|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Marian driving to in chapter two?
2. What is the child taping in chapter one?
3. What are Klara and her friends doing in the desert?
4. Where does Russ Hodges interview the players?
5. What kind of firm does Bill Patterson own?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nick know Klara Sax?
2. What did Marian always want Nick to talk about?
3. Why does Nick's wife like Nick's mother?
4. How are Nick and Klara's lives different?
5. How does Marian react to Nick's fling with Donna?
6. Why does Nick have his mother's surname instead of his father's?
7. How does Cotter get into the baseball game without paying?
8. Why does Hoover appreciate Truman's timing in the announcement of the Soviet bomb?
9. Why does Mike think his mother should stay in New York?
10. Why does Nick think his mother should move to Phoenix?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the disappearance of their father effect Nick and Matt? How different would their lives have been if their father stayed?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
How is the Texas Highway killing significant to the story? Why do you think the author does explore the killings and the murderer further?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)