|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Glassic say has the baseball from the Bobby Thomson game?
2. Who accuses Cotter of skipping school?
3. What kind of company does Nick work for?
4. What does Alma do at the Friary?
5. Which of the following characters collects baseball memorabilia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does this section say about the Texas Highway Killer?
2. How does Jackie Gleason entertain members of the crowd?
3. Why does Marian say she takes heroin?
4. How did Nick's son change after the LA riots?
5. What problems does Edgar Hoover have with his appearance?
6. Who was Albert Bronzini?
7. Why did sister Edgar stop hitting kids?
8. Who was the Texas Highway Killer?
9. Who does Nick say Brian believes he is?
10. Why does Hoover appreciate Truman's timing in the announcement of the Soviet bomb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does baseball play in the lives of the character? What reasons does the author give for baseball's popularity? What role does baseball play in American society? Why do you think it has become so popular?
Essay Topic 2
How is the Texas Highway killing significant to the story? Why do you think the author does explore the killings and the murderer further?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)