Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hoover think of when he looks at the picture by Bruegel?
2. At what kind of restaurant does Marvin eat in chapter four?
3. What company does Jane Farsih work for?
4. In which state is Phoenix?
5. What does Matt think has happened to their father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does this section state about Klara's life in the Bronx?
2. What does this section say about Klara's love life?
3. How does Nick kill George?
4. How does Manx react to the super's accusations that he stole the shovels?
5. What did Marian always want Nick to talk about?
6. What do people in Phoenix think about Nick's roots?
7. Why does Marian say she takes heroin?
8. Describe the life Nick had growing up?
9. What does Nick think about meeting Klara after all these years?
10. What does Hoover discuss with Clyde Tolson in this section?
Essay Topic 1
Why has the author chosen Nick and Klara's affair as the central part of his story? Choose two other characters that the author could ahve chosen as the central part of his story. How would the novel change?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
What role does baseball play in the lives of the character? What reasons does the author give for baseball's popularity? What role does baseball play in American society? Why do you think it has become so popular?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)