|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it that caused Turambar to faint and look as if he were dead next to Glaurung?
2. What language did the kings take their name in as was the custom?
3. Although Thingol tells Morwen that he cannot, what does he send with Morwen in secret?
4. Why are Thingol's men looking for Turin?
5. How does Niniel view Brandir despite the fact that he loves her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mim's curse on Androg?
2. What makes the History of Galadriel and Celeborn and of Amroth King of Lorien so full of inconsistencies?
3. Describe the Drugs.
4. Explain why after the move of the Eotheodian people, the messengers had to stop taking word from one kingdom to the other.
5. Who, per Isildur's word, is allowed to visit the grave of Elendil?
6. What did Cirion offer Eorl in return for coming to the aid of Cirion's kingdom?
7. Describe Halifirien.
8. What are some of the Ringwraiths' weaknesses?
9. Why is Turin not surprised he is alone when he reaches Glaurung?
10. Why did Turin not seek out his mother and sister after he left Thingol's court and the death of Sareos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brandir gives council that, if heeded, would have benefited both Turin and Nienor although Brandir was working for his own benefit.
1) Was Brandir a good leader?
2) Was Brandir's request for Nienor to was good council considering his motives? why?
3) Was Brandir's decision to follow Nienor into the woods right or wrong? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Sauron realizes that the Ringwraiths have a few weaknesses. What symboliim can be found in the fact that the Ringwraiths: Wander during the daylight? Fear water? Are stronger as a group? Speculate on why the leader doesn't have these tendencies as strongly as the others?
Essay Topic 3
Turin had two sisters. One of his sisters, Urwen, died when she was a small child. This death leaves his parents distant to Turin and he will be raised in many respects by Sador. His other sister he doesn't meet until he is an adult and doesn't realize it is his sister.
Explain the differences in the effects each sibling had on Turin. Which one had the greater impact on his life long term? Why?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)