|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rafferty tell Hoover?
2. What is the season in chapter three?
3. What is the name of Cotter's father?
4. What is the name of Klara's recently deceased husband?
5. What passion do Eddie and Albert share?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marian say she takes heroin?
2. Why did sister Edgar stop hitting kids?
3. Why does Hoover appreciate Truman's timing in the announcement of the Soviet bomb?
4. What do people in Phoenix think about Nick's roots?
5. Who was Albert Bronzini?
6. How does Jackie Gleason entertain members of the crowd?
7. How did Bobby Thompson's home run affect people?
8. What do we find out about Nick's past in this section?
9. Why is Nick upset with Marian before he leaves for work?
10. Why does Nick say his mother likes Jackie Gleason so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Klara's character at the beginning of the novel? How does her character change through the novel? How does the author express this change? What events have the biggest impact on Klara's life and why?
Essay Topic 2
What role does baseball play in the lives of the character? What reasons does the author give for baseball's popularity? What role does baseball play in American society? Why do you think it has become so popular?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)