|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Glaurung do to Nienor?
2. Who is it after that Turin model's his desire to be a soldier?
3. What does the name Niniel mean that Turambar gives to Nienor?
4. What was it that caused Turambar to faint and look as if he were dead next to Glaurung?
5. What happens to Turin because of Saeros' death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part did Celebrimbor have that he felt he needed to repent of?
2. What is said about the final king of Numenor?
3. What was Turin's response when Brandir told him Nienor was dead?
4. Who, per Isildur's word, is allowed to visit the grave of Elendil?
5. Describe the appearance of the Istari.
6. Why does Saruman decide to pay notice to the Shire?
7. What does Glaurung do to Nienor?
8. Why does Nienor go into the woods?
9. What are some of the Ringwraiths' weaknesses?
10. Explain the effect that the Palantiri had on the user.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mim kept his word to the outlaws and helped them regardless of the fact that they had killed his son.
What does it say about Mim that he kept his word after such a heartbreak? Did Androg take Mim's curse seriously or not? Why was Mim able to keep his word?
Essay Topic 2
Morwen refuses to go to Thingol's court to live.
1) Was Morwen thinking of her own pride before that of the welfare of her daughter?
2) Why did Morwen not deem it necessary to remain with her son Turin?
3) Was the sending of her token to King Thingol accepted by her son as easily as it was accepted by the king?
Essay Topic 3
The Elessar and The Palantiri are both objects that have descriptions that symbolize their power.
1) Explain how the Elessar's power are connected to the description the author gives of it.
2) Why is Aragon referred to as the Elessar?
3) Explain in what ways the Palantiri's powers are consistent with their descriptions.
This section contains 1,592 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)