|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nick's daughter Lainie live?
2. Where does Richard work?
3. What does Marvin tell Brian he has searched for from the Dodger Giants game?
4. What do the nuns find for Ismael?
5. In which city is Dodger Stadium?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did sister Edgar stop hitting kids?
2. Why does Nick think his mother should move to Phoenix?
3. How are Nick and Klara's lives different?
4. How do Matt and Nick's views on their father differ?
5. Who was Albert Bronzini?
6. Why is Nick upset with Marian before he leaves for work?
7. In what way are the men in the bar Nick and Sims go to all hair?
8. Why does Marian say she takes heroin?
9. What do people in Phoenix think about Nick's roots?
10. Why does Nick say his mother likes Jackie Gleason so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
How is the story about Cotter Martin linked to the rest of the story and the characters? Why doesn´t the author continue Cotter's story? How do you think he would have reacted to his father selling the baseball?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)