. Although Thingol tells Morwen that he cannot, what does he send with Morwen in secret?
3. Where does Turambar stab Glaurung?
4. How do people travel on Numenor?
5. What captures Meneldur's desire more than ruling his people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Turin wakes from his deathlike trance.
2. How do the people of Numenor travel and why?
3. What was Turin's response when Brandir told him Nienor was dead?
4. What happens to Tuor's mother?
5. Explain the effect that the Palantiri had on the user.
6. What does Turin hear that convinces him of Brandir's truth?
7. Describe the punishment that Hurin recieved from Morgoth and why it was so severe?
8. What is Mim's curse on Androg?
9. How did Turin react after the death of Sareos?
10. What does Thingol tell Morwen when she says she must go to look for Turin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn there are two different stories. Do the inconsistencies in the telling of Galadriel and Celeborn take away from the story? If so, in what way?
Essay Topic 2
Saruman has a jealousy of Gandalf that eventually grows into a deep hate. Explain why Saruman continues to mimic Gandalf's actions although Saruman dislikes him so much. Why does Saruman suspect Gandalf of traitorous actions?
Essay Topic 3
On the island of Numenor the people treat their horses as if they are nobility. What does it say about the inhabitants of the island that they were able at one point in time to call their horses with a simple thought? What does their treatment of their animals reveal about their nature? Do they do anything that goes against this image?
This section contains 1,620 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)