|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nienor do after learning she has married her brother?
2. Where does Aerin tell Turin that Morwen and his sister went?
3. What does Morgoth wish to learn from Hurin?
4. What does Turin do to Brooda that causes a fight in the hall?
5. What does Turin find has become of the people in his home of Dorlomin when he returns to look for his mother and sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Isildur was so reluctant to use the ring when attacked by the orcs.
2. Describe the Wainriders that pose a threat to Gondor.
3. Describe the Drugs.
4. Describe Halifirien.
5. Why does Saruman decide to pay notice to the Shire?
6. What are some of the Ringwraiths' weaknesses?
7. Which of the two endings seems most fitting to the Elessar story?
8. Why does Nienor go into the woods?
9. What happens to Tuor's mother?
10. Why was Nimrodel reluctant to marry Amroth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Glaurung casts a spell over Nienor rather than simply kill her. She can no longer remember anything and has to be taught to do everything including speaking. This will prevent her and Turin from knowing that they are siblings.
1) Why did Glaurung choose to cast a spell rather than killing Nienor?
2) Should Turin have recognized Nienor as his sibling?
3) Was the spell Glaurung cast over Nienor worse than death? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn there are two different stories. Do the inconsistencies in the telling of Galadriel and Celeborn take away from the story? If so, in what way?
Essay Topic 3
Sauron realizes that the Ringwraiths have a few weaknesses. What symboliim can be found in the fact that the Ringwraiths: Wander during the daylight? Fear water? Are stronger as a group? Speculate on why the leader doesn't have these tendencies as strongly as the others?
This section contains 1,640 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)