|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard give his father before he drives to his friend's house?
2. What does Matt think has happened to their father?
3. Where does Russ Hodges interview the players?
4. What does Brian want to talk about instead of baseball?
5. What does Cotter need a note for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does this section say about the Texas Highway Killer?
2. Why did sister Edgar stop hitting kids?
3. Why does Nick think his mother should move to Phoenix?
4. How did Nick's son change after the LA riots?
5. How does Jackie Gleason entertain members of the crowd?
6. Who was the Texas Highway Killer?
7. What do people in Phoenix think about Nick's roots?
8. How does Marian react to Nick's fling with Donna?
9. Why is Nick upset with Marian before he leaves for work?
10. How do Matt and Nick's views on their father differ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the disappearance of their father effect Nick and Matt? How different would their lives have been if their father stayed?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)