|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nick's brother live?
2. What is the name of the woman the man driving is going to see?
3. What do the nuns find for Ismael?
4. What does Cotter find at the end of the game?
5. What does Nick stare at after his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Marian always want Nick to talk about?
2. Who was the Texas Highway Killer?
3. How did Nick's son change after the LA riots?
4. In what way are the men in the bar Nick and Sims go to all hair?
5. How did Bobby Thompson's home run affect people?
6. What problems does Edgar Hoover have with his appearance?
7. Why does Nick's wife like Nick's mother?
8. Who does Nick say Brian believes he is?
9. Why does Nick have his mother's surname instead of his father's?
10. How does Jackie Gleason entertain members of the crowd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What significance do the following events have on the story and the lives of the characters?
1. The 1951 bomb testing.
2. The 1951 world series game.
Essay Topic 3
How is the Texas Highway killing significant to the story? Why do you think the author does explore the killings and the murderer further?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)