|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What captures Meneldur's desire more than ruling his people?
2. How is AR-Pharazon, the last King of Numenor, described?
3. Why does Brandir pass his title of Lord to Turambar?
4. What does Glaurung tell Nienor that Turin did when faced with the dragon?
5. Where does Aerin tell Turin that Morwen and his sister went?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the Ringwraiths' weaknesses?
2. What does Turin do when he finds Nienor naked and dirty?
3. Describe the Wainriders that pose a threat to Gondor.
4. Explain why after the move of the Eotheodian people, the messengers had to stop taking word from one kingdom to the other.
5. Why has Grima been placed as the adviser to King Theoden?
6. Why was Nimrodel reluctant to marry Amroth?
7. Why is Turin not surprised he is alone when he reaches Glaurung?
8. Describe the punishment that Hurin recieved from Morgoth and why it was so severe?
9. What did Cirion offer Eorl in return for coming to the aid of Cirion's kingdom?
10. Why did Sauron let Gollum go after torturing him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Glaurung casts a spell over Nienor rather than simply kill her. She can no longer remember anything and has to be taught to do everything including speaking. This will prevent her and Turin from knowing that they are siblings.
1) Why did Glaurung choose to cast a spell rather than killing Nienor?
2) Should Turin have recognized Nienor as his sibling?
3) Was the spell Glaurung cast over Nienor worse than death? Why?
Essay Topic 2
On the island of Numenor the people treat their horses as if they are nobility. What does it say about the inhabitants of the island that they were able at one point in time to call their horses with a simple thought? What does their treatment of their animals reveal about their nature? Do they do anything that goes against this image?
Essay Topic 3
Isildur gave the shards of his sword to his squire when they are attacked by a group of orcs. Isildur tells him to keep the sword safe at all cost. Why at this point does Isildur not give the one ring to the squire as well? Why was the sword so important to him?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)