|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car is the man driving across the desert?
2. What kind of firm does Bill Patterson own?
3. What is the name of Matt and Nick's mother?
4. What company does Jane Farsih work for?
5. Who buys Marvin's baseball from him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did sister Edgar stop hitting kids?
2. Why does Nick think his mother should move to Phoenix?
3. How does Nick know Klara Sax?
4. Why does Marian say she takes heroin?
5. What did Marian always want Nick to talk about?
6. Why does Hoover appreciate Truman's timing in the announcement of the Soviet bomb?
7. How are Nick and Klara's lives different?
8. Who does Nick say Brian believes he is?
9. In what way are the men in the bar Nick and Sims go to all hair?
10. How did Bobby Thompson's home run affect people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
How is the story about Cotter Martin linked to the rest of the story and the characters? Why doesn´t the author continue Cotter's story? How do you think he would have reacted to his father selling the baseball?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)