|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which state is Phoenix?
2. What does Rafferty tell Hoover?
3. What does Nick stare at after his dream?
4. Who does Nick remember at the end of the chapter who has been dead for years?
5. What kind of company does Nick work for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mike think his mother should stay in New York?
2. What did Marian always want Nick to talk about?
3. How does Nick know Klara Sax?
4. How does Marian react to Nick's fling with Donna?
5. Who does Nick say Brian believes he is?
6. What do people in Phoenix think about Nick's roots?
7. Why does Nick's wife like Nick's mother?
8. How are Nick and Klara's lives different?
9. Why does Hoover appreciate Truman's timing in the announcement of the Soviet bomb?
10. Who was the Texas Highway Killer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Cold War effect American society in the fifties? How are characters such as Nick effected by the events of the Cold War later on in their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)