|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Morwen convince the Easterlings of in order to protect her and her children?
2. What does Glaurung do to Nienor?
3. What does Turin do to Brooda that causes a fight in the hall?
4. What does Turin tell the people in Brethil about his past actions?
5. What does Sauron convince Celebrimbor and the other craftsmen to do for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the effect that the Palantiri had on the user.
2. What makes the History of Galadriel and Celeborn and of Amroth King of Lorien so full of inconsistencies?
3. How is Numenor's landscape described?
4. What is said about the final king of Numenor?
5. What is Mim's curse on Androg?
6. What does Brandir do with his title of Lord and why?
7. What did Aldarion find when he returned home from his five years at sea?
8. Why does Eorl decide he must ride to the aid of Gondor?
9. How does Turin chase off the orcs that have captured the men of Brethil?
10. What does Glaurung tell Nienor before he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Glaurung casts a spell over Nienor rather than simply kill her. She can no longer remember anything and has to be taught to do everything including speaking. This will prevent her and Turin from knowing that they are siblings. 1) Why did Glaurung choose to cast a spell rather than killing Nienor? 2) Should Turin have recognized Nienor as his sibling? 3) Was the spell Glaurung cast over Nienor worse than death? Why?
Essay Topic 2Isildur gave the shards of his sword to his squire when they are attacked by a group of orcs. Isildur tells him to keep the sword safe at all cost. Why at this point does Isildur not give the one ring to the squire as well? Why was the sword so important to him?
Essay Topic 3Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn there are two different stories. Do the inconsistencies in the telling of Galadriel and Celeborn take away from the story? If so, in what way?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)