Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hoover think of when he looks at the picture by Bruegel?
2. At what kind of restaurant does Marvin eat in chapter four?
3. What company does Jane Farsih work for?
4. In which state is Phoenix?
5. What does Matt think has happened to their father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does this section state about Klara's life in the Bronx?
2. What does this section say about Klara's love life?
3. How does Nick kill George?
4. How does Manx react to the super's accusations that he stole the shovels?
5. What did Marian always want Nick to talk about?
6. What do people in Phoenix think about Nick's roots?
7. Why does Marian say she takes heroin?
8. Describe the life Nick had growing up?
9. What does Nick think about meeting Klara after all these years?
10. What does Hoover discuss with Clyde Tolson in this section?
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)