|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman do for a living?
2. What does Rafferty tell Hoover?
3. What kind of company does Nick work for?
4. What message does Cotter have for his father?
5. What kind of car is the Texas Highway Killer driving in the tape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Marian always want Nick to talk about?
2. Why does Mike think his mother should stay in New York?
3. How are Nick and Klara's lives different?
4. Who was Albert Bronzini?
5. How do Matt and Nick's views on their father differ?
6. How did Nick's son change after the LA riots?
7. In what way are the men in the bar Nick and Sims go to all hair?
8. Why does Nick think his mother should move to Phoenix?
9. How does Cotter get into the baseball game without paying?
10. Why does Nick's wife like Nick's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What role does baseball play in the lives of the character? What reasons does the author give for baseball's popularity? What role does baseball play in American society? Why do you think it has become so popular?
Essay Topic 3
Why has the author chosen Nick and Klara's affair as the central part of his story? Choose two other characters that the author could ahve chosen as the central part of his story. How would the novel change?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)