|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What traumatic event happened to Matt when he was six?
2. Why is the ship rumored to be carrying heroin?
3. Who is Marian talking to at the beginning of this section?
4. What is Chuckie Wainwright's job on the tramp steamer?
5. Where is Nick in November 1952?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we find out about Carlo Strasse in this section?
2. How does Bruce describe the President's decorator?
3. What does this section state about Klara's life in the Bronx?
4. How does Manx feel when he talks about the baseball?
5. Describe Lenny Bruce's performance in Miami in October 1962?
6. What does Antoine explain to Manx about the word jealous?
7. What is the relationship Klara has with Miles?
8. What does Matt tell Janet about his work?
9. What is Albert doing at the beginning of part six?
10. What does Hoover discuss with Clyde Tolson in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Lenny Bruce? Why does the author include him as a character in his novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is Manx's role in the novel? What meaning does his character give the novel? How would the novel change if Manx was not a character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is Klara's character at the beginning of the novel? How does her character change through the novel? How does the author express this change? What events have the biggest impact on Klara's life and why?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)