|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Morwen not go with Turin when she sends him to King Thingol?
2. What does Glaurung do to Nienor?
3. What happens when Turin is taken to Finduilas' grave?
4. Where does Aldarion desire more than being king?
5. Who is the cripple man that talks to Turin and tells him about his mother and sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of the two endings seems most fitting to the Elessar story?
2. Why does Saruman decide to pay notice to the Shire?
3. Why does Eorl decide he must ride to the aid of Gondor?
4. What did Aldarion find when he returned home from his five years at sea?
5. What did Cirion offer Eorl in return for coming to the aid of Cirion's kingdom?
6. What happens to Tuor's mother?
7. What mistake does Saruman make after the death of Theoden during battle?
8. Explain why the Nazgul couldn't be completely secret when Sauron decided to send them out?
9. Describe the Wainriders that pose a threat to Gondor.
10. What does Thingol tell Morwen when she says she must go to look for Turin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brandir had worked against Turin seemingly from the beginning.
Is Turin right to assume that Brandir is lying when he announces that Nienor is dead? Why did Turin kill Brandir if he thought Turin was lying about Nienor's death?
Essay Topic 2
Drugs are great craftsmen. Did the orcs that set the statue on fire know about the connection between this race and the things that they carved? Speculate on why there is the connection between the Drugs and their creations. What does this add to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Turin's parents are so upset by the death of their daughter Urwen that they grieve for a long period of time leaving Turin to be reared by Sador.
1) Did Turin's parents put their own grief ahead of his needs as a child?
2) Should they have included him in their grief?
3) Would Turin's fate have been any different if they had managed to hold him close rather than distance themselves from him? Explain.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)