|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Brian in Prescott?
2. What is the name of Cotter's father?
3. Want does Manx want to do with the baseball?
4. What does Richard give his father before he drives to his friend's house?
5. Why can Sister Alma Edgar no longer teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do people in Phoenix think about Nick's roots?
2. How does Jackie Gleason entertain members of the crowd?
3. How does Marian react to Nick's fling with Donna?
4. What did Marian always want Nick to talk about?
5. What does Sims say happened to Donnie Moore?
6. Who does Nick say Brian believes he is?
7. What do we find out about Nick's past in this section?
8. How do Matt and Nick's views on their father differ?
9. Why does Nick's wife like Nick's mother?
10. How did Nick's son change after the LA riots?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why has the author chosen Nick and Klara's affair as the central part of his story? Choose two other characters that the author could ahve chosen as the central part of his story. How would the novel change?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is Nick typical of New York? How has being from New York shaped his character?
Essay Topic 3
What role does baseball play in the lives of the character? What reasons does the author give for baseball's popularity? What role does baseball play in American society? Why do you think it has become so popular?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)