|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city is Dodger Stadium?
2. Why does Nick uses his mother's surname rather than his father's surname?
3. What is the name of Matt and Nick's mother?
4. What does the woman do for a living?
5. What company does Jane Farsih work for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Nick say Brian believes he is?
2. How did Bobby Thompson's home run affect people?
3. What do people in Phoenix think about Nick's roots?
4. What does Nick think about meeting Klara after all these years?
5. How does Cotter get into the baseball game without paying?
6. How does Jackie Gleason entertain members of the crowd?
7. Why does Nick think his mother should move to Phoenix?
8. Why does Hoover appreciate Truman's timing in the announcement of the Soviet bomb?
9. Why is Nick upset with Marian before he leaves for work?
10. What does this section say about the Texas Highway Killer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why has the author chosen Nick and Klara's affair as the central part of his story? Choose two other characters that the author could ahve chosen as the central part of his story. How would the novel change?
Essay Topic 2
What role does baseball play in the lives of the character? What reasons does the author give for baseball's popularity? What role does baseball play in American society? Why do you think it has become so popular?
Essay Topic 3
How is the Texas Highway killing significant to the story? Why do you think the author does explore the killings and the murderer further?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)