|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Turin tell the people in Brethil about his past actions?
2. Where does Aldarion desire more than being king?
3. What is done with the Three rings?
4. When Turin saves the men of Brethil from the orcs what does he tell them his trade is?
5. How is AR-Pharazon, the last King of Numenor, described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Drugs.
2. Why has Grima been placed as the adviser to King Theoden?
3. What does Turin hear that convinces him of Brandir's truth?
4. What mistake does Saruman make after the death of Theoden during battle?
5. Why is Turin not surprised he is alone when he reaches Glaurung?
6. What happens that causes a rift between the White and Grey Istari?
7. Explain why the Nazgul couldn't be completely secret when Sauron decided to send them out?
8. What does Thingol tell Morwen when she says she must go to look for Turin?
9. What does Beleg believe regarding the bond between men and elves?
10. Describe the appearance of the Istari.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Elessar and The Palantiri are both objects that have descriptions that symbolize their power.
1) Explain how the Elessar's power are connected to the description the author gives of it.
2) Why is Aragon referred to as the Elessar?
3) Explain in what ways the Palantiri's powers are consistent with their descriptions.
Essay Topic 2
Morwen refuses to go to Thingol's court to live.
1) Was Morwen thinking of her own pride before that of the welfare of her daughter?
2) Why did Morwen not deem it necessary to remain with her son Turin?
3) Was the sending of her token to King Thingol accepted by her son as easily as it was accepted by the king?
Essay Topic 3
On the island of Numenor the people treat their horses as if they are nobility. What does it say about the inhabitants of the island that they were able at one point in time to call their horses with a simple thought? What does their treatment of their animals reveal about their nature? Do they do anything that goes against this image?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)