|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Wright get off his boat instead of San Francisco?
2. What is the name of the European Klara meets at the rooftop party?
3. Who tells Nick about the extent of the power failure in New York?
4. Why do Manx's friends think he will struggle to sell the baseball?
5. What is the name of the man Manx leaves the bar with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antoine explain to Manx about the word jealous?
2. What is Albert doing at the beginning of part six?
3. How does Manx react to the super's accusations that he stole the shovels?
4. What does this section state about Klara's life in the Bronx?
5. How does Nick get a job at the soft drink company?
6. What do the fragments portray in this section?
7. Describe Lenny Bruce's performance in New York in October 1962?
8. How does Bruce describe the President's decorator?
9. What do we find out about Carlo Strasse in this section?
10. How does Manx feel when he talks about the baseball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What significance do the following events have on the story and the lives of the characters?
1. The 1951 bomb testing.
2. The 1951 world series game.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)