|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape does the Island of Numenor resemble?
2. Who is the cripple man that talks to Turin and tells him about his mother and sister?
3. What happens to Celebrimbor when he stands up to Sauron?
4. What reason does Brandir give Niniel to refuse Turambar's marriage proposal?
5. What does Erendis choose to do when Aldarion returns to take the throne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of the two endings seems most fitting to the Elessar story?
2. Explain the effect that the Palantiri had on the user.
3. What are some of the Ringwraiths' weaknesses?
4. What are some of the reasons that Saruman has a hatred for Gandalf?
5. Explain why after the move of the Eotheodian people, the messengers had to stop taking word from one kingdom to the other.
6. Describe the Haleth.
7. How is Numenor's landscape described?
8. Describe the appearance of the Istari.
9. Explain why Isildur was so reluctant to use the ring when attacked by the orcs.
10. What does Thingol tell Morwen when she says she must go to look for Turin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The black blade that Turin uses will be the one that kills him. What is the significance of the blade being black? Why does the blade speak to Turin before he falls on it mentioning the two that Turin unjustly killed?
Essay Topic 2
Isildur gave the shards of his sword to his squire when they are attacked by a group of orcs. Isildur tells him to keep the sword safe at all cost. Why at this point does Isildur not give the one ring to the squire as well? Why was the sword so important to him?
Essay Topic 3
Turin had two sisters. One of his sisters, Urwen, died when she was a small child. This death leaves his parents distant to Turin and he will be raised in many respects by Sador. His other sister he doesn't meet until he is an adult and doesn't realize it is his sister.
Explain the differences in the effects each sibling had on Turin. Which one had the greater impact on his life long term? Why?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)