|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Glaurung tell Nienor that Turin did when faced with the dragon?
2. Niniel finds Turambar's body next to Glaurung. When she screams for Turambar to awaken what happens?
3. What do the people of Brandir village find when they go to retrieve the body of Turin?
4. What was the building used for that was built on Forostar?
5. The outlaws tell Mim that they will let him leave if he will leave something of his behind. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mim help the outlaws after he knew they had killed his son?
2. Describe the punishment that Hurin recieved from Morgoth and why it was so severe?
3. What did Aldarion find when he returned home from his five years at sea?
4. What does Glaurung tell Nienor before he dies?
5. Explain why after the move of the Eotheodian people, the messengers had to stop taking word from one kingdom to the other.
6. What was Turin's response when Brandir told him Nienor was dead?
7. What does Brandir do with his title of Lord and why?
8. What did Brandir ask Nienor to do in regard to waiting before marrying Turin?
9. What does Turin hear that convinces him of Brandir's truth?
10. What is said about the final king of Numenor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn there are two different stories. Do the inconsistencies in the telling of Galadriel and Celeborn take away from the story? If so, in what way?
Essay Topic 2
The Elessar and The Palantiri are both objects that have descriptions that symbolize their power.
1) Explain how the Elessar's power are connected to the description the author gives of it.
2) Why is Aragon referred to as the Elessar?
3) Explain in what ways the Palantiri's powers are consistent with their descriptions.
Essay Topic 3
In the tale of Aldarion and Erendis: The Mariner's Wife why could Erendis forgive Aldarion the first time he left for sea but not the second time?
Why did Erendis agree to send their daughter but refuse to come herself? Why did Aldarion not go and ask Erendis himself for her to come back if he had wanted her to come back like he said?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)