|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian want to talk about instead of baseball?
2. What is the name of Matt and Nick's mother?
3. What magazine does Edgar read in this section?
4. What has Marvin hired people to examine in order to find out what happened to the baseball?
5. What does Rafferty tell Hoover?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marian react to Nick's fling with Donna?
2. What does this section say about the Texas Highway Killer?
3. How does Cotter get into the baseball game without paying?
4. What do we find out about Nick's past in this section?
5. How does Nick know Klara Sax?
6. Why does Marian say she takes heroin?
7. Who was the Texas Highway Killer?
8. How are Nick and Klara's lives different?
9. Why does Nick think his mother should move to Phoenix?
10. What problems does Edgar Hoover have with his appearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
How does the disappearance of their father effect Nick and Matt? How different would their lives have been if their father stayed?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the stories and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)