Prologue, pgs. 11-60
* Outside a ballpark, kids watching people enter suddenly charge through the turnstiles. Most of the kids are caught. Cotter is one of the first to succeed.
* Russ Hodges introduces the 1951 World Series between the Giants and the Dodgers.
* A man called Bill Waterson, a construction firm owner, starts talking to Cotter. Other people at the game include Jackie Gleason, Frank Sinatra and J. Edgar Hoover.
* Special Agent Rafferty approaches Hoover to tell him the Russians have just tested a nuclear bomb. Hoover decides to stay and watch the game.
* The Giants player Bobby Thomson wins the game with a home run.
* During the celebrations Cotter comes in possession of the baseball. He refuses to sell it.
Part I, Chapters 1-3, pgs. 63-100
* Nick Shay is driving through the desert to visit the famous artist Klara Sax. Now 57, he hasn't seen her since he was 17.
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)